Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

I completely agree with Kerry underachieving Kerry have done absolutely nothing of note in the last 5/6 years and have lost pretty much any big championship game they've played.

On the other hand I think Mayo with the talent available to them have greatly overachieved in the last few years I mean if Mayo had just one of Kerry or Dublin's forwards they'd have won at least 1 all Ireland it is their organisation, fitness and sheer will that drags through games that frankly they have no business winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Avon8

There was 24k there that day and it was said multiple times in the media or by anyone reasonable that the ratio was about 3:1, so stop being hyperbolic

Mayo, with the aid of having zero other sports teams to follow, have managed to monitise the type of fan who only goes to All Irelands in other counties. Fair play to them on that because nobody else has done it. These people go to all Mayo games and term themselves superfans. Curiously they go to zero club games, wouldn't watch an All Ireland semi if Mayo weren't playing and can barely name an opposition player in the country bar David Clifford. The vast majority of Mayo lads I know from college that actually played football will refuse to go to the stand for any Mayo home game nowadays as is the utter manure being shouted from people who barely know the rules. Either that or Mayo, Mayo, Mayo. Original

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Nowhere close to a sell out IMO. Kerry will expect a tighter game than the league final but will still expect to win and travel for the Dublin game 2 weeks after and the final 2 week after that so they'll have 5-8k max. Mayo will have a decent crowd but not to the levels of previous years, maybe 15-20k. I think Galway will have poor enough support, ~5-10k, the hurlers play this weekend in Thurles and if they win, a good few supporters will hang on for the later rounds. Armagh will probably have the best support as they have won two games against big teams and have a reasonable chance of beating another, I'd say 18-23k. Add say 3k neutrals and it leaves you looking at 55k, I think the GAA would be delighted with that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

They shouldn’t be looking at higher than €30 for these games if they want to attract crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭tanko

Knockbride, Peter, Larry and Michael Reilly. Those lads could run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

No bring a friend option for the season ticket holders, they really don't give a sh!te about the supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 10,383 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

€40 for Stand tickets. Not sure about Terrace tickets.

Don't think the hill is open. €40 for Davin anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Maybe you should address the issue rather than provide a throwaway glib remark. It's called playing the ball rather than the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'm not sure Horan will put O'Hora marking Clifford. Maybe Keegan or Mullen are more likely.

In fact, is O'Hora even certain to be starting ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

You're posts on here are hilarious! you're trying to wind people up and they're just laughing at ya.

Were you at that game in Castlebar? I was,just like I've been to almost every Mayo Galway game for 35 years.

It's not even a point of contention or argument even amongst Galway people,its just a fact.We give them grief about it,they give us grief about losing all irelands.Those barbs annoy each set of supporters because they are true,yet here we have some eejit with a less than stellar posting history not from either County trying to tell us differently?!

It's the sure sign of an idiot when a person says some thing like zero Mayo fans go to club games or know opposition players. I go to club games and know opposition players so that's that argument out the window without even acknowledging the thousands of others who do aswell.

You've embarrassed yourself enough on this thread,take a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

The Hill is open which is great,going to be some atmosphere up there on Sunday week,Armagh will be a big crowd and a lot of colour too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Maybe just hope it's a warm day and Cliffords stamina deficit triggers another mental breakdown similar to what happened against Tyrone last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

16,425 at the qualifiers on Sunday according to Eoin Sheehan on Off The Ball. The GAA really need to consider using other venues as people are clearly voting with their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

And Mayo deserve loads of credit for they keep coming back, less than two years to revamp the side and back knocking on the door again. Most consistent team in the country for the last 20 years, league/championship, easily.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

I think they might get 60k there for Sunday. Armagh should bring a massive crowd & while Mayo folk might not be giving themselves too much of a chance now, give them a week or so to trick themselves into believing again and you'll see a big crowd of them.

Also as a Galway fan, I know we often don't show in massive numbers, but I could see a bigger amount than usual heading up for it. There's a bit more optimism about this team and it's the first big day in Croke Park since the Walsh era, people will want to get behind PJ.

It's also a genuinely fascinating matchup against a serious Armagh team which should be a cracker of a match as long as the team show's up. Nostalgia of Paul Clancy in 2001 also could play a part.

A mental breakdown due to a stamina deficit is certainly an alternative view to the reality of getting a leg injury by going for a 50/50 ball after a terrible pass from a team mate.

Well apart from Dublin with their 8 AIs and 16 Leinsters and numerous Leagues now don't forget 😉 but the rest of your point I do agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

He cramped and not for the first time. Soft ground or hot days don't suiqt him. He's a fantastic player without a doubt but he has a flaw.

• Advertisement

Serves the GAA right no qualifier games should be in Croke Park simple as. The only games that should be in Croker are league finals provincial final and QF's onwards simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

When will tickets go on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I think it is really remarkable the way they have kept coming back; and I think you lack something as a sports and GAA fan if you can't appreciate and applaud that.

I was lucky enough to win 4 senior county medals by 25, but i spent the next 6 years trying to win another one and we failed. We lost 3 county finals in replays and two semi finals in that time. To this day it still burns and annoys me( I was captain for two replayed finals), so much so it devalues the other achievements. That was in a weak football county with no profile for footballers, maybe a few thousand at the finals.

To keep coming back on a national stage for your entire career with a really high profile, the continued disappointments, derision of high profile players on social media etc etc. Getting really close to on a couple of occasions to the best team in history of game and to keep dusting themselves down is truly remarkable.

They will earn it this year; they have to beat Kerry, Dublin and the best of the other side of draw to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭MacDanger

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That was only a decade though. All those Dublin teams from the 00's dilute iit a bit when looking at it from a 20 year point of view.

Still annoys me the eejitry that went on with Dublin in that 00's era. The fecking amount of heartbreak. I know Mayo could say, try being a Mayo fan etc. But Mayo seem to bounce back. Dublin seemed to fold like a deckchair under the smallest pressure in the 00's.

--

I think I will go to the Mayo v Kerry match, and Armagh v Galway. Two good games. I wonder if there will be many neutrals like me at them? I would say there would.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

Well said, absolutely insufferable year in year out

You're about the furthest thing from a neutral where Kerry are involved Gorm, no matter how much you profess to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Agree, except that Leinster finals should only be on a case by case basis.

True actually no harm in Portlaoise or Tullamore getting a Leinster Final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Imagine Athy got the Leinster final when Carlow beat Dublin in 1944.

No disrespect to Athy, but I wonder were there any Kildare people saying Newbridge or Nowhere to the Leinster Council!

Advertisement