Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

56% of South Dublin Social housing in arrears

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

" punch down " , another dopey term beloved of the WOKE

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

I mean that the real reason behind the current push for migration is "all it ever was".

You're right about the collapsing sense of identity and community in Ireland. It's hardly a surprise.

As I said elsewhere, "multiculturalism" is nothing but the propaganda arm of a giant international pyramid scheme used to inflate assets and suppress wages. It's fake, untrue, fictitious. And it has been pushed above the country's own identity because...money!

People have been trained to clap like seals when rte shows an Indian drinking a Guinness, but they sure as f*ck forget to mention where he's going to live, how many there are, and the ever-growing underclass and ghetto's forming out of it.

It's all connected, the disengagement from society, the growing cost of assets, the lack of space, the 14 hour waits in hospitals, lack of pushback due to disenfranchisement and fracturing....all of it. Nevermind beheadings, murders, rapes.

Anyone who still claps like a seal about migration needs to have a serious sit-down with their brain.

Commercial rates are obscenely high

Social housing rents are laughably low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Oh no! You have it all figured out. How did you manage to see through our plan? Did you know our original plan was to sterilise people like you too? We decided instead to lower your IQ and make sure your could barely comprehend the real world. Guess that failed because you see through it all. At least we can rest easy knowing how deeply unhappy you are and blame everyone else. We have that at least🙄

Yeah I have the gift of being able to do basic mathematics.

The day some gobdaw even attempts to explain why migration remained untouched year after year after year after year in a worsening and worsening and worsening housing crisis will be the day I eat my own foot. There is no excuse beyond outright admittance of a pyramid scheme.

Too many people, even more problems. Yet they keep coming, and increasing in number.

Get it right though, it's not unhappiness about being treated like fools, it's the growing anger across the country that should have some sweating bullets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

As low as €25 a week. Defaulting on that is a disgrace. We didn’t hear our leprechaun talk about that yesterday. That is the disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

L“Defaulting” is a great word for “not bothering to pay the weekly rent because they know nothing will happen if they don’t, so they’ve an extra few bob for chips and cans each week”.

It’s a joke. There’s two homeless lads on my walk to work and I’d often give them a cup of tea or coffee and they’re thrilled with people taking the time to give them something small. If I’m going to work I’ll buy it for them, if I’m coming from work then I’ll make grab them from work. Our manager brings them biscuits etc. and they’re nice chaps and they’re not in your face beggars, just lads that are down on their luck. There was a foreign guy that used to be there with them but he’s now gone. He got an apartment up the road and got a medical card too. He can still be found begging but only on Saturday mornings before he goes into the bookies for the day.

A joke of a country we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Business / Commercial Rates arrears are believed to be horrendous even before Covid. Very hard to get stats due to waivers, covid etc but it's believed collection rates are as low as 30% in some local authority areas.

This article describes the situation as stable, I'd call it alarming 😉

Article May 2022.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

People on the social welfare need to be means tested every two years. This would also include people with medical cards, rent help etc.

• Advertisement

Is that actually the case though? I know of a woman who works 10 hours a week, no more and no less, because if she goes over 10 hours her and her husbands wages exceed the cut off point for every one of their benefits. The whole family have a medical card, they have a social house and god knows what else. What does she do with the rest of her time each week? Works about 50 hours making extortionately priced cakes that she sells for birthdays, christenings, weddings etc.

I’d love to see her and the family ratted out but I wouldn’t like to be the one that does it. That family play the poor mouth but the truth is they’re not in any way struggling and they’re just exploiting a system which to be fair to them is there to be exploited. Her refusal to work anything over 10 hours is laughable though. She’s regularly left the lads she works with in the lurch because she says it’s in her contract that she’s to work only 10 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You will be told you’re making this story up very soon.

Or the other classic and obvious flaw when it comes to environmentalism. The worst thing for the planet is for everyone to suddenly start living like those in the West yet the wokies who usually love the planet are all-in on increasing populations. Ah well.

These type of people are basically children, their minds never matured.

You'd hear similarly robust critical ideas from a patch of moss.

"What's that, moss, you want everyone in the world to live here as they please, but you can't afford rent? That's terrible, moss!"

"Say that again, moss, you love deh gays, you love deh Muslims, all together beside each other, but you don't know why some people got their heads hacked off? Woe is moss!"

It's a tough old world for moss, so you can only imagine what it's like for a supposedly multicellular humanoid.

Theres already a thread on this on Accommodation and Property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Why not report her? If you know she's defrauding the taxpayer, of which you are one, then you can't complain about it if you willingly turn a blind eye to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They're both decided by the same democratic process, both based on ability to pay.

But obviously, you're deciding to give better off business owners a free pass, while punching down at people in social housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

She has 3 kids, I don’t want to be the one responsible for essentially screwing them over. I want to see the mother and father nailed but I don’t want it on my own conscious which is quite selfish I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Over half being in arrears is way too many.

there needs to be a deterrent .

you accept the agreement, the payment arrangements it’s on you to meet them.

when my folks bought their first house they just did without holidays, had only a basic car, my Dad worked overtime in addition did nixers teaching a trade as he was firstly a very skilled tradesman in those days….still is…but he took responsibility, put the shoulder to the wheel… that’s very unfashionable now though, personal responsibility not having been in fashion since about 2012…. Everyone else will sort it for ya.

• Advertisement

The presidents speech was brilliant though. He addressed everything bar the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

If you choose not to report her, you're as bad as she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

This is boards. It's catnip to you because exaggerated dole tales makes you spaff your trousers, but a good half of all anecdotes about anything on this site are either outright full of sh*t or gross exaggerations. You can dial that effect up for dole threads.

There's no accountibility on this forum for anonymous tall-tales to point score and dole obsessives are the worst subspecies of these Walter Mittys.

Remember the fantasist in the other thread saying he knows 200 families within which no family member had ever worked? You lapped that up like a cat over a saucer of milk without switching on your brain.

60 hours a week? I'm quite sure. Keep on tripping the light fantastic lads, and don't forget to clean up after up yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

I won't be partaking in yet another thread full of utter nonsense, this my last contribution. But you did ask about commercial rate arrears, very little info on it but article did in essence answer your query and 30% collection rate seems plausible.

I see the usual mob out SW bashing again, mother of God they appear to have a Tremendous amount of time on their hands, how they keep up over numerous Threads is extraordinary and actually very disturbing.

They spout the same utter nonsense over and over again, hoping someone will give them a like. They are confronted, put in their Boxes after making wild accusations whilst quoting stats they don't understand, ignore facts explained to them and then the vile, hateful contemptuous Bile is unleashed, they eventually tire of being called out and then find another thread to continue the vile onslaught against anyone on SW, to include those on Disibility and illness payments, Pensioners, low income families, it's disgusting, Utterly Tiresome, Tedious and repetitive claptrap from people who want to shout, not debate or discuss.

But of course this, like other Threads is not about SW, " Alledgedly" unless people are automatically assuming every single person in local authority housing is a SW welfare scrounging, Lazy good for nothing, Layabout & beneath contempt, which of course most Right thinking know, they are absolutely Not.

Some people seriously and really need to out more 🙄

That's it, life to short to be feeding this rubbish.

Ah yes , the inevitable dopey WOKE slogan " punching down " is deployed

Feeble

Why bother with all that verbiage

All you need to say is

Shut up middle Ireland and keep milking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'll respond to that, we agree on many things, but clearly not on the Tripe being posted here and elsewhere by a particular cohort who in essence appear to blame every crisis in Ireland on SW recipients.

Do we actually know what percentage of arrears relate to SW recipients 🤔

Why the absurd assumptions every single social housing tenant is on SW

As for middle Ireland, I live there in my own home, just because I'm more fortunate than others doesn't mean I can't call out mindless Vitriol, not just levelled at Jobseekers, but those on working family supports, Pensioners, Disabled or ill, the attack on Medical card holder's is particularly offensive.

I'm not suggesting you share these views, simply pointing out the same cohort pop up across boards, can't actually debate the Threads topic coherently, nor wish to do so, instead kick people without not a single clue about people who maybe struggling.

That's it, I've no more to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

The problem there is the out of control almost completely unregulated private rental market strict rent control is the solution to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

There we are now business owners trousering the profits and ignoring their responsibilities to the tune of 116 million quid! But lets all get ourselves into a furious tizzy over the 9 million owed in social housing rent a drop in the ocean in comparison.

Once you are unhappy/angry I am happy.

Your racist clap trap of replacement theory and fear of "others" is very clear. You blame the government but I am sure you are outwardly hostile to non native Irish.

Basic maths is all you are capable of which is your problem. Immigration is needed because we need people with more than basic maths. If you were capable of doing the work of the immigrates in the IT field it wouldn't be needed. If on the other hand an uneducated immigrant can come in and do your job you wasted your opportunity from the education offered here.

I grew up around people like you who blame the government for everything and don't take personal responsibility. They are all angry like you and I don't care how you feel because I do want you and your ilk stamped out from society because you are a social drag of hate and anger with little value.

I just hope you don't have children to spread your hate to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's truly amazing that you can not pay your 160 euro tv licence and they've "heard all the excuses before" so you'll end up in prison if you don't pay it but you then have scroungers who won't pay a pitiful few euro for their social house and what happens?....Nothing

You're doing the usual thing of not addressing what people are saying but just projecting stuff.

Did anyone say everyone in social housing is on welfare? No.

A majority of people falling way behind on a token rent on a place they get because they "can't afford" the private market is what it is. A **** disgrace. It points to an absolutely ludicrously low expectation of people.

Could you please quote the "offensive" "attacks" on people with medical cards? I see 3 mentions on the entire thread beforehand and I'm struggling to take offence to them, maybe I need to clutch my pearls a bit harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

pup almost doubled over night, and now this, maybe the dole isnt enough after all!

If you actually read my post, I referred to the Usual Cohorts spouting the same SW bashing claptrap across boards and Threads using their obvious prejudices to Labour points that have little to do with Thread Topics.

Social housing is offered to numerous cohorts, Families or single parents with Children, Low income families or single people, Those on waiting lists for years etc. There are many, many working and low income families in SH, not just SW recipients, as some would have us believe,

Rents are based on Income, to SUGGEST every SH tenant either gets free housing, Pays a pittance in rent is absurd.

And just to be very very clear, I have absolutely little regard or time for those who fail to pay their rent, particularly when that rent is low, I'll give some understanding because of recent cost ofl living crisis but sustained, historical and deliberate none payment of rent is outrageous and disgraceful and absolutely local authorities need to start taking firm action.

Council housing is social welfare while not run by that department it is a social welfare scheme to house people. So anyone in a council house is receiving a welfare payment.

Pension, disability, family support payments are social welfare payments. I don't have an issue housing people by the state but it is obvious some abuse the system as obvious by them not paying rent. A classic case of this is when their income increases they don't inform the HSE and stay on lower rent in a council house. I can see why, would you like to get a pay increase and then realise you won't get any more money as your rent would go up? So people don't report it and in some cases they have done this for years hence a huge arrears when discovered. Your adult child gets a job and lives with you don't tell HSE because rent will go up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I think south Dublin has 10% of income as the rent, so it would be a pittance really. If the result of failing to pay rent for an extended period was eviction, most would pay it. Obviously the state would have to pay HAP to house them, but they would likely be moving someone off HAP too.

Whilst I accept the premice of your point, Social Housing is a Housing support just like HAP is, both whilst funded by government indirectly are not infact classed as SW supports, I'm referring to the Tenant Demographics and despite assertions to the Contary (not suggest you've said this), the perception all or the vast Majority of SH tenants are on SW is simply ludicrous.

If we examine arrears on its own in other housing scenario's there's ample evidence of working people in private rented accommodation in arrears, there's also HAP arrears and indeed Mortgage arrears.

There's many complex reasons for arrears, some may even be deliberate and I'm not doubting that, I just don't get this formula

SW = SH = ARREARS

• Advertisement

No matter what way you spin it housing subsidy and council housing is social welfare by the state. Because we have a department called Department of Social Protection at present (name changes quite regularly) people think all social welfare schemes go through them. This does not mean housing subsidy is not a social welfare scheme. HSE administrate it the same way DSP administrate the medical cards they remain social welfare programs. For the good of society.

Anybody with subsidies housing or a council house are receiving social welfare whether you like it or not. Why you are excusing any of them for not paying a vastly reduced rent is beyond me. There is no arears equal to SW nor SH there is just arrears from those being subsidised as a social welfare program not paying their rent. I have dealt with this as a landlord and working in DSP. Tenat gets a cheque cashes it and doesn't pay rent is very common. The difference here is it is the councils not getting paid. How complex do you think arrears are to get to a €20k stage?

Yeah, it's offered to a bunch of cohorts. The following points are true though, stats and links have been posted plenty of times: The majority of people in social housing also receive income from the state. The majority of tenants in social housing are behind on their token rent.

Rents are based on incomes and are a relative pittance. Getting a place for 10-20% of market rents and still not paying it deserves at the very least scorn from people who are capable of somewhat functioning in society. When it's a majority of people then yeah, it kinda gets to the point that you can start generalising a little bit. Is anyone giving out about the 75 year old in a wee bungalow for 20 quid a week? Absolutely not. And I'd wager the pensioners will have a few higher rate of successful payments than the people who know how to play the game.

And it's not just council housing either, there seems to be a real failure or unwillingness to accept that the state has fucked the whole thing up. Council housing is a joke. I've a huge family and not all very savoury. They know what they're at. I'm talking dozens of people who've never worked and never will. Their parents the same. Their kids in their 20s and 30s the same. I've seen the off-book handouts given to people, but unless it's in legislation it doesn't happen or exist. 😂 Aside from council housing you have the HAP which has doubled rents instantly by setting a ludicrously high floor on rents. That'd be bad enough but there was also a "discretionary" top-up which the majority of people in my county also get. And now they're raising that by another 30% I think it was.

The cheapest 3 bedroom place in my county right now is €1500 a month. The only people affording that are very well-paid, have both adults working or, in the majority of successful cases will be subsidised by the government. Which means you have to be even better off again to afford a roof over your head. What's the answer? KEEP PUMPING IT!! Friend of a friend got a place on HAP (again, never worked, never will, father of the kid was under investigation for stuff that really should prevent him being around any child), less than a year old. Fully furnished. Down the Dispensary or whatever local term you know it by and got €10k to furnish the place. Sofas, beds, appliances all less than a year old thrown into a skip and brand new everything dropped around. And she still complains about the 30 quid a week they're expected to hand up in rent. My mother had a bit of a falling out with a family member a while back who was complaining that her daughter got a place on HAP (has a kid herself but usually doesn't have custody) and was only given €6k to furnish it.

These people along with the dealers and the very obviously on a ****-ton more money than what they're declaring are the ones people are giving out about. The overall set-up is the politicans' fault and the massive inflation of the rental market is a direct side-effect of the government just not bothering to try to think of anything else. And yes, it's **** galling for people paying hundreds a week to find out that the majority of people paying token rents can't be bothered and will face no consequences and have complete security of tender and we get told are the most vulnerable in society. Please.

Hmmmm, I suppose your proving my point, but security of Tenure 🤔 perhaps you can explain that to the 100"s of people facing evictions monthly and for reasons that have nothing to do with Rent Arrears.

No doubting Government housing policy over many years is a shambles but what exactly are the solutions. Shut down social housing, stop HAP payments, perhaps create industrial size Tent Cities.

I don't pretend to know what the solutions are but I do know that aside from a very small cohort of individuals who deliberately avoid paying rent, there's numerous factors at play that may affects thousands of households ability to pay or cover rents, mortgages fully and its not new a new phenomenon.

Jesus, talk about missing the point. People privately renting face eviction, that's the whole point! Council tenants don't have that issue. The council won't be selling the house out from under them. Unlike our glorious president who only too happily took advantage of a tax break to sell a house and remove tenants. Well within his rights but yeah, when the loudest voices are doing the things they're giving out about, well, they can go and **** themselves.

So not only do they get a place at a token rent they also have security of tenancy that people renting privately can only dream of.

There's no palatable solution because we have **** pathetic politicians. Introducing HAP in the first place was always going to end in disaster because once something's given it takes a **** long time to try to take it back. Increasing spending on the other hand it turns out is really easy even without legislation whenever they can be bothered. State intervention can be useful and I'm no libertarian but because politicians are pathetic and people are stupid we're heading close to double-digit inflation with interest rates still at historic lows and the state is increasing spending across the board. Until we're willing to make people take some responsibility for themselves there'll be no solution.

Social housing is a scarce resource and is an enormous privilege. If someone is unwilling to pay the rent, they should be evicted and moved onto the HAP system (with all the additional headache that comes with that). If someone ends up in massive arrears (20k WTF!) and they are receiving social welfare, it is likely that a judge would grant 5 euro a week from social welfare (similar to the cases where an amount is owed to private landlords). Basically, there are no consequences that will force people to change behavior if eviction is not on the cards.

Did you actually read the original article, Council taking legal action 🤔

You claimed right of Tenancy when no such thing exists in SH 🤔

Not Aware of our Glorious presidents tax affairs, are you annoyed about his recent comments, which by all accounts we're praised, apart from the government of course who should be rightly ashamed of themselves.

I'm not a fan of Michael D incidently.

• Advertisement

And I whole heartily agree and have pointed out I've little time for the small percentage of those who avoid or pay rent in SH, it's actually OUTRAGEOUS.

I think the main difference in opinion is that you think the majority of the 56% are in arrears for legitimate reasons. Generally, those on the left assume the best in everyone, that everyone is following the rules as best they can etc. It is a Utopian view. Have you lived in any of these social housing estates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Nail on head and also why local authorities run shy now of great building programmes for social housing. The likes of the campaigns against bin charges and water charges only reinforce the strategy to privatise. And the same people who led those campaigns and others are the ones bleating now about councils not providing services. The chickens tend to come home to roost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

To be fair, according to the CSO, there are about 5k properties in Ireland where the mortgage payer hasn't made a payment in over 10 years. There are plenty of free houses.

And we all pay for that with higher mortgage rates. A mortgage in Ireland, unlike in other European countries, is effectively an unsecured loan. The bank has greater security when you get a car loan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement