Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'd love a few scams that are so bad that they somehow succeeded today

• Registered Users Posts: 15,358 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I wonder if dis thread itself, and subsequent twitter twats, has been any factor in all dis throwing toys out of de pram malarkey ? All rolled into one so to speak, because anyone with half a brain listening to the last few days could surely imagine all the eggshells dat Duffy and Co were trying to avoid treading on.

If so, I can only say......well done callers ! Give yourselves a big bualadh bos !

And if any of the woke militants are tuning in ? Gerrupdayard and cop on to yourselves ! D'yhereme ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'd be the last one to defend Joe, but it was all far from Transphobic, he could find himself out in the same pastures as Old George Hook soon! What would happen the thread then!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'm also struggling to find what they are offended by to be honest, and I listened to the full 2 days of the rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

In fairness, the timing of the discussion was absolutely shocking, with callers suggesting that trans people could be a danger to women and children. Very similar rhetoric that would have been covered about the gay community during the initial referendum (can a child be raised normally by 2 men/women, not natural, etc, etc). Why on earth they chose to air this discussion during Pride Month is something else.

That being said, Joe didn't say anything himself, but a lot of comments went unchallenged.

Have to agree ( albeit it pains me not to blame Joe)

The harsh reality of what was discussed or should I say waffled, was actually incoherent nonsense, even Cawlurs confused, the woke and LGBT movement always lurking to jump onto something to further their goals, Duffy jumped head first into a slapping, that he does deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

I don't see that happening. I believe he got a nod of support from Tubs this morning as well. Nobody seems to be able to point to anything specifically transphobic that was said, and there was plenty of opportunity afforded to people to respond. I don't see any reasonable grounds to criticise the program at all.

With support from Tubs who needs enemies, he's made his own classic whoppers of late. Fellow NK Management celeb supporting a Fellow NK Celeb will actuallly likely now focus attention of the loonies on Tubs, silly of him to be getting involved IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

In Joe's defence I've no idea why he or rte for that matter should apologise, its only right and normal that such subjects should be aired and discussed leaving aside the suitability of the forum they were discussed on.. Ngo's and interest groups alone in their echo chambers can't be trusted with these matters, oftentimes they end up doing far more harm than good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭archfi

I don't think that happened, I listened (Fri and Mon only)

The arguments and points I heard being played out were to do with self ID and what that entails for society especially in regards to girls and women across public life.

And why shouldn't it be aired? The same temper tantrum reactions and infantalising of people would still occur on Twitter (and that's where it's born) on any other day of the year

This is meant to be a democratic, secular Republic!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Expunge

Absolutely agree, Jeff.

They can fook off with their Culture Wars etc. We get enough of that everywhere, including in my children's so called 'Catholic' schools.

I want **** pigeons, outraged travellers at Dooblin Aeropuerto looking for their suitcases............ Dublin taxi drivers knowing fooking everthing................"I will slash de tyres", don't do de accent........... bad, bad ethnically distinct roofing technicians bringing an auld wan down to the post-office to get the 'fee'......... Michael O'Leary riling up the host..... how's de leg?.................

Is it too much to ask to have at least one show on Radio Wan presented by a vain buffoon catering to the inconsequential obsessions of the nutters of Ireland?

I absolutely agree Free speech, Debate and abilities to express an opinion is and was important , I don't believe Duffy didn't anything wrong, he's just a buffoon but the harsh reality, like it or not we've sadly reached a stage (I may be wrong) we're literally nothing can be discussed without outrage taking over, I sometimes think there's a Woke response for literally every comment, opinion, Statement or belief, the wurld is gone quite literally mad.

The only time I've actually seen Wokism getting a kick in the hole was the Deep / Horrid Heard case. The me two shower were literally waiting to pounce, fingers on the keyboard and suddenly the narrative changed with almost universal approval of the Verdict, infact Heard castigated from every corner, especially Wimmin,

Depp not only won, he's re invigorated his Career and it absolutely sickens the Woke Brigade who are tounge tied in their ability to respond.

RTÉ is disappointed with the decision to end a partnership we had developed together with a range of bodies over the last three years. Standing with the LGBTQ+ community, during Pride month sends an important signal that RTÉ is here to serve everyone, and over the last three years RTÉ has sought to include these communities and extend understanding through a range of specially produced content, campaigns and partnerships.

