Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The main thing is keeping the main thing, the main thing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Zoomfly are a good shout - I loved the 1st 2 iterations. Something to consider.

The AF2 just got released and also just sold out I gather! Maybe in a few months in a sale.

Whoever said running was cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Have a look at the Adidas Takumi Sen 8 - not exactly a supershoe because they have "energy rods" not carbon....but I find them very similar to the endorphin speeds. I love the lower stack height, they're light, the rods give you "something" and they have the continental grip which is a big deal for lanky fellas like us

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I also meant to add , you're mad for not trying the Alpha on the shorter stuff. No brainer in my mind honestly. I found them superb on the Buttevant 4 miler. Better than the vaporfly.

Hopefully the release of the v2 means we might see some deals in the v1...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I'll be using the AF's for a 10k this weekend so I'll let you know how that goes.. Like Swashbuckler I have used two fuelcells in recent times, one the tc and one the original RC elite. I really liked them to run in but both pairs split on the sides after no time- strange design.

I've always found NB a bit snug in the forefoot so while the TC were a decent fit I always needed to half a size up and even then the upper really strapped close to the foot .. to look at the upper it always looked stretched where it meets the foam although it didn't cause me any physical issues. I guess over time it just rips away under the constant pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I learned that with the TC - they lasted less than 200 miles when i got the exact size. I went a half size up for RC and got another maybe 100 miles. You can still run when they are split but it starts to get uncomfortable and was always afraid you would be running home from a long run barefoot ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Ugh!!! I’m so confused now!!!

This reminds me of when I first became interested in pedigree bulls and their breeding. DETAIL!

As I'm sure it's the same with pedigree bulls, if in doubt ask the experts 🤣

Monday 13th: A few miles on the grass in Porterstown. Tired legs.

5.5m / 8.05 pace

Tuesday 14th: Session - 3(3/2/1min) off 1 min float + 5x200

With some other sessions planned for this week - this was to be done at 10k pace (5.50/mile) - with recoveries 'honest'.

I wore the Reebok Floatride 4's for this - no plate and not a high stack shoe.

1st 3 min rep - 5.46 - slower than my pace for 5 miles recently - felt knackered after it - amazing how that happens!

The 1st set actually went ok - paces between 5.45-5.50 and recoveries about 7 min/mile.

2nd set started to bite a bit - rep paces still - 5.40-5.50 but recoveries slipped - ave about 8 min/mile.

3rd set I just got it done - reps on the money and managed to keep the recopveries under 8 min/mile - barely.

5x200 next at 5.30 pace - all went fine.

With WU/CD session came to 10 very humid sticky miles.

Wednesday 15th: Very easy run - 1st 'plod' in a while and it was worth it!!

4.6m / 8.15 pace / HR 115

Thursday 16th: Session 12(800@6.30 + 1km@7.20)

This was a build on a session I done recently. The MP segments then were 500m - now it is 800m.

This will build over the course of Marathon training, with the MP segment growing and the 'Float' remaining at 1km at 7.20.

I again chose a lumpy route for the 2nd half of the session - I want to get as many of these into my legs as possible (at a decent pace).

The 1st few reps really felt like jogging - the floats at 7.20 pace averaged 7.00 for the 1st 5-6 reps.

Going up Military hill and then the UGR really shocked the legs - which were already tired - I done a loop of my fav 2m course before venturing up Castleknock Road for the last rep - the HR spiked here - before the last 'float rep' bringing me to the 7m mark for DCM and the highest point on the Marathon course.

Very happy to hit paces for all reps - I love these sessions and looking fwd to seeing them grow.

Such a warm day for this and done it without fluids/gels.

16.4miles / ave 7 min/miles / (1.54 time on feet) / HR ave 148 - spiked to 170

Some great sessions there. I found this week incredibly tough with the heat and humidity and that was just for easy runs. Fair play.

