Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think justice was served here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 36,362 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The tangential conversation about there not being a case to answer and the DPP doing something “wrong” in pursuing the case is mad btw.

It is absolutely correct that this case was tried as a teenager was stabbed and the people involved had conflicting stories as to why.

I feel for Bento and his family in that, and ideally the process would have been quicker. But we’ve got an outcome that seems highly logical to most people, this is the system working as it is suppose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There was absolutely zero path for a murder conviction in this case, none.

The only thing I can think of is self defence law and case examples are still in it's relative infancy and the DPP were not brave enough to call it before going to trial, leaving it up the Judge and Jury.

The prosecution during the trial were all over the place, the key evidence was it was filmed, their frame by frame narrative of what they tried to paint happened was at best incompetent probably dishonest. The defence didn't even have to refute, the Judge did it for them.

So their case then hinged on painting Mr Bento as a hard man hell bent on finding trouble although conceded he was fully entitled to try and retrieve the stolen bike. 🙄

They did their best downplay the atmosphere and danger of the area by labelling what had happened before as 'low level aggression', things like delivery drivers being constantly assaulted, robbed, intimated and things like rocks being thrown at them. I wasn't in the room but I imagine they had well lost it at that point.

This nonsense was further compounded by the calling of the witness Garda Superintendent Paul Costello who actually gave a flavour of how the dangerous the area was particularly for essential workers.

He said the incident was one of a number of violent events that occurred in close proximity. These included the death of a woman who was stabbed at the IFSC just six days before Josh Dunne died, the stabbing of a man – who was lucky to survive – at nearby Seville Place, and the death of Deliveroo cyclist Thiago Cortes in a hit-and-run on North Wall Quay in August 2020.

The witness said another Deliveroo driver (Francisco Tertuliano de Oliviera Neto, known as 'Neto') had been attacked in the Finglas area of Dublin in February 2019 when he stopped a vehicle to ask for directions and was subsequently assaulted by a group of males. The cyclist suffered a broken nose, and his phone and food were taken, he said.

Supt Costello said there was concern in the community because of these incidents and that his attention was drawn to the targeting of food-delivery drivers who felt unsafe in the course of their work.

He also volunteered this unreported piece.

Separately, the court also heard that another Deliveroo driver had passed the scene of where a vigil for Josh Dunne was taking place and had been attacked

What were the prosecution thinking? 😕

He got Bail and recently had the conditions relaxed so he could go on a Jolly with his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement

That were lifted temporarily?

A SENIOR barrister charged with murder has had his bail terms relaxed so he can take a “short trip” with his family. A court today temporarily lifted residency and curfew bail conditions for Diarmuid Rossa Phelan (53), who is accused of killing a man in a shooting on farmland in Dublin

Nice for him and his family to get away to destress. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The only real evidence the prosecution had was that George was carrying a knife. When they conseeded he was legally entitled to try to recover the bike then it was a manslaughter case at best. However it seems that there was visual evidence he only produced it when the thief reached threatening into his back pocket. He then replaced the knife into his pocket and only took it out again when the assault happened.

As well both George and his friend tried to retreat from the scene.

Slava Ukrainii

He and his friends initiated a fierce and physically dangerous confrontation and the men they jumped were forced to fight for their lives in response. What happens from there spirals out of control very quickly.

If you attack a man and force him to defend himself by any means necessary whatever resistance you receive in return in that moment is deserved. If every time a bunch of scumbag teenagers hopped on an unassuming member of the public they met this type of resistance and one of their number lost their life as a result, my guess is the amount of times scumbag teenagers behaved this way would drop towards zero.

The reality is scumbag teenagers like Josh Dunne who engage in this type of behaviour have been getting off the hook for their actions forever. Not this time.

It was also noted the guy they confronted who stole the bike was an extremely dangerous individual with a long history of criminality and violence.

The Jury rightfully asked why this individual was not present during the case to give evidence.

The Judge quite forcefully told them that their was no explanation forthcoming and they had to try the case on the evidence that was presented.

The prosecution didn’t put him on the stand because they would have guaranteed a loss of the case there and then.

Like the more you get into it, the clearer it becomes that not guilty was the only justifiable outcome.

• Advertisement

I doubt the DPP withheld a key witness, that would potentially get the trial thrown out. The defence would be able to compel him anyway.

More likely given what we know about him he would have been a hostile witness and not worth the effort, the defence certainly didn't need him.

I imagine also or I hope he is soon to be on trial for viciously assaulting the 2 riders in this case. Maybe the anger the family feel can be directed in the right direction.

The Jury were right to ask the question though, an answer may yet be forthcoming.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The fact that the man who instigated everything hasn’t been named tells me it’s because he’s already before the courts. That could either be for a matter relating to this or for another matter entirely.

Apparently his list of previous convictions etc is sizeable.

Weren't some of the other "witnesses" also charged in relation to this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

I still cant wrap my head around what some of you are saying, a child was killed by a man who had no business carrying a knife around, what sort of coward goes around with a knife and stabs a child??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭monseiur

Technically he's guilty of manslaughter, had there been a scuffle and he, say, picked up a length of steel pipe and whacked the vermin over the head and killed him (in self defence) that would be totally different. But in this instance, after months of harrasment, he went after then (determined to retrive a bike) armed with a knife. Had he killed more than one, which could have happened under the circumstances, would the verdict be different ? He has served his sentence in more ways than one, he's a young determined man with a work ethic unlike the wasters he had to face on his daily rounds, hope he rebuilds his life in a safer enviorment.

A man that is getting his head punched off by said "child" as he tries to save his friend from being beaten to death.

This isn't a very hard one to wrap your head around to be fair.

Technically he's guilty of manslaughter

Nope. Technically and in reality he is not guilty on all 4 charges. His presumption of innocence (which he wasn't really afforded) remains in tact.

If he had killed the guy that stole the bike at the time of that confrontation then maybe you may have a point, but that didn't happen.

He lawfully killed a person in self defence, no crime took price, technically or otherwise. Whether he used a knife, pipe or his fists makes absolutely no difference, they was a grave threat to him and his friends safety.

Imagine if his friend was killed but he had a weapon and refused to use it?

Well, I definitely can't wrap my head around what you're saying. A 16-year-old isn't a "child" by most people's definition, first off. Secondly, the 16-year-old and his mates initiated a deadly conflict and were indiscriminately kicking and punching the two men they outnumbered. And making them fear for their lives. Like what nonsense are you even implying here? That Josh Dunne and his friends should have been allowed to kick and punch the two Brazilians to their heart's content with no consequences?

You seem to think it's "unfair" that he and his friends just messed with a man capable of defending himself and his friend with more force. Tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

First off, you are libelling him. He's been found not guilty of anything, not even assault, not even unlawful possession of a knife.

Secondly you are either totally unfamiliar with the detailed reports of the case or are reading them completely selectively. He and his friend didn't go after the teenage gang, they went after him and his friend, for no reason whatsoever except they saw a local headbanger getting justifiably confronted by a couple of 'foringers' and they decided to get involved and use unprovoked violence.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If Josh and his friends hadn't mob attacked the 2 delivery men, if the level of assault they engaged in was not exceptional, as shown in the CCTV then Josh would still be alive.

Self inflicted. It was just another battering of a delivery man for a bike and he paid the full price this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Definitely the right decision made, though sad that any young life is lost, even though it seems the teen was a proper sumbag.....he might have grown out of it before doing any real harm.

There really needs to be changes made to the system though. We are at endemic levels of youth gang violence. We constantly hear about teens intimidating and attacking vulnerable members of the public, or having massive gang fights in the summer with all sorts of weapons. So many of these scrotes are left to be raised by the streets and will in almost all cases be drains of the public finances and dangers to the public. It's been getting worse year in, year out and is particularly bad in the city centre.

I used to do food deliveries in the eastwall area on a moped years back. It was strongly advised to never leave the bike out of arms reach because the scum of the area would have it in a second. Common problem 20 years ago and worse now. The parents of these scummers are no better, having never worked an honest day in their lives and never set any example for their kids. I remember I was delivering a pizza to the Clarence street area near the 5 lamps. I had pulled up right at the door and as I was handing the pizza over to the chap in the house, a half dozen 8-10 year olds had taken a break from smashing beer bottles on the ground and managed to slip a large pizza out of the back of the box on my bike and ran off with it. They had cut the seal of the box (presumably with a blade) and grabbed what was left in the box. This was after midnight and their parents were nowhere to be seen. The chap at the door just said "ye have to watch the little b@stards here" and closed his door. I'm sure most of them are either in jail, or dead now...but their spawn are most certainly doing the same or worse with 100+ convictions reached before they hit adulthood.

Stay Free

One who was physically assaulted by 4 men who is entitled to defend himself

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

What's the fascination in referring to the attacker by his first name all the time?

Josh this...Josh that ...poor child...

Ffs...bleeding hearts.

Lefties are just Conservative who haven't have the crap kicked out of them by a bunch of thugs yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,992 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is that who this "rip josh" posts are all about? Fcuk that noise, piece of scum got what he deserved.

That brazilian guy should never have to buy a drink again.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

yeah, lucky. I'd rather not rely on luck for my continued existed if I am capable of doing something about it.

Id rather take a beating than stab a teenager to death , thats just me tho.

Post edited by rogerywalters on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Advertisement