Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Vesperia is a great game, shining resonance meh it was ok what I played of it but I gave up half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Ses the Snitch is now hinting at FFVIIR coming to MS Store, Xbox, Switch and Steam. This account has been the source of most of the major leaks over the last 2 weeks.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

They're all stand alone aren't they?

Appreciate it! I only know people who've played one or the other so worth asking. I didn't anything else on there either I had it already even on system or wasn't one I wanted

I'll check again anyway but try to add to wishlist often

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Literally never heard a good thing said about Shining Resonance refrain. I think I enjoyed Vespria but pretty sure I quit just before the final dungeon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yup tales games are all stand alone so you can jump right in, from what I can remember I found shining very grindy.

• Advertisement

I just realised I mixed it up with Resonance of Fate! Which I think people liked but had to stick it out

hahah oh right well I've never played that but its on my wish list as well.

Labyrinth of Galleria finally got announced for an English release. Really enjoyed Labyrinth of Refrain so I'll be on board for this one.

I still have  Labyrinth of Refrain waiting to be played, is LoR tough ? I'd love to see the switch get an etrian odyssey game.

As DRPG's go probably not? Its the only one I've ever beaten actually. Its straightforward enough once you get your head round your characters aren't you characters in the traditional way. They are more like 'equipment' you put into team slots called 'pacts' that define your abilities in battle. Its sounds complicated but actually means its in some ways easier than usual as you can quickly reconfigure your entire team without grinding stats.

• Advertisement

I picked up Vesperia in the end along with Digimon, Gnosia and Y2K A Post Modern RPG

Yup complete edition was e11.99, my friend liked it who's also a Persona fan so I'd said I'd try it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bought metal max xeno reborn on the PC. Seems to be a weird remake where the development team ran out of resources half way through. Have always been interested in the metal max games, a jrpg based around tank combat in a completely open world sandbox.

Anyway the development team downsized during development and cancelled the planned sequel. Reborn apparently revamps the combat engine into something much better and faster. But the game also cuts out large chunks of the original game and the vast majority of the story. So there's no definitive verison of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jesus they really know how to stretch things thin in the FF7 Remake. I spent last night running around sector 7 slums doing side quests then a motorcycle minigame and then went topside to visit Jessies mum. In the original game you had the option to go to the beginners room for a short tutorial, went to the bar and ended up going on the second bombing mission within the space of 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yeah, it's great but the story is a load of crap that adds nothing. Doesn't help that they rely heavily on the forced slow crawl through walls etc to hide loading, really wish you could speed up movement here if the game has already loaded the next section.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One of the worst-paced games I've ever played. Just slows to an absolute crawl during the dungeons in particular. I'd probably have quit a third of the way through if it wasn't for the combat system - a bright spot in a bad game.

I am enjoying it. It's just everything seems to take twice as long as it should. I'm well done with areas by the halfway point.

Fell of FF7R myself though I do intend to go back to it. I don't play a huge amount of AAA and for some reason I think I find looking at such high fidelity games exhausting somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

if part 2 is more of that filler of fighting repetitively i'm not playing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

To be honest, it comes far more into it's own when you do hard mode and ignore the story parts

Been playing Tales of Arise and forgot how much I enjoy these games. About 60 hours in and am sure I'm close to the end game but I do enjoy the slow but steady grind to be able to beat enemies that are super powered throughout the game. As usual though, the story is absolutely bonkers :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Spoke too soon ;) They're all coming to Switch, Persona 5 Royal included.

Perfect platform for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I am absolutely delighted that P5 Royal is finally coming to Switch! October 21 and will be an insta-buy for me!!

Playing trails 3 atm, about 50 hours in and only on ch 2, what a great game, I love how they characters from other games showing up and being mentioned, I'm really looking forward to The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero when it releases in September, the crossbell arc.

Trails 3 might be my favourite of the trilogy even though it's more an epilogue. Just loved Kevin and Reis as protagonists and it was much better paced than the first two which could drag a little.

Trails in the Sky 3rd probably is my favourite too even though as its said its really an expanded epilogue.

Also I've finally accepted I'm not bothered trying to finish Yakuza 2 Kiwami and I'm just going to go ahead and skip to Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

Post edited by megaten on

I played it after only a little of the first game and I missed nothing really. It's such a good game as well.

• Advertisement

Ah, I'm 5 games and one spin off behind so!

Advertisement