Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Now that’s a very very good point. History could well repeat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It's really mad how things have ended up where they are with Russia. He was the great white hope of the Obama presidency "reset with Russia" foreign policy at one point if I recall (during period when Putin let him take over the wheel while he drove from the back seat). Now he's spouting this abuse/insults + nonsense like a good propagandist!

Jesus that’s impressive, do you have a link or anything to this, I’d like to know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

The comment was specifically in reply someone rubbing their hands at the idea of making big bucks from trading on the Rubble via USDRUB

And whilst individuals paying their home heating bills are not making a profit out of doing so, the money they pay to utilities eventually will end up in the pockets of Putin and his cronies where that gas is being supplied from Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Individual people powering their homes via Russian carbon fuels have little enough choice in what their utility provider sources.

Those trading off the back of Russian currency rates are making deliberate choices and are pure scum. With their hands dipped in blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The US and allied nations routed the Taliban and could rout any nation without a nuclear weapon tomorrow if they elected to do so. If you took nukes off the table, the US with a few hangers on would have Putin strung up in Red Square by the feet in a few short months. Don't be deluded.

They got mired in an endless nation building project in a backwards tribal mountain nation. The purpose of the American military isn't to teach Pashtun tribesmen how to be fuzzy democratic Swedes, but that's what the politicians tasked them with.

I dont think you know the difference between insurgents and conventional warfare,either

Ask your self why Baghdad and Iraq fell in 3 weeks instead

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It happened over an oilfield

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Khasham&ved=2ahUKEwjR_7yL9bH4AhUHacAKHWHuAJMQFnoECE0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw1z6D5J8OizO4PDzCADiDYV

Slava Ukrainii

Thanks for that, NYT is behind a paywall but found same article here: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/battle-syria-us-russian-mercenaries-commandos-islamic-state-a8370781.html

ok so that was 2018 in Syria, they also had serious air support but still very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

I’d posit that it’s not so much the equipment but the Command & Control and leadership capabilities that were the deciding factor. Iraq in particular had a very centralised C2 system, both prior to Desert Storm and afterwards. One of the major surprises that came out of Desert Storm was how quickly that system collapsed, first for the air defense forces and later for the ground forces. Back when I was younger, I read a book called “Every Man a Tiger”, the memoirs of USAF General Chuck Horner, the architect of the air war against Iraq during Desert Storm. It is naturally slanted towards the US viewpoint, but he clearly describes that during the planning phase, USAF planners expected KARI, the Iraqi integrated air defense system, to be a threat much longer than it actually was. When the system effectively collapsed within the first week of concentrated air strikes, it led to a lot of confused commanders in Coalition headquarters in Riyadh.

It was a similar story on the ground. Whilst I’m not an expert on ground warfare and so am naturally open to correction by users who are more experienced in that field, it seems to me that Coalition success at the Battle of 73 Easting during the ground phase of Desert Storm, whilst certainly helped by superior western equipment, was due to better reconnaissance, coordination and leadership, with US tank and even scout units regularly surprising unprepared Iraqi units. To me, the descriptions of said battle read like Iraqi units were waiting for orders from further on high, while Coalition units were routinely able to act on their own initiative and take advantage of opportunities on the battlefield.

This goes back to something I’ve said repeatedly in other posts here. Whilst equipment is of course a key factor on a modern battlefield, training, leadership and tactical freedom are equally important. When on-scene commanders, be they the COs of brigades, companies, or even platoon leaders, have the tactical training to recognise an opportunity, and the freedom to exploit that opportunity without having to wait for orders to go all the way up to division or even theatre HQ, this will carry just as much weight as having a few extra tanks. That is something the Russians are lacking and that the Ukrainians have learned the hard way. We’ve seen it time and time again in this war, small fireteams taking advantage of openings on the battlefield and exploiting them right then and there, often inflicting outsize casualties on the Russians.

I just hope that Ukrainian leadership hasn’t fallen into the trap of trying to micromanage the war, now that Kyiv is out of the direct firing line, and giving the Russians the type of fight that suits Russian doctrine. With some of the news that I’m hearing out of Severodonetsk, it comes across that way at times.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Trading USDRUB isn't "covering my hands on the blood of Ukrainians", I'm not investor in many of the western arms companies, unlike say many of the politicians who are sending weapons to Ukraine.

I'd like to see end of hostilities, as I've said multiple times, for moral reasons and that would be a very tradeable event too.

Otc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

a reminder, Russia is not 'all in' yet, still many forces deployed in Syria and elsewhere

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 18,499 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Medvedev sounds like some cheap hack writing for the Sun or the Daily Express. It's amazing to think this is a former "president" speaking - they're a nation of yobs.

And Alexander Macron wept, seeing as he had no more worlds to conquer surrender.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Yeah I just realised it was behind a paywall but I was able to read it without a subscription the first time for some reason. Anyway as "Bass Reeves" mentioned above the wagners group were trying to take an oilfield. Some other things I had heard were that thee Marines had spent some hours literally begging the Russians to withdraw or not to attack, not out of fear but out of confidence in their own ability to destroy. They did not want to slaughter the Russians but were left with no choice and then about 30 minutes into the intense counter attack the Russians were on the radio to the Marines begging them to stop.

On paper it was an armoured Russian/Syrian Battlegroup of 500 with T72 tanks vs a platoon of Marines and Commandos, but everything about the Russian army is on paper. They do not do combined arms, the Marines brought artillery and airpower down on them and destroyed them in minutes. That is what would happen if Russian sent an army into Poland/Lativia/Lithuania/Finland/Norway/Bulgaria if they are not capable of protecting skies in Ukraine from MIG29s they would be slaughtered when they try go up against Eurofighter/F16s/F35s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

The big question is how many of these forces, and the forces of other military districts, can Russia transfer to Ukraine without fatally weakening their position in those areas? Syria, apart from anything else, is the location of Tartus naval base, the only port currently open to the Russian Mediterranean Fleet and those assets of the Black Sea Fleet that were caught out when Turkey closed the Straits a few months ago. They’ll need to keep a significant amount of ground and air assets in that country to ensure the stability of the Assad regime, so there’s an upper limit to how many men, how many helicopters, and how much equipment can be transferred.

We have a similar issue with pulling units from other military districts. Sure, it’s a possibility and has been happening for some time, but once again, there’s an upper limit. A number of Russia’s border regions are restive, not least in the Caucasus and Central Asia. A large troop presence is needed in those regions to keep the situation there under control. In Central Asia specifically, they will also need to keep a certain amount of “expeditionary” forces ready to go in case the likes of Kazakhstan get any “ideas” about pulling out of Russia’s orbit.

I get the point you’re trying to make, and it’s certainly a valid one, but I believe it deserves to be followed up by the caveat that Russia’s resources are not as bottomless as they once were, that said resources can be exhausted, and that the Ukrainians are doing their level best to make that happen.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

If the USA employed Russian military tactics they could have decimated the Taliban, alas they'd also have committed war crimes along the lines of the Russians where thousands/millions (see deportee numbers) have been murdered. They Americans, at least, have more of a conscience than the Russians invading Ukraine. That cannot be denied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

translation:

"Surrealism. Citizens of the Russian Federation from the Free Russia Legion fighting for Ukraine captured Ukrainian citizens from the LDNR formations fighting for Russia"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,499 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Though not necessarily a waste as such. These are brave young men fighting to save their homeland and protect their families and neighbours from an evil regime....they unfortunately know the score and that their efforts may result in their own deaths. I would liken them to the heroes of D-Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

It's such an old lesson that it's almost surprising now that all armies don't do it: train the troops well and encourage small-unit initiative. While the Germans in WW2 are often thought of as having been mindlessly obedient automatons under the Nazis, in fact individual initiative was very much encouraged. While orders in the Allied armies tended to be quite prescriptive e.g. "attack the village at this time, from this direction, in this formation", German orders were much more mission-oriented e.g. "take the village by 0800"; the local commander on the spot being left to work out the details himself, since he was the closest to the situation and knew the ground best. Known as "auftragstaktik" (in the west as "Mission Command"), this is one of the things that made the Germans so effective in the attack and on the defence, and was the approach also used by Napoleon when issuing orders.

Also...

One of the things that emerged from our study of operations on the Western Front and in Italy in World War II was that there was a consistent superiority of German ground troops to American and British ground troops. As a retired American army officer this didn’t particularly please me, but I can’t deny what my numbers tell me. … In combat units, one hundred Germans in mid-1944 were the equivalent of somewhere around 125 American or British soldiers. … At about the same time a hundred Germans were the equivalent of about 250 Russians. … Now this doesn’t mean that the average German was any more intelligent, any braver, any stronger, any more motivated than the average Russian, but it means that when they were put together in combat units … the Germans used their weapons and equipment 2.5 times better than did the Russians.

- Col. T. N. Dupuy, USA (ret’d), director, Historical Evaluation and Research Organization, Washington, D.C.

These factors appear to be in play in Ukraine at the moment. Let's hope that if they are, the Ukrainians don't let their advantage slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In a war between America and Russia the largest killer of American troops would be accidents.

The Russians killed about 1 in 3 Afghan men in the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

The analogy I was speaking of would not even involve US troops. European Nato troops are trained to pretty much the same standard and with pretty much the same leadership and equipment. Russians and Ukrainians are testing one anothers armies to the limits.

European NATO troops would destroy any Russian invasion without US troops. "Burgerface"s rereg is living in a 1975 fantasy world regarding the ability of the Russian Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Nope. Most ordinary people do not engage in currency trading + speculation, let alone going out of their way to somehow trade in Rouble, pretty much to try and make a "killing" off the ongoing war (it's not so easy as far as I understand from the media - is that incorrect?). Ordinary people do not have the luxury of deciding where the energy they use comes from + how it is produced. Good luck to you in the effort to get your own personal energy supply sorted if you are not in Ireland + in a country where the Russian gas is a big part of the heating/energy generation mix.

• Advertisement

Yes I too was very taken at how hard they tried to get the Russians to withdraw, any idea why Russia has only deployed an estimated 75 fighter jets out of the supposed thousands they have?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement