Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,271 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

My own view was in 15 years or so ireland would see a referendum here and we’d be gone from the EU.

id say a referendum will happen in maybe 5 or so years.

when the wellbeing of the Irish citizens are being thrown in a skip as is happening, in order to help and facilitate others..people only stand for so much…

UK.. since 2020, more people leave then arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

With the Common Travel Area, once Ireland doles out the Citizenship like sweeties, they can get back into Britain.

We cannot go on like this.

My own view was in 15 years or so ireland would see a referendum here and we’d be gone from the EU

God, I hope not. I'd like to think that Irish people wouldn't be stupid enough to do it, but.. yeah. It could happen. Without the EU, back into the UKs shadow. Wonderful. Ahh well, the 80s in Ireland weren't that bad.

That’s the problem…. But the EU through this policy is alienating people and member states.

pools suggest that anti EU sentiment in the EU is rising.

Which is why the EU needs reform. Not member states leaving it. A return to the economic bloc, and stopping with all this federal cultural nonsense. The EU doesn't need to be the UN of Europe.

I suspect we'll see the EU splinter into 3 or 4 blocs, rather than each country going it alone. Hopefully, Ireland will manage to join one of those blocs rather than suck up to the UK, or worse yet, try to go it alone.

I honestly don't have a lot of hope for Europe for the next few decades. Too much shite is coming our way, and it's a pity because this was a great opportunity for Ireland to truly shine.

• Advertisement

I agree…. But how can you reform the EU ? I ask because I’ve no idea !

a splintered off EU ? That’s likely…. Ireland, Spain, Portugal… France with The Nordics ? Some people might be surprised to see me mentioning France but the eurosceptisim there is huge…and there are many vocal concerns not being addressed or listened to surrounding immigration and it’s impact there…Frexit has huge traction..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭lmao10

Anyone saying Ireland should leave the EU is clearly very naive in relation to economics.

When you view the actual cost to the taxpayers of this growth in population who all need medical, housing and financial assistance…. The nievity might more with respect be on your part…. Plenty of other countries will leave…

plenty of our highest grossing import and export partners are not in the EU… USA, UK, China and Japan being a handful of examples.

Italy, Greece, Poland and France are all becoming closer to saying bye.

the fact is the EU is failing…it has put the wellbeing of its member states and their citizens in peril…

in 60 years no EU will exist.

countrys and their citizens want to control their security and wellbeing… being in an economic/social union shouldn’t jeopardise that, but it has due to mismanagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

EU is not at fault for any of this. As posted before, EU countries, especially Schengen opt-outs like Ireland, can control their immigration policies and in the past Ireland has deported EU citizens so leaving the EU won't fix anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Still waiting on you to back up the claims that you made a few days ago. It would be a lot simpler if you just admitted that you made it all up, instead of disappearing when asked for proof.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You're being too kind with naive, I'd consider them thundering bloody morons. Especially after seeing the effect it's had and is having on the UK, a nation with far more economic clout, even with the distractions of covid and now Ukraine/Russia.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I really can't understand how people are falling for this. Instead of blaming the ones responsible, the ones in the government, they are blaming some abstract notion of EU. It is not the EU who brings in illegals, it is not the EU who gives them amnesty, it is not the EU who don't deport them, and finally it was not the EU the one that stopped that plane from taking off to Rwanda.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I always find it interesting that the most ardent Europhiles are not the types who are motivated by economics and yet the only defence that they will make for the EU is the economic one

Most people don't have a problem with a single market, its the increased draining of power from national governments that is demanded to access the single market that is the issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh I am motivated by economics among other things. The EU for all its faults is a tent I'd rather be inside than outside. And too often local political fúckwittery - and lord knows we have enough of it here - is laid at the feet of the EU. Oh it's their fault and if we weren't in the EU things would be rosier. They weren't when we weren't and they wouldn't be if we weren't in the future. It would be the same business as usual here.

Same goes for extra EU migration and ease of same. EG the birthright loophole we had that was closed. No other EU nation had the same loophole and we had it from the foundation of the state and was nada to do with the EU. We have the CTA with Britain, no other country in Europe had that beyond the basic EU membership and now they're gone from the EU, we still have it. Nada to do with the EU and "power". Germany and Sweden went through a come all ye "refugees", most other EU states didn't. We didn't. We allowed 3000 Syrian actual war refugees in over ten years. On the other hand we got tens of thousands of extra EU economic migrants and chancers that others in the EU didn't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nope, the birthright loophole was only inserted into the constitution as part of the GFA process

I'm in shock. Something I can agree with... and no mention of old men. Awesome.

I agree…. But how can you reform the EU ? I ask because I’ve no idea !

The processes are in place. The EU is an administrative construct which has lost control over itself. There are processes/procedures in it's charter for reform. I do think it would be extremely difficult because they've been given too much freedom away from the Member States themselves, as a separate entity.. but it's definitely possible.

And we're in a good position to do it. Both France and Germany are tired of multiculturalism, immigration, and ultimately propping up the other weaker EU nations (like Spain/Italy) with their own economic strength. Their electorates are demanding change, so there's less space for the politicians to dither over it. TBH now is the time for EU reform, due to how many nations in the EU are struggling with the current situation.

Still.. I have no idea if it will happen. It would mean tackling the power/influence that EU internal organisations have created for themselves, while also, throwing out the virtue signallers.. which would be a major undertaking.

Jui solis was in play before that in Irish law to some degree, the GFA made it more concrete. Regardless, my point is the EU had nada to do with it, or its removal as a loophole for birthright citizenship.

ahh.. I'd be pro-Eu.. but I'd say that they are partially responsible for all of this.

It's the nature of politics. I scratch your back, you scratch mine. I support you in this, and you support me later in something else. Backroom deals are commonplace in all human systems, and while the official declarations won't acknowledge the supports given, they happened nonetheless.

When Germany/Merkel were extremely pro-mass immigration, there would have been influence brought to bear on all smaller nations to accept and support her policies. After all, Germany was/is the powerhouse of Europe, and that has repercussions for other nations. Just look at the condemnation that Poland received over immigration.. which has been offset due to Ukraine, but had that not happened, they would have continued to be punished for resisting the main thrust of EU agendas. Then, there's other countries like Spain who have attempted to take harder stances on immigration, but have backed down repeatedly because they need EU financial supports.

The majority of the responsibility rests on the nations political leadership (and public service), but the EU remains a major influencer over domestic policy.

Leaving the EU though would be economic and diplomatic suicide for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Funny too how a new account pops up mentioning old men all the time, just like the alt account that got exposed as being the account of a certain poster who was once a regular in here.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

It is the EU who expects every EU member country to accept all of the illegal migrants and whatever backwards genitalia mutilating religions they come from without question. It is the EU that condones NGO ships acting as ferry services for illegal migrants picking up economic migrants at sea and dropping them off at other EU countries. No wonder the British want border controls from Northern Ireland to Britain, our government is more than happy to facilitate illegal migrants who arrive here then pop over the border and across to Britain. If your neighbour was letting criminals use their house to sneak into yours you'd do something about it.

It is the EU who expects every EU member country to accept all of the illegal migrants and whatever backwards genitalia mutilating religions they come from without question

Nope, that is your honorable minister of justice Helen McEntee.

And if anything, you will get more of those and less of the other kind by leaving EU. Illegals and asylum seekers (which are still a kind of illegals) are not affected by the EU membership and free travel because they don't travel legally to begin with.

And Helen is doing this not because she cares about migrants but purely because she wants a job in Brussels or at the UN when she's not reelected. Part of the problem is that too many politicians are building their CV's with a view to a career in Brussels when the home gig is over. Most of our current TD's know that there's zero chance of them keeping their seat at the next election. They know the game is up and they're looking to fail upwards to a seat in Brussels.

Apparently its between McEntee and Harris as to who will take over from Varadkar so she's grand for work.

Even if that were to be true it's still a stupid reason to leave the EU, which will harm this country even more.

She's doing it for a very simple reason: vanity. She needs to leave her mark and this is her way. She will be forever able to claim that she is the benefactor of so many people and she alone is the reason they got their papers and that she's basically their goddess. All this while most of them don't even know who she is because they don't care about Irish politics as long as the benefits are coming it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭lmao10

How do you know they don't know who she is or care about Irish politics?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favour of leaving, I do think that uncontrolled migration is going to be the biggest threat to the EU in decades to come. People are getting less afraid to voice their concerns about it.

Actually, I think she genuinely believes in what she's doing. That immigration, diversity, etc will all be good for Ireland. Same with her portrayal of "men" as being dangerous based on their sex. She is a product of her generation and her class.

Don't ignore the impact of identity politics, feminism, race theory, etc in education (and politics), and those with the generational wealth to indulge in such concepts without having to deal with the harsher limitations that life throws at us. She has simply been conditioned to believe that diversity is a good thing. You can see it in the hypocrisy of her social media announcements and then withdrawing from actually doing what she said with Ukrainians.

It's a sign of the wokish mentality to volunteer others to pay for their beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

"multiculturalism" is the propaganda arm of an international pyramid scheme to extract money.

Migration is used to simultaneously drive asset prices, like housing, by increased scarcity, and to suppress wages/provide cheap labour. Money, money, money.

People are feeling it's impacts more severely than ever, and it's only going to get worse. That's what bad ideas generally do...get worse.

It's a pantomime, no more, no less.

Advertisement