Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Absolutely, live and let live is the motto of most of Ireland

We do not need constant propaganda pushed on us.

How dare the plebs actually debate a topic? Standard reaction from a group that have been moddy coddled and unchallenged for far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The problem is that you get a small minority of people who have the genuinely old fashioned views against LGBTQ stuff.

Well, that’s one way of framing it.

These people have no lives, typically older men in their 40s/50s with no kids and no families of their own so they are prime candidates for becoming immersed in all kinds of weird stuff online including conspiracies and believing RTE workers are using some chemicals extracted from children in order to maintain their youth. It's the very same weirdos who go online and attack the LGTBQ community. If we imagine that these people were hardline racists in the old fashion sense, which they are by the way, they are not allowed to spout their racist views in public or on the radio. They can dress it up as they usually do with the dogwhistle of "im only talking about culture and not race" but this is just something they learned from the likes of Steven Crowder as a way to slip in racism and feel like they have outsmarted people by talking about culture instead. I'm assuming it was some of these lowlifes on the program.

Your assumption would be incorrect in that case, specifically as the discussion was off the back of proposed changes in Irish legislation regarding maternity leave in employment, and the objections are coming primarily from women, as opposed to your caricature of what you characterise as lowlifes.

Their objections refer to Heading 12 in the General Scheme of the Work Life Balance and Miscellaneous Provisions Bill 2022 -

Amendment of section 16(1) of Maternity Protection Act 1994 – reference to "woman” for the purposes of entitlement to maternity leave

Provide that

The Maternity Protection Act 1994 is amended –

(a) in section 16(1) by the replacement of “woman” with “person”.

Explanatory Note

The proposed amendment is intended to provide a transgender male who has in accordance with the Gender Recognition Act 2015, obtained a gender recognition certificate and subsequently becomes pregnant, to fall within the scope of the Maternity Protection Act 1994.

Should section 7(2) of the Maternity protection Act 1994 be deleted (see Head 11), it is possible to rely on Section 4(1), 18(b)(ii) and section 6 of the Interpretation Act 2005 to read a reference to “her” in the 1994 Act as gender neutral or to include a transgender male/male pregnant employee.

However the reference to “woman” in section 16(1) of the 1994 Act could be interpreted as excluding the application of s.18(b)(ii) of the Interpretation Act 2005. For the avoidance of doubt, “woman” is being substituted for a gender neutral term, such as “person”.

https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/221774/b7943e63-e1a6-43f6-9957-0eec3d7f0d47.pdf#page=null

Their objections are based upon the idea that the wording is an attempt to erase women from legislation, and thereby undermine women and women’s rights. Ironically enough, they too, like yourself, are claiming that it’s typically being promoted by grown men with old fashioned ideas about women, immersed in all kinds of weird stuff online 🤔

It basically amounts to a competition to see who’s the best at playing the victim, sort of a race to the bottom kinda thing. It looks like RTE have cottoned onto the fact that there’s revenue to be gained from facilitating these people, so the fact that Dublin Pride have severed their media relationship with RTE might well be a kick in the stones, or… it might not -

Dublin Pride said it expects a response on how RTÉ will make "amends for this situation".

RTÉ has yet to comment on the announcement.

So far it looks as though RTE doesn’t give a single fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I've read the whole thread and I'm not really any the wiser on what their issue is. Don't fancy listening to 3hrs of Joe. Can anyone summarise what the issue they have is, is it how it was moderated?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So the issue is that a woman who transforms herself to a transgender man and becomes pregnant doesn't want to find himself falling under the umbrella term "woman".

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I’m fairness, I think a lot of LGB people want no part of it, and are sick of T piggy backing on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Wtf are you on about - children do not have surgery

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The same guys who broke that totally legit story of a non binary person getting stabbed and beaten with a baseball bat at 7pm on dame street?

Totally reputable outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Even if RTE stand their ground, they will always be wary in future about covering such issues.

