Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think a lot of people would be happy for Ireland to qualify just so they can go to the finals with the lads and maybe film themselves something whacky and lovable which goes viral and endears the Irish to the world, like serenade an old woman, deliver shopping to a disabled person's home, play Galway Girl on some instruments made out of scrap iron and wood, sing The Fields of Athenry while getting absolutely hammered, or such and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Id actually argue that life is 100% about timing. Call it good/bad luck if you want. But it boils down to timing. To try and brush of certain choices or results due to timing is to essentially say if life hadn't happened Kenny would have lost. Its rediculous really.

Things happened, Kenny made decisions and here we are. You certainly wouldn't be giving him a pass if hed had some "bad" luck so it's disingenuous of you to be giving him stick over what you perceive to be "good" luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Masch8933

You obviously have not been following Obafmei`s career have you?

You can or cannot say Bazuna would have made a save

Oshea is knocking on the door after a bad injury, he will force Duffy out of the team within the next year

If everyone is fit it is clear Ogbene will not be a starter, he plays wing back for his club and Doherty is the main in that position and he is definitely not a front 2 striker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

These the two things are mutually beneficially, if a good you set up is in place and a system and the way teams play is consistent from under 14 to senior level it will benefit the senior team in the long run and the senior manager has to facilitate that.

The strength of Irish football (rightly or wrongly) was always judged on how many players we had at the top English clubs and how the international team are doing. The former speaks for itself and it has a knock on effect to the international team. It was great scraping through to finals with Trapp and ONeill but it only papered over the cracks that were under the surface but the every day Ireland fan didnt care, all they want is a big day out and thats fair enough but consistent big days out would be even better. He may take a lot of criticism from some but Kenny is doing the right thing for the long term and it probably will cost him his job and some point but in 10 years time Ireland will be in a much better place if the FAI match what is being done. They really need to up their game big time, i recently read that Irish kids that are going over to English premiership clubs are 2 years behind in the S&C development than their English counterparts, it is things like this and proper structures and coaching which the FAI need to concentrate on which will move Ireland forward. Gone are the days we pay for a big high profile manager to scrap out a result at the expense of everything else. The team has started to change now the FAI needs to too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

You've been brainwashed by the Kenny cult if you think Ireland always embarrassed themselves when they qualified for tournaments. Fairly deluded section on here have constantly proposed that Ireland have been so bad at International football up to this point that we need Stephen Kenny to show us how to play, I can sort of understand where people are coming from if they are aged about 12-14 years old, given that they haven't seen much the past 5 or 6 years, but this constant narrative on here that Ireland only ever played hoofball, seldom qualified for tournaments, and when they did they embarrassed themselves, is becoming a bit weird given that it is not even near factually correct.

So he should have started with the U14s grouping and brought them through, with all U14s behind him playing the same style and maybe, THEN, go in as Senior manager with a stream of Kennyballers coming behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

6 major tournaments in our history is the very definition of seldom.

2 tournaments since 2002 is even more stark.

I'm in my 30s and can only remember us playing a decent brand of football in 2002. Even though it was ultimately hoofball that earned us the the crucial draw against Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not to mention our incredible win record of 4 wins in 6 international tournaments, how we didn't bring home those trophies is beyond me......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Sport's funny like that. You can be perpetual #1 without ever winning a thing

• Advertisement

If that is what you took from my post then there is no point discussing this with you! Kenny is cog in the wheel, as well as the FAI, as well as every coach employed by the FAI etc etc

Your posts are over dramatic and Ireland most succesful ever international period came from playing "hoofball". It was very succesful but if you look an Italia 90 match, the matches were awful

Football has moved on alot since then but Ireland up until recently have persisted with this form of football, look at the Premier League in England not one team playing this style can survive in the league, so why should Ireland persist with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Lads have we learned nothing , Kenny & his team do alright when there's no pressure on, but once it cone down to the games that matter & qualifying campaigns , We fail

None of the big time payers want to be still playing football right now and its show in the results across these nations league games,

There just glorified friendlies that most players don't want to be playing in ,

Give Kenny the Euro qualifying camping and when he makes a pigs ear of it let him go ,

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

There was enormous pressure on them for these last 2 games. Kenny job would have been untenable if we had lost both I think. Also, our best chance of qualifying for the Euros is through this nations league

Depends who's available at the time,

Don't even try to go down the road who could we get better than Kenny because that list is endless ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Even within our financial constraints you think ? The FAI are broke so the new manager would have to work for a lot lot less than your average PL manager gets. There no Trap money anymore.

You do realise there is an in-between "hoofball" & what Kenny try's to do wit ha side no capable of ding it,

Like even at the very top of the football tree Liverpool's don't try to play like City because there not capable, Madrid didn't try to play like Liverpool because there not capable,

Spurs beat City twice in the league by not attempting to play football remotely like City ,

People are not asking us to play " Hoofball" just to be more pragmatic & stop trying to be something we are not capable of being , You can without question become more direct in certain parts & moments of the game,

Except the senior manager is not. I don’t know how many times it needs to be explained by myself and others.

It’s not his job to develop, create pathways, or whatever other nonsense you want to call it. His SOLE job is win matches and qualify for tournaments. That’s it. That’s the job.

The longer we go without qualifying for a tournament, the longer we have peanuts.

• Advertisement

Yes even with that,

Kennys on just over half a million a year, That's decent wage for an international manger,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭athlone99

You slate Kenny, get asked to name just 1 person to replace him and cant......

You do realise that the football Ireland played in the last 10 games is vastly different to his first nations league campaign? We have been more direct, playing it out from the back less. If you cant even acknowledge that fact you shouldnt comment the way you do. Maybe a professional manager knows more than you and the players actually are capable of doing it? Irish players have been told since 2008 they are too Sh** to play football, that gets into players heads.

So because the results finished positively they are now meaningless friendlies? And people complain pro Kenny people put spin on things.....We and nobody in group 2 are big time footballers and it looked fairly important to the Ukrainian players over the last 2 weeks.

As someone else stated there was massive pressure on the last two games because people like you said if he lost he should be sacked. Again he wins and draws one, finishes on a positive note and now its "theres no pressure".. Talk about utter waffle

I've asked that in the football forum and all you tend to get is Houghton, Big Sam etc.... They dont like giving serious answers its just anybody but Kenny...

Serious question. With where our players are right now if the Irish Senior manager doesnt try and develop players, where does that development come from? Wales have done just that and has worked out fairly well for them all be it with having 1 or 2 world class players.

As i said it'll depend on who's available when he is let go ,

Currently there's plenty of superior manger to Kenny out of work but it depends what route u go down ,Just of the top of my head mangers currently out of work ,

Houghton , Rowett, Big Sam, Van Bronckhorst ,Wolf, ,Rafa, Dyche , Villas-Boas, Valverde ,Diego Martinez, Farke , Espirito Santos, Fonesca,

Yes i know a lot aren't realistic targets but there is endless amount of available managers better than Kenny & that was the question

Who knows who will be available when he is sacked,

Ok here another way to put it what qualifies Kenny to have the JOB,?

What has he done since getting the job that points to him keeping it ?

Now remember I'm all for giving him the Euro qualifiers let him see it out his "plan" but when it fails miserable he will be moved on,

And for the record i hope to god we qualify , iv nothing against the fella just that i think he isn't good enough ,

Without sounding smart What is it exactly have the Wales senor management done ? I'm not being smart but what have they done to develop there players ?

What steps would you like to see Ireland take, Players head off to England at 16/17 and spent 90% of there football season with there Clubs , how can Ireland senor set up effect there delvepoment more than there clubs do ?

I remember Belgium being asked what did they do to develop there Golden generation & there own answer was nothing it just happened at club level ,

• Advertisement

Hes managed since his mid 20s, one of the most successful managers in the LOI, managed in the Europa league group stages. Managed Irelands U21s and immediately improved them and their style of play and linked the development of the squad to the other underage squads. Evan Fergusson is 17, 5 years ago there is no way he would be playing U21s. The 21s use to be about finding English born players and try and get them into the Irish system.

To me the style of play has improved and is bringing in so many young players. Has he made mistakes, yes but I want to see where he can take them. He has got a hammering off of anyone. All loses apart from the England friendly he's only lost by 1 goal and in 4 of those games they were screamers. In another campaign thats 4 or 5 more draws or a few more wins and nobody questions anything. I enjoy watching this Ireland team and havent really since the mid 2000's. Id rather lose trying to win games than lose trying not to lose.

Good. He should get the Euros and as i've said in other posts if he doesnt at least get a playoff place/finish 2nd i assume his contract wont be renewed. So people talk like Kenny is manager for the rest of his life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement