Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Just curious, does anyone know how much these groups are getting in funding? Stirring division seems to be a thriving NGO industry in this country that pays extremely well. Honestly, I couldn't give a flying **** about anyone else's sexuality, but it's high time the Trans issue stopped being a sacred cow that can't be challenged. As a 'person with a cervix' I don't expect to be called to have a prostate exam, whereas a 'person with a prostate' must be accepted as female if they feel that they are female.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Why is it that anyone who seems to have a trans kid, the parents always look a certain type.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

RTE had no choice.

What did “make amends” actually mean? Financial donation? Favourable coverage? Editorial influence/approval?

Could have been more like a shakedown than a request for apology. Dublin Pride have made a huge miscalculation here.

RTE aired views that many people in this country hold on both sides of the argument. Censoring one side should never be seen as a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

this community operates in a bubble with everybody in that bubble agreeing with them

when the general public are allowed to discuss what they think of the situation they don't like what they hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I think that you know exactly what that poster meant and you're being deliberately obtuse. The fact is that a male who is born in a male body, with male chromosomes and without a vagina is a man and not a woman. A female with female chromosomes born in a female body who is unable to conceive or give birth is a woman. It's about basic biology. Of course there are some biological anomalies but there are very few of those and it's probably about as common as a calf being born with 2 heads. In the modern world we call that a genetic abnormality/mutation, in less enlightened parts of the world that calf would be worshiped as a divine being or killed for being demonic, depending on which religious persuasion the people are.

Biology is biology and feelings are feelings. I'm not convinced on trans issues but I am fine with accepting people who believe that they are a different gender to the one they were born as. Simply because it does no harm and it's not a big deal to me. What does bug the **** out of me is that normal things related to femininity and maternity are being relabeled to not cause offence to men who believe that they are women.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm curious, though: while I disagree with the pride stance on the basis that RTE are obliged to (and should!) promote different viewpoints (and not nessecailry those of the station or the vox populi); - would racists receive the same support as transphobes if they were to voice the same prejudices?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The message here is that debate is not allowed. They don't want anybody to question why the word woman is being removed from every day life. You are expected to suck it up and accept that your language is out-dated and needs to be changed to accommodate a tiny minority of society.

But they just want to be left alone to live their lives. So do the rest of us yet its society at large that's being forced to adapt to their ways. The fight for acceptance and equality was won a long time ago. . Now they fight for their needs and wants to supersede yours.

The problem is that most of them DO want to be left to live their lives without having to constantly deal with scaremongers and correct false claims that they're trying to remove words like "woman" from every day life.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

Same thing happened with Feminism, they have turned into superiority movements

• Advertisement

What do you mean? Are you saying the word woman isn't being replaced with person and people? For example- birthing people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭rogber

Exactly. You don't see too many FtoM trans people threatening to kill, rape and ruin anyone who questions their dogma.

My point isn't anti men. It's saying that some (not all!) of these trans "women" share an awful lot of characteristics associated with "toxic masculinity", which under the circumstances is pretty ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

This is yet another symptom of modern day discourse within the echo chambers of social media. Groups sectioned off from wider society establishing a given ideology with little critical evaluation.. Group think on steroids...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

You’re conflating racism with transphobia, when the parameters of so-called “transphobia” are much more hotly contested than those around racism. I don’t think it’s a like-for-like comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

Apparently transphobia now means talking about anything that certain groups don’t want to be discussed. Shaming someone by calling them “phobic” is a nasty way of trying to silence people voicing reasonable concerns and asking reasonable questions.

That's a false equivalence.

Saying that a biological man isn't a woman, is the same as saying that Rachel Doziel isn't black.

Would you have an issue with anyone claiming that Rachel Doziel isn't black?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭kirving

Well TENI in particular have had funding cut off by the HSE, and their website remains absent of published accounts. I can't find them at least. Searching online I read some diversionary excuses as to why they're not available.

I timed myself, and it took me under 15 seconds of searching LGBT Ireland, Concern, Trocaire, Focus and Pieta House websites to find the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It's far beyond the tolerance they were always afforded here, anyway. These groups don't stop claiming injustice; demanding rights just like every new regeneration of teen there'll always be some imaginary boundary to push. No matter how much leeway granted prior, It's like that little chihuahua you give him enough yapping space he begins to think he's the head honcho -

really push it and all the while serious issue are being superceded by inane rubbish theres those a pathetic who claim theyre not affected. Claim they're not bothered hey man, I dont mind what anything identifies as. I don't care; as they welcome more of it curiously enough well I've got news for you, sugar with whats coming out of your pocket to fund all of this insanity you're being made care...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It’s crazy. Fair play to RTÉ for not backing down

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Surprised there's no protest outside RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

given the views of some posters here they most probably would.

I'm saying that that's a small and somewhat egotistical minority that gets reflected as the majority. Most trans people are happy wit the term ciswoman (oddly, it's cis people themselves that get upset with the term "cis")

I never said anything about a biological woman....? I'm talking about different prejudices, but the strength of the prejudice - not the biological origin of it.

See post above: I'm putting forward the idea that a similarly voiced prejudice with the same sregth wouldn't be tolerarted as well by the listeners. Would it?

Not all. There's the one you're likely thinking of. There's plenty who just look bloody tired as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think most transgender people are fine with that, so long as they're treated with basic respect. Most of the argument seems to come from a lack of clear lines and definitions for things and that's taken advantage of by a small minority who live on Twitter. You could spend infinitely more time just arguing the parameters than the actual thing itself. What is a woman? What is a male? Because that could be a bottomless philosophical rabbit hole, you will get pushback to the tune of "A man has male genitals and woman has female ones. End of." and the sparks fly (mostly on Twitter, to be fair).

I think this is one of those arguments that has made some people go literally insane,

....so probably best not to get too invested.

Cis people? Who gives trans people the authority to redefine society at large? Its a narcissistic mindset

Forcing this dopey cis- language on men and women is part of the problem.

I don't mind if anyone wants to call themselves cis or trans, but I really hate this idea that - as Panti Bliss said in her Twitter post - any man or woman who rejects the term cis is by default a transphobe.

Cis is the latin opposite to trans. It's effectively been around for centuries, just never really used.

Asking this is like saying gay people don't have the right to redefine society at large by using the word hetero.

No, I don't need a qualification to my biological sex.

I'm not a subset of men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

What percentage of women (you know the real ones) do not have a womb or uterus (and I don't mean women who have had them removed) ?

And yes we know some women cannot procreate, would you mind telling something we don't know. 🙄

They do not want to appear like a woman on the outside because they are and always have been a woman both inside and outside.

Ehh seriously WTF.

Are you now claiming that a guy with a cock and balls is like a woman on the outside?

I just love how you guys just completely throw biology and anatomy out the window to suit your narrative.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement