Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Collins is like an Irish Declan Rice?! 😉

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Wonder does Collins have a relegation clause in his contract? If so and he was to leave where could you see him going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

Currently Doherty has to be the best option with Brown after the last 2 games at RWB? Manning has been playing left in a back 3. Stevens getting on a but and needs to get his form back. Few young lads with potential but based on the 21s today Bagan is a long way off yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Xander10

Look it's been a tough night for you. We didn't go one or two down and you missed out on posting all your usual in-game bile

Your post match stats are becoming more meaningless game by game.

I remember you use to compare our results to Northern Ireland but that doesn't suit your agenda now .

The turn around and introduction of so many young players, being allowed play ball, unlike the hoof ball under the likes of Trap & MON.

Try feel the love a bit. It might make you really Nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Xander10

Hope he can get fit soon. You could see a huge improvement from him playing under the coaching of Conte at Spurs

• Advertisement

As long as he is getting regular games, I don't mind where he goes. He will find his level. But no point in him going to a side where he would only be a sub option. More games he gets better he will get, seems to have a sensible head on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

It doesn't look good for Doherty at Spurs, they're heavily linked with spending 20m on Djed Spence who plays RWB. Spence is young and going from winning promotion in the Championship to playing for a top 4/CL team is a huge jump so maybe he won't displace Doherty straight away but it's not a good sign if they're looking for a RWB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

We should have a look at bagan and manning. McClean is as long a way off as either of them.

Ogbene an option at RWB as well

Is there any run all day young McLean - 'run all day' types who currently play in midfield that could be converted to LWB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

Djed Spence is a talented player but a tremendous nobhead. He could easily fall out with Conte before the season even starts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Tell you what I'm liking Shay Given as one of the pundits and has been a breath of fresh compared to others.

Thats shocking negative. We all want to win. Losing annoys most of us. Kenny still has to prove he is the man to take is forward. The last two games are a step in the right direction.

Watched the 21s today. Bagan whipped at half time. Not sure he touched the ball. Hes a good bit off yet to me! McClean currently a decent if not infuriating player but probably better than the young lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Just pointing out the obvious. There are clearly a few on here who actively despise Kenny and want him gone at all cost.

I wouldn't put up much of a fight had he stood down last week myself. But I am absolutely delighted he didn't, and has achieved two fine results since.

He is a right back/wing back though need a lefty festy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bagan may not even be a first team player for Cardiff next year as they've just bought a left back.

Manning doesn't seem to be getting much of a look in. My guess based on my limited viewing of him is that maybe he just doesn't have the legs to play the position at the highest level.

The alternative to McClean doesn't look readily available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Old enough to have seen him play for Pat's remember the hullabaloo when he signed for FC Cologne, big news at the time. RiP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

Possession guff ? We were very good and constructive in possession tonight. Less playing it out from the keeper at dangerous moments, if that’s what you mean, but tonight was exactly how we should be playing. Still tried to keep the ball and play positively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The last four days have saved his job and ensured he leads us for the Euro 2024 qualifiers. When we start that campaign he’ll have been in charge for ~3 years and had 3 competitive series to cut his teeth.

If we perform well and get a playoff he’ll continue on, most likely. If we fail to compete he’ll be gone. But it will be much more black and white and inarguable than it has been, so we’ll all be on the same page soon enough.

The match going fanbase wants to compete and I’m sure Kenny wants to compete. If there’s anyone out there who wants the FAI and supporters of the national team to pay some sort of penance and suffer multiple campaigns of losing, they can jog on.

I'd second that on one condition. We beat Armenia at home at the very least. If we dont he should go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

I agree that we’re coming to the stage of Kennys reign where justifying losses with talk of long term planning will be difficult to do.

When Kenny gets it right I think the team shows that it can definitely punch above it’s weight and can take results of higher seeds which will be crucial for qualification. The big question mark for the campaign ahead of us, for me, is how he deals with the so-called minnows of the group, who are happy for us to have the ball and try and break them down. If we end up losing again in a similar fashion to these teams then qualification becomes a massive ask and it will have been a problem that Kenny has failed to solve over years and multiple campaigns.

I’m glad Kenny is in the job, I think he’s done a lot of positive things for the Irish team and he will come out of this round of games under less pressure than it looked like, but we can’t be in building mode forever. This is the campaign we’ve been working towards, I hope he can make it a memorable one!

Post edited by McFly85 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

We were a good unit down the middle last night. We were susceptible to dribbling from wide areas and should have been punished more than once. Probably an upshot of our system.

anyone got the xG from last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Good result for Kenny isn't it obvious we are only good at teams that attack us and break against them -we don't have the ability to break down teams that are rubbish where we have to do the pressing

2 good results lot of positives in last 2 games we go again with kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Last night was a better performance than Scotland. We played well for 90 minutes. Bar a awful individual mistake by out captain we would have three points. Still so many positives.

And we stopped this short passing for sake of it, great to see.

Just to clarify by ‘possession guff’ I mean pointless overly dangerous passes from back. And then overly safe side to side and backwards stuff at the other extreme.

