Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'm usually his worst critic, but Hourihane hasn't been terrible since coming on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I wouldnt take the risk. Look at Mr Rice kissing ireland badges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Can we not just throw Festy on for the final 2 minutes and let him have his moment in an Irish jersey? Much better than him going home after these internationals disgruntled that he was called up for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This has been a very encouraging performance. Seeing an Irish team actually push for a win in a game they are drawing away from home to a strong opponent, seriously this is great.

Also some of the football , first touch and counter attacking bodes well long term. They aren’t petrified of the ball like they were conditioned to be under O Neil and Trapp. It takes time to change things, I’m really happy for yeh players and Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

We're finishing strong here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

When you consider that there's 46 games in the Championship and League 1, it certainly doesn't do our players any favours.

Christ McLean is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I have to say I enjoyed that. A good togetherness there in that team. Collins and Cullen really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Good result. Good performance. Time they had a holiday now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Xander10

That was a brilliant away performance. Unlucky to be punished by one moment of lapse in concentration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Another really strong performance all in all, delighted with how this window has ended. Can bring some positivity going forward, with a clear sense of our strongest way of playing. Great to be able to fairly clearly name our best, most effective 11 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Excellent performance. Baffling that no character was shown in first two games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Tayo from Palace is suppose to be the next lwb coming through that has some hype about him.

Probably be 2 to 3 years though before he is getting games at senior level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That'll do

That Mudryk looks a real talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

That's a good result and performance after a great result and performance against the Scots. A real pity about the first two performances but I'm feeling much better about the team than I was a week ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Missed first alf. But Ireland didn't seem to do any really stupid stuff second half, when Ukraine were putting on the pressure. Good away point. Didn't crumble.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

That was good stuff. Really good performance.

’off the top of my head’ as he reads it 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

Thats good reasult, good performance. Pity we gave away such a poor goal. Squad has put in some work.

At least i hope Kenny has learned that he needs to pick the young lads barring some outstanding form from the likes of Hendrick or Hourihane (but i really wouldnt bank on them).

Our centre defensive options looks very strong and i think we will need the 3 at the back to get our best players on the pitch. Wing backs especially LWB are an issue. As someone said id have Doherty back in there and leave Brown and RWB.

Poor start (he went with the in form players for him with Ireland) and it didnt work. Made the changes and got a reaction and players stood up. Encouraging finish, i hope Kenny learns from the mistakes and takes the team forward again. Onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't get beat 👍️

Time to park the poor mouth nonsense about not expecting anything positive. We are well capable of results and results in succession. Expectations will be raised ahead of the Euro Qualification process, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Xander10

They were excellent first half, unlucky not to go in 2 up

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If you think things are bad here, England just lost 4-0 at home to Hungary, who many here believed we should have been beating handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Decent performance overall, but it's hard to tell if it's really that significant. Both our lads and the Ukrainians looked knackered at the end, almost like they were both settling for the point.

Looking at the table now, would I be right in thinking that if we can beat Armenia at home, we almost certainly should guarantee ourselves a play-off spot for the Euro's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Peter Collins complaining that we have to wait till September for another Ireland match. Is 4 matches in 5 days in June not enough for you Peter???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Really good performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Really, really good performance. Loads of individual performances to be happy about but also a super team performance. Good chance to finish second in the group now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Omobamidele and Collins in the centre of defence would be interesting.

• Advertisement

Happy enough I suppose. You'd feel that with a full team available we will be even better.

Obafemi

Doherty

Stevens fully fit

Duffy

Egan

Bazunu

Omabamdiele

Idah

All of the above will add to it. I think the questions of Hendrick or McClean starting have been answered. Re centre mid it'll be interesting to see how Smallbone starts the season. If its on loan or with southampton. Hogan offers nothing.

The last 2 performances have rescued Kenny for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Went straight from Clones on Sunday evening 😂

Collins future captain.

United go out and get him please.

Lets go Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Stephen Kenny competitive record: 3 wins, 7 draws, 9 defeats.

Pleased for Collins to get the goal. As for Kenny, he spoke of us winning the group but we find ourselves in 3rd with 2 games to go. We were supposed to be playing possession-based football yet Ukraine had nearly 2/3 of the ball. Lose to the Scots in September and we're in a battle to avoid relegation with Armenia for the final game of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

You should channel all your negativity into something else, cant be good for your health!

Lads dont put doherty lwb. Play him in his correct position

We need to get the most from him. Lets see how stevens gets on at the start of the season. Dont forget Bagan too who is a natural LWB. He might be a regular again for Cardiff. He should be tried as should Manning.

I think Kenny has stopped that Possession guff as much now. Hopefully he won't go back to that myopic/misguided vision and play sensible football that suits the players available. It was a good result, hopefully Kenny will cop on to himself now a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

If we play like we did in the last two games against Armenia, we'll win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Really happy with that performance. They could have capitulated after that equaliser but theres a trust and belief in their ability building. That's probably our best result under Kenny.

Huge amount of first choice players to come back in as many have pointed out. Need to build on it now and finish with at least 4 points from the final two games. That will really set us up for the Euros campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Hard to figure out the first 2 performances on tonights. Think Kenny made a mistake staying loyal to players who'd done well for him in the past over in form players but glad to see the younger players standing up and staking their claim.

Back 3 all did well, will be hard for both Egan and Duffy to get back in there. Cullen and Knight were great, Molumphy a bit quieter tonight I thought. Browne put in a great shift while McClean did ok, will be disappointed with his part in the goal. Parrott very bright but surprised he lasted as long as he did as he looked tired after the hour. Hogan put in a good shift doing a thankless task.

Disappointed Festy wasn't given a run over Robinson who looked wrecked 5 mins after coming on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Can't ask for much more than that. Great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Bar the Armenia disaster it's been a decent window. More game time for the young senior players combined with a playoff spot for our U21s is a massive positive. I think Obafemi and Parrott should be leading the line for us from here on out. We're still light in midfield but there's potential there with some of the other youngers we have.

This could well be another golden generation of Irish players in the next 2 to 4 years if our senior and U21 lads continue to kick on while we wait to see what comes of the likes of Adaramola, Ferguson, Abankwah, Zefi, Moran and Vata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Indeed. No prizes for guessing which forum regulars were praying for a Ukraine winner and liberate us from the yoke of Kenny's tyranny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭McFly85

A deserved draw away at the top seed, a fine result.

Duffy could be non playing captain for a while, bring him on last 20 if need a goal and have to go direct. That is what I would do anyway. Who knows what Kenny thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Impressive performance from this team. Playing aggressively on the front foot is what we should be doing on a regular basis, not the 'soaking up pressure' nonsense which we're not able for. Midfield were very good and tenacious tonight. More of that please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Yes, you’re right,we were dreadful, will you and your anti Kenny lads get a life! You lot are all over boards in the 2 threads looking for the likes of a Tony Pulis or Big Sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We all want the team to get results, I presume. It’s been a great four days and hopefully a marker for what we can expect going forward. Great stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You know Im beginning to think your user name doesn't suit you.

40% possession away from home to a superior team isn't a bad stat by any stretch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement