Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think justice was served here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭stellamere

He shouted "get back" three times. But they didn't get back. He was greatly outnumbered by thugs, whose sole intention was to knock lumps out of him and his colleague.

If it was your son or daughter under attack from these absolute thugs, hell bent on causing injury (such as breaking teeth etc, which is what happened) would you be as concerned at the commentary?

Its very easy for us to criticise from the comfort of our homes but until we are in that situation we dont know how we might respond. He responded in a way that probably saved his and the other guys life.

It's terribly hard for the mother and the family, but the accused is not to blame.

Shocking that the DPP would throw the book at him and not even call the main instigator to give evidence. We'll done the jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

The correct verdict. I feel sorry for the Brazilian guy actually. Hopefully, it will make feral teenagers think twice before attacking and trying to steal anyones work tools. Lessons here for the gardai too that this is what can happen when feral groups are left roam free to cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

There should be no jail time for retaliation. The level of force used by the defendant is irrelevant once it can be proven that he wasn’t the instigator.

A few things I see wrong here, the first thing is his carrying around a knife sharp enough to fatally stab someone, the second he actually used the knife which meant he actually thought out that scenario to look intimidating, third is that those delivery cyclists have hatred for these youth gangs, again its a pre-meditated scenario acting out the hatred, fourth was that he was not able to restrain himself, I mean an adult man stabbing some kid over a bike is a bit insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I guess some people in the area will have to learn how to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Gazza was a talented footballer and he was a also a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I'm not saying it's right but im sure if you randomly searched a lot of those deliveroo drivers you'd be finding knives and other weapons on them. I'm sure they have no intention of using them but many will feel that their life is at risk in those areas and they have no choice. If I was doing the job myself and on my own in some of those areas I'd probably have something myself.

As far as the case goes, I think it's very difficult. I still don't really understand the events that transpired in detail despite reading a lot of the court reports. It's just very sad that the young lad died.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Play stupid games win stupid prizes…

when confronted the gang could have released the bike back into the custody of its rightful owner… they again chose the wrong option, they chose violence…

no sympathy for them..

btw if I was doing that work I’d have something with which to defend myself…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,330 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

A correct judgement here, but no real 'winners'. I doubt the guy at the center of the case will ever forget what happened on that day, and a life was taken. I'm sure he'd rather things have ended differently than they did, thus not requiring a trial. And everyone walking away in one piece from the scuffle. (Only way I can describe it is as a 'scuffle', since I wasn't there).

I do find it very, very disturbing how the case was reported. Very much a 'this foreigner killed one of our own' kind of angle to the news reports. Didn't matter if the victim was in the wrong, and he was painted as this 'promising individual with a bright future' while the blue collar guy was painted in broad, negative strokes. Very sinister angle for news media to take. We see this in towns, villages, and cities, across the country- where the 'blow-in' is treated as the criminal, whilst the 'local guy/ gal' is treated as the hero, no matter if the latter is the one who committed a crime. But you'd expect better from reporters.

I have sympathy for his parents, and I have sympathy for the driver. But I agree with the decision made by the jury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

It would mean a rejig of the legal system - look how far Alan Shatter got with that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Or he carried the knife for the reason he said. Or he carried it in case he ended up in a bad situation not of his own making , which is common place now, and was outnumbered. Remember, his friend lost teeth and suffered a broken nose in the attack where they were outnumbered. And all because they were out trying to earn a living.

Josh Dune assaulted George Bento because George Bento defended himself and his friend from an attack by Josh Dunne's friends plus another man. If i was outnumbered like that and had a knife I would do the same and most others would too.

You seem to be forgetting that this was 3 on 2 assault which became 4 on 2 assault with other friends of the assailants waiting in the wings. Dublin is a dump full of feral gangs of kids who act like this with impunity because of a weak justice system.

We need to make parents way more responsible for the actions of their kids. Upto and including stopping any social welfare payments etc. Manners and respect cost nothing. These lads act like this because they know worst case scenario is they get a slap on the wrist. But someone fought back.

Look at Thiago Cortes. Look at the vigil his friends and colleagues held after his death and how they were treated.

Look at the lads who were harassing women in Howth which ended with one woman falling under the Dart. A slap on the wrist and the parents of one of them threatening to sue because the video footage was released. The women who they harassed should be given the names of the kids involved and then sue their families.

I think the charge was a fair enough one in the circumstances

- was carry a knife

- had followed someone with a friend after a bike was stolen

- ended up in an altercation were someone died as a result of that knife being used

Murder, manslaughter, doesn't matter IMO, the jury probably would have reached the same decision in the end given the reports of what transpired.

He had flights booked to Brazil a few days after the incident. He was a flight risk which would have been decided in court. Its not like he wasn't involved in the incident.

IMO this is how a justice system should work. His compensation should be for loss of earnings only at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Just as well he wasn't a local!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

The justice system clearly is broken, he will get a ton of money and he deserves it, all the money wasted in a case which clearly should have never gone to court, all the legal people got paid and the Gardai +DPP have being shown as being clearly incompetent on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

He was locked up for 18 months because of an incompetent legal system, how much did this case cost.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,647 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He won't get a "ton of money"

He clearly had a case to answer. He fully admitted to killing the lad, and he was a probable flight risk (even booked flight tickets after the incident)

He was rightly refused ball and served the time on remand. This is legally allowed in cases where the charge is murder

How do you think this shows the justice system is broken?

If someone is killed and the likely killer is identified, a trial is required. The DPP could hardly decide not to proceed - it was up to a jury to decide on guilt

I can’t see him getting a ton of money in compensation, he has his liberty.

• Advertisement

He was carrying a knife

He went vigilante after a friend's bike was stolen

Got into an altercation resulting in a death with said knife.

The gardai are not there to determine guilt or innocence, DPP rightly determined there was a case to answer in court. A jury of Bento's peers found him not guilty based on all the evidence presented.

That to me is a justice system that works.

He was locked up for 18 months because his girlfriend booked flights to Brazil.

It wes self defence and the procuters should have known that.

He was right to try and get away as if the powers that are supposed to protect us had their way he be in prison forever.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,647 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wow

Sure why have a justice system at all in that case

But he was found not guilty by a jury of his peers. The powers that be did everything right. A 16 year old kid is dead.

“The powers” have “had their way” through proper use of the justice system and he is now a free man.

I think this is an example of a fair outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No one saying no need for a justice system. They are saying they have had it with the peculiar brand of Dublin scumbag getting their way and the revolving door.

So locking a person up for 18 months to be found innocent of all charges is the right way to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Advertisement