Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping Post

Options
  • 19-05-2022 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Thinking of exploring a transfer to another school within our ETB scheme, in order for a reduced commute. I have an AP1 post and will lose that, of course.

Just trying to figure out the financial, pension, implications, etc. before going about this. Would love to hear if anyone has done something similar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

You will loose 4K + a year on pension for rest of your life .That’s 80 euro a week .Not to be done rashly .You won’t save that in fuel and if you’re going to be alive longer after pension than before it’s a strong reason to stay put .You will loose roughly the same cash in your pocket so the only bonus is the time saved commuting and doing post . Unless you hate it I’d stay put

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are you sure you will lose it while staying within the ETB?

Is that a new thing?

How long have you had the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Ah right , yeah ETB May be different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Thanks for replies folks, really appreciate it.

Have post only since 2019, but yes, would lose it if transfer within ETB I think???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It certainly used to be the case that after a certain number of years the post was 'yours' and went with you on a transfer.

Caused much merriment in the new school where folk may have been queueing up to try for the next post due, which would not now happen due to the transfer in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Thanks for the replies folks.

I have given it a lot of thought, and will sit tight this year.

Yes, commuting costs are increasing, as is the general cost of living, and as a result of this really I have decided to stay put with the post. Add to the pension contributions (in spite of the tax, it is still an attractive part of the package), I feel I can bear the commute for another year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Same question but in primary. I have an AP2 post and am thinking of resigning it at the end of the summer. Working conditions have become unbearable in my school and the DP is leaving for a new job but for my own mental health I can't be dealing with the principal.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Just be aware things can change quickly in life and schools. How long is the Principal from retirement?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Personally I think there are often easier ways to earn the 2k after tax a B post generates.

People bang on about their pension. Who is guaranteed to make it to 60 or 65?? and there are other ways to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

To be fair, life expectancy in Ireland is about 82, so most of us will make to 65 and beyond. Some people bought a house later in life, were older having kids - might have college fees to pay, maybe have health issues, have an elderly parent to take care of, so for some the extra bit on the pension is a real consideration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Sounds like my place. Remember you can resign the post at any time, it doesn't have to be at the end of an academic year. Depending on what your post is, do everything by email. It limits the contact you have with the principal and also serves as a paper trail should you need it in the future. If it really does become so bad then you can resign it at any time.

I have a B post and have conducted my duties for the entire year this year without setting foot in the principal's office once - for my own sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

I don't know your circumstances but I'd sweat it out for 3 years.

I recall one of our teachers could easily have taken early retirement but he said he was staying around just to annoy the principal (who was actually very nice!).

Bit spiteful I know, but it just goes to show he considered himself the man in charge of his class every day and he was his own boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Just an update. I resigned my post last Friday. Couldn't do it anymore. I haven't looked into any of the pension implications but our finances are fairly okay and will have our mortgage paid in around 5 years so I'll look into topping up pension with avcs then. 3 years may be short but mentally I couldn't do it anymore. So better to worry about my current mental health than pension which is still minimum 21 to 22 years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bluespecs

Sounds like a good plan. You will have many opportunities to take up a POR again in the future should you choose to do so. Enjoy the peace and quiet and have a nice, congratulatory, relaxing glass of something for yourself to toast your lovely new life!

Advertisement