Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

I know it may be a touch hypocritical in a week when Pool are reported to have dropped £100m on a player, but this may be of interest. I doubt there would be retrospective action that would affect the PL, but it may curb spending if successful.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/15/la-liga-files-complaint-to-uefa-alleging-manchester-city-and-psg-breach-ffp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,693 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m outraged by that statement.

There are at least four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

• Advertisement

Ah the good old “hololiganism” chestnut.

Let’s remind ourselves of the definition:

hooliganism

“violent or rowdy behaviour by young troublemakers, typically in a gang”

And the irony is completely lost on them that it much more accurately describes the actions of the police themselves than the supporters attending the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

What ever happened to ricero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Think he instantly combusted when we bought VVD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

It was the Paris locals who were the hooligans that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Gonna take a guess that the first 6 fixtures will be;

Fulham a

Palace h

Man United a

Bournemouth h

Newcastle h

Everton a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Tough away games at the start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Better to play United early before Ten Hagg has much of a chance to work with them, especially if they're dragging their feet on transfers as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Aye, and you can PM me the euromillions picks for tomorrow, ta.

City, Arsenal, Leeds, Forrest, West Ham and Spurs is a tough April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Our April/May is certainly more difficult than City's anyway. I'm sure we'll be so far ahead by then it won't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Istanbul here we come for 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

2022-23 Fixtures

Adding in updates with the CL Group games

Post edited by citytillidie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Did you put a bet on that??

They may look a little deeper if you did 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That schedule is ridiculous next season your playing every 3 days from september and we haven't even included cup games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The League cup Liverpool will play in one game before the World Cup

1st Round - 10th August

2nd Round - 24th August

3rd Round - 9th November

4th Round - 21st December

Quarter-Final - 11th January

Semi-Finals - 25th January & 1st February

Final - 26th February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

They should have ran the FA Cup up to and including the Qtr Final in Nov & Dec with whatever squads the clubs had left. That would free up 4 weekends in Jan to March then for League games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

But...tradition...January 3rd round games...magic of the cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Unless there national team do well in Qatar, a lot of players will get a decent break between getting knocked out until league games resume on December 26th. Even getting knocked out in the QF will allow a 2 week break, the same length of time as the previous attempts at a mid-season break in England.

Taken the above from Reddit but I'd be very happy to see Jones go to Forest and see how he gets on playing every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fee agreed for Ramsey according to Joyce. No more incomings according to him. Not looking for midfielders until 2023.

Personally I think we need one for this season. Club definitely have an eye on Bellingham but there will be a lot of competition for him next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Forest's Guardian journalist pouring cold water on that rumour...

No one else after Ramsey according to Joyce, if Ox is running down his contract this season we are stuck with him so...

Bellingham next season I would hope! 🤞

If he's 100m though I just can't see it...

Dietotenhosen wishing Boss a happy birthday today... 😂

Post edited by Riesen_Meal on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It would be a mistake akin to the session we risked only having 3 CBs and it backfired. A couple of injuries to some fairly injury prone midfielders and our season is in grave danger.

I wonder if the signing of Nunez (and Carvalho), coupled with the talk of no more signings, specifically midfielders, will prompt another change in playing style for Liverpool under Klopp? Even though the majority of the time under Klopp has seen a 4-3-3 formation in play, there has been some subtle changes every season which have affected the play and the style somewhat, moving from gengenpress->controlling->possession based teams.

2015-2017 - In the first couple of years, there was a sort of quasi 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 which engrained the gengenpressing roots into the squad. Lallana & Gini were moved from attacking midfielders into a more regular CM role, alongside Henderson who was moved to DM. Origi & Sturridge were trialed as traditional number 9s, before Firimino eventually gets the CF position, but in a more false 9 role. The first signs of being able to attack space brilliantly becoming a feature of the team. First front 3 emerges in the form of Coutinho Firmino Mane.

