Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,603 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fury, the spoofer he is has made a predictable retirement u-turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He was never retiring,

Remember the talk of retirement happened exactly on the same day that Whyte never turned up to the presser,

It was Fury thinking on his feet on how to sell the fight without Whyte's help , so he quite cleverly said this is my last fight last chance to see me in action & boom it sold out ,

In the weeks leading up he had talked about becoming undisputed and sticking around, He has bee entraining every day since the fight & hasn;t handed over the belt, it was a gimmick to sell tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Of course it was but anyone with a brain could see that.

On another note did any of you see the bit with Julius Francis? Any thoughts

He's being well defended.....

The chap was far far bigger than the lad walking towards him....he did not need to use such force, and that could have killed that man.

He's a former HW pro boxer....his hands/skills/capabilities (along with his large size/weight) against the clearly smaller man....well

Yep, a spoofer.....and all the talk about people's champion and nothing to do with the money and all that gick......

• Advertisement

He should have dealt with it differently, but the lad had literally just been throwing punches at people & then raised his hand to Francis so its his own fault,

The problem with incidents like that are if he bangs his head on the concrete on the way down you could be looking at murder/manslaughter charge all over nothing, Terrible waste of life for everyone involved ,

Yep that;s my way of thinking. I’m not sure he was really posing a serious threat at any stage. Even just prior to the Francis punch he had a mini altercation and didn’t really even throw a punch but took a bit of a shot. His friend was if anything more aggressive. The other bouncers were walking them down and getting them out successfully. He’d turned to leave at that stage and raised his hand rather than threw it. I’m puzzled as to what legitimate reason Francis would have for walking out round the outside to meet him head on. A bit of a dig in the gut etc that would put him down I can see into but for me that far exceeded reasonable force in order to defend oneself.

Ye agree,

Just one thing the reason Francis walked around the other side is door security 101 ,

The lad walked out around the barrier with the bouncers the other side,& thus feels "safe" & will 9 times out of 10 more aggressive ,

As he feels the barrier is protecting him & he can lean in throw something and run off,

So Francis does what he should and also goes the other side of the barrier & behind him but not right behind gives him room , makes the bloke think twice about doing something ,

Remember the bouncer duty is not just to protect his other door men but to members of the public who walk up to the pub or even past it

I see Steve Bunce making it up as he goes along again. Gorman was not the favourite against Dubois.

He blew over a Czech in a round tonight. Big wow.

Him and Wardley would be a good watch but we wont get that for a while I doubt. He’ll likely do what Dubois did and fight a blown up yank.

Aye he’s fulla ****!!

how would that fight be? Joyce is just too

easy to hit for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Bunce is insufferable, shouting over people and always trying to make his voice heard.

I also don't think he's the most knowledgeable guy either. Most of the stuff he says are very generic, and the times he does try to be a bit more technical he usually gets it wrong.

His cackling laugh is a real pet peeve too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭megadodge

"I also don't think he's the most knowledgeable guy either"

You couldn't be more wrong.

Like him or not, and I admit I found him hard to put up with in the beginning, he really knows his stuff. His column in Boxing News every week is a genuine treasure trove of obscure boxing information. Stuff you simply will not hear about anywhere else. That column is now probably my favourite part of an outstanding publication.

Aug 20 seems pencilled in now for AJ/Usyk 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Must be getting huge money to be going to Saudi?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Wonder will golden boy AJ get the same treatment from the press that the golfers have all got recently or is it ok to take the Saudi money in a dirty sport like boxing ?

8 weeks this Saturday....won't feel that fly by!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Will Joshua do what he did with Ruiz 2 and stick behind his jab ?

Is the gap between the fighters so big that AJ cannot win ?

Is this win or bust for AJ ?

AJ in fight 2 v Ruiz was very gunshy and cautious and careful.

he was very similar v Usyk, so this won’t cut it vs Usyk. AJ has to be effectively aggressive and effectively physical and impose his larger self on the smaller Usyk, and of course, let his fooking hands go with proper speed, power and extension-commitment.

as for win or bust. Depends how one defines bust. He will clearly lose value/appreciation/stock if Usyk beats him a second time. If he wins, he’ll redeem himself somewhat, but it’s still just a big man beating a smaller man.

If he sticks behind the jab like Ruiz two that is accepting defeat before the fight starts ,

His jab will be important but he needs to use it to set up attacks not as defensive weapon for 12 rounds,

AJ needs to get close and put himself on Usyk , he needs the fight to take place inside the pocket and he needs to accept he will take few shot & to gun Usyk ,

I honestly think that is the biggest thing here, AJ since Ruiz 1 has bee afraid of taking shots, & his only way to beat Usyk is to take some to get his own off, He can NOT outbox him he needs to out gun him,

Not 100% sure if AJ is afraid of taking the actually shots or afraid of tiring, but he certainly is not comfortable being hit, Its the biggest difference between himself & Fury , You can clearly see AJ stiffen up & panic when he is in range or getting hit that uses energy , Fury flows with it remains calm, as he likes to say you can't take a shower & not get wet,

Joshua needs to get mean and bully Usyk who couldn’t be as strong as him. Throw him around and get a point deducted if he can, pull his arms and make it dirty. If he can slow him down he can get a ko. I dont see a way he can win on points. Plenty of shots to arms and chest early on, let Usyk know he’s not soft. Usyk might just be too good for him but at least go out with a game plan that gives him the best chance of success. If he gets embarrassed that way then so be it. Last time out he went at it with such little ambition. In the first round when Usyk was banging him with the back hand I think it took his heart out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Problem is though that it was Usyk who was stronger in the clinch in the first fight. He bullied Joshua in close. Joshua doesn't have the tools to win a fight mauling up close.

So true although AJ is a bigger more explosive powerful man he isn't a great inside fighter,

Infact the Ruiz 1 ko has him absolutely terrified of fighting on the inside, I'v no question that why he decided to fight how he did against Usyk ,

Chisora who is not near top level gave Usyk problems by being on top of him and not letting him breath , Its mental because the only thing Chisora has over AJ is the stubbornness & bravery to just keep barrelling forward,

The reason i think Fury beats Usyk is he can do both box & make it ugly & he also can switch it up mid fight,

AJ knew his plan wasn't working & didn't have the ability to change id fight,,

I think big issue for AJ in regards his size and us saying he should use his size and weight is his actual confidence, or lack thereof. yourdeadwright has made these succinct points.

It's like he freezes and tenses up when up close, which really affects his ability to be strong and his ability to show his 245 lbs against a clearly smaller man

Usyk is not some monster....he's 210 lbs and is strong. But nothing exceptional.

AJ and his fear of getting tagged and hurt really seems to have spilled into all areas of him as a boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What's Fury going to do in the meantime, probably looking at December before any unification fight, will he fight in the meantime and will the US ban affect him?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Usyk is going to win this one with ease.

Joshua has to be more aggressive and a boxer as skilled as Usyk will just pick him off.

Ridiculous that this is happening in Saudi. Greed from all concerned. They are already all fantasically rich.

Great stare-down between the pair a them......can see it on Eddie's Insta!

Does Usyk look to have lost some condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Joshua would give you a pain in your hole with his 3 time world champion talk , it’s not as if it’s something to brag about losing to Ruiz and a cruiser weight, I reckon usyk will beat him again, joshua has the air of a fella trying to convince himself he can win.

I don't think its possible for him to be in the same shape as he was last time,

He spent 2 months at war & couldn't train properly and had worked hard for 2 years to add muscle to become a heavy weight ,,

I can't see how he can possibly be in the same shape,

• Advertisement

The fight is 8 weeks away, lads. Usyk will be in fighting shape come Aug 20. I mean, what shape was he in July, 2021, 8 weeks before fight 1?

Advertisement