Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

A friend of mine is buying a new build which should be ready soon, however his loan offer expired so they are issuing him a new one. He had locked in 2.2% at 5 years. He was told by his lender the new loan offer will be 2.5% for 4 years.

I am buying a new build myself but it won't be ready until the end of the year. I signed a loan offer for 1.9% over 4 years. I'll have to get the loan offer renewed around September, not looking forward to what the rates will be for me then on a new loan offer.

I had the chance to get a decent second hand house before I booked the new build but at the time we ran the numbers and with the low interest rates, HTB, energy efficient new build house it seemed to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

are we now heading for a constitutional crisis over housing, time to remove the president for telling the truth or is it lies ?! President criticises Irish housing as 'our great failure'

"It isn't a crisis anymore - it is a disaster," President Michael D Higgins said, adding that Ireland needs to meet "the basic needs of people in a republic: Food, shelter and education."

"Housing and the basic needs of society should never have been left to the market place," the President said.

"It is the mad speculative money that is destroying our country, which we are welcoming, which we shouldn't be," he added.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0614/1304804-president-housing/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

What banks fix the rates at offer time? My letter of offer from AIB just landed in the post and it seems interest rates are only set at drawdown so the rates could be gone up by then.

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No bank will lock in rates at contract time.

When you sign the mortgage contract there'll be a rate on specified on it, but there'll also be a condition that says the rate can change.

• Advertisement

"Central Statistics Office (CSO) filings, the average price paid by household purchasers of apartments in Dublin last year was €381,892. We know, however, that the main purchasers of the 4,000 apartments in the capital in 2021 were not households but institutional buyers. Estimates vary, but the Construction Industry Federation (CIF) says funds bought 95 per cent of the apartments built in the State in 2019.

As for the price they paid, the CSO’s house price data doesn’t specify. A recent report by property firm Hooke and MacDonald, however, lists the blocks bought by institutional investors during 2021, the prices paid, and the number of units in each block. From this it can be derived that these investors paid an average price of €448,031 for apartment units. This was 17 per cent higher than what households typically paid, mindful we’re talking about a range of different apartment types in a myriad of locations." Irish Times

so what hope do first time buyers here have, more importantly what protection is the government putting in place for young (and at this stage not so young) buyers/ tax payers/ voters .. compared to other countries there appear to be absolutely none ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Damn right he is and Im no fan of Higgins.

Its a disaster and a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Like awec said above - once you receive your written loan offer it will have the interest rate and other details on it in relation to the repayments. This is usually issued at contract signing stage. But as awec said there's a condition within the written loan offer that they can change the rates up until drawdown. So I suppose it's not locked in until you drawdown but banks wouldn't really change a loan offer in relation to rates, 0.3% increase could mean €100 extra a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hatch1989

We’ve a house for sale the past month with an auctioneer in a lovely estate just outside Galway city.

house is in great condition and ready to be loved in immediately.

there are 4/5 houses for sale around same area, however whilst all these house have had bids, our house has had 1 viewing in 5 weeks. One of these houses has gone for €75,000 above asking price in 3 weeks since it first went up.

When we met auctioneers before choosing our one, a few expected the house to sell in 4/5 weeks.

Auctioneer has asking price €10 €15k more than other. We are receiving half the viewings on daft than these other houses - we assume as a result of people filtering the price range. And our house is falling outside these brackets.

What should we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I find it so odd that the elected politicians don't favour the people that vote for them and instead look to their corporate and NGO lobbyists for guidance. The reaction to condemn Michael D Higgins' comments shows exactly that these FF and FG politicians do not think the housing crisis is a crisis or an emergency, which is exactly why they will continue to lose votes to other parties.

It is not hyperbolic to describe the housing crisis as socially devastating and generation defining, far more devastating for a whole generation than COVID (younger people) so should be treated as the emergency situation it is. Yet our politicians act like some tinkering is all that's needed

Then you have SF, the apparent God-awful opposition, making a very reasonable observation on the comments; "Sinn Féin TD Eoin Ó Broin said the President’s comments are “a statement of fact” and they were a “direct criticism” of the current and previous governments."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/president-michael-d-higgins-crossed-line-in-housing-policy-attack-say-furious-ministers-41754031.html

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

House price inflation cools for first time in over two years – The Irish Times

House price increases slowing down. Up 14% for the year, compared to 15% in March.

So it's not a lot, but still a slowdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

@DataDude shared some interesting graphs recently based on asking prices, rather than prices from the PPR (the latter always being at least a few months out of date in terms of when the price was agreed) - it would be interesting to see updated versions of the asking price graphs.

Having said that, I suspect that asking prices are probably not changing so much, but what is changing is that there are fewer 'way over asking price' bidding wars on houses, and some properties now sitting there for longer not achieving their asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Yes interesting to see the index levels. Dublin month on month has almost flatlined (143.6 to 143.7) so a negligible increase. Likely these were sales negotiated in the Jan to March period which closed in April.

National number increased from 177.4 to 177.8.

The quarterly update for new build and existing dwellings may have some interesting insights in a few months as up to now, existing dwellings have been an outsize impact on the overall index increases but I expect that the sale prices for new builds that have been agreed in the past few months will be transacted in Q3 and Q4 and will show a decent increase.

I have to agree. Not a fan of Michael D in general but agree fully with him on the housing issue and great to see him speaking out.

My perception of SF has changed dramatically in the las three years. Will probably give them my vote next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I'll be posting my vote for SF in from Zurich hopefully! We got a letter in the door last week from Simon Harris saying "sorry I missed you" as he was apparently doing door to door check ins. I have followed up with him by way of letter to let him know our situation and that we are emigrating because of the housing issue primarily. It's really important to send a message to FF and FG, that is the only way change will happen.

Meanwhile back in the ECB asylum, the lunatics are having an emergency meeting as markets aren't taking to their QT and interest rate rises very well. Humiliating and clueless behavior but deeply troubling and I strongly would question the viability of the euro project when it is clear that the EU stability is directly at stake from the runaway inflation the ECB is just outright refusing to address. Will see if anything comes out of this meeting but remember; higher rates means slower economy and more expensive mortgages which means lower property prices. So not doing this is to not cool the property market at least to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

Central Bank announced in their latest Financial Stability Review that they will be tightening Macroprudential policy, limiting how much banks can lend.

https://www.centralbank.ie/publication/financial-stability-review/financial-stability-review-2022-i

From p71:

Countercyclical capital buffer

The Central Bank is increasing the CCyB rate from 0 per cent to 0.5 per cent. This move reflects the evolution of the macro-financial environment with the policy stance shifting to build buffers against future shocks. Tail risks faced by the banking sector arising from the pandemic have continued to subside.

At the same time, emerging cyclical vulnerabilities are evident in some sectors. Hence, the rebuilding of buffers at this time is deemed in line with the Central Bank’s objective for the CCyB – promoting resilience in the banking sector, proportionate to the risk environment, with a view to facilitating a sustainable flow of credit to the economy through the cycle.

In line with the outcomes of its broader review of the macroprudential capital buffer framework, the Central Bank intends to build the CCyB rate to 1.5 per cent when risk conditions are neither elevated nor subdued. The current decision is a first step toward the gradual rebuilding of the CCyB which, conditional on macro-financial developments, would see a CCyB of 1.5 per cent announced by mid-2023.

The gap, or spread, between Italian and German borrowing costs had widened to 2.4 percentage points, double last year’s level and up from about 2 percentage points before last week’s ECB meeting when rate-setters signalled an end to ultra-loose monetary policy by announcing plans to stop buying more bonds and start raising interest rates.

Not looking good and euro has been tanking against the dollar. Surprised the Germans are not kicking up more of a fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

Asking prices continue to be flat. Anecdotally, I think you’re right in that the crazy bidding wars of 2021 are largely over (hence asking prices no longer pushing higher).

The monthly slowdown in CSO was fairly remarkable in April. From a fairly solid 0.8%+ every month to suddenly flat. As always this lags reality which has definitely turned further south lately.

I’d say its now fairly certainly that house prices will be lower in a years time. Expect the monthly will turn negative next month. Question is how much and how long it lasts - anybody's guess! I say this as someone who’s just bought a house.

Just goes to show the “supply is low, demand is high - prices go up” thing is a huge simplification of the many dynamics at play!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

A couple of months out but pretty close. Daft report a reliable indicator for prospective buyers.

I'm going to start tracking the progress of Developments around Dublin. Here's the first video on Springvale in Chapelizod.

Obviously crap at this but hopefully I'll improve over time!

All suggestions appreciated 💪

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

• Advertisement

Off topic slightly (sorry), but wow, this house is absolutely gorgeous... Will be interesting to see how quickly it goes. https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-3-brack-l-in-baileboro-road-kingscourt-co-cavan/3929458

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Now, see, I was very carefully avoiding saying that... 🤣

Germans have been urged to save energy after Russia's Gazprom announced significant cuts in natural gas supplies via a key pipeline.

Gazprom, which is state-owned, announced a 40% reduction in gas flows to Germany through the Nord Stream 1 pipeline on Tuesday.

its painful to see new first time buyers here make the same mistakes again of over paying for house prices in ireland as europe and the us slide gradually towards recession ..

It remains to be seen how much they will drop because there is a serious lack of supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I'm surprised Nord Stream 1 is still operating at all.

The FTBers in Ireland don't really have much of an alternative. The whole market environment has intentionally been rigged to cause unaffordable prices.

they dont have much of a choice but more and more anectodal talk of recession on the cards and would be buyers holding off for a year as a result

Sharp drop in clothes shopping in Dublin raises recession alarm

According to Grant Thornton chief economist Andrew Webb, analysis of the data emerging from Dublin illustrates that a recession is becoming increasingly likely

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/sharp-drop-in-clothes-shopping-in-dublin-raises-recession-alarm-41763605.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

A lot of people have already been holding off for years. Eventually there is a point where they have to get on with their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

You could have said the same thing in 2007 when the subprime crisis kicked off, it didn’t take too long to reach here.

Advertisement