Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yeah but investors in stock markets have made mountains of profit in the last two years. The losses in the last few months are still well covered by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I can tell you not everybody was so forunate. And the drops are very large in many cases.

I do think the market will sustain high prices , just due to the massive lack of housing (for rent) and high wages of IT in particular. And probably the government which is buying at least 1/4 houses in desperation. Thats about it.

There is NOT a lack of houses for sale though. So the whole situation is very odd and unusual.

This chart is very accurate.

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Very accurate in relation to what?

The number of times over the years we've seen this chart posted by people thinking they're being clever is incredible. It is a meaningless, nonsensical chart. You could go back to 2016 / 2017 / 2018 and you'd see this chart, or the endless variations of it being posted, with people always suggesting that we're at the "New paradigm" / "denial" point.

Like if you were to post the boards.ie Property forum equivalent of this chart, it would basically be this (yes, I have a lot of time on my hands this evening!) :

There’s an awful lot of shite out there though, probably not reflected in overall numbers

• Advertisement

In relation to overlaying it over many bubbles in the past, where the fit is uncanny. Clever people like me know this. Perhaps you'll join us some day.

I actually forgot what forum I was in for a second, perhaps I'm asking too much.

See ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Theres 16000properties for sale , numberhas been increasing steadily as landlords sell off. Theres a fairly rapid turnover otherwise ypu would see for sale signs everywhere.

I dont think properties have changed at all in terms of shite or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Time well spent!

And yet somehow boardsies aren't half as bad as the perma-bear cranks* of ThePropertyPin

(*=paraphrasing some other poster's description)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

"The number of times over the years we've seen this chart posted by people thinking they're being clever is incredible"

TBH I'm surprised it took this long too make an appearence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I note the ECB met yesterday to discuss the current issue with government bonds. 10 year debt for Italy rose above 4 %. What would happen to Ireland in this situation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well arent they sorting Italy out by buying up their debt, I could see them doing the same in order to stop the country from defaulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

I think the question mark can be removed from the title now. It's not anecdotal anymore. The correction has started and these things are always self fulfilling. Prices are dropping. This is a good thing. I'm not sure the people of Ireland will tolerate much more interference from government on this. The marches are starting this Saturday, people have had enough. They want to be able to get with their lives and they want the issue of housing addressed in an affordable manner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The "softening", used as the industry pig lipstick term, has happened and it will look like it will continue for a sustained period. Then SF will get into power and something will happen (2024 at the moment is the year where the central banks and markets are predicting huge uncertainty at the moment, which will coincide with our next election) which further "softens" the market, then SF will get blamed. FF/FG will capitalise on this and the goldfish-memoried electorate will reconsider them as options to vote for in 2028/29; rince and repeat.

It is just phenomenal that the State has inflated the property bubble once again with all its schemes pushing money into property owners' pockets. 53% of tenancies get some sort of State (incl. charity) assistance and people somehow think the "growth" in the market the last few years is sustainable. Take the State out of the equation and prices correct materially (20-40% I think), but with the Exchequer now needing to cut spending and raise taxes as well as redirecting spending to areas of the economy that need it more, it is quite clear the State won't have the same ability to direct cash to the property market for much longer.

Less whale activity by the State in the rental market = less ability for renters to pay the high rents = lower rents = lower yields = lower property prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Negative equity had to be dealt with. The banks balance sheets had to be restored. This was done by squeezing renters, literally and figuratively. Now that the Celtic Tiger mortgages are entering their final years the prices can be let drift down.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

...looks like the Germans (at least) are somewhat baulking at intervening.

Germany’s finance minister has challenged the European Central Bank over the spectre of bond market fragmentation in the eurozone, saying he did not see particular hazards in current market conditions. Christian Lindner told the ECB’s president in a closed-door session that he was not worried by recent moves in spreads between bond yields in the euro area, and that talking about fragmentation in the bloc’s financial markets could damage confidence, according to people familiar with the discussion. His words came after the ECB held an emergency meeting on Wednesday in which its governing council pledged to accelerate plans to create a “new anti-fragmentation instrument” — a reference to the widening gap in the cost of borrowing between more stable sovereigns such as Germany and more vulnerable member states such as Italy. The unscheduled ECB meeting came after bond yields of countries such as Italy and Spain shot up to their highest level for eight years in the wake of a decision by ECB rate-setters last Thursday to stop buying more bonds and start raising interest rates.

https://www.ft.com/content/aa61c9a3-a76e-4124-bb47-416033b4e384

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Yes, between a rock and a hard place. Russia looking for payment in rubles and USA raising rates.

Spain and Italy an maybe us will be in fix if rates rise but if rates don't rise who will buy Eurozone bonds apart the ECB, USA bonds much more attractive.

Its the ECB job to reduce inflation first and foremost, they are suppose to be independent from goverment policy. If ECB dont put up rates high enough, the high inflation will continue and the value of the euro will continue to erode. Italy and Spain need to get their sh*t together, why should they get special deals if their goverment is careless with spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Stock Market slump as well is a factor, work share schemes people were using for deposits.

Small examples of company's based here in IRE (two are located in Galway City)

European SAP: November was €125; its now €88 in June.

US Facebook: Meta $340, its now $160

US Medtronic: Nov €122, its now $87

Been looking in the Galway City Market (West of the Corrib) past 2yr / 18 months

Last summer talking with auctioneer when looking at property - he was saying a lot of IT/Med tech were in the Mover and First time market in Galway City.

Good houses sell quick but with most recent talk with auctioneer - harder for them to sell apartments of late. Have seen doer-uppers drop as well by 25k

within 20 min walk of Galway City Centre.

The last "local" auction (odj.ie) here in Galway City was Mid April, first in Person one in years but it did not have the same level of interest as those online ones I logged into in 2021. The next one is here in Mid July; a useful gauge of what market is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Because if they don't and the economies collapse, then the EU project will be questioned as populism will fester in a stale economic environment. The next decade will be a real test of the EU project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Not to mention the fact that we're in serious trouble if corporation tax receipts dry up. We've been breaking the EU fiscal rules for years and are third most indebted per capita in the world.

We're still one of the PIIGS.

UK move to exit EU seems well strategically timed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Talking to a friend selling a house- a real stunning gem of a house, asking price circa €400k. Had 8 viewers so far, not one bid yet…

It might be too soon, but I thought for this house as it’s quite unique they’d be biting his hand off for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

That's happening, we are bidding on 2 at the moment. There does not seem to be the quick fire bidding happening where we are......... Thank God!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I wonder are the interest rate rises and job worries starting to bite?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Share market has almost wiped away the gains of the last 2 years, and there is plenty of scope for more losses.

I think consumer sentiment is in the dog heap tbh and likely not to get better anytime soon. I'd say many people are in the wait-and-see line of thinking, as what's happening worldwide regarding interest rates is kind of unprecedented and of course, the mood music out of the US is pretty bad.

That will make people wary of taking on lots of debt when there is so much uncertainty and with prices are quite high. People who are not in a rush may well think that prices will be cheaper next year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Whatever about the price increases from 2013-2019 and whether they are organic or not, I think the growth of the last year or so with all the stimulus and pandemic savings, has been hugely artificial. 15% increase in a year? Sure, you could say an increase of some % is acceptable for new builds considering the price of materials but a second hand property worth 350k one year ago is now worth over 400k? I don't see how this is sustainable and won't avert to some value in the near future.

Price growth from March to April was 0.1%. Does anyone know when these properties would have actually have been sold? i.e would properties sold in January only show up in April for example?

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I assume it's based off the PPR so no, the gap wouldn't be that big.

The March to April growth is likely to be based on properties sold in March and April, but they need to wait for the data to hit the PPR which is why we only see it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Speaking purely personally, a significant chunk of my deposit was in investments - nothing radical like crypto, just typical investment funds - and it's all taking a hammering. Am kicking myself for not selling out earlier, but too late to worry about it now. That's forcing my budget for a house purchase down, both because I just literally have less money to spend, and because of some reluctance to be forced to a fire-sale of my investments. On the one hand, I don't want to sell out of one asset class that has already crashed, to buy into another asset class that hasn't crashed yet but may be about to. Against that, there's the certainty of just finally owning somewhere, and uncertainty over how long any dip will last, given all the other pressures out there that would start to push prices up again in a couple of years.

Also, I'm just heartily sick to death now of it all - I started house-hunting in early 2020, then waited because of the pandemic (d'oh!), then delayed again while I changed job. I would just love a stable housing market not the roller coaster of the last x years..!

• Advertisement

Interesting point. There may well be many people out there whose house deposits were shares/investments or god forbid Crypto.

It's no coincidence that house prices boomed when the share market went gangbusters the past two years, now that is in a big reversal, meaning people may not have the cash to go over asking as they did before, or even meet the deposit requirements. Its all in the mix and it will wash out eventually.

Also, as soon as we get real-world data that says, house prices have stopped growing or even if there is the slightest decline, there may be a rush of people who may want to sell at the top of the market.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement