Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭konline

FYI - I just spoke with Bord Gais on the number given in the letter, customer support guy is happy to give me 38% discount on the standard rate and sign me for a year contract. Changes were made to my account with in a couple of minutes over phone.

Worth a try if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I'd wager if anyone had the time to contest it legally they'd probably win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Thank you, I may have to do that. Still annoying, they are essentially blackmailing you into signing a years contract with them or pay 3 months at extortionate rates. Gangsters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

Im out of contract for electricity this week was on a 20% off electricity only plan with bord gais,

The customer retention team had been ringing me for 2 weeks on a dublin number i kept letting it ring out .

so today i rang it back to see what they had to offer was planing on going to electric ireland with 30% off

She offered me same deal as was currently on 20%

I said i see you have a deal of 39% off for new customers.

She said to me i supose if you dont ask you wont get and agreed to give me the 39% discount

Very happy with that i am paying less now than before the last increases came in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What company is that?

Sorry, just saw it there, bord gais, will give them a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I have just switched from Bord Gais to Electric Ireland (EI) 30% discount plan. Based on my usage figures EI will be €103 cheaper for the year, based on current prices, in comparison to the Bord Gais 39% discount plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Went with bord gais just to use my tesco clubcard vouchers as they are stopping them from 31st July ! Will convert them all and pay the bill..no other good use as cant goto zoo evry three months😂

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭breeno

Has anybody ever cancelled with a provider and opened a new account in their partners name with same provider at their new customer rate? Or do they have checks in place for that?

With BG which expires shortly and would be very interested in the 40/40 offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I have done with Virgin etc. Because of privacy, they can't say "oh you already have an account".

Same way if you enquired about you're partners account they'd claim privacy and tell you nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

They

They would be the same for sure but then if my wife uses her maiden name have the company any way of knowing that I haven't simply moved house etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

Tesco do 3 months free Disney+ too and Milano vouchers but need to rack up the points for both of these. They are the ones off top of my head that looked useful.

We got Disney+ in last billing period and think needed 900 points for this!!

Yeah last time with Bord Gais and no issue, my wife surname is different to mine on it though so maybe go that way.

Have been told by one of their door salesman that they are going to clamp down on this but not sure, will be trying in Aug if we decide to go with BG again.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I suppose if she tells them she's a new tenant in the house they wouldn't know any different. They're unlikely to go checking the property register

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Disney+ was a one off offer that's finished. Milano's, the Zoo and ferry travel are the only remaining deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I have cheap disney+ so dont need it and Milano value is meh for prices of the pizzas :P !

SSE Airtricity looking like the cheapest dual fual just now. Any thoughts on them?

Coming off the 31/40% deal with Bord Gais and they've offered me the same again to stay. Is there a handy way to compare that tariff to the Airtricity one? The comparison sites don't have that tariff available anymore to compare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭you2008

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is it really worth switching, given that you’re tied into a twelve month contract based on a snapshot of pricing? They can bump their prices a week after you sign up, and you’ve no option really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Of course it is, companies offer the best discounts to new customers. And if one puts up prices, the rest eventually follow. If you don't switch after contract has ended, provider-dependent, you're now on their standard expensive rate. It pays to switch every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah if one provider puts prices up they all will soon after. The only thing we can do is switch and make sure we are not on their standard rate which is the most expensive of all rates.

My own 12 month contract with Energia is up next month and Id like to stay with them as their website & app are user friendly. But Im 99% sure they wont allow me to keep the 41% discount off their standard rate so I'll be forced into switching. I wish they took the more pragmatic approach like Sky/Virgin do and just allow you to keep your rate if you say you are leaving. But the call centre staff at the power companies dont seem to have any room to maneuver to retain customers who say they are moving elsewhere. They dont seem to be allowed to let you stay on the discounted rate at the end of the 12 month contract so they cant do anything about customers moving to another company.

At least the switch itself can be done within under 5 minutes once you have your MPRN from your bill or meter

Anyone with SSE any comment on what their Rewards system like? One thing that caught my eye was do they give you monthly credit of €5 towards a movie every month.

Had door salesman here other day and made a good pitch, on bonkers.ie I think their dual fual is second to FloGas for our situation.

Currently with Bord Gais and really like their Rewards as have won a few comps with it and also NOW vouchers are very handy. They are not dealing with Tesco anymore which is a little annoying but still..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Cash back of 2% to a particular ptsb current account also along with 15% discount for Easons which I used recently on school books. Also some discount on W5 Belfast Dublin Zoo and something like €10 off hotel rooms. Rewards seem to be geared towards people with families for the most part. I think there some deal on coffee also and some for the SSE Arena Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

When my contract was up a few months ago with Energia I popped over to bonkers.ie, put in my usage etc. and they were still the best option for me. So I just "switched/renewed" with Energia thru' the Bonkers website.

Were you still getting the 41% discounted rate on Energia for the second contract? If so I'd likely go with that if its available on Bonkers or direct

Cant comment on SSE but just to say be careful with door to door salesmen, some of them will tell you anything to get your signature and sign up. Happened me a few years ago, the unit rate he quoted at the door was not was showed up on my bill a couple of months later. Got it sorted in the end but I had taken a specific note of the day and night unit rates he quoted and he basically bullshitted me to get the sale. Only for I took a note I would never have known for certain. Never again would I sign up using one, its not worth the potential chicanery when you can just go direct yourself very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Yes - the same 41% discount rate, think there was a 135 euro cashback as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I'd wager you that you would lose.

You signed up to terms and conditions. That you probably did not read them is not an arguable defence. The terms and conditions state what happens if they can no longer supply you.

btw- Iberdrola were implementing another price increase from June 1st (here are the electricity rates https://www.iberdrola.ie/standard-prices ) and had a choice of implement another whopper price increase from this month or call it quits. That could have been to over 60c! If you were an electricity customer the electric Ireland standard non discounted rate you were moved to was 30% LOWER than the standard Iberdrola rate on June 1st.

Their error was that they did not buy forward and therefore bought at spot rates which are off the scale at present. To break even, they would have had to charge over 55c per unit of day time electricity. (Some UK companies are charging 50p+)

It was the same with gas and spot gas prices are 4 times what they were last year

I think they did you a favour without you realising it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I'm currently with Bord Gais and out of contract. Asked about the 39% discount for new customers and said wouldn't offer it. Asked the guy could he check and he laughed and said he wouldn't be checking.

Called EI and got a super bored guy who said the rates were on the website and that's it.

Is it the heat or am I just **** at this?

Advertisement