Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Always room for more😊 great to have you on board!

You have a decent base which is always good. Your race times are really good too & great to have a very recent 5k to go by. Ideally doing the boards plan you would do 5 days but with a fair bit of cycling you should be ok. As for changing around the Wednesday session, it shouldn't cause too much of a problem but again we can look at that closer to the time. Your times would suggest a sub 3:30 which is a great goal to have but we can look at this more deeper into the plan.

Yes it does seem to be inevitable as a runner to eventually run a marathon & then you get the bug to run more after that, in fairness not a bad mid-life crisis🤣

Very best of luck on your journey

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Masch8933

Anyone following the Maffetone concept to their training, it seems to be very effective. I will be using 80/20 plan and currently trying to keep my heart rate as low as possible on runs but I think between the heat here and having to battle some hills just outside my house cause the heart rate to go a bit higher than I'd want currently

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I don't use Maff but do keep an eye on HR for easy runs and try and stay in Z2 for the majority of my mileage. What I have heard about MAF and if you are trying to stick to it rigidly is that you should walk those hills and try and run when it's less warm, if possible, as both of those factors increase your HR but I'm no expert and maybe the mentors have some more educated advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hi Masch 8933 - I'll answer that one as I've used the 80/20 method previously and have gotten into the habit of assessing effort levels by heart rate. I'm not familiar with Maffetone as such, but like any method that's HR based it's only as good as the accuracy of the heart rate data you have.

While novice marathon threads try to keep things simple, I think training by heart rate, if it's something you want to do, is the approach you should take - especially in your situation with heat and hills. So if you are confident you know your resting and maximum heart rate and are measuring it accurately (with a chest strap for example, the optical sensors on some watches are pretty unreliable), I'd say go right ahead and run your easy (zone 2) and recovery (zone 1) paced runs by heart rate. You'll find your HR going down as you get fitter/

If your terrain is hilly, yes, you'll be running slower than normal at those efforts - that's the nature of the game. Occasional spikes are OK, but you'll need the average to be within the zone. HR is a good method, but if you are using it, you need to commit to it.

Do you have accurate HR information? How did you test your maximum?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

So @Laineyfrecks @Lambay island @Murph_D you are probably going to kill me for this but I have pulled together a training plan based on the boards plan but modified to take into account my week. I've used the Long Run sessions and mid week PMP sessions almost exactly but converted to km (I know!!) and time based on my rough LR pace and PMP pace.

This keeps my week the same as it has been over the last few months but uses the boards sessions so hopefully I am on the same page as everyone else.

@Lambay island - based on what you said before this brings the time allocated down from 8 hours in the heavy weeks to 7 hours as the LSR's are shorter than in the plan I was looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

Hi all - long time lurker, first time poster

• How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

After a 2 year hiaitus from running because of injury and 2(!) new babies, I slowly began to increae mileage at the start of this year once I realised that I never cancelled my 2020 marathon entry.

Currently running about 30km/week, having dropped down from 50km after developing an achilles niggle a few weeks back. Train maybe 4-5 days/week.

• Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

In fits and starts, mostly interrupted by injury. My latest decent bout of training finished with a 10k pB of 37:45 and a 5k PB of 17:52, back in late 2019. I've run one parkrun since returning to training, finishing in 18:45, but felt I had a bit more in the tank.

• What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

First aim is to make the startline. I've had an awful time with injuries, mostly my fault for pushing too hard.

My ultimate dream is to run a sub-3 marathon, but I realise that it might be a little(!!) ambitious for my first time, so maybe something in the region of 3:10-3:15 might be more realistic.

• How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

Optimistically hoping for 5-6 days/week, but I've seen over the last while that young kids and training plans don't mix awfully well!

No real plan right now, but I'm working my way through the 80/20 running book at the moment, so might pick up something from that.

• What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?

Biggest fear is getting injured close to the marathon day. I've already had a niggle or two, but reckon it's better to iron out any problems at this stage rather than later on.

• Why are you running this marathon?

Mainly that I forgot to cancel my 2020 entry and given that I got an entry through the lottery, I'd hate to see it go to waste.

I've heard that Dublin is a great event, and if I do one marathon in my life (which might be the case), then this is the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

😃

I don't see too much wrong with what you have done. You are including the main sessions, 2 build up races and have factored in easy/rest days after as far as I can see.

Hi onrail,

Welcome...

Some swift times there over 5k and 10km. Have you completed any half marathons?

@Murph_D is our expert on the 80/20 plan so he may weigh in at some stage. Have you looked at the boards plan as a matter of interest?

You mention you are running 30km a week at present. Are you feeling anything on the achilles doing that distance? Is it the case you feel you can increase that in a few weeks?

I would certainly be advising you to ease yourself in on the paces front and initially working your paces off your most recent parkrun. If you get chance to attempt another in next week or 2 it may give you a better indication of where you are. Its important to train to where your fitness is as opposed to your desired fitness or previous 2019 times. In terms of a marathon target, you will then have the full picture of where you are after a few weeks of the plan.

Dublin is a great event and the support is phenomenal along the route. You may just want to do it that again once you have that joyful experience first time by not pushing yourself too much.

Post edited by Lambay island on

Hey, I use my watch for the HR but I plan to invest in a good chest strap for accurate readings.

To determine my HR zones previously I did a lactate threshold run but before training starts I may get it test in a lab locally here to be even more accurate

Great advice Lambay and what a talented runner.

I have to admit I'm sick looking at those times off so little mileage and two babies as well.

Lucky I enjoy the health benefits of running or I'd be hanging up my runners after reading that lol.

• Advertisement

Good stuff, because without this accurate information you won't be able to carry off the 80/20 method successfully, and would probably be better off with another plan instead. Luckily we have a couple available here, so think about whether the Boards plan (which was designed by a very knowledgeable coach specifically for marathon debutants) or the Hal Hidden plan (another good pedigree there) might be more suitable. Your call -we'll help you out either way, to the best of our ability! 🙂

Hi onrail, some excellent background there and it's interesting that you're also considering the 80/20 - the same caveat applies to my previous post above - I'd advise that you make sure you have certainty about your resting and max HR, and a good chest strap, before committing to this method. You're working through the book - you'll see there are several versions of each plan, so let us know exactly which one you're thinking of doing. What brought you to this method out of interest, and have you used it before for any of the other distances? You have excellent background, but as a marathon debutant scaling up the mileage and with that niggle to worry about, you might benefit from the flexibility of the Boards plan. Something to think about! Good luck over the next few weeks of prep and watch that achilles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

@Lambay island

Thanks a million for the feedback. I last did a HM way back in maybe 2016-2017, somewhere in the high 1:27s, but I wouldn't say my training at the time was super targeted to that distance. The achilles feels fine at my current distance, maybe with a slight tingle every now and then. I'm doing a small bit of rehab based on internet guides and advice from a physio a while back. It's definitely still a worry, but I'd hope to get back up to 40-45k before the end of the month.

@Murph_D

I pretty much just stumbled onto the 80/20 book, so not overly committed to it yet. I do usually run my easy and long runs to (wrist) HR anyway, usually staying around 70-75% of max. I don't yet have a HRM, but I might treat myself shortly. I suspect flexibility will be key, so you might be 100% right with me going for the boards plan.

Hello onrail, good to have you on board. Some really good times there but I would have to agree with Lambay island that it's best to work to current fitness. You have a good base too so I think, like Murph_D suggested that the boards plan would be a good plan for you, I used it & found it really good for my 1st marathon.

Dublin is amazing, as my 1st the support & encouragement from the crowds was something else. I was only ever doing 1 marathon as part of a bucket list & now I'm hooked🤣

Very best of luck in your journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dublin334

Hi All

I haven't used Boards before but I was telling a friend of mine over the weekend that I had signed up for the marathon. He is an experienced runner and immediately advised following the Novices thread on DCM as the best way to prepare for a first marathon. I have read through all the posts so far and can see the wisdom of his advice.

I only picked up running a couple of years ago having been encouraged at home to give the local ParkRun a go. Its been a bit stop start with a few niggly achilles and calf injuries but I generally try and cover 2-3 runs per week of the 5km - 10km distance.

• I have done Park Runs and some 5 Mile races - 5km PB 21:14 (05/05/21) ,10km 46:34 (12/02/22), 1/2 Marathon 1:48:56 (07/01/22)

• Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    • No I am able to keep running

• How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    • 2-3 runs per week and average around 100km per month for the last few months

• What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    • I'd like to target completing the marathon in under 4 hours. Not sure how realistic that is as the furthest I have ever run is 1/2 marathon in 1hr 50 mins

• Typically run 3 times per week but some weeks 4 or 5. I don't know which plan to follow, looking for a steer on this one.

My biggest fear is to pick up an injury that would derail the training.

• One of those bucket list things I suppose. I've really enjoyed the energy and goodwill of Park Runs and 5 Mile Races so I can only imagine the thrill of completing a marathon.

Thanks to all the posts so far. I'd love to get pointed in the right direction on which plan to lock in to. I was amazed when I read about East Runs being done at such a slow pace. It seems counter intuitive to running fast times if you are not training at the same speed.

Very welcome to the thread Dublin334! Just like you I was brand new to boards when I did my 1st marathon & I am so glad I found it as the knowledge & encouragement given from it is invaluable.

You have some very nice times there & a decent base. Goal times are good to have but again as the training progresses we can look more closely at them. I would be advising the Boards plan for you, I think it will suit you. If you follow the plan sensibly hopefully we will keep those niggles at bay. Just like you my marathon was to be a bucket list thing but now I'm hooked. I can honestly say the thrill & sense of achievement from finishing your 1st marathon is truly amazing! You won't regret it.

Very best best of luck with your journey & please ask any questions at all.

Not long now till the plans kick into place. For anyone lurking please join in. The more people we have the better & we can all support each other. Please don't worry if you feel your times aren't great, thats not what it's about, completing your 1st marathon no matter what the time is such an achievement so please join in😊

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Hi all,

Another some time A&R lurker here :)

Not since 2019 but I did do some of the 'virtual' ones in 2020 and 2021 - these are where the PBs are from(do they count??) 5K 23:31 June 2020, 10K 48:38 April 2021, HM 1:55 October 2020

• Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No

For the last 2 years I usually run 3 times a week - normally 2 mid-week runs between 7km-10km and then at the weekend I would do a 12km-15km. Would do at least 100km per month(never much more but always made sure to hit the 100) Since February I've made a conscious effort to up the mileage with a view to starting a marathon programme, so last month I did just over 150km. Also steadily increased my weekend run distance. I should be good to run 4/5 times a week once I start a programme. New territory for me though as my longest run is just over 22km(a few weeks ago)

Absolute dream would be just under 4. I think/hope under 4:30 is realistic. But I am prepared to adjust that upwards depending how training goes, etc.

Should be good for 4/5 days a week. I found a link to the 2019 Modified Boards plan a few months ago and that's what I plan to follow. I work in km so converted the plan to KM (- took ages btw :) I'm sure it would be a cinch for Excel ninjas.) It does look a lot more daunting km but I'm going to try

Probably the same as most - injury

Bucket list I guess. I didn't think I was too bothered but when I didn't get in on the 2020 lottery I was really gutted. I didn't fancy my first(possibly only) one to be a virtual either. When they opened it again in January for 2022 I entered but never expected to get in. Delighted that I did.

Well that's about it. Thanks to everyone involved in setting up this thread. And good luck to everyone!

Cheers!

Welcome to the thread Adiaga 2. Good to see you have been running consistently for the last 2 years, nice base built up & sensible to up the mileage slowly to avoid injuries. As the plan goes on you will be running longer runs each weekend which is new territory for most novices, there's a great feeling ticking them off week after week.

Being realistic & flexible about your goal time is always good especially when it's your 1st marathon as it's completely unknown territory. I think the boards plan should be good for you, the 2022 one includes the race series if you are doing it.

A bucket list marathon is as good a reason as any, enjoy the process.

Very best of luck on your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

Just got injured and wondering if an option to defer?

Looked at website and can't see any info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Been meaning to reply to you with regards to Maffetone method. I did it for about 9 months from Mid 2020 to Spring 2021. It worked OK and I got some TT PBs with it. Where it falls down for me was the lack of harder running (intervals/tempo/hills etc). There was also other factors (fatigue, temperature, caffeine etc) that could affect your workout when you're following HR training. In a similar period following a more varied program, I feel like a more robust runner with much improved aerobic system. Glad I did it but I would recommend in sticking with either of the plans from the novice thread for your first marathon.

Hi degzs,

That is a pity and unfortunately for yourself, I saw this in the Frequently asked questions section.

Do I get a refund or deferment if I can't run?

All refund options are now closed.

Can I transfer my number if I can't run?