Ireland now seem not been afraid to go direct when required. By the way - direct does not mean pointless hoofing. It means with a purpose. Ask questions with less risk. When the short pass is too risky/or going nowhere.

Way more sensible football now, possession for possession sake in the wrong areas with limited technical players, pointless and makes Ireland open to 1) Silly mistakes 2) Easy to play against

Either the players have changed the above two - Kenny has or both. Either way much better mix in Ireland’s play last two games. Which is what it should be similar to McCarthy’s first tenure or Kerr.

Do we know what our best 11 is now? I know it'll depend on the opposition with regards to formations and systems. Like I don't think we should be starting with 3 cb's again Armenia at home.

Id be going for something like this again Scotland

-------------------Bazunu---------------

------Collins------Duffy--------Oshea

--Doherty----------------------------Stevens

--------Knight--Cullen---Molumby

-----------Parrott-------Obafemi

I still think Duffy gives us way too much from set pieces to consider dropping yet. I think then it's a toss up between O'Shea and Egan. Bazunu is number one if he's playing football. Although if himself and Kelleher are sitting on the bench next year and Travers is starting in the PL then we will have to have a conversation.

Parrott and Obafemi look to be the best front two. Idah will also be available. Robinson and Hogan are down the pecking order now as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully Connlly can get a move this season and get a run of games / goals. I think if we have a four of Obafemi, Parrott, Connolly and Idah available and all playing football then that's strong.

Reflecting back on this window is kind of strange. You could say Kenny got it wrong in the first two games and right in the last two. I can see why he picked the team and tactics in the first two games as they were the players that played well for him in the WC campaign. He then went with youth and form club players in the last two games and got a reaction and two performances. Its been a long season but to me its the young lads who come out of these two weeks with all the credit, they worked their arses off and backed the manager and got him out of a hole.

What do i say about the so called senior players??? Robinson, a hero in parts of the WC campaign, looked out of his depth in this window. Hendrick always has some nice touches but just doesnt work hard enough and goes missing. McClean was McClean, immense against Scotland and a bit all over the place last night. Hogan doesnt look up to international standard. Hourihane, I just hope I dont have to watch him in an Ireland jersey again. Duffy, as always immense in both boxes but at some point his footballing ability is going to cost us and the 3 lads last night barely put a foot wrong. Egan, looked tired and wasnt at his best and had other things on his mind. Coleman is coming to the end but should be team captain and in the squad but no longer a guaranteed starter.

Long term we need to find a LWB. Id be happy to move Doherty there and would have no problem with Brown continuing at RWB or for some of the younger lads or Ogbene to be given a go there. Surely against weaker opposition Ogbene should be an option running from deep.

People calling for the back 3 to be scrapped should really look at our options. Our best players coming through are all currently centre halves (Ignoring the Keepers) and i think we need to get them on the pitch. All 3 last night were happy to get on the ball and dribble into midfield. Thats what we need them to be doing especially against the so called weaker teams.

Kenny finishes the window on a positive note but really needs to build, he cannot afford another 2 steps backwards in September. Id be happy with 4 points and hoping for 6 but a fresh Scotland away from home will be a totally different proposition. We need all our players to get good moves and for them all to be playing football. Look what can happen in 6 months, Jamie McGrath went from looking like guaranteed starter to not in the squad anymore, we cannot afford that with any of our players.

Onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

A confusing series of games we were so bad in the first 2 games it was almost beyond belief but Kenny earned his corn for the last 2 games he made all the right changes both tactically and in personnel and deserves credit for doing so I genuinely thought he was approaching being a busted flush after the first 2 games but not so and the players clearly like him.

We have almost an embarrassment of riches at Goalkeeper and centre back I thought Lenihan was superb last night as well and deserves a lot of credit Collins is an absolute rolls royce of a CB could and should be playing at CL level soon. We are at our strongest with 3 in midfield and that 3 should be Cullen Knight and Molumby Hourihane and Hendrick just aren't up to standard and should never play unless we've no other choice. As far as front 3 goes when everyone is fit I'd have Idah Obafemi and Parrott all talented technically good players and interchangable as well.

All in all real signs of improvement just vital we don't throw in another stinker against Armenia at home we have to learn how to play against teams deploying a low block and letting us have the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Have to agree. I also think Sadlier has come on leaps and bounds now that the Elders are gone.

I'm surprised nobody has said that Collins future may lie as a CDM.

If a player can play at a similar or better level at CDM, you take that over a CB.

I remember one of the last few Burnley games he either set up a good chance, or set up a goal. He went on a long run with the ball and crossed it. Caught my attention as showing more than a CB with the ball.

Couple that with the second half of the the Armenia game, where he was taking up more advanced positions with the ball, I felt he could do a job in that role.. ala Rice(who also moved from CB forward).

After that goal I'm convinced he should move up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I was losing all faith in the Kenny project after Armenia but delighted to be proved wrong . There can be no doubt that the players all believe in what he’s doing when you see the reaction in the last 2 games .