• Advertisement

Friday: Rest day - 1st rest day in 32 days

Saturday 18th: Session - 1/2/3/4/5/6/5/4/3/2/1 mins off 1 min float

Chose a less lumpy route, but challenging none the less on the way back for the last few reps. Planned pace was 6.10-6.20.

2m Warm up: 7.41 ave pave was a good start and I knew the legs were in a good place.

Reps went very well - I was strong on the recoveries - trying to keep it in 7.10-7.20 area.

The 1st half was very strong - reps for the 1/2/3/4/5/6 reps were all under 6.10 with quite gpod recovery pace (1 min 'recovery' pace between 5min & 6 min rep was 6.40!) - recovery between the 6 and the 5 was 7.12 - so I was in a good place.

As soon as I turned up the North Road, there was a headwind and a drag, as well as some slight fatigue. I still managed keeping the reps under 6.20 pace with the intervals being 7.10-7.12.

Took a decent recovery after the final 3 min rep (7.56 pace for 1 min) - before the final reps at 6.08 / recovery at 6.42/ 1min at 6.09.

A very strong session and one that I loved doing - one of my favourite sessions. 36 mins of 'real' tempo pace with 10 mins of intervals built in that doesn't allow the HR to fall - So 46 mins of real good work all in with the 'recovery'.

Really liking this sort of plan - the use of Floats appears to be a magic sauce for me - I recall thinking towards the end of this session that I 'feel fit' - haven't had that feeling in a while.

2m home at 7.30/7.45 - felt like 10 min mile pace.

11m total at 6.49 pace.

Sunday 19th: Easy run - 5.3miles at 8.07 pace - HR at 119.

I should have paced/helped at Castleknock 5k - but didn't (and kicking myself) - Next year for definite I'll help or take part.

53 miles for the week with a rest day.

Next week is interesting 3x45min runs on the plan - 10k race on Thursday (Clonee), which should be interesting.

I've only ever ran 1 'decent' 10k in recent years - and that was 5 years ago - I've not been happy with any 10k since then!!

Putting it out there - I hope to get close to my PB of 36.09. If I run a decent race and watch my pace early on, then its possible, going by my recent 5m race.

Some HR stuff entering the plan going fwd ( e.g. 90 mins at 145-150 HR / placing a max HR on certain runs) - should be interesting!!

Monday: Session - 45mins at 145-150 HR + 5x200

A lot of sessions recently - even though some are at a moderate/steady pace. But still feeling good.

I have a loop that I use in the PP for these 45min moderate sessions - it helps with feedback on progress (HR focused). This run seen the pace move from 6.30's early on to near 7's as I went up the North Road and fatigued.

200's at 5.50 pace - no real issue.

worked out at 9miles.

Tuesday: Was going to take a rest day - but got a text from a running buddy - so joined her for a 5mile easy run.

5m / 8.24 pace / 115 HR

Wednesday 22nd: A few easy miles with strides - shakeout prior to Thursdays 10k.

3.6m

Thursday 23rd: Clonee 10k - report to follow.

Clonee 10k

I had chosen this race over Dunshaughlin as I considered a better opportunity to get a PB and possibly go under 36mins on a perfect day. If the running Gods lined up like the Dunboyne BHAA 5m then it was on the cards.

My PB is from this race 5 years ago (WTF) wearing the original Adidas Adizero racing flats.

I prepared well for it - but, unlike Dunboyne 5m - I took a beet it shot on Thursday and spent quite a lot of time on the loo as a result. I'll not be taking these again for any race. Ever. (it wasn't a factor in the race - but they dont agree with me).

Shoe choice was a dilemma - do I wear the trusted Vapour flys (PB in most distances in them) or go for the Alpha Flys? - I chose the VF's as the last thing I wanted was any doubts in my head half way through the race.

Busy in work - that was a good distraction and made my way to Clonee (a 10 min drive) - done a short 1.5m WU with strides and got ready to set off.