2017-2018 - With the gengenpress in full flow now, there was a real onus on legging teams now, with big bursts of attacking energy to blow teams away. Some games were real attacking helter-skelter games. Lots of goals scored, but too many goals were still being conceded too. Lots of high scoring wins while conceding at the same. A large reliance was placed on the front 3, with the introduction of Salah, to score from counter attacks and via their own link up play. There was still a worry around not being able to break down teams that defended deep and cut off space. With the introduction of Karius & then VVD, Klopp showed how he wanted to build play out from his defence, and the possession style of play had started to take some form. Individual defensive mistakes were still littered in the defence. The team was still somewhat young, and naive, and often out of steam and ideas.

2018-2020 - The CL final loss in Kiev stuck with the players and coaches in terms of game management, removing that naivety. Alisson, VVD & Fabinho allowed the progression of building the possession game, but the key attribute being that they controlled games now, in terms of managing the space and the areas where the ball was being played. The midfield of Fabinho Hendo Gini Milner were now in their peak, utilizing a mid block press off the ball, controlling the space and rarely needed to attack, recycling the ball when they got it back instead. A lot of 1 goal winning margins, 1-0 or 2-1 were seen in this period. The full backs became key to creating attacks, along with front 3 who are still scoring the goals. There were some hints of moving to a 4-2-3-1 in the winter of 2019 with Shaqiri being used as the 4th attacker. By the end of 2020, the team is a fully functioning possession based side. On the ball, sometimes the team lined up almost in a 2-1-4-3.

2020-2022 - The team has now moved away from defending the space, to instead defending with the ball, partly due to the energy levels dropping in midfield which also contributed to not needing to gengenpressing as much anymore. Teams were having to work hard to get the ball off of Liverpool as they were so well tuned in possession, aided by the two new playmakers emerging in the form of Trent & Thiago. The introduction of Jota sees the use of a 4-2-3-1 a lot more, with him or Origi used as a more traditional focal point instead of the false 9 role. The 4-2-4 becomes more frequent with Keita, Elliot & Henderson all given a unique role of supporting both midfield & attack from RM, allowing Trent & Salah to have more freedom.

Seeing Nunez as a more traditional 9, coupled with the regression of Firmino, leads me to think that the move to 4-2-3-1 may become more permanent, or even a lobsided 4-4-2 with Diaz playing as an orthodox winger on one side with the RM tucking in a bit more again. It might suit the team to 'only' play with 2 midfielders - Thiago & Fabinho have proved that they can play this together. Henderson is well able to, and Keita proved at Leipzig that he can play in a 2 man midfield too, provided he stays fit.

This would see Salah more up front alongside Nunez. I would not be surprised to see Carvalho deployed in the 1 behind the striker at times this coming season, although he is still very young, so it might be Firmino moving back to the role he had at previous clubs as the player behind. Elliot might be used in this role too, or even Thiago in some big games. We might see a continuation of the 4-3-3 too.

It's certainly going to be an interesting season ahead and to see how Darwin will affect the evolution of this team 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was thinking what about firmino as a midfielder?

Great post Fitz. I do have a strong feeling myself that Klopp will have us operating under a less rigid system this season, in the sense that our 4-3-3 with a high defensive line and the more reserved press from the front could be switched occasionally for a deeper line in midfield and a more aggressive gegenpress up front with a 4-2-3-1.

A tactical switch and/or an alternative approach to games against strong sides could be on the cards given the fact that we’ve actually regressed in beating high quality teams this season. An away win at Inter was our best result of the season but when you look at the league, there’s not one game where we’ve beaten a side on our level or even close to it. A hugely impressive and consistent season, yes, but there’s a weakness at the minute in beating the top dogs (and even Spurs for god’s sake) and I’m sure it’s being addressed this summer.

• Advertisement

Spurs are going to be extremely difficult to take points off for the likes of ourselves and City. Contes style is perfect to punish any mistakes either team make as both play high-up the pitch and leave loads of space for a quick transition and aggressive counter attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

It's being reported in Scotland that everything has been agreed with Aberdeen, £4.5M fee plus £3.5M in performance addons and a 20% sell on clause. Ramsay is expected to travel to Liverpool for a medical tomorrow.

