Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I know someone with a smart meter and they still call around to read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I haven't had my smart meter fitted - im on a Night saver plan

Apparently they haven't fitted any smart meter's for people on night plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Del007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I was with Iberdrola for a year, then I recently about 6 or 8 weeks ago signed up for another year as they were offering a lower unit rate. I got a letter from Bord Gais telling me I'm now with them. I phoned them up this morning and asked what rate they currently had me on and what was the status of my contract.

They told me I'm under contract now for 90 days at their standard rate, which is a lot higher than the rate I agreed to with the Spanish company. I told them I was not happy with this and wanted to switch today and they informed me I cannot and no other provider will take me until the 90 days are up.

Now I'm not a legal expert but this seems illegal to me, surely under contract law if one party Fecks off, the contract is then null and void. This has to be illegal right? I wanted to switch to electric Ireland today they were offering a unit rate of 6.5 for one year sign up compared to Bord Gais standard rate of 9+ and a higher standing charge. How are they getting away with this?

No legal expert either. What was the cancellation fee under the contract you signed with Iberdrola. Usually it is €50 and the refund of any cash back given as part of the deal. The 90 days moratorium seems odd but it may be a thing under the transfer of customer rules. It might be worth you while talking to the Bord Gais cancellation department if you can get hold of one of them. I have always found you get better deals from those guys than the sales guys they seem to have more scope to offer deals to keep customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,188 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You had the opportunity to switch from Iberdrola before 08 June.

The Regulator decided that:

All Iberdrola customers will automatically transfer to EI and BG, on Wednesday 8 June and will remain with those suppliers until 1 September, customers can then switch from that date to another supplier. Iberdrola customers can also switch suppliers up until Tuesday, 7 June before the transfer to EI and BG. Given the volume of customers transferring (approx. 32,000) the standstill period up to 1 September will allow sufficient time for all electricity, gas and dual fuel Iberdrola customers to transfer successfully.

Iberdrola customers will transfer to the suppliers on their standard variable tariff.

Iberdrola didn't announce they were leaving until May 31st so basically their customer had only 4 working days to shop around. Surely you would think it should be about 14 days. Where was Charlie Weston etc. that this one seemingly slipped under everyone's radar.

The following note is on bonkers.ie

Since 8th June, Iberdrola electricity customers have been automatically transferred to Electric Ireland, who will contact you shortly.

Unfortunately it is now not possible to change your supplier until the 1st September, at which point you can switch to a different supplier of your choice, without paying an early exit fee, if you wish to do so.

This process has been implemented by the energy regulator, the CRU.

EI's tarrif is about €320 per year dearer than the cheapest for electricity only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The regulator appears to be at fault here, but like all regulators in Ireland they appear to be totally useless.

• Advertisement

Regulator is probably an incorrect term given the role seems only concerned with how the energy market functions in a somewhat competitive way with no attention given to customer grievance and redress. Given how much the cost of energy is impacting on all of us maybe it's an ombudsman type role that is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭konline

FYI - I just spoke with Bord Gais on the number given in the letter, customer support guy is happy to give me 38% discount on the standard rate and sign me for a year contract. Changes were made to my account with in a couple of minutes over phone.

Worth a try if you are interested.

I'd wager if anyone had the time to contest it legally they'd probably win.

Thank you, I may have to do that. Still annoying, they are essentially blackmailing you into signing a years contract with them or pay 3 months at extortionate rates. Gangsters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭vickers209

Im out of contract for electricity this week was on a 20% off electricity only plan with bord gais,

The customer retention team had been ringing me for 2 weeks on a dublin number i kept letting it ring out .

so today i rang it back to see what they had to offer was planing on going to electric ireland with 30% off

She offered me same deal as was currently on 20%

I said i see you have a deal of 39% off for new customers.

She said to me i supose if you dont ask you wont get and agreed to give me the 39% discount

Very happy with that i am paying less now than before the last increases came in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What company is that?

Sorry, just saw it there, bord gais, will give them a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭vickers209

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I have just switched from Bord Gais to Electric Ireland (EI) 30% discount plan. Based on my usage figures EI will be €103 cheaper for the year, based on current prices, in comparison to the Bord Gais 39% discount plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Went with bord gais just to use my tesco clubcard vouchers as they are stopping them from 31st July ! Will convert them all and pay the bill..no other good use as cant goto zoo evry three months😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

Has anybody ever cancelled with a provider and opened a new account in their partners name with same provider at their new customer rate? Or do they have checks in place for that?

With BG which expires shortly and would be very interested in the 40/40 offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I have done with Virgin etc. Because of privacy, they can't say "oh you already have an account".

Same way if you enquired about you're partners account they'd claim privacy and tell you nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Doodah7

They

They would be the same for sure but then if my wife uses her maiden name have the company any way of knowing that I haven't simply moved house etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭bugsyb4

Tesco do 3 months free Disney+ too and Milano vouchers but need to rack up the points for both of these. They are the ones off top of my head that looked useful.

We got Disney+ in last billing period and think needed 900 points for this!!

Yeah last time with Bord Gais and no issue, my wife surname is different to mine on it though so maybe go that way.

Have been told by one of their door salesman that they are going to clamp down on this but not sure, will be trying in Aug if we decide to go with BG again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I suppose if she tells them she's a new tenant in the house they wouldn't know any different. They're unlikely to go checking the property register

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Disney+ was a one off offer that's finished. Milano's, the Zoo and ferry travel are the only remaining deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I have cheap disney+ so dont need it and Milano value is meh for prices of the pizzas :P !

SSE Airtricity looking like the cheapest dual fual just now. Any thoughts on them?

Coming off the 31/40% deal with Bord Gais and they've offered me the same again to stay. Is there a handy way to compare that tariff to the Airtricity one? The comparison sites don't have that tariff available anymore to compare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭you2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is it really worth switching, given that you’re tied into a twelve month contract based on a snapshot of pricing? They can bump their prices a week after you sign up, and you’ve no option really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,188 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Of course it is, companies offer the best discounts to new customers. And if one puts up prices, the rest eventually follow. If you don't switch after contract has ended, provider-dependent, you're now on their standard expensive rate. It pays to switch every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah if one provider puts prices up they all will soon after. The only thing we can do is switch and make sure we are not on their standard rate which is the most expensive of all rates.

My own 12 month contract with Energia is up next month and Id like to stay with them as their website & app are user friendly. But Im 99% sure they wont allow me to keep the 41% discount off their standard rate so I'll be forced into switching. I wish they took the more pragmatic approach like Sky/Virgin do and just allow you to keep your rate if you say you are leaving. But the call centre staff at the power companies dont seem to have any room to maneuver to retain customers who say they are moving elsewhere. They dont seem to be allowed to let you stay on the discounted rate at the end of the 12 month contract so they cant do anything about customers moving to another company.

At least the switch itself can be done within under 5 minutes once you have your MPRN from your bill or meter

Anyone with SSE any comment on what their Rewards system like? One thing that caught my eye was do they give you monthly credit of €5 towards a movie every month.

Had door salesman here other day and made a good pitch, on bonkers.ie I think their dual fual is second to FloGas for our situation.

Currently with Bord Gais and really like their Rewards as have won a few comps with it and also NOW vouchers are very handy. They are not dealing with Tesco anymore which is a little annoying but still..

Cash back of 2% to a particular ptsb current account also along with 15% discount for Easons which I used recently on school books. Also some discount on W5 Belfast Dublin Zoo and something like €10 off hotel rooms. Rewards seem to be geared towards people with families for the most part. I think there some deal on coffee also and some for the SSE Arena Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

When my contract was up a few months ago with Energia I popped over to bonkers.ie, put in my usage etc. and they were still the best option for me. So I just "switched/renewed" with Energia thru' the Bonkers website.

Were you still getting the 41% discounted rate on Energia for the second contract? If so I'd likely go with that if its available on Bonkers or direct

Cant comment on SSE but just to say be careful with door to door salesmen, some of them will tell you anything to get your signature and sign up. Happened me a few years ago, the unit rate he quoted at the door was not was showed up on my bill a couple of months later. Got it sorted in the end but I had taken a specific note of the day and night unit rates he quoted and he basically bullshitted me to get the sale. Only for I took a note I would never have known for certain. Never again would I sign up using one, its not worth the potential chicanery when you can just go direct yourself very easily.

Yes - the same 41% discount rate, think there was a 135 euro cashback as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I'd wager you that you would lose.

You signed up to terms and conditions. That you probably did not read them is not an arguable defence. The terms and conditions state what happens if they can no longer supply you.

btw- Iberdrola were implementing another price increase from June 1st (here are the electricity rates https://www.iberdrola.ie/standard-prices ) and had a choice of implement another whopper price increase from this month or call it quits. That could have been to over 60c! If you were an electricity customer the electric Ireland standard non discounted rate you were moved to was 30% LOWER than the standard Iberdrola rate on June 1st.

Their error was that they did not buy forward and therefore bought at spot rates which are off the scale at present. To break even, they would have had to charge over 55c per unit of day time electricity. (Some UK companies are charging 50p+)

It was the same with gas and spot gas prices are 4 times what they were last year

I think they did you a favour without you realising it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

I'm currently with Bord Gais and out of contract. Asked about the 39% discount for new customers and said wouldn't offer it. Asked the guy could he check and he laughed and said he wouldn't be checking.

Called EI and got a super bored guy who said the rates were on the website and that's it.

Is it the heat or am I just **** at this?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Might have not found this yet, but when can you start to switch, my plan is due to expire in August, do you do it closer to the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Moving2017

If you switch before you’re out of contact you’ll be hit with the early exit fee so I move the morning after my contract end date!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I switch the day after my contract expires. If my contract expired on the 18th I would initiate the switch on the 19th.

Nice one, I'll be ringing Energia when my contract is almost up to see if I can get that same deal. 135 euro would definitely take the sting out of the first bill too.

I think all the energy companies are due to go for another price hike in Sept/Oct so the main thing is getting a good discounted rate now and Energias 41% off the unit rate seems to be as good as it gets in the current market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Hmm I didn't get the 135 on bonkers.ie

Is that advertised anywhere?

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware of it at the time, my latest bill came in a few weeks ago and there was a line "Cashback Amount" for about 60 Euro or so. When I checked my Bonkers confirmation order I see "Cashback Amount" for 135, I'm assuming they have split this into two, we'll see on the next bill.

It takes a few weeks for the switch to go through once initiated for some reason though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

Yep, but it's the date you actually switched that counts for the contract duration, and once it's all sorted you will be billed from that date by your new supplier and that will be the date of your final bill from the old supplier, so that's the date to remember.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭fuse

More like continue disgracing themselves at the party!

My electricity costs are already up from 17c to 33c per kWh since last August, badly need to switch!

Insane

• Advertisement
Advertisement