Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Shite defense. **** it, sure England shipped 4 without reply tonight can’t be that bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭briany

It was a spirited and confident performance with a great goal scored, in a match where not many seemed to have much hope going in. Have a bit of positivity for a change.

No, I’m not having that marking was awol then they all get sucked toward the ball. Wanted to be able to say top of the group, who’s not being positive

You can not have it as much as you want, but that was a much better performance than most of us were expecting in a game where not many were giving the team a chance. That's something to try and build on and gain confidence from.

You need to get in that Kenny headspace. See the bigger picture; moment of madness and a lot of good work undone

• Advertisement

Well, Kenny just said it himself. He was disappointed with the concession of the goal, as virtually any manager would be, but you can tell he's keen to learn from that mistake. So let's take that into the Autumn and see the team win its last two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a week is a long time in politics, well the same could be said for Football - what a turnaround from this time last week 😶

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

Theres been no turnaround from those who want Kenny gone no matter what. He has a team playing good football and we must stick with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm sure Gareth Southgate would gladly swap places with him😎

At the end of the day, Kenny's getting the support from the fans. I must say that I've found the level of support he's getting quite surprising, given that in all the time I've been following Ireland, I've become used to the knives coming out for any other manager who's gotten the results that Kenny's gotten so far. There just seems to have been an upwelling of grassroots support for Kenny in recognition of his ambition to get Ireland playing a more positive kind of football, and recognition that this won't be successful overnight or even particularly soon, so he's getting lots of time and patience.

But there are a reliable cadre of malcontents who are miffed at this and throw their toys out of the pram and just lash out with, "Well yiz are all in a cult!" They were hoping for a stick-the-knife-in party, a sacrifice to appease the footballing gods, poor craturs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Bazunu, Coleman, Doherty, Duffy, Egan, possibly Omobamidele missing from our first choice team. There was bound to be the odd slip up at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,189 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm expecting two horrible losses out of the gate in autumn

Then an odd win or draw to paper over the cracks.

Rinse and repeat.

Look at the players we have.

How many of our squad would get in to the likes of a top 10 team? Collins, Bazunu maybe.

The kind of mixed style is our best hope as in pass it around a good bit but don’t be afraid to fire in a few long balls as well as Parot and Obefemi have shown they can contest a 50/50 well.

We don’t have outstanding players like the two Keanes, Duff, Whelan, Townsend etc anymore. We don’t have an outstanding midfielder that can dictate the tempo of the game.

The level of player we have needs to over-perform to be competitive

The real issue isn’t the management rather the conveyer of young talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Masch8933

Very good performance last night, Kenny does deserve credit for this as well as criticism for how we started this window.

If Ireland could find consistency (and keep all of our squad fit) we could give the qualifiers a good rattle.

We need more strength coming off the bench which carry a threat, Robinson is just so poor and Ogbene has energy but no real quality but that sums up our current set

At the back we are very strong, I know Collins got the headlines but I thought Lenihan was very good also. Both are better than Duffy for the way we want to play I feel.

I know there will always be those who will hate Kenny because of the backing he has got but how refreshing it was to see an Ireland team play football against a good side and continue to push for a winning goal instead of the last 20 years of sticking everyone behind the ball and hoping for a corner, free kick or goalkeeper assist to score a goal. Its the way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 15,189 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No

Another poster put it better than me.

They are scraping along the bottom with the odd spike like Saturday and yesterday and that lifts them off the bottom then they drop down again and continue to scrape along the bottom.

Mayo on the other hand cruise near the top but never actually reach the top, and rarely drop from their cruising altitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I way prefer this style of play with some signs of progress, regardless of some bad results, than the years of hoofball trying to scrape 1-1s and the odd heroic 1-0 to qualify for a tournament where we'll just embarrass ourselves with the worst style of football that no one plays any more. 2012 was pointless, 2016 we were thumped by Belgium and only drew with a very average Swedish side and had a gimme against that Italian team. I'd like to keep King Kenny for years to come and keep this style of play and hopefully some top players emerge sooner or later, because until we get a few of those we're not going anywhere anyway regardless of whether we get in Big Sam or not.

I would argue the opposite, up until Armenia the team had had 14 games with two defeats to two top class teams in Portugal and Serbia. The defeats with the seemingly weaker teams are blips that need to be ironed out, as Ireland find it hard to break them down (because we dont have the quality players who can do it against defensive teams against us) and then we get hit by amazing sucker punch goals.

I would class Mayo like Icarus but soon the wings are going fall off for good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Even with a win we wouldn’t have been top of the group.

Blame LiveScore; had us top while we were leading.

• Advertisement

Yes because the computations are so difficult to work out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

you are taking the performance and result well i see

Was a great goal. Good performance too. Doesn’t suddenly make Kenny a good manager. A week ago we “didn’t have the players”, now it seems we do. Without injuries etc how many of last nights first XI would have started? Would Obafemi have started on Saturday if Ogbene wasn’t injured?

There’s a huge difference between being a lucky manager and a good manager. Luck doesn’t last forever.

Well **** then they wouldn’t be computations would they

-lookit I did go computating, to see if some head to head or somesuch overrode even goal difference. Because you never know what the headcase european governing bodies might be up to these days and given Ukraine haven’t played Scotland yet, it was left feeling entirely plausible.

jesus the state of ye and the strawman clown arguments ye continue to push

simple breakdown: results are good, they're kennys job

style of play is secondary, and even saying that nobody has actually sought trap style rubbish back

theyve merely put forward the view that a few passes across the back is not an actual substitute for performing.

the fact that so many of ye have to resort to the type of bullshit in this post shows that ye have no argument against that basic proposition: kenny will be under pressure while results are appalling

"oh the boo boys have shut up they must be sickened"

jesus christ congrats, better results made things better. what your lot have been arguing against for a week now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

obafemi is a lot better than ogbene, wouldnt expect ogbene to feature a whole pile from here out tbh. unless kenny has a change of heart and plays him as a wing back. a manager "getting lucky" by starting a striker as a striker , first ive heard of it.

Kelleher/Bazunu is splitting hairs at this point, bazunu edges it but makes no difference to any of our outcomes this window IMO. Lucky? not for me.

Collins was starting anyway but his performances gives kenny the excuse to drop duffy from CCB. Collins much better central than he is out right. Lucky? possibly.

Lenihan/OShea equipped themselves well, we all knew osheas ability before this, most of our cbs are on a par tbh. Lucky? not for me.

Ogbene played himself out of contention as did Robinson. Ogbene is just not at the level technically to be used in a central position. Kenny has woken up to that now imo. Lucky? hmm not for me. He got burned and hasnt fallen back on him yet.

Biggest points against kenny this window are his insentience on 2 in the middle for 2 too many games. We always looked better with more bodies in the centre of midfield. Picking a similar team post armenia when players were fatigued/sticking with 2 in the middle overrunning our midfield. In game changes have taken him too long aswell, needs to really wake up to that. Was obvious especially 2nd half v armenia/ukraine we were struggling and hetook too long to change. Ogbene should have been whipped at ht v armenia , robinson likewise. From 20-45 v ukraine the game had slipped out of our hands, again no changes to formation/players at ht. Things to work on for sure, lets hope hes taking them on board.

The judgement on the quality of player Ireland has at its disposal obviously shouldn't be made from game to game, but rather over a prolonged period of time, taking into consideration such factors as being consistently able to beat lower seeds even on a bad night, or being able to recover from setbacks.

What also remains a crucial element is having at least one really standout player to build the team around. This has been true of the great Irish teams under Charlton and McCarthy. It's something Kenny's side lacks, though that's not his fault.

Despite that and despite some bad results, the public largely appears to be behind Kenny and his apparent desire to change the way Ireland plays, so it's unlikely he'll be shown the door in the Autumn, regardless of what how the remaining NL games pan out. He'll get one more campaign after that at least.

1. Obafemi who was only called into the squad after 20 odd games under Kenny? Who “didn’t suit Kennys style of play”?
    2. Bazunu would have made the save against Armenia.
    3. Collins is a standout player. He’d be playing anyway. Moot point.
    4. Lenihan/O’Shea wouldn’t have started if Duffy and Egan were available.
    5. We’ll see in the next game where Ogbene is. He had a very late fitness test before last nights game.

People are deluded if they think the Senior Managers job is to “put a system in place to bring talent through the system”.

Nowhere near his remit. Senior Managers job is to win games and qualify for tournaments to pay for the part in quotes. Nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Obafemi withdrew himself from the squad and was injured several times.

You have no idea of bazunu would've made that save.

Lenihan is always going to struggle to break in. He's a Duffy backup. O'Shea has played when Egan's been available but had injuries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement