Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Porter, Kelleher, Furlong...oh wait, you mean the ABs.

I think one the two LH will be Bower, I honestly haven't seen enough of the chiefs this season to comment on Ross or Ta'avao. The selection of Tu'inukuafe is terrible.

Hookers should be Taukei'aho who is probably the best front row forward in NZ at present, with one of Coles or Taylor

TH will be Laulala and Tuungafasi. (I don't rate Jager and I highly rate Newell who I think will be in the ABs team within 18 months)

Locks should be Whitelock, Barrett and Retallick, but once again I haven't seen enough of the Chiefs to really comment on Lord and Vaa'i

Loosies will be cane, savea, Ioane and papalii I would think.

Halves will be smith and fakatava, Barrett and probably Mounga, but Perofeta is having a fantastic season.

Midfield - the only certainly is 13 Ioane, I'm not sure who they will put at 12 but I would go with RTS or Tupaea.

Outside backs - Barrett will be at 15, Jordan (who is currently NZ back of the year albeit at fullback) at 14 and either reece or Clarke at 11.

The backs should be very dangerous, but I don't really rate the NZ tight forwards at present, outside of Taukei'aho. I'm thinking Ireland might sadly be a bit too tired (especially the Leinster continent) to really compete, but we see. If Ireland are to have any chance, they have to win the first test. TBH, I'm not currently seeing either NZ or Ireland winning RWC 2023, really don't think Ireland have found an alternative to Sexton, who is nearing the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

@swiwi_ I think Big Karl is a better scrummage than Ross or Ta'avao and that's why I'd go with him. Bower is a better rugby player so I'd bring him on with 30 to go. However it is strange that they picked Tu'inukuafe as he is off to Montpelier next season and won't be at the RWC.

Newell looks a good prospect. Strong NPC and then a good SR season next year could see him in ABs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

interesting, i was wondering should they have just let them score with time on the clock, vaguely remember the patriots doing something similar in a super bowl a few years ago. didnt work out for them though i think

pure scutter

the physicality thing has become popular due to half the sports journos in ireland not having a notion about rugby and most likely have never played the game. as ive said elsewhere, leinster lost the final because barnes refused to give any cards despite repeated infringements

this is coming from a staunch munster fan who wanted to see o gara and donncha ryan winning silverware, but in all honesty leinster were fairly robbed. i didnt see too much of the bulls game but it looked like there were some very dodgy calls in that game too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

Laughable IMO a first win against All Blacks in NZ is deemed by some not a successful tour on its own.One win for me will be a brillant result and would take that all day long.Competitive in all other matches would be added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

its all relative though.

in terms of the previous results ireland have had in NZ, one win would be huge

in terms of challenging for the RWC, a series win would be needed realistically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

in terms of challenging for the RWC, a series win would be needed realistically

Not necessarily. We won in Australia in 2018 while England got pumped by South Africa.

That's not to say a series win wouldn't be fantastic. But if even if that happens, we can't just stand still until September next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We could win the series 3-0 and people would still complain that we're peaking too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Go hell for leather in the first test, starting Sexton, and try get a win on NZ soil.

Then regardless of that result, Joey gets the second test and someone else (I'm increasingly thinking it should be Burns) gets the third. Johnny benching for both.

If that means eating a 3-0 lost series, I genuinely don't care. Other people, I am sure, will think differently to me.

Really hope we see Coombes feature prominently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think that's about the way I would go! Sexton for one start! Next in line for the other 2.