1st Mile is somewhat downhill for a bit - doesn't really show it on the elevation profile, but its there and noticeable. I reign the pace back - my aim is to run 5.50's for the 1st 3m. (my pace for the 5m was 5.45).

I'm counting ahead of me and I'm in 14th/15th place as Peter Somba goes out of sight early enough.

Mile 1: 5.50

Mile 2 has a drag on it - not very noticeable but its there and on a very humid day like this - its really there!

The route brings us to the start of the loop and I get a good shout out at this point - this lifts me a bit as I'm struggling and its so early into the race. Its warm, its muggy - theres no air in the air - theres no water in my spit. I pass by a water station, but water in cups would be a disaster.

Theres a group of 3-4 ahead of me who I eventually catch - or actually - they come back to me. I think I'm in 9th or 10th now.

Mile 2 5.52

As we approach the 3rd mile - I tell myself that sub 36 will be out of the question as the temps feel hotter now - the humidity is wrenching and the demons are out in force. We make left turn and approach (on paper) the high point of the race - I tell myself with a smile that its all downhill from here.

I overtake 1 more guy on this stretch - but its very lonely now. The 3 ahead are a good bit ahead - not to be caught and I cant hear anyone behind me - everyone is suffering I think.

Mile 3: 5.53

We turn left again making our way around the loop and I pass the 5k marker and hit lap on my watch.

My mind wanders to the Dunboyne 5m race recently, where I went through 5k faster and felt like I was only jogging - this was a world of a difference.

5km: 18.14 (subsequent mile splits from the 5k point)

The next 2 miles are quite similar - willing it to be over - fighting the demons.

The lads ahead are coming back a bit - but its still too far and I'm suffering terribly - I'm trying to reduce my stride, use the arms more - but the level of fatigue is absolutely mind blowing. During this stretch, I note some people cheering the local guy (chairman of Dunboyne) so I know he is close behind.

at some point in this stretch he moves beside me and goes ahead - I seem to get a new wind (slightly - maybe a gentle breeze :) ) as I now have someone to chase.

Mile 4&5: 5.59 / 5.57

I recall checking my watch in wonder as I'm not at 6.30 pace, such is the way i'm feeling - but still holding sub 6's - just about. There's a mile left - Dunboyne Guy is just ahead, but I'm not going to catch him - there is nothing in the legs and the 'downhill' start means an 'uphill' finish - the last mile is fairly straight and seems never ending. I know that there is no one behind me and I know I cant catch the guys in front - I just plough on - no idea of the time - it could be anything.

I go through the 6th mile in 5.56 (amazingly) and cover the final stretch of the 2nd 5km at 5.40 pace (that was the extent of my sprint finish).

2nd 5km in 18:39 (25 second difference in the 2 5k's)

Finish time was 36.58 / 9th place

I moved to the side and thought I was going to throw up - dry retching for a good while - the sign that I had rinsed myself. Or rather - the conditions had rinsed me. My vest was absolutely soaked and the sweat was streaming off me in buckets.

Was great to meet up with so many people again - this is the aspect I like about these races.

Thoughts on the race:

After harbouring thoughts of a sub 36 - I wasn't disappointed about running nearly a min slower- the conditions were what they were - there was no way I was going to PB in those conditions - so was happy afterwards - most peoples time was about 60-90 secs slower than they wanted.

I had kept the pace under 6's and didn't capitulate or have a poor mile, despite being isolated for a good bit of the race - so very happy with that as 10k's have proven difficult for me in the past.

I Found out I had won an old man prize as O45 - delighted with that too.

As much pizza and cake as you could take back in the Grasshopper after the race - some good chats and catchups.

8.5m all in (inc WU/CD)

Good report A. Seems like it was just a general sufferfest last night. Marc's comments on Strava line up with your estimates too.

Well done for suffering it out. I was convinced you'd have me chasing your 10k PB in Banna. Goes to show that a lot needs to line up to hit a pb at 10k.

I vaguely recall you chose Clonee over Dunshaughlin years ago too and the running gods didnt play ball then either...So next year, run Dunshaughlin!!

Any more attempts at the 10k planned?

Thanks P - yeah - had a good chat with Marc before & after.

It was a different race (or choosing Dunshaughlin over Clonee!!) I think, as I've just ran Clonee once previously (Dunshaughlin twice) and got my PB there. With the right conditions Clonee is a super course - one of the flattest around.

Its unfortunate timing for races around these parts at this time of year with some of the fastest races all in a short window (Dunshaughlin/ Kilcock 5k/ Docklands 5k/ Clonee) - its impossible to do them all.

A Dunshaughlin / Kilcock (St Cocoas) combo should be the way to go next year!!

Not too sure on any more 10k's this side of Dublin - will see what comes up. I may wait til early next year as I'll probably not do a Spring Marathon and do a lot of races instead. (note - this plan for next year may change in an hour).

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

That's an impressive performance considering A. I'm pretty sure that the RunningKing and a younger AMK would have registered a DNF in those conditions?! You're getting stubborn in your old age - that's meant as a compliment by the way ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yesterday was a horribly heavy day up here and conditions with you seem to have been much worse and worse still in the evening time. It’s horrible luck but a good workout and no harm done. You fought through it well and that will stand to you the most! Onwards and upwards

Friday: So following a hard 10k - you follow this up with an easy recovery run, right...........right??

Nope - 60mins at a steady'ish HR - not straining. 135hr (75% max) and not higher than 145.

I planned to meet a running buddy, AJ and got 10mins in prior to meeting her - noting that my legs felt remarkably good running up Whites Road. She mentioned to me to do a couple of miles on my own to allow her to catch up as she wasn't doing an hour. So I set off - the pace was coming in at sub 7's and when I finally met AJ again - she was heading home - I kept going as the HR was itching towards 145 - careful not to go over it.

Finished off with 8.6m at 7.05 pace - bang on 140 HR ave.

Saturday: Another HR run - the aim was to run 10 bpm below Marathon HR (153'ish) - so about 143HR for 45 mins.

This time I done a WU - just under a mile and set off in the PP again - deciding to do a lap up the S Bends, onto the Quays and up the Stonybatter climb.

My earlier miles were 6.31/6.35/6.34 and 6.45 going up Stoneybatter - I was marvelling at how low my HR was for the pace - only realising at this stage that I was looking at ave HR (which included my warm up) - my act HR was higher than it should have been. Silly mistake but it was only a few beats higher so no harm done - legs still felt good despite 3 tough'ish days in a row.

Finished off with 5x200's

8.8m / 7.04 pace.

Sunday: Long Run at a similar HR to Saturday (143HR = 79%Max HR) With 30sec surge every 15 mins.

Beers on a Sat night meant I was a bit 'meh' for this - I thought about just doing a bog standard run - but that would undo the intention of the last few days - build Fatigue resistance. Anti cramp plan number 678.

I ran from the house and surprised myself with a 7.10 1st mile - feeling remarkably good given the exertions from Thurs/Fri/Sat.

A lap of the Furze/OS and then down the North Road seen my pace at sub 7's and feeling very controlled. Going up Military Road (by the Khyber) is the start of a 4m+ uphill run home - seemed like a good idea at the time - but I was feeling it by the time I reached the house.

The 30 sec surges sound easy - (I forgot the 1st one) but its a good mechanism to remind the legs to run faster while in a long run.

13 miles - 7.08 pace / 140 HR ave

A real good 4 days, very happy with it and how it worked out. (but looking fwd to a slow run on Monday :) )

57 miles for the week.

Post edited by AuldManKing on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Something similar happened with me in a recent 10k. Conditions were ok in my case but a first race back and no specific sessions I just wasn't able to push into the red in the last third

The result was my legs felt super the following day (and for a few days after that).

My conclusion was that some faster fibres in the legs got some stimulation that they hadn't got before, but not enough to really fatigue them.

