Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Golf Travel Bags

Options
  • 14-06-2022 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭

Am heading overseas with a few pals for a golfing trip interspersed with beer:)

Will be first time having my clubs on a plane. Have a decent set of clubs so don't want them damaged if it can be avoided.

Had a quick look on Progolf and McGuirks websites. The budget priced travel bags seem to be around 90 euro,then on the Pro Golf site there is a good quality looking one for 150 euro.

On Mc Guirks site they start from 70 euro going up to 330 euro for a Ping one!!

Appreciate thoughts of those who have travel bags they use while flying and are happy with for being of good sturdy quality with Roller wheels.good pocket space for golf shoes,balls etc and protect their clubs from damage.

Thanks for any replies.

Ps- I would imagine something in the 150 to 200 euro price range should provide a decent bag.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sipper

A basic bag for €80 - €100 with wheels is fine, but make sure to -

Take any modern removable driver and fairway wood heads off and out in the golf bag side pocket

Buy a broom stick / dowel rod at 46 - 48 inches to take the strain.

Pack club heads with towels and spare clothes

Lock it with a small padlock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭coillcam

I was coming through the airport over the weekend and saw a stand bag with only a rain cover on the top of the clubs. It was waiting alongside a lot of late baggage at the Swissport desk. I shuddered to think of what could have been underneath it.

I did see plenty of lads carrying golf clubs had soft travel bags with wheels which seemed absolutely fine. Other sports equipment I've spotted over the years was also in these types of bags (skis etc). Generally, they did seem to have a hard structure in the middle like a strong arm or bar to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thanks, as regards the broom stick, do you literally mean the long wooden handle for a brush you would use in the kitchen sweeping the floor?

Yes, exactly, or more like a yard brush type rod, solid timber,1 inch in diameter x 46 - 48 inches long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I my mates one for a recent trip to Portugal. Perfect

MacGregor Golf MACTC003SD MACTEC Deluxe Wheeled Golf Travel Cover Bag 

Amazon's 

Choice

for "golf travel bag"

You can get it on Amazon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

A hard case bag is the safest option but they are very expensive and heavy. You can't get much more into them to stay under the 20kg limit. I brought the macgregor bag , previously mentioned above, now a few times to spain and i have never had any issue as long as you take the precautions the lads have also mentioned above. Great too to pack a few extra bits. Golfs shoes, golf clothes, toiletries etc. and on the way home it acts as a laundry bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I've had cheap ones and expensive ones. The expensive ones get ripped just as easily as the cheap ones do 😁

I don't think you need to worry about the broomstick, never heard of anyone who has any issues and it just adds unnecessary weight.

My advice, get one with wheels and padding around the clubheads. you want to pack your clothes around your bag, so cuts down on an extra bag and protects the important stuff

I'm re shafting an average of 2 drivers per week from in bound tourists here in the south west. These are almost always broken in transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭swededmonkey

A pal of mine has this and has used it for multiple trips

Golf Travel Rolling Cover Bag - Dark Grey - Decathlon

Edit - Wrong thread

Advertisement