Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any air rifle range in Mayo? And a little question about a license.

Options
  • 14-06-2022 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

My wife and myself have two .177 single shot airguns. We were a members of an air rifle club in Castlebar, but due COVID and post COVID stagnation - that club didn't renew it's insurance and unfortunately is basically closed right now. We were looking for a place to shoot (target/field target/hunting field target - so paper targets and resettable steel figurines placed on the ground), but the closest one is over 2 hours drive (Midlands - near the Athlone) one way. Our license renewal is near and we are panicking a little as we currently are not members of any club/range, there is nothing in Mayo we could find (we were asking around the tackle shops, gun shops etc). It's a freaking desert. We have a permission from our friend to shoot on his land, but will that be enough to renew our license? We were trying our old friends at Lough Bo, but they membership is a little out of our financial reach for now.

HELP!

Comments

I don't know any air rifle clubs in Mayo, but if you are renewing your license using your friends land permission you will need to put that down as hunting/vermin control as it is illegal to shoot targets outside of a range in this country. Just thought I'd say in case you didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kodi

Can we still shoot targets at the events then?

That depends on the range/event policy for non-members. You might need insurance to compete. Probably best to ask the organisers before hand.

thank you very much for your help.

One more question - is there any recommended insurer around? Countryside Alliance is no longer operating here and all my local brokers said they can't do similar cover. One of them told me that there is pretty specialized insurer that operates in that capacity. I thought that I need only a public liability cover, but it looks like there is more to it.

I use Country Sports Ireland

https://countrysportsireland.org/signUp.php?fbclid=IwAR1nROuRWQC-XEk_iUyU54fQD5x9tpV00XpvYOWll27FlJwWo4Pzsao19bY

I still have my membership since last year which cost me e20. I see it has risen to e60 this year. They lost whoever was providing them insurance cover for ROI and had to get a new one, so I guess the new one is more expensive. Not sure if there are many others providing or not, I will be doing a bit of research before I renew.

• Advertisement

A million thanks for that! I asked a few more brokers and basically the answers were ranging from "we don't do such cover" to "try Country Sports Ireland" :D

Advertisement