Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sen Mary Fitzpatrick twisting in the wind on Today with CB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am reminded about the stunt Enda Kenny pulled when he went for a walkabout around Merrion Square to see homeless people in December 2015. I think it was in response to a homeless man being found dead in a doorway. Of course he brought the press with him and was sure to be seen talking to homeless people. He said at the time that he was shocked, appalled etc etc and that there was no reasons for people to be homeless. Enda had been a TD for nearly 30 years in Dublin. People started asking why he had never noticed the homeless problem before despite 30 years of going in and out of Dublin. That's Fine Gael folks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

We kinda know who they are but of course know to well, speaking publicly or critising the president will make them look like bigger eejits whilst trying to explain why the president is wrong 😉

President played a blinder here I think 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'd agree that may well be the party attitude - however looking at actual election results and polls its a huge error. For FG in particular chasing people who will never vote for the party, trying to out left the left, out woke the woke isn't working and is simply alienating what should be the core of its vote. 

Well this is an analysis but not an incontestable one. An FG strategist would probably respond along these lines:

We've been in power for a decade so in all probability we would be losing support no matter what we are doing. The parties we are competing with for floating voters are FF and the 'soft left', therefore we've got to neutralise their appeal by giving the voters most of what they would be getting from those parties, particularly with the 'woke' stuff, where we have more credibility than on economic issues. Our core vote is still going to turn out for us, albeit with much less enthusiasm; where else have they to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

Point taken about Eamon Ryan in 07, though to be honest, I was actually pointing out how ludicrous and deflective it was by some trying to blame the current numerous shambles, and policy failures on Higgins time in govt.(Which was almost 30 years ago now.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A lot will go elsewhere though. I'd rather vote for a party I'm pretty sure will fcuk me rather than a party who have been fcuking me for 10 years.

Where is 'elsewhere' though? "I'm so mad with FF and FG for being too left wing I'm going to vote for SF to punish them" is something online malcontents say. I can't believe many real-world voters with serious right/conservative views would act like that. That really is the politics of

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Sound very similar to that time he set up that Inner City working group and went for a walk about in Cumberland Street after there was a shooting in the flats there and as usual as soon as the attention went elsewhere nothing happened. A flat complex I know well as it is where my grandmother lived and my mother grew up. It has been plagued by poverty and drug problems for decades. It is, not sure if they are still open, the location of what my mother called the penny dinners were people down on their luck could get a meal.

Not a big fan of the President Higgins but he is right here and I'd say what is annoying FFG more than anything is that they can't ignore him like they do when an opposition TD calls them out on this. You can see it here as well, the usual government supporters have been very quiet, where as if MLMD had said it you can bet they would be on here with the usual "they are only being Populist" or "sure SF are opposing housing", Higgins has now taken that away from them and brought the housing issue right to their door step.

I'm not a Fan either but Wow he thew the cat amongst the Pidgeons, belatedly perhaps but nonetheless delighted someone has spoken up apart from opposition 😉

• Advertisement

It was what was needed, might make the government accept that what they have done has failed. I heard Varadkar on Newstalk this morning agreeing with Higgins, then again he had to really, but I wouldn't believe a word out his mouth. Alot of the problems have now gone beyond the government parties resolving them and if we had real leadership the government would be looking to set up a cross party agreement on tackling the issues.

I mean it's hard to argue that FG and FF have been right wing or conservative in their time in power. Socially, they're very much liberal and pro immigration, and economically, they've ballooned our public expenditure. So as someone who would vote for a right wing party, I don't see that when I look at FG anymore.

If I'm voting for parties that are left wing anyway, I might as well vote for the one that hasn't fcuked me over yet and give them a chance to.

Leo was clever to agree but what he and his colleagues are going to do about it is the problem, I'm not just thinking of Housing, Mica an ever expanding problem ( I actually don't belive Tax payer should be funding it entirely), ever growing refugee numbers (I get the support but within reason) Already 10K technically homeless, Constitution sector struggling with costs and staffing (Albeit they were quick to get a government leg up that serves only to benefit them, not buyers)

It's a shambles whatever way we look at it objectively and meanwhile Darragh O Brien goes around like a chesire cat with Grin on his face, more interested and focussed on FF strokes 🙄

Beggar's belief really.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Leo can take a running jump, his party has been in power since 2011 and built nothing. The housing crisis is very much of their doing or more precisely doing nothing. Housing for all is another failure so far, we have left our housing needs to the private sector who will only build what they deem profitable. We needed a semi state building company years ago and all we have done is waste money subsidizing the market, its ridiculous. You can blame covid, Ukraine etc but they had one major problem domestically to make progress with and we are nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah and one unnamed FF TD suggested that FG were mostly to blame.

One Fianna Fáil source speculated if Mr Higgins was actually criticising Fine Gael when he spoke about the housing crisis as “not a single house was built for 10 years under that government”.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

James Lawless twisting in the wind on RTÉ News at One.

FF have tried to bring back the celtic tiger model of housing though which none of us want. We want homes for people to build families and communities. We've lived the policy of fat cat developers running the country and the ruin that comes with it, we don't want it.

If I'm voting for parties that are left wing anyway, I might as well vote for the one that hasn't fcuked me over yet and give them a chance to.

Well as I've said I'm convinced this is largely a pose angry right-wingers adopt on the Internet. I can't believe many real-world voters with serious right-conservative convictions would take such a nihilistic self-harming step.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

Self harming?

Yeah, sure we should plod along indefinitely with the complete and utter failures of what has led us here after 100 years+ with FF FG trading power with each other, each pretending to be different than the other. Give me strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

President Higgins said yesterday what had to be said and you will have noticed the government supporters staying silent. That silence says so much and as for FF sources saying Higgins is talking about 10 years of FG government, have they forgotten that FF has supported FG since 2016.

Also it has already been said that if SF had said what President Higgins did the usual suspects on here and the government would be up in arms. It's great to see the government put in their place and they are anxiously worrying about what President Higgins might do or say next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That's regular Marko, 'when in doubt, blag one out'.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Regarding President Higgins, I am not entirely sure he is correct. I mean, does anyone know if he has seen the Human Development Index? Does he know Ireland is number 2?

That might soften his cough.

He was spot on and spoke with more conviction than I have heard any politician talk about housing. The people of this country are realizing what residential property should be, its a home not an investment or asset. It was left to the investment market and shock horror they will only build what they deem profitable, its already happening planning is drying up and the developers are putting the brakes on developments as they are worried about how profitable it will be. Now we want give €144k to developers per apartment with no limits on affordability, I'd laugh but its so **** serious now. FF/FG have lost control and need to go ASAP.

Housing for All the bill that was supposed to solve it all is nothing. The state need to address the supply and the only way to do that is the state build homes. No more developer led nonsense like Help to Buy and Shared Equity which are demand measures that are only fueling this affordability problem.

Painful individual to listen too but no one can complete with Colm Brohy on the Deflection rankings.

People have to take some of the blame as well. Remember the Celtic Tiger when property became a commodity and folks were property speculators. Every lunch time would be someone saying how much their house had gone up. I can remember before the Celtic Tiger people would rarely discuss how much their house had gone up and how much they would make if they sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

Joe McHugh has supposedly told the Mica Action Group in Donegal he will resign from Govt in next few weeks if the mica redress scheme isn't what the campaigners want.

I mean I'll probably vote Renua if they've a representative in the constituency, as they're the only right wing party, but to me FG have not been right wing at all for the last 10 years so why vote for them. If they want to go to an anti open immigration and low day to day public spending, I'd love it but they're proven to not be that.

Most likely, i'll continue my own voting method of the slaps system. 1 for the person i only want to slap once, 10 for the person i want to slap 10 times. Only way to choose when they're all bad options.

If that's the case, the government lose their majority and have to start relying on chancers like Lowry.

I sure am glad President Higgins spoke. All the usual government defenders have gone back to hiding under their rocks.

2021 Leo & FG living wage figure = 12.30.

Despite record inflation crazy rents & high mortgage rates FG have dropped 12.30 to 12.17

• Advertisement

I can't wait to see the defending and deflecting on this.

Advertisement