Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

We all probably seen the picture from the Limerick dressing room and all agree we aren't in the same physical condition as most of their players I wouldn't say richie doesn't look athletic compared to the other challengers. Chin and finn are in great nick alright but the others are similar to Richie.

Everyone knows the last few performances won't win us a semi final. we've a few weeks to try get a spark into the forwards and the chopping and changing probably isn't helping but after a bad match a player is discarded. Hopefully padraig and donnelly start the next day both are scoring forwards although their form has being patchy.

Wexford and Cork should get through their matches at the weekend especially with only a week for these teams to recover. If clare do suffer these two suspensions they would need to be careful against wexford presuming they get over kerry. Alot of talk about clare meeting Limerick again and maybe they will but we heard that with Waterford a few weeks ago. They could be a hangover or injuries after that epic match Sunday.Wexford are just so inconsistent it's hard to trust them. They draw with galway,lose to Dublin,draw with westmeath and them beat kk at home.There has being little between these two teams and these suspensions could be a distraction lohan won't want. You would imagine there's a bounce in galway after that flat performance Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

The stamp incident was shown on the big screen in Croke Park. Some days refs go to fierce rounds to check incidents. Owens seemed to think he had covered everything once he yellow carded the Galway player and McGarry. The linesman obviously didn't see the stamp either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Have heard the Pádraig's absence is solely down to analytics. He is in no way injured and according to some of his extended family. I know another veteran who is struggling he's head is completely gone with all the chopping and changing and the lack of communication.

It was great to win a Leinster final and their definitely played a better style of hurling. The backs are doing well I still have my reservations about a few of them and I think a better team could expose a good few of them, I hope not. Midfield is still a huge issue in my opinion, I think Fogarty did an excellent job for a guy who hardly touched the ball but I think the likes of Fitzgerald from Clare or O'Donoghue from Limerick would eat us up there. Forwards were well marshalled against Galway and we'll likely face better so we have a lot to work on for the next 3 weeks.

Hopefully they can keep working on mixing it up going short or long when necessary and not be predictable. It will be very interesting to see how we respond to a more intense pressurised game.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Wally was just as bad against Dublin, half forward line were completely out of it for the first 40 mins. Yet he started the next day.

cody and analytics?

I suppose if you have technology in place you've got to trust it. My own instinct watching P Walsh is that he faded in the forward position after the league run. I love to see him further back the field but time may have run out for him.

Taking 3 or 4 forwards/midfielders off is common practice now by most teams. I guess what management teams are looking for is huge work rate to keep pressure off backs. And then throw in fresh legs.

• Advertisement

Apparently taking the information into account this year.

I personally think Pádraig has to play i would have him in midfield i think he would excel there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think these semi-final permutations are correct:

If Clare beat Wexford, then KK will play Clare (regardless of the result in the other match).

If Galway beat Cork, then KK will play Clare/Wexford (regardless of the result in this match).

If both Cork beat Galway, & Wexford beat Clare, then KK will play Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

I have a feeling Wexford could beat Clare.

Shane Reck played the 2nd half v Kerry today, they have a full healthy squad to pick from and are hurling well.

Hard to know with Cork v Galway because neither team has any consistent form book to go by.

My understanding is that the Leinster Champions meet the Munster runners up or whichever team knocks them out.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think they try to avoid repeat pairings where possible though, so if cork and Wexford win, we would play cork and lim would play Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Its dissapointing to see the back of the weekend papers all writing about the fall out between arguably two of the biggest names in hurling. I'm not going to go on about it because we're all sick of it and dissapointed with the whole thing but we don't like to see this going on in our county. Cody should of being called in before the leinster final and told to nip this In the bud after the match but we all know the county board is full of yes men who are terrified so this wouldn't happen or it wouldn't be listened too. The next question is does this rule Henry out of the kk Job when cody retires and is still knocking around.Brian has huge power and I couldn't see the few yes men going against him even if he is retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Why should he be still around if he retires have any say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

You'd hope Henry's managerial performance, particularly with Galway at inter county would decide any application for the Kilkenny senior job. How Galway get on against Cork will be very important for him.

Though agreed, this sideshow with Cody won't help. And it appears to be effecting Henry a lot more than Cody. It nearly looks like a family feud from the outside, always the most bitter.

Both harming the good name of Kilkenny in their own interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Although far from a forgone conclusion it will be likely Clare or Cork in the Semi Final. Nothing easy there. It could be Wexford if the 2 under dogs Saturday win but unlikely. Cork and Clare have serious pace

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭davidx40

What time off the day is the Kilkenny semifinal going to be on at anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Flying Donkey

The issue I see with Padraig Walsh is that you really can’t play him anywhere other than centre forward in the forwards as he doesn’t have the pace for the wings or a sharp turn for the FF line. So he’s then in competition with TJ for a starting spot and really there’s only one winner there.

The reason I believe why he has been displaced from centre back is due to the damage Kingston did when he came on in the semi final last year. Similar to when Tommy was coming to the end, Cody looks to have decided that he no longer has the pace for the half back line. Now I believe the best place to put Padraig is full back and release Huw to centre back. He was an effective full back when he hurled there. It’s probably too late in the year to move him but I see his future lying there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Given his current trajectory there is, unfortunately, only one place his future lies. When Cody makes up his mind, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

I dont think he has the legs for full back either, no chance of getting out in front of the forwards and winning the ball like Hue the last day. I wouldnt like to see him back there again. Full back line is doing ok, wouldn't like to be moving them just to get Padraig a position

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Huw Lawlor is the one of the very best full backs in the game, moving him out of there would be brilliant for the opposition.....Too much moving around doesn't do anyone any favours as they can't settle easily into a position.

To be fair to Cody, he's not wrong about P Walsh now, whatever about in the past with moving him all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭supernova5

Any one have an idea what time the All Ireland Semi final is starting on Saturday July 2nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Padraig Walsh is 30, and Tommy was 31 in 2014. Both obviously played a lot of great senior hurling from 20/21 with Kilkenny.

Yet it's unusual they both slowed down around 30. It's relatively young. I expected another 2 or 3 years out of Tommy. When you think Liam Dunne had a great year for Wexford in the half back line and won an All Star age 35 in 2003. Paudie Maher Tipp, retired at 33 due to a neck injury. Brick Walsh was 35 in 2018 etc.

Tommy Walsh has 9 All Stars etc and an all time great with long service. Just he finished up so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

I think the issue with Tommy he was going a long time and he hurled on the edge. Also hunger probably waned too. You need to remember Dunne didnt hurl as much as Tommy.Was 2013 the only year Tommy wouldnt have played in a Semi final?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

One thing that you can definitely say about Tommy is that the hunger didn't wane. Towards the end of his county career, he did additional training over the winter to try and help his cause but he couldn't stop his body slowing down.

• Advertisement

For anybody attending club matches back then It was obvious that Tommy's days were numbered at county level.

Advertisement