Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He does seem positively obsessed with childless oul lads alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭archfi

Joe Duffy has unwittingly (or possibly in full knowledge) shown a lot of people in Ireland exactly what kind of temper and dramatics have informed & directed govt over the past 7-10 years in regards to these issues and beyond.

These people get to decide what words mean in legislation eg, 'hate', 'woman', 'mother' etc

And having listened to Joe Duffy over the years this is one of the only times he has actually done his job facilitating a discussion rather than hectoring and shouting down one side and pushing his own agenda. It's gas, I haven't heard one of the activists mention the very fine contribution of Luke, a trans man, to the show. Or Dara, a trans woman.

I can't believe Duffy was actually a bit professional and just look at the reaction from the absolute dumpster of wailing and gnashing coming from the 'official' rainbow umbrella of orgs - NOT from, I hasten to add, 'all' LGB or T people, just the orgs and activists who tell us they speak for all.

Hint, they don't.

The arrogance of the plethora of rainbow orgs is there for all to see - the Dublin Pride statement declares 'LGBTQ+ people and their allies are the majority of people in Ireland, the majority shareholders, have the right to make RTE accountable, demand amends' <-- see what they do here? They take this declaration of the majority from our 2015 Marriage referrendum where yes, 2/3rds voted Yes on a specific issue which was the correct thing to do and have extrapolated and worn that as the basis for every other ridiculous thing they declare as fact. They use an LGB issue to cloak a seperate issue.

RTE have a choice to make - be a national, fair and trusted broadcaster or a mouthpiece for one set of extreme but embedded and vociferous activists.

It's all public now which is great.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

F*ck me, you just described my eldest brother to a tee - although he is a thick who is not good with technology or expressing himself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

I think the question of what people see as "a woman" is pretty interesting in this context.

The handful of people I know about who have transitioned seem to initially start with putting on stereotypical women's clothing, either grow their hair or put on a wig and start wearing makeup. Even a few people online who maybe have a beard but still identify as a woman will still go for the long hair, makeup and dress.

So, while we see one side defining a woman in biological terms, the other side seems to define a woman in very superficial terms themselves.

I think there's maybe an interesting idea that a lot of people actually want to be women, for whatever reason, and defining a woman by their biology is seen as "gatekeeping" womanhood. On the other hand anybody can put on some makeup and a dress and this makes womanhood far more accessible.

It's quite funny when you realise that some people are arguing that a woman is an adult human female and the other side are saying no because this person here is not an adult human female but they are a woman. Look! They are even wearing a dress!

They've basically just boiled womanhood down to stereotypes like fashion, makeup, hair and other stereotypical hobbies and interests. So now it can be accessed by anyone rather than having biology be a kind of gatekeeper that only permits biological females into the club.

1000s of years from now, when alien archeologists are digging up our remains, there's gonna be a hell of a lot of people being misgendered.

So they instantly cut ties with the national broadcaster because it allowed Irish people to express opinions and viewpoints which they didn't like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's something obviously at odds I have noticed for a long time since Kaitlyn Jenner attempting to be hyper feminine.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Standard MO for them really, if you don't nod along 100% with their delusions you are a phobe or an ist and need to be shouted down. That might work fine in colleges and other safe spaces, it doesn't work the same in the adult real world. When the trans community are mature enough to have these discussions without shrieking it will be a positive step for them, until then they can quite frankly **** off and I hope RTE tell them the same

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Yes this seems to be the case and it doesn’t bode well for the future if RTE don't hold their own ground.

It’s another example of the inherent contradiction we see from vociferous lobby groups who preach tolerance and inclusivity yet also advocate for censorship and sew division. This is not something that I feel is healthy or sustainable.

RTE should simply release a statement along the lines of:

We regret the decision of Dublin Pride to end its media partnership with RTE.

As the national public broadcaster, we are committed to providing robust debate on a range of issues that are in the wider public interest. Whilst we regret their decision, our commitment to freedom of speech means that we are obliged to conduct these debates, often on sensitive matters.

That is why we are happy to announce that a fourth episode of Liveline will air tomorrow, the 16 June, on the subject of gender identity in society.

Should Dublin Pride re-examine their termination of relations with RTE, we will gladly consider their proposal.

In other words, RTE should take the higher ground, condemn their actions, and continue to pursue these kinds of debate in good faith.

Dublin Pride shouldn't have the last word on the matter, nor influence future programming content on RTE.

