Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So you are confirming to us that you're pulling these assertions out of your rear end. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The alternative is to take what you say in good faith and since you've tried to shut down discussion by saying that Irish people shouldn't be allowed to criticize the English because you like what the government is doing, this is impossible.

This is why sources are required.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Not against refugees but refugees who come here to live off the state.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well yeah, if you're going makeo sweeping claims about what people do or don't think on a subject - then yes 100% some kinda barometer is useful because you can only talk for yourself. I'd never be so arrogant as to presume to know a nation's thoughts on anything that didn't have some kind of indicator.

"If I'm wrong..." uhhh. How can I possibly show this then if sources are nonsense to your eyes? Ya know, the one thing that might come close to showing what a populous does or doesn't think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The number of people entering the UK to claim asylum has actually increased since the Rwanda policy was announced, so it doesn't really make sense to suggest that an increase in asylum applications here is down to that same policy. Especially when there is another obvious explanation - the opening of international travel post-Covid leading to a glut of applications across Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would think that most people who are against refugees have never met one.

Racism has its origins in ignorance, and is based on fear of the unknown. The more you mix with other people from diverse backgrounds, the more you realise that people are much the same the world over. There are those who are inwardly happy, and those that are not; those that are generous and those that are not,; and those who are satisfied with their lot and those that are not.

Migrants mostly have a positive, outward approach which makes them a nice bunch to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Long time lurker here, I seldom comment, but that's a poor post and sort of sums up the brexiter/anti immigrant view. What you're basically saying is the brits don't want immigrants or longer council lists so that somehow makes it ok to ship real immigrants to a third world country with suspect treatment of same.

You may have a point that UK people don't want too many immigrants or long council lists, but that's a stretch to suggest a majority of UK people support this tory policy. My opinion would be most UK people would welcome a reasonable number of legitimate refugees and their frustration about council lists would exist even if there were no immigrants on the list and they would be against this cruel treatment of legitimate refugees. It's not unreasonable to think the UK would interview and filter out the economic migrants and have them sent back to where they came.

What did the UK think was going to happen post brexit, that France would stop these people travelling to the UK ? why would they do that, the UK are no longer a member so a problem leaving France for the UK is good news for France, the UK should have geared up for this eventuality, they had years to prepare. It's not like the UK takes a larger share of immigrants when compared to Eu countries, they were responsible for causing this problem with their foreign policy over the past 50yrs, time to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Refugees are refugees and most Irish people are happy or at worse nonchalant about us helping people in need.

And seeing as this is the British politics thread that you are trying to burrow your rabbitholes in let me add that the majority of British people in my experience are also happy to help refugees and are not at all happy about the UK plan to ship people to Rwanda or the pitiful Ukrainian refugee plan.

Can you imagine what 12-year-old you would think if he knew he'd grow up into a cranky old right-winger whose hobby was going online and complaining about refugees.

It's an exceptionally pathetic existence. Do you have no shame about how your life took so many wrong turns to end up in the shlthole its in now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Precisely.

Sadly, I can't remember the man's name but I went to a talk in London given by a Syrian refugee who'd been tortured by the Assad regime. He'd had all of his limbs broken at one stage. It was horrific. I love London. I've had haircuts from a Kurd, I rent from a Mauritian and I work with Europeans and non-Europeans. Cultural conservatism sounds like a miserable ideology to me.

Of course, limits to wealth, resources and generosity exist. It's sad to see the Tory party embrace the worst aspects of the British character in a desperate attempt to stave off electoral death.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You suspect incorrectly. But either way, it's not policy here. No need to deflect. You can discuss this substantive point easily enough without bringing up any other country including Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

To be a refugee arriving in a foreign state with the sole intention of living off the state shows an attitude that would be the opposite of most refugees.

They are mainly intent in getting away from the dreadful situation they are fleeing from, rather than their prospects in the state they have arrived in. Once they arrive, they intend to learn the language and customs, and making connections to make their future life not just subsistence (living off the state) but above the norms they see around them and then getting to a position where they can work hard to achieve that. Look at how many show their enterprise by starting businesses that thrive.

They do not all achieve this, but they have the ambition to achieve this.

Another day, another pile of crap from hotmail.com.

I'm sure you'll toddle off now for another few weeks after being handed your racist and xenophobic ass by Capaill?

Personal insults. And you haven't even bothered to understand what I was saying.

What you've been saying is the same tedious sophistry conservatives the world over have spouted since time immemorial. It's understood by all. If you want better engagement, I suggest you put in some effort.

H. H. Asquith

I have not expressed my view in this at all.

I'm merely trying to convey the reality of the refugee problem in the UK.

The Brits don't want them.

If it were the reality, you'd have something more rigorous than these empty soundbytes. It isn't so this is all you have. There is no refugee problem that the UK hasn't manufactured to placate the worst people in this country.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

By what evidence ie real unbias data like independent polling etc can you categorically state that the brits dont want them?

Have you been living under a rock the last few years?

We have posters now defending British people when for years we've been hearing how anti immigrant they've become.

And again no evidence. Just a bigoted portrayal of English people.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Im not defending anyone im simply asking for something to back up your statement that "the brits dont want them" from your deflection im guessing you don't have anything

It does look like now you're defending British people by saying they DO want refugees.

I don't think they do. All the evidence from the last few years, which has been said on here, suggests they no longer want large immigration coming into their country.

Where is this evidence?

You're just repeating the same Anglophobic trope over and over again.

H. H. Asquith

LOL deflect deflect deflect ehh? If you've nothing to back up your statement then just admit it.

It's not reality. As always you just engage in this forum in multiple threads acting like you know what the public think and usually get your ass handed to you and then disappear for a few weeks.

Honestly, your tenacity would be commendable if you weren't a conservative xenophobe.

Obviously posters here believe Britain is a welcoming nation to refugees.

I don't know what I was doing suggesting otherwise.

I'll try not to criticise Britain again.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is not a refugee problem in the UK. What there is is the result of years of doing very little to deal with immigration (whilst claiming that they were not allowed to do anything), all the while letting immigration become politicissed by racist vermin and then eventually deciding that they would ship many immigrants to Rwanda after those immigrants arrived in Britain "illegally" because the legal routes were removed.

So you're going to lie about what posters here say when we can get the truth by scrolling up and then get surprised when people here place very little value on your word.

H. H. Asquith

None of us said anything of the sort were all just wondering if you can back up your claims. It seems like as usual though you arent able to so im guessing we can expect you to disappear for a week or two until you hope this massive embarrassment has been forgotten so you can jump in again with some new baseless nonsense?

• Advertisement

The refugee problem stemming from Calais. The Rwanda policy is designed to stop refugees crossing the Channel.

Advertisement