The message is "Do not discuss trans issues EVER!!!", Unless it's of course alphabet approved speech. .

I'm also seeing lots of comments around about the "Rise in attacks" against the alphabeters. We remember last week there was a fabricated attack. But they are still trying to subconsciously link it to some sort of spate of attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Winston Churchill opined that an appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile in the hope it eats him last.

It seems the crocodile has finally gotten around to eating RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Likewise not a Joe fan. Haven't listened (yet) either but as far as I can tell from the thread, he did a decent job moderating the discussion.

As best as I can make out here the proposed change of terminology in maternity leave legislation is causing problems (rightly in my view) for women who feel they are being devalued by having the reference changed to people.

(Edited because it's too early for this stuff) if you're a biological man then you don't need maternity leave because you can't physically have children. If you're a biological woman who wants to be seen (legally and otherwise) as a man then why is this a problem? Haven't you rejected that side of yourself?

The bottom line as usual with this identity politics stuff is that it can't avoid the hard wall called Reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

So, can RTE just respond and say that they regret Dublin Pride's thoughts, but that as national broadcasters they won't be stopped from facilitating these types of debates?

Just leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

What was actually said that is the problem as i cannot see this info in any article i read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

It's great to hear the issues debated on national radio. I have a young person going through a gender crisis, mainly brought on by YouTube and friends. It's horrible walking on eggshells because you could be labeled transphobia at any moment, well when it suits them. Calling them by their birth name is met with a barrage of abuse, well except when the weekly Chinese arrives then it's nothing, but to do a chore around the house it's a melt down. Call by their chosen female name and it doesn't register with them.

Yet we will support them on their journey no matter where it takes them. Although we will not provide any financial help until there is at least 12 months of psychology.

The absurdity of some members of the trans community is laughable at this stage, You can support the person and call out the ridiculous nature of some members of the movement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

I'm listening to this now on catch up and a lecturer called Collette is thanking Joe for facilitating this debate, as its so important. She says that often even having a debate on trans issues can be viewed as transphobic, and the debate gets shut down.

Joe asked "who's trying to shut down this debate? “. Well he got his answer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Only bit I don’t understand is what it feels like to be a man. I’m a man yet I don’t know what it feels like. If someone asked me to define what it feels like, I wouldn’t have a clue. Are there certain thoughts or feelings that define gender? Genuine question.

The rest I don’t try to understand, without experiencing it I can’t so as long as someone’s happy not a **** could I give.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

This argument doesn't wash in the slightest - a woman is a woman. A "transwoman" is still a man, and will never be a woman on a biological or physical level - no amount of chemicals or surgical alterations or throwing toys out of the pram changes that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I saw this on another forum: "religion was once bad enough, but it's now LGBTQ" - the context being that there was a time when you couldn't say anything bad about religion. You were a dirty sinner etc. There was something wrong with you etc. Now if you say anything in the slightest against LGBTQ you are instantly labelled as a horrible person and homophobic.

Weird world we live in. Then again, the more things change the more they stay the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A lot of this is being driven by foreign government bot farms on twitter to amplify extreme voices. Even when you look at the Pride Twitter account, a lot of those responders are bots. You have people trying to get into to debates with R2D2. The likes/retweets are riddled with Bots too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You are wrong here. There are many Women that do not have a womb or a Uterus which is just the medical term for what non medical people call a womb but according to you most Women have two Wombs which is a first to me.

Yeah, I had a bit of a WTF to that myself. 😁

A Trans Women does not use chemicals she uses hormones the very same hormones that a Woman will use when she needs HRT because her natural hormones are low after she has had or is going through Menopause.

So what is she now not a woman? Just because she has a Uterus or a womb but has to now take as you say chemicals which they are not by the way. Most hormone tablets come from natural plant sources.

Eh... hormones are chemicals. If you extract vitamin C from an orange or make it up in a lab it's still the same ascorbic acid. Same goes for testosterone. I know this seems to throw some, but "natural" means feck all, though I suppose it sells stuff in supermarkets when it's labelled as such.

So I suppose you probably think a women that has had her Uterus oh wait I meant to say womb just incase you do not understand and Overies removed is not a Women anymore because she can no longer procreate.

This is a truck. Its sole purpose is to move freight around. I can drive it empty and even remove the container entirely and stick a Ford Focus badge on the back, doing so it does not make it a car, it's still a truck, .

Also a Trans Woman uses hormones tablets or patches etc to align their body the way it should have been at birth. They do not want to just appear like a woman on the outside because they are and always have been a woman both inside and outside. They are just helping their body become what it always should have been like. No one would just choose this as its not an easy path to follow. What is so hard about that to understand?

What I find difficult to understand is how does a woman, or a man for that matter feel to be one or the other? We share the same chromosomes and plumbing but beyond that I have zero idea what other men feel about being a man, I've even less than zero idea how women feel about being women. I'm quite sure how I feel as a man is quite different to how many other men may feel about the same thing, if they consider it at all. Now we hear all the time the "gender is a social construct". That feminine and masculine are mutable terms. EG a skirt is feminine in one culture, masculine in another, both in another. OK, if this is true the it follows what women or men feel to be female or male is also a social construct. Would this mean a kid brought up in a different culture with different feminine/masculine constructs might be Trans in one and not in another?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yep ,they were also to a man and woman, ardent Marxists back in the day, devastated at having lost the economic battle in 1989 and having never forgiven the middle class for not having joined the revolution, they turned all their attention to the culture war and haven't stopped since undermining traditional social structures and norms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Transwomen don't even have to use chemicals/hormones etc. They don't even have to appear like a woman on the outside. Our laws say they only have to identify as trans to change their gender and hey presto, they are now a different gender.

What would have been fun would have been if Donald Trump had announced that he was transgender when he was the US president. The trans movement would have had to accept Donald Trump as the first female president of the US. 😁 Well, according to the rules, all one has to do is identify as trans and you are trans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Haha god, what a wishy washy attempt to redefine what a man/woman is.

Being a man/woman has nothing to do with feelings, it just is. Is your age 250? If not, why not?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a feminine gay man (or masculine gay woman) but the thought that after some hormones and surgery that this makes them a woman is stupid. It reduces what it means to be a woman. Its not a coat to wear.

By your logic, Rachel Dolezal, the white woman who masqueraded as a black woman because she felt like a black woman was in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Twitter is to blame for all this crap and outrage.

Since when did we start having to change everything to accommodate the many?

Isn't the saying "For the many, not for the few". Now it seems to be the opposite.

Twitter allows slacktivists to click like on posts and then corps see the posts and **** the bed and they start lapping it all up to make more money.

A lot of these people are just thinking trans is the new gay and that they want to be on the good side of history so they can stroke their ego in future. "Look, trans are widely accepted now, I was supporting it when it wasn't cool!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I had a whip thru that lad who was left with the phantom limb; he is fairly angry and rightly so you don’t facilitate a mentally Ill persons delusion but what’s the alternative would he have lopped it off himself? Think I’m at a point of acceptance on my life. Seems a lot of trans aren’t merely trolling and I wish them well, god I wish them well. Seemed like a simultaneously edgy yet funny thing to do ; when I raided the girlfriends closet one night and stepped out for another bottle of vino but holy hell some folk are entrenched

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

What is the maximum age someone can be and still be defined as a child?

What's the youngest age that someone can have these surgeries?

I'm sure I read that the youngest is 16 years old and that 16 years olds have had "bottom" and "top" surgeries but you know more about it, being part of that community, so at what age are people starting to have these surgeries?

• Advertisement

The beautiful irony about generalising about people who you feel are generalising about a group you support.

*chef's kiss

Advertisement