Maddock and Joyce both with articles out to say the club are waiting for next summer for Bellingham. Normally they just say something along the lines to f "the right player" but both have mentioned Bellingham in their articles.

If the club had sense, they'd tie him down now so (similar to Naby) and sort out some form of agreement.

The only thing is, what would Dortmund stand to gain from that? He doesn't have a release clause, that we know of. The reason why Leipzig took the Keita deal is because he had a release clause that was going to kick in, and Liverpool paid a premium on top of that in order to beat the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder is the World Cup being played in the middle of the season effecting transfers.

Will clubs sign players who stand out in the World Cup in the January transfer window like they might have in past during a summer transfer window.

Liverpool might just agree to pay €80m+ for him. I'd be very surprised if Klopp isn't in touch with Dortmund himself to get updates on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Was curious so looked through our squad and we do have a pretty big group of first teamers that won't be heading off to WC. And even when you look at the players that are going, a lot of them aren't guaranteed starters. 

Not Going

Kelleher, Ramsay, Robertson, Tsimikas, Matip, Gomez, Keita, Milner, Elliott, Jones, Carvalho, Ox, Salah, Diaz

Going (likely)

Alisson, TAA, VVD, Konate, Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho, Firmino, Jota, Taki, Nunez. I'm assuming Mane is definitely gone. 

Of the likely players going I'd only consider VVD, Jota, Taki and Nunez as players guaranteed to start most if not all of their games. Brazil usually rotate their keepers, Fab is behind Casemiro but does get rotated in, Firmino will likely be on the bench. Konate just got called up so maybe he won't be first choice. Southgate doesn't see Henderson or TAA as starters. We might even get lucky and Southgate will go full clown and he'll leave one or both behind. And I don't think Thiago plays all the time for Spain but would need to check that.

Biggest issue is, I can see both the Dutch and Brazil going deep, especially Brazil. In comparison, quickly looking at City's squad, it looks like most of their first team squad will be going bar Zinchenko, Haaland and Mahrez. 

What I'm saying is, get ready to dust off the asterix for our next league title lads!

I wouldn’t be to certain that either TAA or Bobby are likely to travel. Southgate doesn’t seem to rate TAA in the system England play, and unless Bobby plays for Pool, which looks less likely with Darwin, then he might struggle to get a place. Even Henderson might be vulnerable if Southgate goes with a younger squad. I’m mindful of how the older English players struggled in the heat in Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'd love it of ingerland left Trent and Henderson at home, not gonna happen though.

Southgate is getting flak for leaving Trent out, and the self preservation instinct will kick in, he won't want to be sent home at the quarter final stage and have to explain why he has no players from one of the EPL best 2 teams.

With all the talk of Klopp and the club readly to wait till next year for Bellingham the real question is Bellingham ready to wait or will his head get turned by other clubs.

Ojo say his goodbye, Hope he finds a decent club for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Surely Tielemans is a great buy for the cm spot and he's going for 40Mish is it? Sure they paid the same for Ox years ago.

They can go for Bellingham as they planned then next year.

With how injury prone henderson and thiago is and Milner not getting any younger they will all still get lots of playing time between them anyway.

Or i hope they have a Fabinho type lined up out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Enzokk

England has one midfielder playing for a top 6 team, Henderson and he is not certain of his spot in the team. Instead it is Philips or Rice that is seen as a better choice. Every time they play against a team with better players their midfield gets overrun and that is where they lose the match. They play with an extra defender as well to compensate for this mismatch in midfield.

Add in that Maguire is first choice CB, then while they have done well the last 2 tournaments you can see there are definite areas of concern for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Yea, I asked here a few weeks ago about Tielemans, don't know really why we seemingly haven't even looked at him, or not publicly anyway.

He'd seem to have a lot to offer for what on the surface is reasonably money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement