Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well, I remember distinctly last year when the stock market in the US was going bananas and people were asking what was going on?

The usual response was the market is pricing in inflation because of a) ultra low-interest rates b) QE and c) Bidens stimulus

Now a year later we have people saying that inflation is nothing to do with monetary policy or any of the above, it's to do with China and/or the war in Ukraine. Sure, these have not helped but why was the market talking about inflation in 2021 when a) there was no war in Ukraine and b) Supply chain issues in Zero-Covid China was not as pronounced as now, now being 2022...

And low and behold we have inflation rates we have not seen in near half a century?

Central banks are now stuck, especially the ECB.

What to do? Increase rates to tackle inflation and risk bankrupting Italy and Greece? Do nothing and let 5,6,7,8% inflation become the norm for the next 10 years with all the political and societal risks that comes with that? Increase rates but bailout the likes of Italy on the side, with some debt forgiveness? I guess the Dutch and Germans will love that!

Its all of their own doing. Again, if one cannot have even 1% rates in the ECB in case some nation-states go bankrupt then something along the lines has broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭riddles

during Obamas presidency the number of dollars in circulation doubled. Trump added something like 30% more under his tenure. There is no more printing money like cheating at monopoly

• Registered Users Posts: 29,296 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yes, you are right, this is our own doing, but not the way many seem to think it is, and major component of globalization has been to accelerated market liberalisation, move manufacturing to cheaper locations, increasing the complexities of our global supply chains, and when the wee virus turned up, the whole thing went to sh1t, then to add insult, lu-la in russia...... and ta-da, inflation....

again, the majority of money created in both the private domain, i.e. credit, and money created in the so called public domain, i.e. qe via central banks, has been primarily used to inflate asset markets, i.e. it effectively has just remained in the financial sector, doing its thing, i.e. it actually hasnt truly made its way into the main economy, where we all exist. the amount of money that has been created, that has made its way into the economy, i.e. deficit spending, pails insufficiencies to all the other money mentioned above....

yes, central banks are indeed stuck, but again, not for the reasons some believe, we ve pushed the game mentioned above too far, we ve flooded our planet with too much money but for the wrong purposes, we re clearly in serious trouble regarding our most critical of needs, property, health care, major energy infrastructure, environmental needs, etc etc etc, we have clearly fcuked ourselves over, and we ve decided, lets double, triple down! wtf!

interesting you mentioned countries such as greece and italy, by any chance has the overall structure of the eu, especially the euro, and the disturbing way we approached the aftermath of the 08 crash, actually truly lead to these canaries!

funnily enough, they only way out of this mess is direct action, i.e. directly injecting publicly created money, i.e. running deficits, into the economy, and hoping for the best, but whats the chances of that happening! also baring in mind, central banks can never run out of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Pardon my limited economic knowledge, but I thought inflation was caused by too much money being in the system?

Is the answer to inflation not higher interest rates which causes people to stop spending and reduce debt?

Surely higher interest rates for a period of causes less spending, which causes the cost of things to contract which then means people eventually end up with more money due to lower prices.

No?

• Advertisement

yes excess money can and has indeed caused inflation in the past, but this isnt the case with our current inflation issues, i.e. inflation is caused by many other factors such as supply and energy market shocks etc, as is the current situation....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ok I get that, but is energy prices all there is to it this time?

I know the economy is run in diesel which has shot through the roof.

What is the level of personal debt in the country like?

Anecdotal I know but the amount of people I know taking out loans for discretionary items- holidays new cars etc is quite high.

This leads to inflation too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Exactly. They profit from increased costs even if they don't add onto their profit margins.

For example, let's say my cost to buy crude and produce a gallon of gasoline is $1.50 and my accountants say our goal should be to make a 20% profit after expenses to keep the shareholders happy. So we charge $1.80 and make $0.30 per gallon sold.

Then my costs go up to $4.00 a gallon. I mark up my 20% and charge$4.80 a gallon. Now I'm making $0.80 a gallon and my board of directors thinks I'm a fantastic businessman and all my shareholders love me even though I'm damaging the **** out of working class folks in the process. But who cares, right? Just let them eat less avocado toast, eh?

We really need to get past this idea that some people, due to birthright, backstabbing, or just plain lying, cheating, and con artistry (otherwise known as marketing) deserve more of the benefits of our democracy and society than others. I believe in meritocracy, just like I believe capitalism to be a reasonable economic system, with oversight and regulation.

Otherwise it's just an ugly shitshow of lies, theft, crime, rampant poverty due to concentration of wealth and an extremely stratified society where those on the bottom lose hope and stop trying and those at the top buy their way into power and authority.

no, global supply chains are highly complex in nature, covid has done a serious number on them, baring in mind china is only now coming out of wide scale lockdowns, and we all know, most goods are still produced by them, so, expect supply chains to remain all over the shop for a very long, this could be seen over the last couple of months when viewing marine traffic at major Chinese ports, i.e. major traffic jams!

the economy is not only run on diesel, but by all forms of energy, all virtually all energy markets are in serious disarray, so.....

unsure exactly, but i think its 60/70 billion, may stand corrected on that!

yup, increasing the private money supply, the credit supply, i.e. taking out private loans, does indeed add to inflation, this is most noticeable in property markets!

directly injecting publicly created money, i.e. running deficits, into the economy,

Eh, isn't this one of the main reasons why we are in the place we are in now? Massive public spending and cash giveaways?

• Advertisement

As I mentioned, many people would disagree with you on that point. Look at the stock market in 2021 as an example.

Local coal man was telling me its really hard to source coal at the moment and some other coal men he knows have pulled the plug. He said the way it’s going he wouldn’t be surprised if coal was €50 a bag come winter and he said he wasn’t exaggerating.

Oh ok, I must have dreamed of the 2021 Bull market...!!?

...exactly the points ive been making, i.e. most money thats been created over the last few decades has in fact remained in asset markets such as the stock markets, i.e. it actually hasnt made its way into the real economy, i.e. it hasnt actually caused our current inflation issues.....

So, if asset prices are crashing now, why do we still have inflation???

I think you are terribly confused about this. Certainly what the US did has contributed to inflation on their end.

This was from last year. We started talking about inflation last year before there was any meaningful inflation. Now its manifested itself in real inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Bank of England governor put the inflation overshoot down to 80 percent supply chain shocks, 20 percent monetary policy.

...cause we re still experiencing wide scale supply and energy market shocks.....

yes, cause the supply shocks begun when global supply chains were effectively shut down during covid....

again, the value of asset markets such as the stock markets, is a heavily skewed representation of wealth, since most assets are owned by wealthy entities, the average person owns very little of these assets, effectively most people are not represented by the value of these markets, or virtually, its effectively an exponential representation of the ownership of wealth, i.e. the value of these markets effectively means jack sh1t in the life of the average person, hence why efforts of re-inflating such markets has meant jack sh1t to the average person, hence when politicians turned up and used phrases such as 'keep the recovery going', the average person went, wtf!....

If monetary policy was the chief culprit, we would have seen it almost immediately with very little lag - a matter of weeks. not 6, 9 or 12 months later.

Are people pretending that when we saw huge inflation uptick when Putin rolled his tanks over the border and when greater Shanghai and numerous ports were locked down as a coincidence?

Monetary policy of course needs to take its share of the blame. But to ignore the scale and historical uniqueness of the supply chain shocks and to start pulling orthodox central bank levers would be a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

China will continue to shut down on and off for another number of years due to their stance on Covid. It will only get worse from a supply chain point of view.

Plus workers are striking all over the world due to salary demands caused by inflation. Which will cause supply chain issues which will cause inflation. Which will cause workers to strike. Rinse repeat.

Its a right mess.

yea the potential for this to happen is really real now, again, deficit spending is the only real solution, but will this occur!

Those shocks were not on the cards in 2021 yet the market was trying to price in inflation... and here we are....

In other news, 80% of all USD printed was done in the last 2 years...

The Central Bankers got it wrong, very wrong. Remember they used the word 'transitionary' last year?

Just go back 6-12 months and see people screaming about inflation and calling Central Bankers to be more proactive. Now they are running for cover, while blaming Ukraine and China for it. Reminds me of Brexiters blaming the EU, Covid and Putin for their own issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

No. We are already on record as looking to reduce our deficit.

The economy was still in slumber mode though. People seem to forget that we only got vaccinated from Covid last year, yet the Fed and Co. were still injecting Trillions into the economy when it didn't need it, well into the end of the year and into this year.

Inflation does not spike in a few days, its takes months for the data to come through.

supply side shocks were already in play in 21, it just took time to show up.....

most money has indeed been only created in the last few years, particular since 08, but in the form of qe, which in turn only remained within financial markets, inflating asset markets..... yes central banks did indeed get this radically wrong, or did they!

For the most part, and I'm only speaking about developed economies where the action is, the overwhelming amount of that 'new money' (let's ignore that all debt is new money anyway) were wage and salary replacement schemes, and overwhelmingly towards middle and lower end workers. Essentially it was a synthetic replacement for labour rewards that could not have been done due to restrictions.

Demand was suppressed but not to the extent that the money for the most part wasn't finding a home in the economy. Savings rates did go up but not astonishingly so. The wage replacements were still being spent, particularly the lower down the income distribution you got.

Then there was a big bang in Ukraine which coincided with a blockhead lockdown in greater Shanghai.

It wasn't a coincidence that inflation started going insane from that point onward.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The scale of QE is such that I feel it must be a contributor to the rise in CPI inflation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Where is Philip Lane?

Is he still stating this is just a pandemic inflation cycle?

Advertisement