These fibres were primed for the runs on the following days.

The limiter for the runners in Clonee seemed to be dealing with heat and thus the legs were deprived of usual amount of power (looks like at least a minute) to really fatigue them. Thus, your experiencing the great leg feeling next day. More muscle available that isn't fatigued, therefore more power and a faster pace.

IMO development races for distance runners could be deliberately simulated like this. Getting the benefits of racing (more power/endurance etc.) but not the down side (extreme fatigue in following days).

Your race in particular will also benefit your heat endurance which is an important adaption taken for granted in training IMO.

I was very interested following your Strava this week and was looking forward to this update to get some context on all the "hard" runs. Fascinating stuff to be honest. Never occurred to me that it might be a strategy to counter the cramping...really solid week lad. Very impressive.

• Advertisement

Thanks T - nice to get this insight.

Paul - its really an fatigue resistance play to enable me to do the upcoming training (I do realise I may have ran at the upper end of HR on some of the runs) - but one of the benefits of it will be helping callous the legs to cramp. e.g. Sundays long run was on really tired legs - running just 10 beats below MP HR.

Probably wont me typical of future weeks to do 4 in a row - just with racing on Thursday and again this week. A 'moderate day' prior to the long run will be a constant feature though.

It just shows the value of specific coached training. That's not something any of us would consider if self coached. No offence to your years of experience or anything..😆. Its just so specific to your needs. Good to see. Hope it pays dividends next time you hit the 26.2.

Monday 27th: 5.4m / 8.02 pace.

Tuesday 28th: 45min Moderate (1453 HR) - 5x200

Same route that I'm using a lot now for these 45 min runs - trying to keep elevation to a minimum some of the times. - I'll keep the hills for the main sessions.

done a 5min WU and then made the mistake of trying to get HR up to 143 quickly - at some stage I'll learn to let it build and work to an average HR - meaning the later 10 mins or so will be over 143.

Done the 200's - Felt a bit tired after that one - fatigue from the harder days post race.

8.2m / 7.12 pace

Wed 29th: Short run - 5miles - 26th (yep 26) wedding anniversary. Blind Pig restaurant - a great experience - for the entrance alone.

Thursday: Planned Rest day -

Friday: Easy 5 miles with some strides - legs felt great on this.

I had an entry for the Leixlip 5k on Friday and the Roscommon 10m on Sat - so chose the 10 miler as I felt it would benefit me more approaching Marathon training.

I'd never 'seriously' done a 10 m race at this stage of training - I felt a bit under prepared with a lack of long runs and no real 'tempo' specific work - but thought it would be good for the body and speed endurance to give it a whack.

As I thought more about it - I was talking myself into a sub 60 performance expectation;

"Sure you ran 6m in muggy warm conditions last week at 5.55 - you can do at least 2 more in less warm conditions and then if you start out at 6's and not 5.50's - you can then get the other 2 miles - sub 60 - you'll be grand!"

Saturday July 2nd: Roscommon 10 mile.

I woke early on Sat morning - despite the race not starting until 11:30 - I had a good 90min drive over to Roscommon.

My 1st thoughts were - $hit - my legs feel tired. Had my breakfast - done my business and set off sipping electrolytes along the drive.

The planned rain wasn't going to happen and it was 17 degrees at the startline.

Made it in good time - got ready and done a warm up - I knew very few people there - which was weird for the Kia series - I thought it would be packed with running buddies. Had a quick chat with Conor McC and lined up ready to go.

Mile 1:Set off at a good clip and reigned it back to 5.55's - after a half mile or so - we were finding our groups.

I was in a group with Lizzie (yep - that Lizzie) and Maria (yep - that Maria) and they were moving nicely. My thoughts immediately went to the JT race in Dungarvan when I went sub 60 - I had to make a decision to stay with a group or back off - I stayed and it paid off - so I kept with the group.

Mile 1 beeped in 5.57 (but felt harder)

Mile 2: Country roads again - I had been thinking of wearing the AF's for this, but glad I went with the VF's as the roads probably weren't suited to the AF's - despite a lot of people wearing them.

At this stage the effort level was rising - I said to myself that this was normal and I'd get a 2nd wind - stay with the group!!

Lizzie started talking to a guy in our group and as she did - the DSD girl with us bolted away from her - she stopped the conversation immediately and followed her - obviously both were in for a team prize and tracking each other. That was the last I'd see of Lizzie for a while.

Mile 2: 5.55

Mile 3: Got a real strange lethargic feeling on this mile - my pace was dropping and I could not get it moving faster - I knew we were on a long drag - but the feeling was more deep rooted than that. I had thoughts of DNF'ing there and then as I knew it was going to be a tough run and I valued my weeks training ahead rather than finishing a sub par race.

Mile 3: 6.13 (Strava subsequently tells me that the GAP was 6.01)

Mile 4 & 5: My pace picked up again on this mile - we turned off road onto a nice downhill country road section and I pass a couple of people - I can still see Maria just ahead of me and I'm in a group of 4-5 people.

My pace is moving along nicely and I'm feeling good. Until we turn onto a main road again - the longest drag in history - I can feel the pace start to dwindle.

Mile 4&5: 5.58 / 6.04

Mile 6: I'm still on this main road and its like the energy is being zapped from my body - I can notice the heat now - I glance at the watch and see pace is in the 6.20's - Jesus - I feel like $hit at this stage.

I'm thinking of slowing right down and running at MP to the finish line - but hell, MP was now feeling hard as I'm at 6.30's - in Mile 6 of a race! Whats going on!!

We make a few turns and someone passes me - the 1st person to do so - He says words of encouragement and I tell him "I'm dead - I'm at marathon pace" - he shouts back - "Nice marathon pace - sub 3" - I check the watch and see that my pace has indeed dropped to 6.50's.

"Get to the next corner" - "theres a water stop near here" - "dont worry about pace - just keep moving" - there was no pity party going on in my head - just confusion as to what was going on and a desire to 'fix it'.

Mile 6 beeped at 6.30

Mile 7/8/9: There's like an instant relief as I turn a corner and have a gentle downhill - the legs have woken up again.

The heat is a real factor now - I take some water at the 7.5m mark - the pace is back to 'reasonable levels'.

2 lads overtake me and I try to go with them - I catch up with one, but the other moves on - I can see Maria just ahead - she becomes a target and I can still see Lizzie ahead of her. Interesting - everyone must be feeling the same thing as me.

I keep on going - maintaining my pace (6.05-6.10's) - its hot - there are a couple of patches in the woods and the tree cover is welcome.

I can remember at one stage trying to breathe long breaths and saying to myself that the air is very warm!

At some stage in the last 2 miles a female comes by me - looking very strong - I'm nearly dead so I leave her off but it does give me something to chase. This section is all mind games - 12 mins till the home stretch. 4 mins to 1 mile left.

I can remember the 9th mile beeping on my watch and I'm half afraid to look at it and being mildly surprised that the pace was 6.09 as it felt so much slower.

Mile 7/8/9: 6.06 / 6.07/ 6.09

After the 9mile mark - I note that there is no one behind me - Maria is up ahead - maybe 20 secs ahead with 2 others. Lizzie seems to be speeding up.

With less than a mile to go - I know that I wont catch them, but I try and keep the pace honest - We turn a corner and someone tells me - 500m left - that surprises me - I thought it was more.

I then see the finish line in the distance and try to increase the pace - I do a bit - but its more to chase the seconds down rather than catch anyone.

Mile 10: 6.01

I cross the line at 61.14.

I was surprised to see that time - after the 3rd and 6th mile - I expected worse. My 1st thoughts was that I should have tried harder to run sub 61 :)

Its a great set up for this race - plenty of drinks and fruit at the finish line - I had a good chat with a few people, noted that everyone slowed down on the 3rd and 6th miles. I probably should have done some research on the route rather than accept the blurp that it was 'Fast & Flat' :) - I think it was the surprise of it that got me more!!

A happy 90 min drive home as I didn't give in and ran a decent race despite the hardships felt - Its a good learning to know that even though the pace feels hard at times - you can get it back. I need to run the conditions a bit better - both weather and drags.

Running 12 years - but still learning!!

All thoughts turn to Marathon training now.

Roscommon 10 mile: 61.14

Position: 34th / O40: 8th

Sunday 3rd: A hungover few miles around the locality

5.6m / 8.13 pace

Monday 4th: 45 mins easy run

5.5m / 8.00 / 120HR

Tuesday 5th: Session - 5x2mins @5.50/ 5x1min @5.40 / 5x30secs @5.30 - Honest recoveries (7.10-7.20)

Parked at the PP and done a 2m WU Set off with the 1st couple of reps up Chesterfield, then around by the North Road and back to the Aras.

Pace for the 5x2 averaged just under 5.50 - with recoveries averaged 7.15/7.20.

The 5x1min were fine until I decided to do a lap of the polo grounds and found it tougher on the grass whilst running into the wind.

Recoveries averaged 7.10-7.15's here.

Normally for the 5x30 secs - I dont watch the recovery, but did today - done these going up North Road - rep pace was ok and recovery was 7.15.

Sat down for a few mins after this as the effort was tough and HR was tipping 168 by the end - thankfully it had stayed in high 150's/low 160's for majority of session. (~155 is Mara HR (~85% Max))

Total: 8.3 miles - good to get a session done within the hour.

Wednesday 6th: Probably the most fuel depleted I've felt in a long time - stopped a couple of times on this easy run but went home after 35 mins and ate all around me.

Thursday 7th: Session - 12x1km on/off (On: 6.30/off: 7.20)

This was going to prove a difficult run to get done - the Mother is in Hospital, my daughters b'day dinner that evening and somewhat busy in work.

I cancelled a couple of meetings and got out about 3.30 - the body and legs feeling a lot better today.

1st mile WU was 7.40 - so I knew things would be good - I also knew that this would be a long workout, so went upto Porterstown Park 1st before going down to the PP.

This is a progression from a 500m/1k on/off & an 800m/1km on/off - and as with the prior workouts I done the initial reps far too quick. The 'recovery 7.20' felt like a jog at times (downhill) as I wanted to run faster - I knew I'd pay for it later as it was warm and muggy and the t-shirt was soaked from early on. I could also feel a cramp in my left calf building - it never quite came thankfully.

Up the S Bends, up by Wellington Monument, around by the Garda HQ was tough - the HR which had been in the 140's suddenly jumped to 150's as the effort was getting harder in the heat. I considered only doing 10 reps (not 12) but kept going - watching the HR on the last 2 reps as it was hitting high 160's in places.

Completed it and was a complete mess afterwards - Jogged home and thankfully I had 90mins to compose myself before going into town for Daughters B'Day dinner. Alcohol free beer is the best recovery drink after a warm session like that - really sorted me out as I lay in my back garden - my stomach doing cartwheels as it was over heating.

BTW - Mama YO's on Camden St is a fantastic place - a modern twist on Chinese - vibrant place, where all the cool people go :)

Ave pace for Reps: 6.27 / Ave pace for recoveries 7.14

Session with WU was 16.2m (6.55 pace) + 1.5m cool down

18.7m for the day !!

Friday 8th: Busy day all around - took a rest day.

Sat 9th: 45mins Moderate + 6x200 (Moderate: ~145'ish HR)

Some day I'll run these more effectively! - Done a small warm up - then set off trying to get HR up - 1st 2 miles 6.50 pace - by the last mile I was at 7.30 pace for same HR. I'll learn!

8miles total.

Sunday 10th: 45mins at 130's HR / 45mins at 140's HR

The Sunday runs start to increase from next week.

Ran from home to the PP and caught some of the finishers of the 10 mile race as the 60 min group came home - wouldn't like to be doing that today!!

1st 45mins are downhill to the Quays - then I run the hill up Stoneybatter back to the park, up through Castleknock and turn left at Myo's for home.

The 2nd 45mins pace was similar to the 1st 45 (HR was to increase by 10 beats - but the hills took care of that).

90 mins / 12.4m / 7.14 pace / 139 ave HR

57 miles for the week with a rest day.

Monday 11th: 45mins easy - 5.3m / 8 min/miles.

Tuesday 12th: Session 15 mins Steady / 30mins at 6.10 / 15 mins Steady (use HR if needed for Steady)

Was a little apprehensive on this one - 30mins at 6.10 is a difficult one.

Done a short warm up and was at 'steady' nearly right away, so started the clock on the 1st 15min piece. (6.50/6.57 - HR low 130's)

Started the 30min tempo at CK Gate and went down the North Road, turned left at the triangle back up C'Field, onto North Road and turned again at the Triangle.

1st 3 miles were (6.07/6.05/6.01) - I was feeling confident at this point. I turned right again at the Aras and decided to head onto the Furze Road for the last mile or so - into the wind, bringing me to Knockmarron Gate by the Furry Glen when 30 mins clocked. (4th mile was 6.03 and the 5th 0.9m was 6.09)

Very happy with that run - It was a very fair route after the 15 mins steady and managed it very well. I did need to take a 2 min recovery before the 15 steady home - up Tower Road.

Going up Tower Road - I felt good - pace was 7.20's but HR was too high at 150's - the intention was to have it just below 140.

Finished the 15min piece near my house and walked the couple of mins to cool down. (2nd 15 min piece 7.23/7.30 - HR 150)

9.2m / 6.37 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I've been following your log with renewed interest since realising our HR stats are very similar. My resting is 40/41, max 180, marathon effort is low to mid 150s (and LT was recorded as 167 about 4 yrs ago but this could have dropped a bit now). What is blowing my mind is your recovery runs under 130! My very easy runs when i am fit (certainly not at the moment) come in around 134-136 and more recently my easy runs are rarely under 140 and sometimes as high as 144, close to what you class as moderate 🙈 Looking back at this time last year (when I was at my fittest) I ran 22 miles with 18 miles @ marathon pace (8:33) at an average HR of 148 but even then my easy runs at 2 min/m slower only ever went as low as 134-136 bpm. I thought i had the running slow thing conquered in my DCM novice year but here I am 5 years later wondering if there's gains to be made by slowing my easy days further, though I doubt I could get to 126, as you do, without walking - I may need to experiment. HR has always fascinated and frustrated me in equal measures, I go through phases with it myself but it always peaks my interest when others are using it.

Anyhow, great training going on, looking forward to following your journey to DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's interesting - my resting and max (56/196) are pretty much 16 above yours, so the same effective range (140). I use 60% as true recovery, which equates 140, so anything below that. That means you should be able to get down to 124 to be in roughly equivalent territory. For me the middle of 'easy' range (65% HRR) is 147, which would equate to 131 for you, so it looks like there are certainly gains you could make - assuming you are sure about those resting/max numbers. Maybe your max is higher than you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Pretty sure of my RHR as what my Garmin records has been backed up by multiple ECGs. It's possible max is higher, it's not lab tested, just taking the max I've hit in the latter stages of shorter races with a fairly smooth upward trajectory and ignoring spikes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm sure AMK is delighted with all this talk of other people's HR data. 😄

Well you would want to be pretty sure of that max if you want to use HR effectively as a method - I want to have measured it with a good heart strap using one of the various recommended methods for estimating the max. It's possible you were not working as hard in those short races as you think you were (hard to fathom sometimes, but you'd be surprised), or were not measuring as accurately as you think.

Advertisement