Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why not press the door bell?

• 15-06-2022 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭

Over the last few days several people called to the house and none of the used the door bell. It isn't hidden or anything. ASked the guy today delivering why didn't he ring the bell? He said because it is a Ring he didn't want it to disturb me as they call phones. I got the thing because I can't hear the door out the back garden and want to know when somebody calls to the house.

The only reason I knew there was somebody at the door was because the dog went inside for water and heard the knocking.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Who calls into your house without texting in advance? It’s always the same, energy providers looking for you to switch, driveway cleaners, digital tv people and other door to door charlatans.

I got the Ring doorbell to cut the “interactions” with these time burglars. I certainly wouldn’t answer the door to anyone who choose to bang on the door instead of facing the camera.

I’m sure there are those, with very little going on in their lives, who live nothing more than getting a little “chat” in with that lot but I have better things to be doing.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

He said because it is a Ring he didn't want it to disturb me as they call phones.

Surely the whole point of a doorbell is to disturb you. That's its one function. 🤷

OP, get a doormat with a contact plate hidden underneath it. When someone steps on the mat, a very large bag of bells is dropped from your roof, into a skip full of airhorns. The skip should be on wheels, and angled in a way that when the bag of bells falls into it, it rolls into a giant gong. The gong should be affixed using a thin string, so the impact makes it roll down the road and into a container with a giant water balloon. The water balloon will burst, releasing its contents onto a large block of Sodium, which will explode violently on contact with the water. Set up a Ring camera on the block of Sodium, so that the motion alert generated by the explosion sends a notification to your phone. That way you won't be relying on people pressing the bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maybe they had bad experiences with doorbells!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Maybe they are hoping you won’t hear them knocking because they don’t really want to speak to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Why bother knocking at all then? It is also his job to deliver stuff so some pointless job if you drive to a place with a package then just don't deliver it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Same principle as having to call someone and hoping they won’t pick up. At least you can still claim you tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭zg3409

I find couriers do not like to press ring doorbells. They know they are slow, it can take time for your phone to react, you to get to phone, you to start video, identify person and start speaking. Then you might say, I'll be home in a minute, hang on, I'm in the shower, wait, or go to a specific neighbour 5 doors down and drop package.

Instead they just dump package on step, or try find a non ring doorbells to press, or bang on the door. They get paid as little as 1:50 per package and they have hundreds to deliver.

I have both a ring and a normal doorbell, and regularly postie presses door bell only. I also have overlapping CCTV and can often see delivery drivers walk in and 90% of the time they will make minimal attempt, and then immediately start walking back to the van whether anyone shows up or not.

After COVID they don't need signatures or can just fake them with no consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It must be your neighbourhood Ray. I got a Ring installed and absolutely everyone who calls to the door presses it. Not one person has knocked other than the postie who is here early in the morning and knows we are up and about.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I have a Ring and get a notification even if someone doesn't ring the doorbell through the motion detector. They might as well ring the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Prefer a distinct knock on the door. Only rap I can tolerate I do have a bell; disconnected for the alarm salesman. Like their devices I've never heard one of them sound off for good reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

They must have had a bad experience. You can get a bell now with a mini syringe in the middle that injects the presser with a sedative. A few delivery fellas must have gone missing down through the years and ended up being used as a packhorse and lighting the fire for some Mauritanian slavers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Kalimah

This drives me mad. Couriers, food delivery guys, Energia, Eir etc thump on the door or the window like it's a garda raid. Ring the blasted doorbell like a civilised human being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It annoys the hell out of me too. The standard reply when I ask why they didn't ring the doorbell (a Nest video doorbell) is "I didn't want to disturb you." ?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I find a lot of doorbells don't make any external noise, probably due to increased soundproofing, and I don't know whether the bloody thing is working or not.

Wish we had continental style buzzers with a loud motherfckin BUZZ so you for sure know it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I have taken the wires out of the bell, stops the dogs barking

Advertisement