Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2022 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yeah there's that!!!!! I'd wonder how much the team would be willing to ride for intermediates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Heard an interesting point on LRCP, that the sprint points for the green jersey are more spread out this year, in that there are the same green jersey points available at the end of lumpy medium mountain stages, or ones with a small punch at the end, as there are for the pure flat stages. They used to be weighted to the flat stages to keep the sprinters interested but are going the other way this year.

The intermediate sprints are also generally in the middle or the start after a few hills as well. So the green jersey suits someone who can climb well and be there or thereabouts in reduced sprints - WVA, Sagan if he is in form etc

I assume this is a tactic to get a WvA vs MvP battle going for green which ASO know would be good press.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,266 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

its the way it’s been for a few years. It’s how Sagan kept on winning the green jersey by maybe winning one stage a year. Suited the fellas who could get up into those punchuer type stages they introduced a while back

the year Sam won I think there was five sprinter days. Last year there were loads. That was the outlier year and it’s back to 4/5 this year

• Advertisement

The last few years it was changed specifically to stop the likes of Sagan. Points were weighted towards flat stage winners and lowered in other places.

This year could be more like the Vuelta Valverde (green) jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What's the terrain like for Stage 2 of Tour of Belgium today, is a sprint finish likely?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Flat as a pancake

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭happytramp

Ramp up the last 100m but can't imagine it'll bother anyone.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Jumbo-Visma out of Suisse due to covid

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

That's a bit of a disaster for Kuss & Dennis's TDF preparation/audition

Adam Yates positive too.

That’s not true. Look at the stages Alaphilipe and MVP won last year. Both worth 50 points. Same as the sprints

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

8 km to go in Tour of Slovenia Stage 2. Live on GCN

That was a messy sprint. BEX couldn't keep control at the front. When Groenewegen did eventually hit the front, it was very obvious that he was the quickest, and he won it easily

I was hoping for Bardiani there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The start list for La Route D'Occitanie has plenty of World Tour teams for a 2.1. Some promotion/relegation thinking going on you'd imagine. Ben Healy is there anyway for some Irish interest.

Jez Cox mentioned at the start Israel were a late addition at D'Occitanie in that they weren't on the start list he printed out in preparation last night. They sent Woods there hoping for points .

Ended in a sprint today with Demare taking it without any problems, some sketchy marshalling there it looked to me. Need to watch it back but looked on the right before the roundabouts a side road without a marshal and a car and van waiting to come out.

Oh Remco out the back, wow.

• Advertisement

The sweat pissing out of Hule there, Finally a cyclist who sweats more than I do 😅

DvP who did the sprint in Belgium, second place.

Quick step did a lot of work for Jacobsen there and he gave up quite quickly. Was the little ramp there too much for the pure sprinters?

DVP out performing Sam, whatever the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

This really doesn't bode well for Sam after the Bora DS etc were talking up his progress a few weeks ago, saying his progress this year was in line with expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Torrey

I can't see how Bennett goes to the tour now, whatever about his sprint, he hasn't a hope of getting over the mountains.

With regards to Sam and the Tour, a potential saving grace could be that even though DvP has been performing so well, he still hasn't managed to win anything. So Bora could gamble that Sam might eventually find some form and he could be more likely to win a stage, compared to DvP.

Although in saying all of that, if I was the general manager of Bora, I'd forget about Sam and focus purely on Vlasov and bring more domestiques.

He's not going to have the same support to get him in before the time cut either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,729 ✭✭✭✭dahat

At this stage unless something changes bringing Sam to the tour doesn’t make sense or fair to the rider & team. A “Covid diagnosis “ could save face for both.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Vlasov's form certainly doesn't help Sam but then I still have this feeling there is specific line in that contract.

Advertisement