Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

Could u ask movers what dates they have available and tell your solicitor that has to be the closing date no ifs and buts about it. That's what my parents had to do as buyer wanted a week later but they insisted it being the date the movers were available

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Waiting on BOI to give the yes/no on an exception for a month now,was told it would take 2 or 3 days haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

They are really annoying to deal with. You have to go sale agreed before you can even ask them for the exemption and then they leave you hanging. I lost a house last year after the vendor got tired of waiting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yup same as me, sale agreed over a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 misterreginald96

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience in buying a house where the title is a registry of deeds? I can't find much information on line. Solicitor says it will take longer to investigate, but is this something to be worried about?

Thanks all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Decided to sell up my mortgage free apartment and rent for a little bit. I'm willing to sit on the cash for a few years and hope prices come down but if i see houses I like in the meantime I'll apply for small mortgage and potentially buy.

I actually have the title deeds to my place here, this will speed things up a bit faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Typically how low should you bid under the asking price? I’ve heard anything between 5-15% ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭TheGunns

My experience of late is struggling to get a reply offering under asking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭TheRona

It depends on what you think it is worth/what it will go for, and whether you think low-balling might offend the vendor. I offered €20k over asking when first placing an offer on the house we eventually went Sale Agreed on. I was involved in a few bidding wars where people were going up in €1k increments at €70k below what it eventually went for. Painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

yeah, most houses i've looked at (in Dublin) end up selling 10-20% over asking. The sellers know this, which means many are refusing to engage with bids below asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

If it were me I would leave the underbidding to someone else unless there is or has been no interest in the house you are planning to bid on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Expateire

No such thing as under bidding at the moment or even over the last 18 months as far as I can tell, at least from my own personal experience down here in the Sunny SE.

Even if there is under bidding going on, I've been tracking the sold prices on property price register and a large proportion (majority) of properties go for well over asking in the end anyhow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

We underbid on a few houses 18 months ago and it was an absolutely pointless endeavour I must say. Doesn’t seem worth it initially in current market unless the place has been for sale a while with no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Yeah to be honest if it's a house you can move into in a decent location you need to be the first person in to view and go like 10k over asking with the first bid these days in the hopes it will kill off other bidders early days or at least reduce the field of competition.

You might get away with an under asking bid for something needing alot work or out in the sticks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Just my own opinion of course but I would say time to go in hard to scare off bidders is passing.

Average rate in US now approaching 6%. I think supply dynamic here means we won't see a sharp drop but I can definitely see prices stagnating around these levels.

If you are in the process now, I would confirm with your mortgage in principle up to what date they will honour the rate quoted. This time 6 months avg rates will be 1% higher (already priced in re financial markets)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 EvoEvo

Hi Guys, quick question about the mortgage protection,

What about the question " Is this policy written in Trust?"

I see a lot of mixed opinions on this..I`m buying a second hand apartment (just me), in my name...So should I say no ? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just came here to update the thread, as I've been saying for what feels like forever "when we get our house", for some hope to those that are still in the process.

We got hit with every delay in the book. It was over one year since our approval letter to move in date. We're finally in our new house... which we underbid on and was accepted at 10k below asking. Finally moved in a couple of weeks ago and the relief is palpable

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭pleh

Congrats, it must be a great relief, best of luck in your new home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Congratulations, delighted for you. Best of luck in your new home.We have made the mistake of buying a probate property. The waiting is horrible. Feels like nothing happening for an eternity.

Had great plans for renovating our new home over the summer. More likely to be doing it over the winter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Based on this you would say No.

Who shouldn’t write life insurance in trust?

While it’s thought that most people don’t write a policy in trust because they don’t know about, it or believe it’ll be too much hassle, there are cases where the option wouldn’t be suitable.

• Holders of joint life insurance policies
    • Holders of life insurance that needs to be assigned against a loan
    • Holders of policies which include Serious Illness benefits

https://onequote.ie/writing-life-insurance-in-trust/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Managed to get our mortgage drawn down on the very last day! The letter of offer expired last Tuesday and the bank initially wanted us to reapply but the solicitor got it over the line that day. The house isn’t fully ready yet but has been snagged and the snag report is with the builder. It means we’ll need to make mortgage payments as well as rent for a short while, but we can manage that for now. Hopefully we should have the issues resolved in the next few weeks.

The worst issue found was in the front parking spaces - they filled up during heavy rains due to no drainage. I’d say that might be an awkward one to resolve as it would probably need the space to be dug up again to install drainage.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

At sale agreed stage ourselves. Our mortgage protection has gone to underwriting with Irish life - can anyone give an indication of how long this might take? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Sorry for not updating, house sale went through without a hitch. Only annoying thing was they wanted a complete removal of everything without much time.

but now on holidays before a move to Bermuda. Hope all is well with everyone’s buy/sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

For me it was about three days. They added a loading for my wife due to a potential health issue but other than that it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

Looking for some advice. I went sale agreed on a lovely house in late April. A few weeks prior to that, I’d changed jobs and of course I had a probation period. Prior to taking the job, I’d spoken to the mortgage broker who told me it would be ok as long as the move made sense, i.e. same industry, similar position etc. I mainly took the job as my salary increased by 20K per annum and I don't believe that good of an opportunity was likely to crop up again anytime soon. 

Due to the job change, the broker told me the bank (BOI) were reviewing the file and would likely issue a new AIP. That only came through on June 6 (requested it end of April). Since then, no word. Is this normal? My solicitor has been on to me that the seller’s solicitor is putting pressure on them to move things along and could I send them the loan offer by email. But I don’t have the loan offer… what should I do here? As far as I understood, the valuation has to be done and then the loan offer issued, I don’t know if I can speed this up? I’ve tried to contact my broker since Friday and no word from them. Bidding on houses was super stressful and I thought the worst was behind me but now it seems even worse as I can't get any timelines from the broker/bank and the estate agent + solicitor is messaging me every few days for updates I don't have. Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Mortgage protection sorted and loan offer issued today - hopefully on the final stretch...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Man with a plan

I am currently purchasing and sale agreed and have everything in place ready to go. However I got the house valued nearly 4 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for the bank to send out the mortgage pack to Solicitor. I was was told by the broker this normally only takes a week or so and broker has been "chasing" them but still waiting.

Is this normal ? or does anyone know if there is currently a delay with the banks ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

When my bank was getting slow with things like valuation and loan offer, I literally called them twice a day for a week until it got sorted. I found it helped put on a bit of pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

Sorry to hear about the stress and well done on getting a higher paid job! There is no reason for the bank not to issue a Loan Offer. In fact your position is now improved so getting a loan offer should be easier. Put a pressure to your broker. Most of them have networks inside the Bank which they can lean on to speed things up. Your probation will only affect your drawdown. But hopefully your are out of probation when you’re closing the sale. Even if you are not they can make an exemption if your job change is on same industry and line of work. This happened to us. My husband changed work but it was ignored by the Bank as it was same industry but with promotion and higher pay.

Advertisement