Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Absolutely, people are entitled to disagree - its just the law that allowed them to identify as they wish so at the end of the day - we voted in the governement with a mandate who made these laws so invariably most agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Trans Activists are acting like children here. When did people forget that just because you are offended by something does not mean you are right.

A Reminder:

-A women: has a uterus and womb and can procreate

-A trans women: uses chemicals to appear like a woman on the outside.

This was common knowledge until about 5 days ago.

Post edited by John Doe1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't get how you don't get what the issue is here. To spell it out for you, the objection is that RTE facilitated a discussion on Gender ID. The whole point of the Liveline show is to discuss topics of interest, just like all political shows like Primetime etc. How on earth can you support the banning of discussing any particular topic?

I''ll put it to you like this, are their any circumstances where Dublin Pride would not object to live discussion on any of the Gender related topics at all, like say trans participation in sport? NO, of course they wouldn't. And that's exactly what is happening here. You would think they would avail of the opportunity to put their points/arguments across, but no, they would prefer not to do that. Wonder why eh.

I would say going back to Liveline debates on homosexuality 10/20 years ago it benefited us that those discussions where aired, because it exposed some of the weird usually religion based objections that didn't make sense. Why don't Dublin Pride feel that can gain this same advantage in relation to gender topics in the same way? It all just shows they don't think they can win the argument so they don't want the discussion at all, but just piggyback of gay rights won instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Them were the days of common sense.

Last week I identified as a brick... I had to build up to it 😀

For a people who want tolerance and equality its interesting that the multi lettered community so often fails to show it.

Yeah there is a whole movement in the west now which has been built to fill the void of religion and it is just as illogical and prone to punish the non-believers.

• Advertisement

I don't think there's much point in going off on a 'what is a woman' thing here. The specific issue here is the strategy of LGBT trans activists shutting down debate. They are infamous for it. Sorry for back seat modding, but you know what'll happen this thread if...

Unless the discussion only involves saying trans people are all great, should be allowed compete in any gender category they want, that gender doesn't matter but is also the most important thing, that genitals don't matter but that this particular kind of child genital mutilation is a-OK then no, they wouldn't be happy with any "discussion".

• Registered Users Posts: 82,807 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I expect Ryan T to give an apology tomorrow for RTE as an organisation and perhaps will include 'the straight people of Ireland' in it, perhaps RTE would donate €8 million of licence payers money to the parade to make amends. Will Duffy be suspended for 2 weeks like the 2 Johnnies were when they discussed car stickers that some people found offensive even though it was a seperate podcast and wasn't even broadcast on RTE.

There will be a late late show discussing homophobia and transphobia in Ireland and that we have to 'do better'

Nobody is saying differently.

There are infinite amount of genders. So I guess anyone can be anything.

But reality and facts are more important than feelings.

I can't identify as a millionaire and expect the bank to give me the money I identify as having.

It's perfectly legal for me to identify as a millionaire though.

But when you say people use dehumanising language towards trans people, does that include people using terms related to their biological sex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭standardg60

Be even more boring if everyone held the same view, and anyone who didn't was silenced

No need. I've identified that I've done enough.

If this development didn't involve RTE then yes, you might expect something like that. But it does involve RTE and I don't think they will react they way you suggest. If anything they will feel irked, and rightly so. I think Dublin Pride have made the mistake in believing that RTE's remit is to cater primarily to minorities. They could be forgiven for believing that of late, but in reality it's not true, and nor should it be.

I think part of it is to do with power, or rather influence. The influence they have over their own community, their internet presence, and the influence to tweak the interest of media or other organisations. But the bigger side of this is how to remain relevant.

All the major fights have been won. The LGBQ community is firmly established in society, and while some people might be uncomfortable with open displays of that sexuality most of society has accepted that it's time to move on. Equality is here, and those rights are protected. Yay!. Brilliant.

However, what do people whose whole life has been focused on activism/advocacy/outrage do when the battles are won? They find a new enemy, or reinvent the problems again. The same thing happened with feminism. They won. Equality was accepted and protected, and they couldn't stop. So, they went further with feminism, while also (and here's the important bit), adopted the causes for other groups who they considered marginalised... and began to be activists for those crusades. (while retaining their validation from their older crusades/movements)

The LGBQ community did exactly the same with the T. Transgenderism is not about sexuality. It's about identity, for the most part, which makes it dramatically different from the old LGBQ movement. Also, the numbers of T were miniscule, even compared to the numbers of Q. And yet, they had captured the attention of people in the US, and that made them worthy of being supported. And then, the LGBQ community fractured, with many advocating for the T, with the remainder just getting on with their lives, while being mildly irritated at being directly associated with the T.

The activists, leaders, spokespeople, etc are all fighting to stay relevant. That's it. Otherwise what would they do with themselves? (apart from the rather lucrative aspects of activism if you can build a following, which isn't that difficult when outrage is your voice).

• Registered Users Posts: 86,749 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I heard this tonight on RTE 9pm news

I know Joe and Liveline can get heated but is this a bit much from Pride committee etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

One of the key aspects of the marriage equality referendum was balanced and measured conversations which won hearts and minds. As a country we embraced this important change and celebrated it. That hearts and minds approach has diminished it seems - pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

As the great Norm McDonald said, referring to the term cismale, "it's a way of marginalizing a normal person." :) I don't care for that term and I'm never going to use it because a small minority think we should use it. I'm for respect but it's a two-way street. Those who want respect give respect, including respecting my refusal to use made up words.

However, what do people whose whole life has been focused on activism/advocacy/outrage do when the battles are won? 

My though's exactly.

There appears to be in this county a cabal of old relic activists who typically identify as 'Queer' (not as in homosexual). People who literally live in an LGBT World 24/7, who only have LGBT fiends, only socialize on the LGBT social scene, distance themselves from their family in favour of their adopted one.

There was one caller on Liveline, a lesbian, who fit's that description. She's says she 'has loads of transgender and non-binary friends. How on earth could anyone have loads of 'non-binary' friends. Unless you live in an sort of lgbt sub-culture which ironically doesn't sound to me she's interested in living in a diverse world herself, rather the complete opposite.

This particular caller claimed that Ireland has 'imported' negative trans attitudes from the UK, but at the same time everything she said was stereotypical leftist gender ideology attitudes that have been imported from the US. I didn't hear an original argument from her for all the time she was given to speak.

These types of people, who as I say typically identify as queer, as in socially queer, are exactly the types of people who have this 'no debate' attitude and are at the root of the problem. What really boils my gut with these types of people is they are constantly given a media presence, speak as if they are representatives for the gay demographic. In their minds they are, because they think they live in the only gay world that exists, but the reality is they are actually a tiny sub culture within the wider gay demographic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I spoke this evening to a family member who listened to the show.

Duffy apparently gave great leeway to both sides of the debate, was challenging both sides of it as were callers but only toys came out of one side… which seems common enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Acquiesce or you're a bigot.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Had a listen to some of 1 and 2 of these Livelines.

There's some barmy barmy people out there. And that goes for both sides of the debate.

Stop the world, because I want to get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,807 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Exactly, I thought each of the shows had an equal representation of people with relatively extreme views on both sides, balanced none the less and a lot of important points and concerns made that are in general conversation but rarely in the media.

Had to have a look at what GCN reported about this;

https://gcn.ie/dublin-pride-announce-termination-of-media-partnership-with-rte/

Dublin Pride said it is terminating its media partnership with immediate effect demanding a response on how RTÉ plan to make amends for this situation explaining that “RTÉ is our national broadcaster. LGBTQ+ people and our allies make up the majority of people in Ireland. We are the majority shareholders in RTÉ, and we have the right to hold it accountable for its actions.”

Good grief. What an obnoxious bunch of zealots they are. Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

The problem is that you get a small minority of people who have the genuinely old fashioned views against LGBTQ stuff. These people have no lives, typically older men in their 40s/50s with no kids and no families of their own so they are prime candidates for becoming immersed in all kinds of weird stuff online including conspiracies and believing RTE workers are using some chemicals extracted from children in order to maintain their youth. It's the very same weirdos who go online and attack the LGTBQ community. If we imagine that these people were hardline racists in the old fashion sense, which they are by the way, they are not allowed to spout their racist views in public or on the radio. They can dress it up as they usually do with the dogwhistle of "im only talking about culture and not race" but this is just something they learned from the likes of Steven Crowder as a way to slip in racism and feel like they have outsmarted people by talking about culture instead. I'm assuming it was some of these lowlifes on the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s a fûckin nutsville statement, pure head the ball stuff…

the clue you bunch of obnoxious people is ‘national broadcaster’.. not LGBT broadcaster… the majority shareholders of RTE in Ireland are taxpayers, citizens. Not LGBT taxpayers, just taxpayers….

funny how these LGBT lot say they’ve had to strive and campaign for equal rights…. But are quite happy to shout down freedom of speech and attack those who offer a different view or narrative and in a democratic society decide not to continue a partnership as they have a legal and democratic right not to do…

the majority shareholders of RTE in Ireland are taxpayers, citizens. Not LGBT taxpayers,

Well precisely.

I think their problem is...they thought they had full control. Mission complete.

Now they're going ape shi*t when they realize they don't really.

Kinda funny really. Hehe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A women: has a uterus and womb and can procreate

You are wrong here. There are many Women that do not have a womb or a Uterus which is just the medical term for what non medical people call a womb but according to you most Women have two Wombs which is a first to me.

Also there is many Women that can not procreate or have zero interest in it.

-A trans women: uses chemicals to appear like a woman on the outside.

A Trans Women does not use chemicals she uses hormones the very same hormones that a Woman will use when she needs HRT because her natural hormones are low after she has had or is going through Menopause.

So what is she now not a woman? Just because she has a Uterus or a womb but has to now take as you say chemicals which they are not by the way. Most hormone tablets come from natural plant sources.

So I suppose you probably think a women that has had her Uterus oh wait I meant to say womb just incase you do not understand and Overies removed is not a Women anymore because she can no longer procreate.

Also a Trans Woman uses hormones tablets or patches etc to align their body the way it should have been at birth. They do not want to just appear like a woman on the outside because they are and always have been a woman both inside and outside. They are just helping their body become what it always should have been like. No one would just choose this as its not an easy path to follow. What is so hard about that to understand?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement