Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think justice was served here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Never warranted a murder charge. RIp to the young lad too. Terrible all round.

Why the hell would anyone be carrying a knife though. To cut fruit? Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,257 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yep. I haven’t heard any official reason for the knife carrying, other than fruit cutting being mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's a sad case but from what I can tell tough the delivery guy went out to do his job and this lad and his friends went out to cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agreed, justice was served.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

I agree with the result on the basis of all publically reported court information. The jury had even further information and I have confidence in their decision.

I haven't heard much about the young boy who was killed. Not sure of a terrible maker or just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Might even be the case, he was trying to stop a fight. I don't know but either way he didn't deserve to die but his death alone is not a reason to seek a guilty verdict.

I really do hope that this doesn't escalate the abuse those delivery riders are subjected to in some parts of the city. I live in an area where a lot of them gather due to all of the food outlets. Sweeping generalisation but they all appear to be very polite and hard working. Deliveries are professional etc. They are just people trying to make a living. I cannot stand the abuse they get in some parts.

I wish Mr Bento the best for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anecdotally Ive heard there is a big disconnect between the Gardai and Brazilian delivery riders. They simply dont trust the Gardai as some of them have gone into stations and reported being assaulted while working and having their bikes stolen and the Garda has been more concerned about their work permit rather than the crimes committed on them.

In the same area of Dublin four Gardai are now suspended for shaking down Brazilian delivery riders and there is a criminal investigation into them. They are alleged to have been taking money from Brazilian riders and they also showed up at a Brazilian girls apartment with a fake search warrant and stole her money during the search. This is being spoken about in the Brazilian community on Whatapp groups and from their point of view Gardai are corrupt and will only give them hassle if they report being assaulted.

I personally think the commentary around this sets a very dangerous precedent.

Nobody is saying one should not be entitled to defend themselves, but this man was carrying a knife on his person, and used it to stab several people, the victim twice to the chest.

our judicial and legal system found enough here to bring this man to trial for murder. They felt his actions were over the top and his using weapon to kill was not justified.

I find the commentary OTT biased here. Yes, nobody should tolerate teen scumbags and violence, but this particular incident led the DPP to get this to trial. The victim appeared to not have been the instigator. The killer had a deadly weapon and used it against several people, ending a child’s life.

Are we promoting now that folks should be fine to walk around with knives, and if they perceive any danger or threat, whip it out and kill? Is this where we want society heading?

The killer was going to stab anyone close to him at that moment, and herein lies the danger. What if an innocent stranger decides to try and defuse future scuffles like this, only to be stabbed to death by a person using a knife? Is it a case of “Sh1t happens?”

Ok, murder may be a stretch here, but he did absolutely not need to have that knife and do what he did, and here is where I agree with the state/DPP.

even the labeling of the child a scumbag is gross. Nobody knows this child, knew him. He became involved, but that doesn’t mean he was a scumbag. Circumstances could lead any teen/child into a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Some stones on the two boys all the same, I'd say they come from a proper tough place that would make East Wall look like Geneva.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Lots of people carry knives at times. I do, and I can assure you that it’s not to stab people. The delivery driver was lucky to have it on him when he got attacked. We should all eat more fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,075 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Or you know don't try and attack/rob people trying to just go about their lives? People should be able to defend themselves in my opinion.

When I was attacked by two scumbags I would personally have loved to have had something to protect myself with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

He needed the knife to cut fruit I thought? Was that not accepted by the court?

I imagine its pretty common for bike couriers to carry utility tools with a knife on them or is the utility knife referred to a Stanley type knife which would be pretty useless in the fruit cutting and stabbing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Our government and police have zero intention of actually protecting joe soap from criminals and you're pissing and moaning that this fella didnt curl up and take a kicking while hoping the scummers don't kill him in the process. If he didnt have that knife he could well be dead now and his killers would get a slap on the wrist like this toerag did. The most fundamental right is the right to defend yourself.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/04/fugitive-arrested-for-road-rage-murder-of-deliveroo-driver-after-18-month-hunt-14715570/

Now this (randomly found on Amazon) could do damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Has the size or type of knife ever been revealed? There is a massive range of knives from pocket sized Swiss Army types to full on slash your way through the Amazon jungle Kukri types.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

In the city, it might have been to cut fruit. I've absolutely no idea if that's a legal reason to carry one (I'm guessing it is) but I know several people who only eat apples carved.

Outside of the city, you'll find an awful lot of people carrying knives. I have several pocket knives in random coats because I work with large animals, and they're very good at getting themselves tangled in things or breaking fences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭standardg60

Find it particularly interesting that you refer to teen scumbags yet constantly refer to the victim as a child? He was 16, why not refer to him as a teen?

• Advertisement

He was a teen and a child. Not really getting your reply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Should never have gone to trial. As clearcut a case of self defence as you will find. If a gang of things surrounded me with intent to give me a life threatening beating I would defend myself with anything I could lay my hands on and every one of us would do the same.

Pity the guards didn't put as much effort into investigating the violent criminal gang that Dunne was part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The lad who stole the bike should have been done for aggravated man slaughter. That would be a fair outcome. Your actions caused the death of a minor.

It would send the right message to other wanna be thieves, that we will hold you accountable for the impact of your actions.

The DPP took the case because imagine the uproar if they didn’t. Some working class Brazilian with a knife is not prosecuted, it would have become a movement.

where is the lad who stole the bike? That’s the important question, not how respectful was the kid prior or why did the Uber guy have a knife….

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Is there alot of bad blood/tension between deliveroo drivers and locals around there? there was hit & run case a few months earlier to this case in which a Brazilian driver died

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I would never go into East Wall to confront a gang over a stolen bicycle.

This lad had to stab three people to escape with his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,478 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This. The decision of the DPP to prosecute (for murder FFS) was cowardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

There is all this talk about a knife to cut fruit, two months before this incident there was a mini riot on Westmorland street with Brazilian delivery riders and a bunch of feral scum beating the crap out of the riders, and some Dublin scum killed a rider in a stolen car in NIC

No wonder this guy carried a “fruit knife” , I carry a very sturdy “ veg peeler”, and I’d have no problem using it to defend myself

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

There was a time that every young lad would have a Swiss army knife on them and used them appropriately.

That was not too long ago.

This was a small pocket type knife. Not a flick knife or jagged blade that many Dublin scum use.

These delivery drivers get continuous abuse by local scum. The gardai rarely assisted and judging by reports and Garda suspensions, the gardai would not have been seen as people who you would go to for help.

The jury was very clear by exonerating him on every single count.

Justice was served

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

justice served. Dont attack hard working innocent people.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

They didn't confront a gang. They confronted one person who had stolen the bike.

That person later proceeded to dupe the teenagers (who were passing by) into thinking he was the one under attack, and that's what kicked everything off.

Advertisement