Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kind of crap have you bought off the interwebs lately?

• 14-06-2022 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭

I'm done buying clothes off the internet.

And by clothes I mean anything that you'd typically try on for fit and size before confirming a purchase.

So many shirts and jeans etc have arrived and whilst their .jpg looked awesome it often doesn't transfer into reality, not to mention the sizes being way off.

I bought three awesome looking shirts from China and the size selector clearly emphasized "this is China size, if you're ordering from the west, use 2 sizes larger than the listing".

And when my shirts arrived I could have used them as kitchen aprons instead of shirts they were so damn big.

But smaller items I still buy compulsively.

For some reason it gives me a substantial sense of well-being being able to equip myself with things like polarized, UV-400 mirrored sunglasses for 7 euros (incl. postal fees).

Or a I just bought a pair of derma-rollers 0.3 to 1.5 mm. They're like miracles for rough areas of skin, fine lines, patchy beard etc.

I could go on all day.

This is one thing about living in the era of technology that I'm loving....... no doubt.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Wow.

Where's the love....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

A friend of mine is nicknamed the tackle tart, he buys loads of flashy lures, beads, files and jig heads from China for fishing.

He just can't help himself, when he opens his box it's like he's getting ready for Christmas.

He's always updating his trinkets and in fairness he always hands them out when we're not catching anything on the shop local lures. Ironically he's caught some big bass on the junk, and it's just his hobby. Put them into a glass of salt water and they'd be disolved the following morning.

The tackle tart.

Yeah I can feel that.

Personally I'm not a materialist but I definitely value small, non-costly items that improve quality of life or that one places value on (like my sunglasses, but I've only got about 4 pairs, rimmed, rimless and varied eyeglass shape).

And most importantly, has good practical application.

Like my glasses protect my eyes from damaging UV radiation, prevent squinting and resultant skin creasing and most importantly, make me look totally pimp.

I can't imagine fishing lures are costly, and they're more effective than conventional lures for catching?

Sounds dope.

Though in my case, if anyone was calling me the "sunglasses tart" I'd hand them their ass.

Bang bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭zg3409

Personally I can't remember what I bought recently, I'm sure it's cheap tat from china and I will be very excited to open the box in 2 or 3 months as I will have no idea what is inside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm holding myself back from buying a gadjet at the moment. It's only about €26 delivered on ebay, but my worry is I'll never actually use it. It could be handy, and if I do want to use one, I'll probably want it at short notice, but I may never actually need it. There's a worry too that if I don't buy it now, the technology will be gone obsolete and it wouldn't be available when I need it. On the other hand, if I buy it now, I may not be able to find it when I need it. Decisions, decisions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

T-shirts, aftershave, fans…

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Sunglasses, 1 x Oakley and 1 x Persol, the sun is never out here, I may as well of paid a fiver in the local Tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I just bought a 10 year old Mac Mini. Why? I don't really know myself. It was super cheap (in comparison to their going rate) and well I should really learn to use the operating system as I'm clueless.

What is it?

I indulged in that a little after I had familiarized myself with the do's and do-not's on e-buying.

Invested in an air purifier and dehumidifier after I began to think of my place of residence more like a personalized place of work (laboratory, in my own mad-scientist mind).

Two of the best purchases I've made in forever; air purifier has totally removed accumulation of dust in my living space.

Dehumidifier = clothes dry super quick and zero mold accumulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭thomil

Foldable Bluetooth keyboard for my new iPad. It's actually surprisingly good, I've written quite a few blog posts with it already.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Fishing lures are costly when the local tackle tart dealership sends you to a place full of snags. You'll always come back for more.

I like a good pair of sunglasses. You're practical so by the sounds of it there's no files on you. Some people have sunglasses for year's and other's update them nearly twice a year.

Damn that sounds dope.

I have to travel typically two or three days a week on public transport (train normally, sometimes bus) and it can be a pain lugging my laptop around.

I never invested in a tablet cause typing is impossible on them (what I spend most of my time doing versus browsing/clicking).

I checked them on amazon

Can actually use them with your phone as well.

Could make travelling a whole lot easier for me, especially cause I often have to stay overnight in hostels or stash my gear bag in gyms and I'm always terrified my laptop is getting pinched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Blue light glasses, my eyes don't hurt when in front of screens but they sounded so good I thought I'd buy them, strangely enough my eyes hurt when wearing them so they are now redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Not the internet but I bought a plastic water bottle in Lidl and it sucks! It's one of those where you have to suck the water out so if you're exercising you then need to suck the water out rather than just squeeze it. I'll have to throw it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭thomil

The keyboard I got is specifically designed to be used on tables or hard surfaces, so I'm not sure how much use it would be on a bus, but this is the model I went for:

For a 35€ Amazon special, it's actually pretty damn good. I use it in conjunction with an iPad mini 6 that I got as a new year's gift from my employer. Also, the keyboard doesn't have a stand for a phone or tablet, so you'd need a case that also doubles as a stand for your device. I'm using Apple's own Smart Folio for the iPad, so that's not really an issue for me. If you want to get my impressions of the device, I've actually written up a review on my blog, using the keyboard.

Mods, feel free to remove the latter link if you think it's inappropriate.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Legit polarized (I checked them with a polarity validator), UV protection, better looking than anything I could find on the high street.

4 euro.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

clothes from m&s brilliant returns policy.

2 pairs of cycling sunglasses which popped on an sale advert for about 50 euro photo chromic and polarized from siroko.com in spain and they are fantastic.

loads of cycling bits too numerous to mention as I was rebuilding a mountain bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A 1911 barber dime.

• Advertisement

For sculpting that Rico Suave looking appearance,

I already have a conventional straight razor, what is it?

I just can't help myself.

I'm browsing, I see, I add to basket, then my hands develop a mind of their own and before I know it I've debited my visa card.

😫

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

I got to bump this.

Again absolutely not a materialist here but hearing anecdotes like the fishing tackle dude above makes my freakin' day, lol.

It shows a level of interest in something that lends itself to increased "flow state" level proficiency (if I understand the recount correctly).

I can't get enough of that shit.

I definitely don't accumulate junk, meaning things I buy but don't use. I use everything ad-nauseam and if it's over and above in terms of price-to-purpose ratio, I simply will not buy it.

Those seemingly little things that make a big difference in your life?

I think smart investment saves potentially unnecessary large investment.

Like the Lynch-Pins above.

Presuming they're not being used to arm grenades, there's got to be a good story there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Only recently did I go in lock; stock for new socks n jocks. I’d say bulk but these things are size small, still I think I’m secured in case of a fallout ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I have about 4 of those, different brands, designs, colours, shapes, sizes, all of them shîte… ALL recommended online as great for the gym… the simple task of getting some water, quickly, efficiently and cleanly is impossible….

evian in Dunnes is 12 x 330ml for 5.99… so that does me.

Advertisement