Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole 'summer bonus' .. are they for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well if a person of able body and mind doesn't want to pay his or her own way, why should I or anyone else? People with substance abuse or mental health issues need to be looked after but once they have recovered if they ever do then they should be told to get out and get a job. If you look at my language and I will highlight it people of able body and mind. I would say someone with either mental health or substance abuse issues would not be in this bracket.

You still have not answered my question

Why should a person of able body and mind be allowed sit at home doing SFA for years while there are jobs out there that need filling and expect to be compensated in dole money?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The people in your bolded text who refuse to work for years and decades on end are in such small number that I honestly don't give a sh*te.

You're trying to pump up a fanstasy land that this is a problem. The reality is the numbers are so small, that it's mostly in your head.

Talk to the priest, the rabbai or the wife.

Well I do care about it and I reckon the vast majority of people who have to get up at silly o clock in the morning and pay through the nose for everything like petrol, rent/mortgage, childcare and other costs do too. No one should expect a free ride and you still have not answered the question.

Why should a person of able body and mind be allowed sit at home doing SFA for years while there are jobs out there that need filling and expect to be compensated in dole money?

The vast majority of people don't care about it. They get on with their lives and know that the price of petrol or interest rates have nothing to do with a fictional army of people on the dole and trampolines concocted by Thatcherite cranks.

Your hilarious. Talk about avoiding the question. The truth is there are people of able body and mind on the long term unemployment list regardless of the size. The size of it should be zero so even having one person on here is one person to many. So answer the question

• Advertisement

"The size should be zero"

Good luck with that Margaret. Let us know when you achieve terminal velocity with your fantasy land Stalinist workschemes, and best of luck smoking out all the able bodied people who are on the jobseekers forever.

Look, speaking of productivity, I have work to do.

Yesterday I had the day off (don't know about you). Pull on the green jersey and do some work eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,936 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Jaysis you do talk some amount of shite without actually saying anything of note. You've been out again waving around your P60 in a pathetic attempt to gain some sort of morale high ground yet you can't even answer a simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just a reminder for those who think the DSP is a soft touch. This is happening all the time and with other payments. The DSP have to oddest policy were they'll notify some one that a payment has been awarded and not notify if a payment has been suspended or closed.

They can be brutal when they want, this but one example of what goes on in the real world.

And before any glib comments, remember this lady, along with 1000"s like her save the state millions by caring for people at home, 24 hours a day and often for years.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

A stopped clock gets the time right twice a day. Even Eddie Hobbs got a recession prediction right once.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

That isn't true. There is a problem in this country with generation after generation of cradle to grave Dole recipients. I can see it in my own town, most people around the country can. Take a look at any of the Council estates in any city in Ireland and you'll find that a huge proportion of the properties are occupied by people who've never worked a day in their lives, never have and never will because they're happy to live on a low income with a low rent. Pump out a few kids and the State will pay for them. Now with most new housing estates having to provide a percentage of the properties as Social Housing, the neighbours get to go to work at silly O'Clock to pay a mortgage of a couple of hundred thousand only to see the neighbours in the Council owned house sleeping soundly in their 60 quid a week forever home.

If the working stiff doesn't pay the mortgage the house gets repossessed but if the Council tenants don't pay then there's no real penalty for it. I'm not for a second condemning the majority of Council house/Social housing tenants, most are decent sorts who work to provide for them and their families, but this nonsense pretending that there's not a significant number of scroungers on the scratch needs to stop. If people can breed them they need to feed em themselves. I'm looking at several families in my town with between 6 and 8 kids each, neither parent works or ever has. Some on disability, **** it, if you can father a child you can get off your hole and work to provide for it. That crap needs to end.

It's not funny when you're looking at these people stood waiting for a taxi home with 2 or 3 full shopping trolleys while more and more people are changing to cheaper brands and watching what they spend. The fact that we've a problem and we do have a problem, with whole generations of families doing this needs to end. Grandparents, then their kids, then their kids and so on and so on are at this and it's a nice little earner. For most people rent or mortgage is their biggest monthly expense, when you remove that it's all gravy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

2021 though is a terrible year to look at because half of Europe was under lockdown for a large proportion of that year.

Stats from 2020 to 2021 are going to be all messed up because of the pandemic.

This is older and granted, may be out of date but still interesting.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/why-is-it-many-irish-people-of-working-age-don-t-seem-to-want-a-job-1.3196185

OECD data shows that as of end-2015 (latest figures available) the Republic had a participation rate of just 81.4 per cent in this age group, indicating that almost two in every 10 adults within this age group were out of the workforce.

This puts us third last out of EU countries, and seventh last out of the 36 OECD countries, far behind Sweden, Slovenia, Iceland and Switzerland, all which have rates above 90 per cent, and also behind the UK (85.8 per cent) but marginally ahead of the US (80.9 per cent).

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Juran

I believe in welfare or social asistance for everyone who needs it. I actually strongly feel people (single & couples) on low incomes should get welfare support in the form on housing support (afforable or rent), a type of medical card, fuel and other allowances, that is currently handed out to the LTU and single mothers on benefits. I have full respect for low income earners, they too could sit on their ass and take the generous hand outs and not contribute to society, but they chose to work.

The government needs to see the benefits to society and the country econmics when they support low income earners to the same degree (and better) that they support LTU. I have zero data on this but I suspect there are huge advantages to supporting low income earners, ensuring they continue to work eg. Lower crime as people are too busy working to be hanging about, their kids getting a full education thus higher chance the kids will work, payment into the tax system, etc.

Where do you draw the line do? Say we set 20k and under as low incomes then those on 21k and up to 30k odd are less well off than those on 20k and the same issues exist no matter what point you place as being low income. Its like the current dole system people on the dole in a lot of cases are better off than some working. We really need to sit back and look at this as its a ridiculous situation we find ourselves in that the money gained from welfare competes financially with working

"Forever home" "Cradle to grave dole recipients" "huge proportion of people who have never worked a day in their lives"

That's a full bingo card right there.

Look, we've been dealing with the hard data here. What you are alleging isn't based in reality, and is for the most part in your head. We've raked through the data in the thread, what you are alleging is a gross exaggeration of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Juran

It can be incremental. The more you earn above X wages, your support decreases. A phased welfare support system so there is an incentive to go out and work.

I know a family in France. Daughter was a single mom of one child, has since married and now has 3 kids in total. She worked odd jobs before she had her first child, she never finished school. Once her first child was less than a year old, her state maternity support ran out and was moved to benefits. She took a nightshift job in a factory as she couldnt live on the benefits. Her parents helped with the child, plus daycare was free so she could get some sleep while the child was in daycare. She also recieved a social apartment for a small rental fee, based on earnings. 3 kids and a husband later, she still works factory shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

75,000 long term unemployed. Don't even get me started on the bogus Disability benefit claimants. Open your eyes and see what's in front of your face.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-vows-to-get-75000-long-term-unemployed-people-back-to-work-1156138.html

For accuracy: Q1 2022 long term unemployed is 43,700

Source: CSO Labour Force Survey Quarter 1 2022. Feel free to look it up

Total unemployment year on year decreased by 25% over the course of the year.

You want the situation to be worse than it is. I don't know why that it is, only you can explain that yourself. Deal with the facts, not with whatever is powering your sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

thats 88.7 million wasted a week on longterm that the social don't wanna sort or 4.6 billion a year

crazy

What are you going to do about it apart from crow on the internet? You going to toss people who likely have issues out onto the street?

We've been heading towards record low long term unemployment.

You'd think you'd be happy about it.

Reconcile yourself that long term unemployment of whatever scale will always be with us, in Ireland and every developed market economy.

As an alternative pointless thing to get angry about, may I suggest writing angry letters to Met Éireann about the weather?

Lunchtime over, back to prodictivity for me. I suggest you do the same and don't sweat it.

• Advertisement

and i know we will have longterm unemployed i'm not stupid , but 80 % of that are gougers so long on it that the social welfare won't say boo to them , yes there are people with serious illness etc , no problem with that

it's the absolute waste and nobody being accountable for it , the attitude is " sure they have been there for ever "

I don't know why you're so upset about the country heading towards record low long term unemployment.

Heaven forbid the Q2 CSO results show an improvement.

As I advised another poster, perhaps talk to your priest / rabbi / Imam about your spiritual malady.

Can you point us towards the CSO "gouger statistical set"?

We'd all love to see where you got your 80 percent figure from. It seems awfully precise and we're worried you might have fudged the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

When did JSA hit 2 grand a week? I'll pack my job in for that.

I had actually missed his Fisher Price calculator error.

But shur, when we're on dole thread rager, should we really split hairs about overstating a figure by a factor of 10!

Haha now you've really thrown in the towel!

You wouldn't like my Mam, she has a degree in mathematics and wouldn't be long giving you the wooden spoon for miscalculting a sum by a factor of 10.

Have you anything to contribute after making a tit of yourself beyond Mom jokes?

A little white flag may be more appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

We know for a fact that we have led Europe in joblessness, that is a simple fact.

Note that joblessness is wider than unemployment.

The rate has fallen, thankfully.

A related measure is Very Low Work Intensity - we are leader at amount of VLWI people and households.

This has been established over and over again.

Advertisement