Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

TENI have had their set of problems - two CEO's (I think in a year) and no accounts - thus the funding being dropped, which Segways me nicely to... the Pride statement. Look, they took a stance and it's their call. I'd love to know the discussions and the 'bargaining' that happened over the last few days with RTE.

The statement was aggressive/defensive in its tone and seemed to miss that many 'topics' are debated over the media and not everyone will agree with them. Over the years I've listened to some particularly offensive (from my stand) on the Palestine/Israel debate - I never took up arms on either side! But, what really resonated with me was the line "how they will make amends for this situation" - seriously, it spoke volumes - aka - "we didn't like the debate and want to be compensated on some way for being offended by it/some public opinion"

If you want to be compensated for being offended in some way, come to the Hill with me Sunday week and go home a millionaire!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I'm aware of what cis means. You act as if people now have to accept that they are called cismen / ciswomen. As opposed to just man /woman. Sine when did trans people decide what people should be called.. They didn't. Thats why its a heated debate and such debates getting shut down only heightens animosity towards the community, a lot of which are actually straight people people.

Gay people refer to hetero people as straight. That analogy didn't really work.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

so it's ok for transphobes on to air there hate speech should we let nazis on liveline to tell us whats wrong with black people?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,857 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This smacks of throwing their toys out of the pram. A lot of the discussion on Liveline for the last few days was very nuanced and trying to examine the issues from all angles. Getting into a huge huff with RTE is not a good look at all - the broadcaster was actually trying to throw light onto the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Falken1

Can I ask why, why is it so important that the maternity legislation stays as women? Men can have maternity leave too yes?? What's wrong with person?

Also, I'm part of the LGBT community. We don't all think/say/feel the same about issues that affect us within our community. In fact there are extremely different viewpoints, especially about trans issues in the past few years. We aren't as cohesive as you may think we are.

A lot of our community don't speak for me and my friends so just think about that before you label us all the same.

• Advertisement

Panti Bliss has waded into the Dublin Pride-RTE debacle.

Misleading as always; spewing more hyperbolic nonsense about the most extreme in society and the world and, by extension, tarring normal, decent people in the population who simply want to have a sensible debate on this subject.

Absolutely shameful comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

You see that is a good point, that most of wider society would not have heard.. Methinks there's a value in publicly talking about these things...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,824 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, MtF trans people are far more targeted in these conversations/discussions. It's always about 'a man in a dress'. TV shows, it's always been a big hairy bearded guy with lipstick. It's always about protecting women from attacks by transwomen, changing definitions of woman to be including of trans people. The argument about trans people using toilets always centres on trans women using the Ladies, not trans men using the Gents.

Because of the effects of the hormones, its easier for a trans man to grow facial hair and largely go undetected. It's harder for a lot of trans women to pass, and then make them more likely to face harassment.

It doesn't even make sense in a lot of cases. People say trans women shouldn't use the Ladies because they should use the bathroom based on their birth gender, in order to protect women. However by the same argument, trans men should have to use the Ladies, which means people with facial hair, mens clothes etc should be going into the Ladies.

The conversation and discussion is always directed at trans women. It makes sense that trans women are some of the loudest voices trying to fight back against that, because ultimately it's their lives and rights being targeted/discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The American centric nature of these types is the most worrying thing. Like how in the world do the Proud Boys have anything to do with this? We saw the same on the other thread the last day too, where Trump supporters were somehow injected into the topic. Society as a whole would be better of if all these types moved to America, as it's clearly so entrenched in their minds, that they might as well live there.

Also, the whole "if you agree with a bad group on anything you're a bad person" stuff, is seriously infuriating. Yet it's a very convenient tool, as it allows them to throw any and all dissent into a radical box. "You have a problem with gender ideology? Well, you're just like the Nazis".

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah but having a crank on representing one side of a debate is not a fair and frank discussion.

Ever see any fair debates about immigration into Ireland?

We used to get the likes of I think Ian O'Doherty on a bit representing conservative viewpoints, but he got dumped because it might be better to have likes of fruitloops like Gemma O'Doherty or John Waters on.

That is basically pulling the p*ss.

RTE have long habit of having just someone from one viewpoint, their accepted viewpoint.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

And...just like that she has caused more harm to her cause than she realises. She is spewing so much hate and feeding the people who genuinely do hate anyone who isn't 100% straight. She's making it a war, and it's a war she can't win.

It's a scary world when people embrace such absolutes so completely... and find no irony in the positions they declare.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭farmerval

Are there many Women transitioning to being men? or more men wanting to transition to being women?

This a whole new section in society, right at a time when identity was never as prominent, modern society seems to have a deep need to label everything and everyone.

On the issue that most debate is about Men transitioning to women is because societal norms expect that most violence, sexual and otherwise that is visited onto women comes from men.

The incessant screaming from the trans community that inhabit our airwaves seems to be you must listen to us, what we want is the only thing that matters.

This is a big issue and needs careful consideration. It is a whole new area of society and answers need to consider everyone in society.

Cis is a prefix that is superfluous and people can rightly object to it without being labelled a transphobe

The lack of self-awareness is astonishing.

Rather than engaging with and listening to the other side of the argument, Bliss has conflated people's genuine and legitimate concerns with fascists, authoritarians, and extreme religious preachers.

Bliss has basically said that there is no such thing as a debate on this subject. Because if the other side are just fascists, clerical extremists, and Putin-esque authoritarians, who would want to engage with people as awful as that?

Counterproductive, damaging to the debate, and damaging to the cause of trans rights.

What a spectacular own goal.

And the irony of Bliss using the word "extreme" is laughable.

Let's not forget that many trans people are critical of the trans movement. So presumably Bliss has thrown them under the same bus, too?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He. He's not Trans DL, he's literally a man in drag, a largely adult pantomime dame character on stage and screen and apparently now having a wobbly on twitter because not enough people are bending their knee in his church.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

She's a prime example of all that's bad about the twitter cesspit. It's too easy for people to get irrationally angry and fire off this stuff without thinking. Once it's tweeted it's out there and it just makes things worse. The message that should be going out is about tolerance and people engaging in mutually respectful debate. She really needs to take a step back take a deep breath and try to cool things down, not stoke the fire. We all know how it feels to get into a slanging match when your hacked off, you say things you can't take back and you easily shoot yourself in the foot, but it's worse when you realise that you managed to screw yourself over in the rush to win the row.

Thanks. I've no idea who any of these people are. I know the face but not much more. Whatever happened to people just being people and just getting on with their lives? I don't care who does what with who or what people's anatomy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Falken1

As a gay man I'm constantly having to "debate" how I live my life. And I don't exaggerate that either. Every single day....

People in the community that are much older than me have had to debate about their gender/sexuality for 60/70 plus years. That's a long ass time to "debate" about one's life.

They don't want to debate anymore. They're sick of debating. They just want to live their lives. I don't totally understand trans people. I never will because I'll never have to go through it as a gay man. I don't always agree with with them either or with other issues in my community.

But I do agree that we've been debating about it for a long long long time.

But I also understand that debating these issues is necessary as people don't understand these issues because they themselves don't live through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

RTE News really trying to churn out the pro LGBT propaganda now to save face. The news at 1pm dedicated a whole 5 min segment at the end to an LGBT football team. Lots more to come I'm sure....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

How could there be? It is, after all rather conveniently about men lopping their cocks off. Or more subtly whittling them down; over time reducing them to nothing but then incidentally the women most at the forefront of this could easily pass more as the opposite sex than any of these lads could ever lay claim to so I suppose in a way is very much about them too, yes..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,483 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

But 'straight' doesn't imply normal, that's the point. Straight means attracted to the opposite, which would encompass the majority, but not everyone.

Man/woman doesn't necessarily mean "identites with birth gender".

Beyond that, yeah - why object to cis and not straight OR hetero?

What accurate word would you prefer to someone who is not trans?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,483 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

See post above (although I see you point about being labeled transphobe)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

We don't need a word.

Some people are bald. We don't have a word for people who are non-bald. They're simply not bald.

Not everything needs a label.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

There was nothing comparable to racism on the show so no

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Which one is the one you think I'm thinking of?

I've now come across multiple on twitter over the years. One is fairly prominent on twitter in the past couple years. But I also saw another in the rte article this morning but seems they've removed the photo of the 3 activists they had in the original article.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

You really really need to go learn what racism is before you open your mouth again, there's a big difference between perfectly sensible people questioning why we should rip apart all societal norms for an absolute minority compared to actively hating people for the colour of their skin.

It's not unexpected to see this comment though, all you guys have in the end are the bully boy tactics of throwing labels and slurs around when you get any bit of pushback or request for a debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The Irish Council of Civil Liberties statement coming out against the show, a body I usually have high regard for, is deeply dissapointing.

I'm not even taking a stance on the main thread of the debate, but the ICCL press release is really antithetical to what the organisation should be about.

Straight does imply normal, if you agree that normal means typical.

The vast majority of people are straight.

Being anything but straight is not typical. Doesn't make the people abnormal, but their sexual orientation is (and not in a pejorative sense).

But that is sexuality. Trans is not a sexuality.

Man/Woman is a description of an adult male or female.

The prefix trans is required because those people do not fit into the definition of man or woman because that is not the biological reality.

To add the prefix cis to people who do fit into the definition is superfluous as the terms man and women already fit into the definition.

People who do not identify as trans, are men and women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I doubt Ian would appreciate you calling him conservative.

I also doubt RTE had John or Gemma, particularly Gemma on to debate anything recently. For quite obvious reasons.

Advertisement