Public discussion – sometimes uncomfortable, difficult, and contentious – is central to RTÉ’s prescribed purpose. RTÉ is acutely aware that discussions on issues such as gender and identity are deeply personal to many. It is important we listen to them, their families and those close to them, and it is also important that we allow our audiences engage with and understand the issues involved.

RTÉ will, consistent with its statutory obligations, respond to any formal complaints concerning the broadcasts.

RTÉ will continue to stand with our LGBTQ+ staff and the wider community during Pride month and beyond. In time, we hope that we will once again get the opportunity to continue to develop our partnership with Dublin Pride.

ENDS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Hitchens

........and the NRA to present de Lahvlahn host with a replica of the musket that Davy Crockett used in the Alamo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

It's not often I would dare to agree with RTE, but I do in this case.

Liveline, by it's very nature, has the nation calling and airing their opinions.

I recall not so long ago that Joe had a discussion after the Healy-Rae/Varadkar dail spat where Joe was very empathetic to trans folks and their struggles. So for Dublin Pride to be throwing RTE to one side as a result of a discussion, is nothing more than being petulant.

RTE, as an organisation and public services broadcaster has held aloft a light for LGBTQ+ groups and never balked from standing by their employees, no matter who or what they were (Craven being an exception).

If I were RTE, I would refuse to engage with Dublin Pride unless a wholehearted apology was forthcoming. Time to wear the big boy/girl pants now!

Seems a fairly neutral statement, but inviting a complaint suggests they aren't too worried about defending it.

Read this earlier and honestly two words would have sufficed, actually 3 on reflection

FUXK RIGHT OFF 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Ah jaysus folks, I don't tune for a few days and it seems all hell has broken loose with Joe has upsetting the LGBTQ community. What happened? It's not like Joe to do something like this.

• Gonna miss de show today as I have an appointment for coffee, so to speak. It could be good with the latest shenanigans.

• Advertisement

That's an interesting point, and the one program I listened to, someone said the same thing. Duffy had his own response to it, but there are other angles as well. Like there's a cohort in the lesbian community who don't go along with aspects of the trans agenda. To them being lesbian means same sex attraction, but that's now regarded as transphobic if a lesbian rules out attraction to someone with a male body but who identifies as a woman, because they have a male body. So, there's a conflict there within the LGBT community, and maybe Pride month is an opportunity for these people to see the issue being aired more widely.

We're have you been Cawlur 😁 actually you've not missed much, painful few days, it's Da Internet and Woke reactions are the fun bits 😉

Just be sure to show extreme sensitivity if ordering a Fairy Cake or Apple Turnover, you never know who might be listening in, you could cause needless outrage 😁

I suggest you pretend to be a person of Determination Cawlur 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭furiousox

Seems the woke brigade aren't content unless they're outraged about something, anything.

Must be exhausting being in a constant state of outrage and unhappiness.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

This time last year it was the far right covid conspiracy Gemma O'Doherty whackers trying to nuke RTE. Goes to show there's lunatics on either side of the political spectrum

Seemingly not based on a number of threads across boards at the moment 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Hindsight ringing through Joe's and producer's head right now. But I don't think anyone expected it to snowball like this. Just goes to show you can never underestimate the power of the PC outraged Twitter brigade

At the same time I don't feel sorry for Joe/RTE. It was clear after 5 mins on day 1 the debate was head melting and just going around in circles, like all debates around trans. Should have been killed as soon as it began. Was never going to achieve anything other than outrage. Only way these things would ever get put to bed is through a vote.

• Liveline has actually exposed this movement for what it is. Destructive to the people it purports to serve, which is really a malcontent very authoritarian autocratic subset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

I recon Joe will come on today read the statement and then in his hierarchy tone mock them and how they don't understand the people and how his show is cawler driven blah blah blah.... basically do himself no favours!!

• Advertisement

• There should have been a referendum to remove the word “mother” and that. Can you imagine the tedious debate before it! Being trans or not is what it is, but changing legal language to disenfranchise one cohort to serve another rightfully needed the input of all.

Advertisement