The only way to end this cycle of censorship is to take it head on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i was actually listening to caitlin on the old norm mcdonald podcast, very funny. She was in a golf tournament and suggested to her team of men that she play from the ladies tee, her teammates asked "Why?" as apparently her swing is savage (being the former greatest athlete in america) and she said " coz i could hit every green in 2 from there and we'll win :)

so that started an argument with the committee which she won "because I'm a woman" which she won :)

god damn cheatin trans golfers.....or are they ??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

RTE, the great lovers of liberty and fair debate, will surely not tolerate this. Seriously though, this is just RTE getting a dose of their own medicine. They've create a culture of non debate, where there's no frank and fair discussion of serious matters on air. They've now taken a risk and had what seems like a fair discussion, and the monsters they've created and placated and now coming for them.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 40,234 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They've create a culture of non debate, where there's no frank and fair discussion of serious matters on air.

Would you be able to give 3 examples of this suppression of "frank and fair" discussion of "serious matters"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

I still think the vast majority of outrage is from trans “allies”, not trans people themselves.

I have to admit, I do not like the word “woman” being removed from the maternity act. It doesn’t mean I’m outraged, or hate trans people, or wish them ill in any way. But I am a woman. I want that word in a maternity act. Not “person”. The amount of trans men who go on to give birth must be 0.0001% of the population. The proportion of those trans men who feel genuinely offended that the word in the text is woman, and not person, is probably a quarter of that tiny number.

I just think we should think very carefully before we change the fundamental meaning of language, to accommodate a tiny number of people with gender dysphoria. I see no conflict between having a civilised discussion on this complex issue, and protecting the human rights of trans people. It’s the social media activists spouting rubbish online like “sending love to all the people harmed by RTE’s toxic content today xx” that need to get a fcuking grip. When you think what humans in the past have had to survive- trench warfare, plagues, horrible diseases, famine- like jesus christ.

Why do you waste peoples time making them explain obvious things to you? A frank debate, is two opposing sides arguing honestly. Usually without the cheap tactics of slander, snark, and name calling, tactics you're all too familiar with. I won't be wasting anymore looking for examples for you.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

That's a very important distinction.

For example: there are prominent trans women - such as Blaire White (1 million+ YouTube Subscribers), who are openly critical of what trans activists are saying/doing on this question. There are lots of other trans women - including Rose of Dawn and Debbie Hayton, who are equally as critical.

So when we talk about "trans", it's imperative that we don't lump everyone together and assume they all think the same things. They often vary quite considerably. Trans women / men and trans activism are two very different things.

The same is true for many gay and bisexual people who are critical of some aspects of trans activism, too.

I know what frank debate is, I asked you for examples of this culture that RTE have created?

It was a perfectly legitimate polite pertinent question based on the charge you made.

Yet you refuse to answer, revert to name calling all whilst bemoaning lack of fair and honest debate. You couldn't make it up 😂

You need to read that quote you have attached to every post, probably more importantly try and understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean there was feck all discussion of covid policies and if what the government was doing was right or too much. It took ages before anyone started questioning things.

Really?

I remember Prime Time having cranks on from either extreme end of the spectrum several times.

• Advertisement

I can appreciate the desire to change your identity, especially when life isn't working out. That's especially true in the current climate of others needing to walk on eggshells to avoid offending the person undergoing the change. Makes it easier to find space for yourself in a rather hectic and often cruel world.

However, it boils down to some simple personal experiences for me. I've dated ladyboys in Asia, which has a much longer and established (unlike the west) relationship with Transsexuals, and has managed to integrate them into their societies. Somewhat. The problem though is that even though these partners are rather feminine in their behaviours, they're not women. There are repeated differences in how men and women behave in relationships, and when intimacy is being exchanged. Yes, individuals are all different, with their own unique attributes, but.. there is a commonality of behaviour due to similarities in culture when it comes to sex/gender across all cultures. The traditional perspective of how men and women behave exists everywhere to some extent, and that feeds into how we develop as adults. It shapes how our personalities form, and how/what we value in our own lives. It shapes how we react to hostility, fear, anger, etc.. because in society, men and women are treated differently. That conditioning matters.

All the Trans people I've met transitioned as teens/adults... and it shows. They're both feminine and masculine. In public they're mostly very feminine, because they're putting on a show, and even in private with a partner, that show continues.. but more masculine traits/behaviours come out in private too. They developed as a child/teen/adult persona (and a wealth of experiences) as that sex, in the world they lived in, and then.. changed their physical attributes. But the past experiences and persona remain, even if they wish to be their opposite sex. There is also the problem of the hormones that they take, which tend to have... consequences on their emotional states, which is revealed in their behaviours. (I've heard guys complain or make jokes about women being unpredictable or emotional.. but wait until you've dated a Transsexual still transitioning.)

Wibbs raised the point about not knowing what other men feel about being a man, or how he feels himself about being a man. Grand. Although, I would say that having a penis is rather... influential in determining and maintaining your identity as a man. Sure, it doesn't define us (that's the desire to jump to extremes), but it has enormous impact over time in how we view ourselves and others, as a man. It has impacted on our interactions with others over time, and that also translates into how we developed as "men". I'd imagine a vagina would the similar for women because of the regular reminders of their sex.

Transsexuals are different from men or women. Their identity (whether artificial or natural) is different. Their behaviours are different. And the rake of problems they have with themselves (which we all have) are different too. Because Transsexuals are different. They're neither men or women, but have created an entirely "new" state.. and should be treated as such. With respect and equality, but not the same as men and women... just the same that a man and a woman are not treated the same. (Dunno why there is such aggression about all this. A simple recognition of two new genders, separate but treated fairly.. but that's not going to be accepted).

Now... I'll avoid the transgender debate because I think it's mostly baloney. That someone can change their gender, with a snap of their fingers is rubbish. No different from a human claiming to be a faery and expecting others to accommodate that belief, adjusting their lifestyles, and behaviours to suit. Besides which, the advocates on boards for Trans rights, tend to be extremely aggressive and abusive, and there is absolutely no value in engaging in any kind of discussion with them.

As for RTE, nothing will come of this. They'll revert back to their incredibly biased, woke/leftist stance the first moment they can. I wouldn't be surprised to see a LGBTQXYZ history month come out of this, as a sop to ease the outraged, while reaffirming the position RTE has on all "marginalised" groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Won't tolerate debate about where immigrants are going to live, they were very much pro COVID lockdown, they were until now loathe to say anything that was a questioning of trans direction we are going in . But I'm sure you disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Why label anyone as a crank? We're all grown ups here. Be civil please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I listened to that liveline.i don't think I've ever been as confused after listening to it.

One "person" came on and they must have listed at least a dozen genders/ types whatever you want to call them i honestly don't know.

.its just gone beyond a joke at this stage. Maybe rte are better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭rogber

The most loud, aggressive, fanatical and hostile section of the trans community always seems to be the M to F one, which is kind of ironic, as men also tend to be the most aggressive, fanatical, and hostile group in every other aspect of society, from religion to politics. I think some of these "women" are not as un-male as they like to think.

Essentially, men are to blame for the insane elements of the transgender community?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They have a point to be fair. M-F are by a long way the most public and vocal in this identity politic. You have to go hunting to find F-M commentators.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

IMHO a lot of that is down to social media companies and I don't just mean people looking for identities to latch onto and finding them online and egging each other on. Though that's certainly in play too.

EG Facebook have dozens of "genders" and "identities" Inclusivity? Bollocks IMHO. It's far more about making their market research into their customers more granular so they can sell that to advertisers, marketing companies and poliical agencies. So for example they might see that "Pangender" users are more likely to click on travel type pages so they can sell that.

as men also tend to be the most aggressive, fanatical, and hostile group in every other aspect of society

I take it that you haven't spent much time around feminists, woke activists or PETA supporters? (which tend to attract more female members than males)

Men are naturally more aggressive due to the chemicals in their bodies, but most men learn to control the aggressive impulses. However, society and social conditioning also encourage aggression or hostility in people and women are not exempt from that conditioning.

Anyway, most of the Trans community would be rather quiet and unassuming. Pretty much the same way that homosexuals were in the past. It's the Trans advocates/activists who are aggressive, fanatical and hostile. You should consider quizzing those on boards with strong pro-trans views as to whether they are Trans. I suspect you'll find that the vast majority aren't trans but are protesting/promoting on their behalf.

Even when you further online, looking at twitter bios, or whatever, you'll find that few of those protesting so aggressively are Trans themselves. They'll have their pronouns up, or whatever, but they won't be actually trans in their own lives. We live in a world where people assume others causes, and make them our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

I help admin an FB group where, a couple of years ago, a picture was posted of a woman in a tight fitting T-shirt that represented the hobby the group covers.

The wearer of the shirt was a member of the group and had absolutely no issue with the picture.

The one person who raised hell was M-F transgender and screamed blue murder about objectifying women.

Just to reinforce some above points being made.

Advertisement