Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Elearia Sand's death sequence was a bit OTT. Not even Han Solo got a send-off that dramatic 🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I dunno. Didn't even look like they were trying to deage or wear masks in some of it. Does he look ancient nowadays or something?

I forgot to mention my reaction to Leia

The second she was up in the box and the attack happened I was like.. uh oh.. are they gonna kill everyone else? The warning screen at the start contributed to the idea for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Was this episode badly lit ? It seemed quite dark looking ? I had to try to adjust my tv…..or maybe I’m dying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Were none of the Storm Troopers thinking "Um, why did you let Obi-Wan go so he could kill more of our men just as Lord Vader was arriving?"

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I wasn't expecting too much after the first three episodes but I have to admit I've been pleasantly surprised by the last two. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Post edited by wingnut32 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Stormtroopers are remarkably stupid, like I'm fairly sure it's cannon. By and large the empire win a lot of their battles simply with superior fire power and numbers. The Emperor would have made sure his stormtroopers are not smart enough to actually cause him any hassle, which is smart when you think about it. It's also one of the reasons he drops the clone army so quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

As far as writing goes I think that episode was the worst - lets all wait til the hangar doors are open before boarding the ship

Vader grounds a ship (has he always had that power?) with no other ships in sight and suddenly there is another ship right behind it

I know Star Wars has never been known for it's scripts or logic but this show has been pretty damn stupid in that area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They were lucky that the big ship in orbit didn't fire on them as they escaped.

So what will Third Sister want with Luke? Does she think she can hurt Anakin using him? If so, why didn't she just use Leia since she apparently knew who she really was.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

"I have him secured inside" wut

should have been 8 eps, if they couldn't fit in what they needed.

Post edited by pjcb on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Just seen episode 4 and 5 and they are by far the worst sci if I’ve ever had the misfortune to watch.

So many plot holes and things not making sense!

Wait for hangar doors to open before boarding ship.

Second ship suddenly appears with everyone on it.

“I think I’m in the secure area” why because there’s red stars on the door and red LEDs in the hall ffs!

Break into impregnable inquisitors hq by swimming in and appearing completely dry in next scene.

Officer that helps you break in talking loudly at her station with others in the room.

leia escapes under a big coat 🤦‍♂️ and they all walk past 5 or so storm troopers!

Ship escapes and imperial ship in orbit does **** all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

It never leaves me down ........

🤣

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just watched the latest episode.

Once again I enjoyed it.

I don't understand why so many here are looking to poke holes in it and get outraged.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,681 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m usually never one to nitpick about internal logic in silly sci-fi gubbins - indeed, I think the 'cinema sins' school of talking about film & TV has ruined online discussion about media. But my god there’s something about the character decisions and storytelling shortcuts in this show that really get at me in a visceral way 😅 It's such a haphazardly constructed piece of work that I find it hard to care or connect with anything that's going on, even at the most basic 'sure at least it's entertaining' level.

Episode five was the worst yet in that regard. There was a bunch of stuff in the last 15 minutes that felt like writers desperately trying to put the chess pieces in place for episode six, at the expense of credible character actions or any sort of common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Actually enjoying this series so far, probably because we have just come off the back of the terrible Boba Fett series. This is a better show for sure imho.

Only let down for me are the fighting scenes. Jez, last night the 2 groups of fighters, Rebels and Stormtroopers were literally 20ft apart at times. Very unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,259 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was a good episode. Yes I was not perfect and like everyone else I had to just laugh at the other ship that suddenly appeared. Maybe it was cloaked lol if they even had a technology like that in Star Wars.

The biggest problem I find with this show do is because its a prequal series well we all know that Reva is not going to beat Darth Vader for one. I was expecting her to die but nope not yet it seems.

Also how did Leia not notice Lola sooner and also why did she not bring Lola with her when going down the ladder? but no doubt Lola will still feature in the next episode anyway.

I would say the reason they did not board the ships sooner was because they were not sure if they would get out that way or not and to answer another posters question yes Vader has the power to pull a ship down or at least hold it back for a while. Didn't he do the with the Falcan in "The Empire Strikes Back"? I am sure he did and they had to punch it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Agreed, it's terrible. Given LF/Disney's recent history of embarking on very expensive reshoots, I am surprised that the quality of this didn't set off alarm bells at a very early stage. I just can't imagine anyone looking at dailies or rough cuts of this and not realising that they had a serious problem. So much about it just bad or wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

iirc it was a tractor beam or something that held the Millennium Falcon in place. In the OG movies, Jedi doing things like holding space ships in place while trying to fly away wasn't really done, it really was the early days of the Force so it was still rather limited. Remember back then it was considered a big deal when Yoda lifts the X-Wing from the lagoon, no we know that was a fraction of Yoda's actual power.

Since then though, we've had the likes of Starkiller pull literally Star Destroyers from the atmosphere and crash them into the ground, and I believe Anakin and Obi Wan both did similar in the Clone Wars shows. In various cannon comics Vader does the same thing, and I think he actually manages to pull a ship down from orbit in one issue.

I'm still loving the scene of watching Vader vs Reva, it's pretty rare for people to see just how insanely strong Vader is and it gives you a good idea of how easily he murders so many Jedi. The whole point of the flashback scene was showing how despite the fact that Anakin is probably one of the best warriors and insanely strong with the Force, Obi Wan bests him because he plans ahead while Anakin focuses on the kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,259 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

iirc it was a tractor beam or something that held the Millennium Falcon in place. In the OG movies, Jedi doing things like holding space ships in place while trying to fly away wasn't really done, it really was the early days of the Force so it was still rather limited. Remember back then it was considered a big deal when Yoda lifts the X-Wing from the lagoon, no we know that was a fraction of Yoda's actual power.

Yes maybe that's it. I was sure I seen Vader do it somewhere do maybe I dreamt it lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Thoroughly enjoying Obi Wan despite some minor things (like Leia being able to outrun people in the first episode despite going at a snail's pace)... would normally find the kiddies in these shows irritating, but Vivien Lyra Blair (Leia) is a decent little actress.

The sets are fantastic and Vader is probably more menacing in this than he was in the movies, which is saying something. Don't think we saw Vader breaking the necks of random innocent villagers before?

This is such a relief after the ****-show that was Moon Knight... but eh, I've spoken enough about that already in other threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

Nobody's getting "outraged". It's disappointment that a beloved character is associated with such terrible writing, and it IS terrible writing. There is no denying that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Bit of a rant, so may be worth skipping 😉

Another weak episode, which is only exposed even more with dashes of stuff a lot of fans probably wished they'd seen more of. Just the one more.....hopefully.

It really is all over the place with little in the way of logic both from characters we already know of, and even within the boundaries of material they've created for this show. Nothing in the overall story makes sense, and comes across as cobbled together in an afternoon with the best of brightest of Disney Star Wars sitting in a room.....drunk, most likely.

The complete superfluous nature of the Reva character should now be apparent to everyone, and even now, we're not done with her. Adds nothing to the overall Star Wars story, and while many have had issues with her portrayal on-screen, some justifiable poor delivery granted though she's very much part of a group in that regard, it's ultimately the fault of the writers for constructing such a weak and intrinsically unbelievable character. There's little need to go into the jumps of logic that are required to excuse her goal or motivations because none of it makes sense, and it's put to the viewer to just accept what's shoveled out per episode. Surely at some point, someone reading the outline before even shooting began would question some of the decisions made, and as said previously, I would love to have been a fly on the wall when the episodes were screened to the producers etc

The flashback is just a glimmer of hope that they understood what people would have wanted to see, but here it just acts as a tease, and some general ropeyness with de-aging makeup/CG aside, it was nice to see. Now just imagine a series which could have been told with a far more intimate focus on Obi-Wan himself, and how he's struggling with his new life watching over Luke, communing with The Force as per his teaching, fleshing out his trauma and regrets over Anakin via flashbacks etc. It would not only lend so many layers to the character himself, seeing as how it's his show, but Christ !, it could even add to Anakin's fall to the Dark Side which many didn't quite accept was handled as well as they may have liked in the Prequels. Far too expensive for Disney to consider probably, so we'll give you the Adventures of Young Leia and Reva, with the latter parkouring slowly on rooftops during some of the crappest chase sequences ever, but both being the bestest. Sure there's plenty of YouTube idiots out there who'll justify or explain away the moments that make no sense..yeah, Vader let Obi-Wan get away in Episode 3 because he knew Obi-Wan wasn't a rival right now.....yeah, Obi-Wan is suffering PTSD and disconnected from The Force, despite his only mission in life to protect Luke, commune with those gone before, training Luke when the time comes etc and soooooooo many more. Nonsense storytelling with little to no understanding of either the characters' pasts or futures already established.

But that's in general. This single episode had more than enough of the now standard stupid moments so not worth going into the shocking CG of the ship escaping, Vader not realising the second ship......or the refugees either obviously seeing as how none had bothered getting away beforehand while IceCube's son had the other (let me guess....only one person could fly....plothole denied!), the 10yr old Disney Princess owning everyone, Kumail Nanjiani (just in general), the cheap look and feel of the battle in the tunnel with everyone on top of each other, the 'heroic sacrifice' of another character we don't know or care about (thermal detonator might have come in handy earlier or better used)..............could go on and on, but I'm struggling to remember a show which had so much potential, but is undone by so many headbanging moments, stupid ideas, poor writing and direction, that it may honestly be worse than The Book of Boba Fett which is quite something.

Apologies for the rant, but it's a symptom of the missed opportunity here. Not looking forward to what's to come from Disney at all now, more than ever actually, and I do wonder what Lucas' thoughts are nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If Vader was able to stop a ship from lifting off, dragging it back and ripping it apart, why did he not use this power 20yrs later when the Falcon was escaping?

• Ewan McGregor trying to sound like Alec Guinness is very off.

He should just speak like he did in the prequel films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Episode 5 was brilliant, yet still bogged down in some lazy writing... the ship that appeared from nowhere, who was piloting the fist one, why? Everyone waiting until doors opened to board. The shootout in the hanger was terribly shot. They are clearly on top of each other but missing each other completely, it's just plain bad action. All those silly little details just pull you out of the episode, it's unfortunate as there is a lot to like in the show. On Reva letting ObiWan go back into the hanger under guard... at that point all she wanted was Vadar on the ground and for ObiWan to distract him. She quite possibly wanted him to escape. I liked the twist too that Vadar knew what she was up to but used her anyway to get what he wanted. Great fight between them too.

The flashbacks made this episode IMO. It can be hard to get emotion out of someone playing Vadar behind that mask but the flashbacks gave great context to the frustration and rage he was feeling at the prospect of capturing his old master. The flashbacks also answer that question of him saying in ANH that "now I am the master", because even now, he's being schooled by ObiWan due to his blind desire for victory. One can join the dots to ANH that this is a character flaw he feels he's overcome by ANH, and only THEN is he facing ObiWan as the "master" between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

.. Or at the end of Rogue One to prevent Leia and the Death Star plans getting away.

This is the problem with incessant prequels. It just undermines anything made before but set later.

Despite that and the plot holes, this latest episode was still a step up. Like others, I really enjoyed the flashback scene despite the dodgy deaging. As someone said above, scenes like this should have featured a lot more in this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭corkie

Darth Vader Pulling The Ship Pays Off A 14-Year-Old Star Wars Dream

Darth Vader's Jabiim assault in Obi-Wan Kenobi pays off an iconic moment from The Force Unleashed, putting the Sith Lord's power on full display.

The moment mirrors an iconic moment from 2008's The Force Unleashed video game where Darth Vader's secret apprentice used the Force to bring a Star Destroyer crashing back down to the surface.

So it has been done before but not in Movie/TV?

Post edited by corkie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Yoda did the same to a droid troop carrier and ray did it to the ship she then accidentally blew up, and then the X wing in the swamp.

It's been shown before by others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

While, again, this episode is merely ok, it, again, suffers from some dreadful writing. What the hell is up with Disney's writers? Also, Disney really, REALLY, need to get someone in that has a bit of tactical nous, or at least someone that can apply a bit of basic logic to firefights. Every Star Wars TV show has suffered from this. 'The Mandalorian', 'The Book of Boba fett' and now 'Kenobi' all feature people just standing around out in the open pew pewing and not giving a single fuck about their own existence. When did it become so difficult to dress your set with items that make sense during shooting scenes like this? Could the protagonists not take a bit of time to build some sort of barricade? Really?

Plus, the "I have him securely inside" or whatever Reva said was, probably, the dumbest thing I've seen in anything for a long time.

Also what, exactly, was the point in using a laser canon to shoot through the door when Reva could have just popped the lock with her lightsaber, like she ended up doing?

Secret spaceship...LOL.

Don't buy the Reva character at all, although at least Moses Ingram had a brief moment where she could display some acting skill with her "reveal". Terrible, terrible stuff. Badly written, badly acted, badly realised...and apparently there's rumours she getting a spin off...fucking hell. 🙄

Vader leaving Reva alive...fuck off, and I don't need to explain to anyone why that's bloody awful.

Are lightsabers useless now? Except for slicing through giant metal doors, of course.

On the plus side, I liked the training sequence between Kenobi and Anakin (although why are they using real lightsabers? "Whoops...sorry master, there goes your leg.") I thought the de-ageing was sufficient on Hayden Christiansen. Some stuff with Vader was pretty great, including the fight with Reva, excluding the woeful conclusion of course.

Overall though, it's like Disney just doesn't care about the quality of the writing or even just basic logic in these shows, because they believe that there's enough viewers that will tune in anyway and then subsequently make excuses for the poor effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭corkie

Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker - Rey Uses Force Lightning | Ultra HD

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back | Yoda Lifts Luke's X-Wing | 4K HDR

Yoda did the same to a droid troop carrier

Couldn't find a clip of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Relikk

Advertisement