On the left sided question Stephens probably still best, hope Scales pushes on now as first choice in Aberdeen too .

Was disappointed with Smallbone yesterday , doesn’t look like he will be breaking in anytime soon . Hard to pick a first 11 with everyone fit but I’d probably go

Bazunu

Egan Duffy Collins

Doherty Molumby Cullen Knight Stephens

Parrott Obafemi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Patsy167

On that point about the CBs needing to push up and go forward against teams who'll sit in deep, and we've done it against better teams too as Coleman often got up around the box and Portugal away when Connolly was claiming a pen in the second half it came from a John Egan knock down to him in the box.

When you watch back Cullen gets a block and ball falls to Connolly, and ahead of him is only Idah up front, Connolly plays it into the corner for Idah who chases it and cuts back onto his right to swing in a cross and the only two players in there are our other CF and LCB. When Cullen gets that block Egan is in or own box but rather than stay in defence he busts his ass to get forward to support the two lads up front on their own.

After last night I don't think Collins should be moved from that central position in defence. The back three just seems to sit higher with him in the middle and he showed last night he's more than comfortable stepping up to win the ball and moving forward with it in midfield. Duffy needs to sort out his club situation, but think he also needs to get used to playing on the right of a back three because I wouldn't be moving Collins as it suits us better as a unit having him there.

• Advertisement

You're probably thinking of the Spurs game. Played centre of the back three and moved forward out of defence with the ball and ended up in the final third playing Cornet in behind the defence to have a shot.

Yeh Collins as a DM would be interesting. If Rice leaves West Ham this year he could be a potential target for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I have a feeling the players did it themselves but it doesn’t matter, so long as lessons are being learned and progress is made. Kenny deserves credit for bringing on all those young players and has done enough to be given the Euros to go and get a qualification for a major tournament. That was impressive last night against a decent and fully motivated Ukraine team. Looks like we’re making some headway again.

I see McClean is the fall guy with some on here again. Perhaps at fault for their goal but actually he’s been brilliant in the last couple of games overall. Deservedly made captain for the night. He will continue to make a crucial contribution as he has done for 94 caps so far. When he gets 100 get it right up the whingers.

Has Collins been linked with a move yet, what sort of price bracket has been mentioned? He has everything you need to go to the very top of the game. Very composed player.

They don’t use the term sweeper or libero anymore but isn’t that the role Collins was playing last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

While Duffy is a threat at set pieces he's a liability playing out from the back. I think Egan is much more comfortable there and should be kept alongside Collins and O'Shea(or Omabamidele when he's back playing for Norwich). Duffy needs to get a move this summer also it seems, think he's best suited against the better teams like Portugal while we need better ball players at CB against weaker and more equal teams like Ukraine/Scotland to drive out of defence.

Doherty, Stevens and Molumphy need to be playing regularly to keep their places while it will be interesting to see where Parrott and Knight end up this summer and how much game time they get.

That’s easily rectified. He doesn’t have to play out from the back. Give it to him and he plays it long or give it to someone else if you want to go short.

the opposition would just press the other players and force Duffy to have the ball.

It's mentioned about Duffy that he's a good player in the box either attacking or defending, but in-between both boxes I think we now know Collins is the man that should be centre of that back three. Comfortable with the ball and will take it into midfield if space opens up. If Kenny wants us to be able to build some attacks from defence he needs to keep Collins in the middle of whatever back three is playing.

Big decisions for him to make in September if everybody is fit. Does he keep Collins in the middle of the three (he very much should), what happens when Doherty and Coleman are both fit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Interestingly, Damien Delaney on VM said that McClean's starting position for the goal was fine, even though it looked wrong - he was pushed a fair bit up the wing, but he's a wing-back; that's what they do. He got back in time to cover the winger - but then his mistake was to allow him cut towards the byline when O'Shea was already covering the other side. He also flagged Cullen getting wrong side of the midfielder who played the pass out wide in the first place, and the defenders all covering into the six-yard box and leaving the Ukrainian attackers in miles of space.

Seems a decent analyst overall in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Yes, big decisions to made. So many players were missing last night who we would've considered definite starters under Kenny before this window. The competition for places has improved significantly over the past two games.

Fucking hell that Armenia loss gets worse and worse the more you look at it. We'd be joint top of the group right now if we had beaten them.

Hang on a minute Duffy has played with Brighton for years in the EPL. And Brighton have been praised for their style of play.

You would swear Ireland are now Barcelona 06 or Man City 22 or Ajax 95 the way some people are going on!

Play can be varied for most teams and Duffy is an intelligent footballer good positional sense, despite his lack of technical ability.

Play can be varied on the pitch and if each player plays to their strengths and masks weaknesses the team does better, simple as that. Regardless of style. And if each player can offer something different to strengthen a team as a whole all the better!

Nothing concrete but Leeds and Newcastle are two clubs that were mentioned as supposedly keeping tabs on him.

Duffy was mainly sent on loan for an entire season and benched. He mainly played during a very different era at Brighton under Hughton.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement