Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭supernova5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Dunne hurled for 15 years with Wexford. Regardless of shorter campaigns they'd be training club.

For Tommy's career 2003-14 Leinster wasn't strong. I don't buy playing on the edge shortens your career. Sergio Ramos or Italian defenders wouldn't suggest so!

Pat Spillane 35, and Jack O'Shea 34, were still flying with Kerry in 1991 after careers beginning in 1974 and 1976.

Tommy is one of my all time greats, just a little observation that if Padraig's legs are going it's unusual Tommy's went early enough.

My posts on the Walshs, their great men. I missed Tommy retiring. I thought he was going to be a wiry hardy Joe Dooley type that we'd see playing till 34! I couldn't see enough of him! Just would like Padraig to get another year or two out of it at inter county.

That's the way it is as individuals. We age differently. I'm 46 and cycling a lot since 26. I recently broke my time record for a 40 mile cycle I do. A personal record I set at 32 in 2008. However if I was tipping around at football or hurling my turns are that of what I am, a middle aged man! I can go ok in straight lines or cycling is just aerobic and leg muscle power, and not having put up much weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Leinster hurling was strong enough Wexford should have beaten Cork in the 2003 semi final they had them the first day but left it behind Waterford got a lesson in Nowlan park off Wexford to. The very first all ireland Tommy played in he was a doubt due to a hip problem he was replaced in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

Just a little context: "Wexford had Cork" the first day in 2003? In fact, Wexford got a goal to equalise with the last puck of the game. Reality dawned in the replay - Cork 3-17 Wexford 2-7. And again in the following year's semi-final - Cork 1-27 Wexford 0-12. Wexford may indeed have been strong enough or very strong at that time (I'm sure you have good reasons for saying it) but that's where they stood with Cork anyway.

• Advertisement

Wexford got a goal the last minute they had the wining of that match long before that.

You could've replied with this and left out the earlier post? Just a thought.

Why is the first instinct of so many to just be abusive?

You have to wonder.

Looking for a reaction.

• Advertisement

Wexford led 1-14 to 0-11 early in the second half. From that until they got the last second goal they were outscored 2-9 to 1-3. Reality is they got a good start and did their best to hang on. No less than their win against Kilkenny a year later it did not show that they were strong in those years as you claim. If Leinster hurling was strong at that time - your original claim) it's unlikely Galway would have come in at the end of the decade.

Credit to Wexford for a good display but no more than that. Cork were the ones who left that game behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Padraig Walsh is a much better half back than Paddy Deegan. If Padraig lacks pace then Deegan certainly lacks pace. Deegan will be found out as usual come knock out hurling and at Padraig Walsh's expense.

They were invited in by people like Nicky Brennan and Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I'd have thought P Walsh would be ideally suited to that number 15 Jersey that seems to drift out around the field to mid field and try and get on loose ball and help out the mid field and half backs at time. He would be a decent puckout option too.

Either way if he doesn't start you need to be getting him on with at least 20 minutes to go..

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

from an outsiders view walsh starts everyday ahead of deegan

Agree 100%. There are lots of other attributes like reading the game and a hurling brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Deegan is a lion hearted player who works like a dog but his stats on turnovers, distribution and scores conceded (he shipped 12-13 pts from play in back-to-back matches with Galway and Limerick in 2018 at corner back buts till saw out the full 140 mins) would keep him off any of the other big counties.

Because those counties look at the data while Cody still believes he has a unique aptitude to look into a player and see he has the "right stuff" and that gut feel of Cody overrides every other criteria.

And it’s the reason why today teams who trust data and science in evaluating player performance and team selection win most of the prizes in team sports

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Has Fogarty broken a finger in training

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,808 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Anyone has or know where I can get the boundary of the three clubs in Kilkenny city? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Tbiggertheycome has a map with all the club boundaries, should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

Paddy Deegan starts every time for me. There are intangibles that your stupid stats can't classify and anyone who has played at a high level would tell you that.

I have a serious question for the anti Cody, pro whatever the latest fad is brigade, which admittedly makes up the vast majority of posters on here.

If we win the all ireland what are you going to do?

Post edited by therealdonster on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Most posters here can see with their own eyes who is going well and who isn't, without any reference to stats. If the stats back up those views, so be it.

On Cody, and with reference to our last two very contrasting matches - not one person I know was happy with the performance against Wexford, the biggest complaint been that we played the Cody way, lumping ball after ball on top of the Wexford sweeper. The exact opposite was executed in the Galway game, we played the smarter hurling that most teams are playing now, which hadn't been Cody's way up to now. We finally got what we were crying out for. Somebody got through to Cody. Hopefully he continues to listen and if it gets us another title we'll all celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭kk.man

That CCC is a joke... Fahey got away with it on what was one of the dirtiest incident I saw in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

It's a joke alright but it's hardly a suprise. The whole thing was a circus.Everyone agrees the fahy incident was disgusting. The game is probably as fast as its ever being and its very hard to referee but the linesman should of seen this incident. The umpires should of seen the hayes and duggan incident. I think its only a matter of time before we see a tmo in hurling but the ref needs more help from the umpires and lineman. Its probably at the stage where we need two ref per game but that probably wouldn't work where you'd have one letting it go and the other blowing for everything.

Looking forward to the two matches Saturday and it's hard to call both matches. Will clare have a hangover from the Limerick match?I'd give wexford a good chance and a it's a real banana skin for clare altho wexford have a bad record In thurles. Wexford are on a high and they've a few dangerous fowards and they've pushed up a few more fowards. Damien reck will probably pick up kelly.Galway will be dissapointed with the last day and I'd expect a much better performance from them. Henry will need to make a few changes and it's a big game for him. Alot of the galway team are on the road a long time and a rebuild will be cards over the next few years.Im suprised we haven't seen more of the successful underage teams.It'll be intresting to see how the leinster teams face up against the munster teams. A win Saturday could give a team momentum and who knows what could happen. Galway wouldn't fear Limerick so who knows what might happen

We're in a good position now training will be ramped up and places will be up for grabs especially In the forwards. Who ever reaches the semi final will fancy their chances of making an all Ireland final so there's a huge prize at stake. We've failed at this stage the last two years and we'll need a huge performance but we're only 70 mins from a final. We showed the last day that we can adapt and play smarter hurling and galways half back line were caught out by this.Hopefully we work on getting better ball into the fowards and We need to get eoin cody and the fowards more involved. Chopping and changing probably not helping the team but I was hoping Billy Ryan would kick on this year and nail down a spot. Padraig for me will have to start somewhere the next day. Whatever happens a few changes will need to be made and hopefully we can get the mix right and we can get a spark in to the attack.

It shows the standards of Galway Gaa that they got Fahy off on a technicallity because a meeting was held on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MfMan

Straight out of the Frank Murphy handbook. KK would do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Never did up to now and I for one wouldn't support such an act after such a nasty foul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I wonder should Richie Hogans red card be rescinded seen as Dickie Murphy made a decision based on hawkeye.what the ref doesn’t see doesn’t happen.

Advertisement