You may not give or sell your number to anyone else. You may not transfer your application to the following year or another Marathon Series Event. All refund options are also closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

• Ok, long time reader and lurker on this forum, so firstly many thanks guys for setting this up again, I think I'll find it invaluable if I do as I'm told!! I have an entry for DCM but also for London on 2nd October. It's a deferred entry from April 2020, and will be my priority unless something derails my training and I can't do it and do Dublin instead. This will be my second marathon, although the third time that I started a training block for London (Covid 2020, Injury 2021). I've only got back running since January this year after having to take six months off last year with an achilles injury.
    • If it was a dating profile it would say - Male, 47, currently 13st (was 14st @ Xmas) only running since 2018 and there's been quite a few periods of no running for several months due to life taking over.
    • All pb's from previous marathon training block in 2020
    • 5k pb 19.47
    • 10K - 42.03
    • 10 miles - 1.09.30
    • Half - 1.41
    • Marathon - 3.59.51 (2018)
    • Mournes Mountain Skyline 2019 - 5.15
    • This year
    • 5K 22.20
    • 10K - 44.13
    • 10 mile - 1.14.03

No

I ran a 10 mile fell race on Saturday, knocked 6 min off my pb finishing in 1.37. I run with my club on a monday and wednesday, do a long run in the hills on a sunday and a 6-10 mile run on a friday morning. Usual week is around 30 miles.

My local parkrun pb is 20.20 and I ran it two weeks ago in 22.40. I incorporated it into my weekend long run, having ran 7 miles to get to there; but still quite a bit of work to do.

I don't do any S&C work, despite knowing that I need to get back at it, and don't do any other cross training. Cardio wise I ran 15 miles a couple of sundays ago in the hills, took me 2.5 hours and there wasn't much left in the tank . Running on tarmac for long marathon blocks does flare up old injuries especially speed work on the roads, hence why I try to do at least one session a week on grass or trails.

• My last training block for London was bringing me in at 3.25/3.30 time, however I'm nervous about pushing too hard in this training block and getting an injury so if I get sub 3.45 I'll be delighted. Realistically if I get a decent sub 4 I'll hobble away happy.

I can really only train 4 days a week, full time job along with farming evenings and weekends along with family and coaching hurling teams limits what I can realistically do. Our club coach has designed a plan for me and another club mate who is running London also. I don't plan to race anymore until the end of the summer and just focus on training.

Injury!! Plantar fascitis returned about a month ago but has subsided with regular icing and stretching. I stupidly took part in the parents sprint at the kids sports day last Friday and have a tweak in the hamstring as a result. I fear with speed work and too much road training that my achilles could flare up again and sideline everything.

I got bad cramps in the hamstrings at mile 21 in my previous marathon and want to avoid similar happening. It was the hottest day of the year in 2018 and I don't drink much fluid when running, so need to look at changing that. I really need to listen to my body and change around session plans if needs be rather than sticking rigidly to the plan which could result in injury.

I have concerns about my plan that the coach has designed for me. It has me doing a short hard 45 minute session on the Saturday, long run on the sunday and then our club training which is usually speed work/intervals or hills on the Monday. I feel that I should do the Saturday session on a Friday, allowing me time to recover before my Sunday long run and then Mondays session. I get the concept of having the legs fatigued but I think it might just take too much out of me coming from a low base - would love some guidance and advise around that or how big/little an impact it would have.

Going on holiday next week for a fortnight and forcing myself to limit wine consumption could be tricky also.

• Unfinished business - I just want to run London as this is now the third time I've started a training block for it and at 47 I know it's my last year to run a marathon, either London or Dublin and the body much prefers mountain running.

Hi AntrimGlens,

Welcome to the thread.

So just to clarify, The plan is London but if you were to miss a few weeks with injury, DCM is the backup, right?

London comes 4 weeks earlier so have you now started a marathon plan with your coach or is that a general running plan you refer to?

You seem to have built up a decent base and a recent 15-mile hill run will only stand to you. It also seems from injury experience you know what you can or should be doing about now. You mention that you can do a 4-day week but as you rightly alluded to , three harder days in a row is only putting yourself at risk.  I imagine the long run is done at easy pace in between but hard days either side is not sustainable in my opinion. I would strongly advise to separate them as best as you can and keep the easy days very easy. Is it remotely possible to add a 5th shorter easy/recovery day?

I can't relate to your Achilles injury specifically but that combined with Plantar fascitis simply means you must listen to the body indeed and adapt the plan to your needs. I missed several months at the start of 2021 due to Plantar Fascitis . It took me a fair while to be able to manage PF going forward. What eventually worked/working(touch wood) for me along with rest and exercises was the introduction of orthotics. I use them in my everyday shoe now and approx 70% of all runs. The runners I tend to use for speed, I have learned due to them been narrower fits, I tend to blister so can't use them 100% of time. Everyone is different but that has made a huge difference to me.

I have also recently suffered from hamstring cramps at the latter stage of a marathon. I put it down to not enough water like yourself. I have also been actively encouraged from others on this forum to bed in using electrolytes for my next marathon. I can let you know how that goes after DCM but it seems like solid advice 😉

I have mentioned this in previous replies above, but it's important that your training paces correlate with your current fitness. This might change during the plan as you approach your 2020 fitness. Listening to the body and doing the basic things right, should get you your marathon time targets without the hobble hopefully, as the talent is clearly there.

Cheers and Best of luck

P.S. Don't be saying 47 is your last year to run a marathon, You will offend half the A&R forum 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Thanks guys for running this thread.

This will be first marathon (I hope). I've been running for about 5-6 years now (I'm 45 now) but it was generally a couple of 5k's a week up until about 15 months ago when I started tacking longer distances. I've been suffering since the start of the year with hip injuries and have had several spells out, ran a half in Clondalkin about a month ago which flared up the injury and haven't really been running since so I'm getting very nervous about even been able to start the plan. I've been with a couple of physios but am finally thinking I'm making progress with the one I'm using presently. He has me foam rolling like crazy the moment.

• 5km 21:03 (that was a while ago though, more recent closer to 23. 10km 46:14, Half 1:48:24
    • No, however I did the Wicklow half in January and ended having to walk a few hundred metres, went way too hard for the first 16km
    • I was pretty consistently doing 40-45km a week before the injury and 1 day in the gym.
    • Before Xmas I thought I could do 3:45 but now I think 4 hours would be a huge achievement
    • Plan on doing 5 days and following the boards plan
    • What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up
    • Injury plain and simple, If I don't get back running in the next week I'm not sure I've any hope of making the starting line.
    • I guess it's the ultimate thing to do for a casual runner and something you can always look back with pride on.

Welcome to the thread masterK.

Nice to see you have a good base built up & have been running consistently for a few years. Sorry to hear about the injury flare up, hopefully you get it sorted & are able to start the plan. It is good that you are already going to a physio, the main thing is to listen to your body, only you will know if you are in a good position to start training.

The boards plan is a good one to do, it got me to my 1st marathon injury free with lots of sensible training. I really enjoyed the variety of runs in it too.

It's good to have a time in mind as it does help with motivation but it's important to be flexible with your goal & decide on a target later on in the plan.

Let us know how the injury & physio stuff is going & hopefully you will be good to go to start training.

Was due to run 12km yesterday and as its pretty hot here, so I decided wait till I have the kids asleep and will go around 9/10 pm

At 9.30pm it was 32 degrees!! Hence stayed inside

Right now at lunch time it is 33 degrees, so will try again tonight

Looking forward to the Autumn haha

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Hi everyone!

Started running back in 2019 and signed up for the 2020 DCM but obviously got cancelled because of Covid, since then i stopped running so only getting back into this year. Really looking forward to this thread and here are my answers :)

1- How much training do you do - Only started back in May but between 20-30kms at the minute with a view of upping it each week.

2-Have you raced before- Yes a number of races in 2019 and so far 2 this year, times below:

5km - 2019 - 22 Mins

5M - 2019 - 39 Mins

10k - 2019 - 56 mins (this was my first ever race)

10M - 2019 - 1 hour 24 mins

Half Marathon - 2019- 1 Hour 50 Mins

5km - 26 Mins

5M - 46 Mins (Tallaght 5 Mile Yesterday with no training for 3 weeks due to being sick and on holidays)

3- What do you want to achieve - My main goal is to finish the marathon but a secondary goal for a good time i'm aiming for is 4 hours (ish)

4-How many days a week do you train - Only starting back up and aiming for 4 times a week

5-Biggest worry about signing up - My main fear is i'm looking at my times from 2019 and comparing them to what i'm hitting now and in my mind i'm setting unrealistic expectations. I need to get more miles under my belt in order to be more comfortable.

6-Why are you running this marathon- Its on my bucket list to complete a marathon and i've completed every other race distance leading up to a marathon so this is the final step. Plus its a massive achievement and want to prove to myself i can do it.

Is early morning an option? I always try to get out first thing when I’m on the ‘mainland’.

• Advertisement

Hi Dublinlad1989

Great to have you on board.

Have you had a look at the plans from the first post? I think either plan will bring you on but Boards plan could suit you once you ease yourself into it.

You mentioned you re-started back in May and also missed 3 weeks with sickness and hols since. Consistency is the key for you now. Slowly building up and following a plan will bring you back to your 2019 fitness and more once you can commit to it.

We are happy to help in any way to get you that marathon start as prepared as possible..

Advertisement