Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

5 players, Finlay, Heff, Cian, Bundee and Mack are in the squad fr the NZ tour Pete Wilkins is also joining the National Coaching Group for the duration of the Tour to assist in team preparation

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Disappointed for Gavin Thornbury, but the timing of his recovery meant there wasn't opportunity to set out his case. Personally, I would have had him in the squad instead of Treadwell. Delighted for Cian P, just reward for an outstanding season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Great for Prendergast as he has been superb this season. Thought Bundee could do with a rest but he is probably there to mentor the younger lads. Wilkins is an odd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Guessing by his absence on the injured players list on the official release we can assume Carty's international career is probably done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

I don't know but I'd imagine that it is more down to the fact that it was already known a week or 2 ago that he was injured. The guys specifically called out as being injured were fairly new injuries. For instance there is no mention of Will Connors who was already known to be injured. That is not to say that his intl career is alive and well I just think that is why he wasn't specifically mentioned

• Advertisement

Dave Heff can count himself extremely lucky to be in that squad at the moment.

Hope he returns to his best form on the tour though. He was poor for us last season.

I dont think Carty deserved to be in the squad, injury or no injury.

If Harry Byrne goes well in NZ it's probably the end for himself and Burns as they'll stick with Sexton, Carberry and then either Harry Byrne or Healy (who hasn't really impressed me in the big games I've watched Munster play).

I agree with bazwraf, since selection for the 6NN's squad, Jack hasn't put in a great performance to out the selectors into a dilemma. He's been mixed. The good news for him is that the drama around the future of 10 in Ireland shows no sign of abating, there is still a path for him albeit hard.

This situation has not been well handled by the Irish management, but next season the cast will be even bigger. HB and, surely, Frawley in Leinster. If management sees what many fans believe (not a given), the Munster 10 jersey will be between Healy and Crowley. Jack at Connacht, and maybe even Flannery, and unknown quantity, at Ulster (I think Burns is unlikely to have any type of a shot).

I feel sorry for Carberry, think he's been mickeyed around as well as being unlucky with injury. A similar process at FB for Ireland resulted in Larmour being picked there to his disadvantage (Henshaw too briefly), thankfully the discovery of Keeenan ended that.

The squad for next year looks pretty solid although there's a lot of improvement required particularly in terms of defence. Here is a speculative selection, but there should really be a lot more rotation this year and effort on bringing through our young prospects. The worst thing that could happen would be conservative selections by an AF too concerned about the % wins. As the rules for Champions Cup will remain disadvantageous for us, we should play a higher risk season with more latitude given to youth and potential.

1. Dooley
    2. Heffernan
    3. Bealham
    4. Thornbury
    5. Murray
    6. Prendergast
    7. Oliver
    8. Boyle/Murphy
    9. Marmion/Blade
    10. Carty
    11. Hansen
    12. Aki
    13. Farrell
    14. Byrne
    15. Porch
    16. Buckley/Burke
    17. Delahunt/Tierney-Martin
    18. Aungier
    19. Boyle/Murphy
    20. Dowling/Fifita
    21. Marmion/Blade
    22. Daly
    23. Fitzgerald/Hawkshaw

Young players who need regular game time:

Illo (top priority), Forde, Booth, McCormack, Murray (2). I assume that Jennings is still with the 7s?

Unknown quantities: Ralston, Hurley-Langton

The rest of the squad is good, there's no point listing them all but we're carrying very little dead wood, but I see the others as being a little off first team selection. Honorable mention to Wootton, a terrific finisher but given last year's defensive frailties at a team level, there can be no passengers in that aspect of the game, and he needs to work on it. Curious also to see how McNulty goes, has shown flashes of real potential.

At a coach level I'd like to hear less fluff from AF on the lines of 'fast, relentless, adaptable'. Mental strength should be an absolute priority, and we need some players to take on the role of arse-kickers so that when the chips are down we don't see the folding that characterised our worst displays this year. If we can come back and win some games from a losing position in the second half, it would signal a phase change for the province.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

To my mind, Jack's main issues are unforced errors and goal kicking. In fairness, he has improved a lot regarding the former, and his good thing:bad thing ratio is now a lot better than it was in previous years. However, even on a good day he is liable to a restart out on the full, a missed line kick to touch, etc. You just can't afford those at international level. I can't find goal kicking stats anywhere so please forgive me if I'm wrong, but from memory his percentage is usually in and around 70%, which again is some way short of what you would expect at the top level. It's a huge shame because I think he is probably the next best suited to Ireland's attacking structure, after Jonny Sexton.

It's a similar story with Kieran Marmion. Connacht have to play around his lack of box kicking ability, which often involves the risk of a ten metre pass to Jack so that he can clear our lines from the back of the in goal area. I just don't think an international team is going to accept that risk, regardless of the fact that his awareness around the fringes, support play, and defence, are genuinely top class. With decent modern defences being so airtight, I think we really suffer not having the ability to hang a massive box kick in the air when our attack is struggling around half way.

Slight tangent, but I think Adam Byrne could be a game changer for us, if he can stay fit. His attacking fielding is up there with the best, and having the option to drop a bomb on his wing when our phase play is stuttering will be a hugely valuable option.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You wont be playing Murphy at 8

You've spotted the snag there. Murphy is too good to leave out but has mostly played in the row or at 6 for Leinster. Prendergast owns the 6 jersey, but a move for him to 8 might be an option. I don't see JM displacing Murray/Thornbird in the row. Injuries, of course, means that this 'problem' may rarely arise.

I think that Murphy will be more of a 6/4 and that Prendergast is the more likely of the two to be considered at 8. I think if Boyle regains his 20/21 form we may see Murphy in the second row more, but if Boyle continues to struggle we might be looking at Murphy/Oliver/Prendergast in big games. Of course Hurley-Langton could come in and do a Mack Hansen, we'll have to wait and see on that.

In spite of his Ireland selection, I actually think Heffernan was pretty average this season, and if that continues I would lean towards starting Delahunt and bring Heffernan off the bench for some pop.

Along with getting Illo actual meaningful minutes, my top priority for the coming season is establishing another genuine option at scrum half, whether that be Colm Reilly or Matthew Devine. Both Marmion and Blade are out of contract in 2023 and we will be in big trouble moving forward should one or both depart, if we continue to divide essentially all available minutes between those two. The Challenge Cup will be helpful in that regard, you'd hope it means a guaranteed 6 starts for the chosen young 9, and plenty of minutes for the other players you highlighted above.

I don't think Shane Jennings has played much Sevens recently. It's a shame because I think a full season of Sevens only could have helped his development, particularly in defence, but it seems that he only played sporadically. Not sure I see the point of that, as the players who really benefitted from Sevens (Keenan, Baloucoune, Jimmy O'Brien) all played for an extended period, from what I remember.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Prendergast started the last game against zebre at 8, and in my opinion has the raw toolset to be a good 8.

Murphy hasnt the all out speed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That signing of Ilho was strange. He didn't get a look in. He does have the physicality to do well. A big key for Connacht, will be Aungier. He needs to push on and challenge Bealham. He's not a youngster anymore.

Murphy will slot in comfortably in the row or the blindside. I don't think hes going to oust Prendergast or Thornbury but, he can be a huge asset off the bench. Murphy is a really good player that can bring toughness to Connacht!

I reckon Hawkshaw is a wildcard. I think he could do a job at fb, center and 10. I could be wrong and maybe he's been signed as an out half? Adam Byrne is talented but risky. His injury profile has really stalled his growth. Maybe he gets a run of good health.

McNulty could uproot TOH. I think he's worth the risk. He looks to have the tools! Connacht have quite a few young lads that could become regular players. I like Forde and McCormick. If Boyle gets his form back then they could challenge for champions cup rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Are there any rumours of a TH signing? It doesn't seem like Illo is gonna be hugely involved yet based on lack of minutes last season.

But even including him while Bealham is away with Ireland it leaves us very light if we pick up any knocks.

There has been talk of a TH for months now, but nothing concrete.

Another poster reported that Illo has been impressive in the AIL for Buccaneers, and he was great at U20. Fact is that we just released three props who can play on both sides and now have just three THs. In the case of an injury, or if Bealham is unavailable due to player welfare policies related to his Ireland duties, Illo is the next and only player in line.

I think Illo played about as much as you would expect from a 20 year old tighthead. Obviously, paying 30-40k over the odds for that first season was a bit of a risk - it could pay off massively or else he could end up playing 5-10 games next year before going back to Leinster. We will have to see how it works out.

Is Matthew Devine injured? He seemed to make a big imact in the U20s 6N but is not in the squad for the summer series. In his absence, there are zero Connacht players, which is very worrying. Anyone have any insight into the reasons for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Joe Joyce from Bristol announced as signing after next season. A bit strange, can’t recall signing ever being announced so far in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Strange one alright. Had to read it twice to make sure it was Summer 2023 he was actually arriving. Good tough player though. Just not in time for next season. Will be 29 when he arrives so still plenty of good years left in him for a second row. Believe he has strong Galway family connections.

Connacht Rugby have announced the club have reached an agreement to sign Bristol Bears second row Joe Joyce for the start of the 2023/24 season.

The 28 year old will make the move to Connacht after he completes his 11th season at the Gallagher Premiership club, where he has already made more than 150 appearances, including helping his side to win the EPCR Challenge Cup title in 2020.

In 2017/2018 Joyce was named the Bristol Bears Player of the Season, when he played a leading role in his hometown club’s promotion back to the top flight.

While Joyce has consistently been one of the Bears’ best performers over the last number of years, the 2021/22 season has arguably been his best yet.

Acting as captain for parts of the campaign, Joyce’s huge contribution both on and off the pitch was recognised when he was named the club’s Forward of the Season, Team Man of the Season and Supporters’ Player of the Season.

I remember Piutau for Ulster was announced a year plus in advance at the same time he was announced to be signing for Wasps for the interim period prior. He was a biggish name however and I can't say I'm too familiar with Joyce. From the statement he makes it sound like a bucket list for him as he has big Galway connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

Exactly the kind of signing we should be making. A proven forward who should add some heft & leadership to the pack. Seen him once or twice this year, he's a good player.

A hundred caps for Bristol, he must be decent. Wonder is he seen as a delayed replacement for Dillane or will he swap Fifita out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Well, he will be officially playing in Ireland in summer 2023, and he's IQ, so... Maybe

And he'll be 33 in 2027 so he will have another chance any way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

That is a serious bit of business 👏

A very good player who's often been spoken about for international selection. Reactiions on the Bristol forums are unanimous: no one is pleased he's leaving.

Big lump of a lad, which we badly need, and hearing him speak about how much he's looking forward to arriving is really heartening.

I can't ever remember us taking a starting player from a prem team, particularly one as good as Bristol, so this is a really good statement signing.

There's not a squad on this island he wouldn't improve so delighted he's coming our way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The reduced salary cap in England is starting to bite now. Player salaries can't be maintained at the level they were, except for a few marquee players. Most players are going to be expected to take a reduced salary when contracts are being negotiated. All of a sudden URC teams are now an option for players, so we could see more heading this way. Any good TH props??

Advertisement