I hope HB or Healy are included if even for the Maori games!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

'Journalists haven't a clue'

'We lost because of the ref'

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Ireland squad out later today. Thought I'd heard it was going to be out tomorrow initially. https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1536614169432186881?t=4gP-FMZmFj6lpqdMYBMHHQ&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I would half agree, that we need to move on from Sexton, but I suppose it’s rare enough to tour NZ, I’d prefer to see the best possibly team selected, and not worry too much about the World Cup 15 months away. If there’s a close call then fair enough choose the option more likely to be in the World Cup squad, but if Sexton for example is still comfortably the best option then I’d start him for all three. If Bur a or Carbery outperform him in training then that’s a different proposition. I like Burns, I think he could be the one to step into the 10 shirt for the next year or so at least.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think Ireland have long outgrown this small time thinking.

Since the Chicago game (inclusive) we've played them 5 times and won 3. I think we can stop celebrating individual match victories against them as some monumental achievement at this point.

Yes, we've never won in NZ, but a lot of this is down to the fact we hardly ever play there, rather than us going there all the time and always losing. 10 years since we last played there, it's unfortunate we never got to tour NZ when we were at our pomp.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not sure how soundbites like this help.

We could lose 3-0 and other people will try suggest things are fine, we're just keeping our powder dry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

They moved it forward after all the teams got knocked out of the URC at the weekend.. majority of players are all ready in camp. Ulster obviously have been travelling back from South Africa and will coming in shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If being helpful is the bar, then we're both in trouble.

We can lose 3-0 and still bring some positives home.

Heard a rumour Murray is in the squad. Hopefully not true.

• Murray signed a new central contract last December, I'd eat my own shite if he wasn't on that plane. Not saying he deserves to be going by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Squad named

Ireland Summer Tour Squad 2022

Backs (18)

Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 37 caps

Harry Byrne (Leinster/Lansdowne) 2 caps

Joey Carbery (Munster/Clontarf) 32 caps

Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 5 caps

Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 96 caps

Ciaran Frawley (Leinster/Skerries) uncapped

Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 17 caps

Mack Hansen (Connacht) 4 caps

Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 57 caps

James Hume (Ulster/Banbridge) 3 caps

Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 20 caps

Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 30 caps

James Lowe (Leinster) 12 caps

Michael Lowry (Ulster/Banbridge) 1 cap

Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 96 caps

Jimmy O’Brien (Leinster/Naas) uncapped

Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 42 caps

Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 105 caps CAPTAIN

Forwards (22)

Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 8 caps

Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 23 caps

Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 30 caps

Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 27 caps

Gavin Coombes (Munster/Young Munster) 2 caps

Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 17 caps

Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 57 caps

Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 116 caps

Dave Heffernan (Connacht/Buccaneers) 6 caps

Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 68 caps

Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 26 caps

Jeremy Loughman (Munster/Garryowen) uncapped

Joe McCarthy (Leinster/Dublin) uncapped

Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 84 caps

Tom O’Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 2 caps

Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 43 caps

Cian Prendergast (Connacht) uncapped

James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 43 caps

Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 7 caps

Nick Timoney (Ulster/Banbridge) 2 caps

Kieran Treadwell (Ulster/Ballymena) 5 caps

Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 40 caps

Robert Baloucoune, Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell and Ronan Kelleher have been ruled out of the Tour through injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

And by position which is handy. It's a very large squad so I'm not sure who/what I should be outraged about yet. I'm sure there's something.

• Harry Byrne, jesus wept.

Ben Healy hard done by to be honest

• Surprised by Dave Heffernan too. Thought he had a very poor season. Shane Delahunt would have been a better option tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd say Billy Burns would have bigger complaints. Either way, the third 10 jersey wasn't exactly won by anybody.

• Would echo that, thought he would have the 3rd outhalf spot. The 3rd #10 jersey continues to be a merry-go-round.

• Not overly surprised by Healy's omission. He played well earlier in the season when he was starting games. His appearance off the bench when it appeared they were trying to play Carbery back into form, were nothing special at all at all. Just surprised its Harry Byrne going as 3rd choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

Yeah because our chances at a RWC 15 months away all hinges on who our substitute loosehead prop is...

Well then stop whinging about size and power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'd prefer Delahunt too but he is injured so was never really in contention for this tour

Advertisement