Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Pride ends media partnership with RTE over Liveline's Gender Identity discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Which more or less sums up entirely the Liveline callers on the topic. Utter confusion as to who is what or the other and how they would like to be referred to, on any given day of the week or even time of the day. Utter madness in terms of the common man or woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Due to his article yesterday in the examiner i presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

It's a house built on sand, as Matt Walsh's recent documentary shows.

While I feel for the trans people who are just going about their lives and want no part in this absolute ****-show, it's comforting to see that when the exceptionally vocal trans rights extremists are forced to defend their position, moderates are getting to see how utterly ridiculous these people's positions are.

Fuck you panti bliss. You absolute bigot.

Wow, could you imagine someone tweeted the same about gay or trans people? They'd be lynched and rightly so. Unreal, for a trans woman it seems her toxic masculinity sure as hell is still intact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

A bit like this guy who divides his time at the office in a wig and dress part of the week as a woman and other times in a suit dressed as a man and everyone is supposed to pretend it's normal. He's number 32 on the list of Top 100 Business WOMEN of the year.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/gender-fluid-exec-named-on-list-of-top-100-women-in-business-a3942896.html

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

That guy needs to be fired immediately and any State organisation giving that Organisation funding and or support needs to cut any funding and distance themselves from that group. That is actually quite frightening. To be in that position and to encourage violent harassment of women who don't support trans. That the guy should be able to feel so comfortable putting that out there really is worrying and he needs to be fired and an apology for that comment issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Think someone mentioned already that the organisation they’re part of haven’t submitted accounts for the last couple of years and the HSE stopped funding too.

Perhaps they should spend less time on Twitter and more time on their accounting software package 😂

kids and teenagers have always played with identities.

As Bill Maher said recently : 'when I was a kid I wanted to be a Pirate. Thank God my parents didn't schedule me for leg removal surgery and extract one of my eyes'

Mike Clifford put it well in his latest Irish Examiner column:

However, if the Liveline programmes can be categorised as promoting hate, we’re heading back to a very dark place.

For sure, the conversation may have been uncomfortable for some, but to be fair to Duffy, he moderated it professionally and attempted to ensure that discomfort was minimised. 

In such circumstances, Dublin Pride’s action in targeting RTÉ is deeply worrying.

Any other organisation, on any other issue, would be castigated far and wide as attempting to stifle free speech. Apart maybe from the bishops of yore.

I cannot help but be reminded about how the Catholic Church always sought to stifle debate so that its beliefs went unchallenged.

There is no other parallel that can be drawn. And it goes to show that the dogmatic impulse to silence opponents never goes away; it just mutates into a different form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

The T activists neither represent the LBG community nor the majority of the T community. They are just trying to generate a media profile to make money. 

The media get clicks/money by representing this all as a modern-day circus freak show. 

Companies save money by declaring they're "allies" of these tiny majorities and so can more easily sidestep dealing with broader workforce concerns. 

Governments arrange stupid parades instead of, say, housing. (I'd bet the house that An Bord Pleanala has an extensive inclusion and diversity program!) FFG are too busy ransacking the country before they are kicked out to really care about this.

There is no other parallel that can be drawn. And it goes to show that the dogmatic impulse to silence opponents never goes away; it just mutates into a different form.

Ahh.. I'd say we see a similar parallel with regards to Islamaphobia, and criticisms directed towards Islam. Or that immigration, in general, in this country is above criticism.. with excessive responses directed at those who do raise it publicly. Feminism used to have the same elevated position, although that's starting to decline somewhat. Same with responsibility for personal safety, and the whole area being relegated to victim blaming.

Nah. Over the last two decades, there's been a few issues/topics which have a similar position with attitudes towards criticism being shot down and attacked aggressively..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Listened to these in the background while working today. Might have missed some context as I was intermittently sending off emails, but two bits stood out for me during the contributions...

The woman who said that (I may be getting this wrong so forgive me) "all men as class, are a threat to all women"

And one contributor who insisted despite conlusive evidence (and basic common sense) that men who transition have absolutely no physiological advantages over women in the sporting arena.

Not only is that absolute bullsh*t - women who bust their hump from a young age to become Olympians or get on the podium, only to have their places snatched by people who transition in adulthood - but also downright dangerous in sports like boxing, MMA or rugby where people can get seriously hurt by someone who quite frankly has a bloke's body and frame.

Stop the world, I want to get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Alphabet mafia taking a bit of a body blow this week it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Alphabet mafia........love it !

• Registered Users Posts: 28 kayfabe

It's amazing how quickly the mask has slipped from the very people who not so long ago were talking about love, tolerance and understanding.

That works both ways (or at least should to any normally sane person).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭santana75

Whats disturbing about this is essentially the Dublin Pride community are basically saying that you can't even discuss certain topics and if you do you're a bigot, no matter how moderate and rational that discussion may be. They dont even realise that they are the aggressors here, they are so used to seeing themselves as victims that they've lost perspective completely. Everything should be discussed openly, nothing should be off limits and if you are the person trying to shut down a conversation by claiming its "Triggering" or "Shaming" then you need to ask yourself some hard questions about your relationship with the truth. And I think thats what it comes down to.........a hatred of the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Actually your quote on the gay rights movement is interesting. I agree in general. (Plus I don't care what your sexuality or what ever else is).

I'd consider myself a laid back fella, but try telling me what to say, how to act, what is right/wrong outside my own belief system (which again is fairly relaxed)...Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Think she was saying men are a danger to women. Statistically I spose? So they need spaces for women only. That's what I took from it anyway.

I actually have absolutely no issue with women only spaces.

Jaysus, sometimes I need just men only spaces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"The woman who said that (I may be getting this wrong so forgive me) "all men as class, are a threat to all women".

This agenda is being driven by many sections in society and the media nowadays.

Look at the coverage in the Irish media when Aisling Murphy was murdered. It was shocking and basically we had a couple of weeks when we heard nothing except that all men need to stop abusing their power over women. All of us were branded as predators and potential criminals or murderers.

(and don't forget how quickly the heat was taken out of the story when it was found out the charged was a foreign immigrant).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The rabid element of the trans movement are afraid of biological women. They then feel that one way of controlling them is to invade their spaces, prisons, rape crisis centres, DV help centres, sports, toilets and so on. Just because they can under self ID.

Those who transition on their own terms are not to be feared. They just want to live their lives in peace as the person they identify as.

It is the radical element that have a deeper anti biological women agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,343 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Absurd comment that is nothing but fearmongering. Noone wants to "invade" spaces. Trans women have been using womens toilets for decades. There are a few trans women in prisons that are held in solitary confinement. It shows up what all this is all about really - an agenda to create unnecessary fear about trans people.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes of course - Trans women didnt magically appear out of nowhere in 2015. There has never been a law about which toilets people can use either.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Can I ask you something? What’s going on with your avatar; is it an optic illusion?

Rubbish. See how quickly I'm reefed out of a woman's bathroom in a pub.

Also, if I saw a lad going into my nieces and sisters changing room after swimming, you better believe I'd have words.

Thats just not a comparable situation. You are talking about men. I am talking about trans women. It's not my problem if you seriously think that trans women have not been using womens toilets for many years but you're wrong.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

No they just want to smash biological women out of existence.

Make them fear for their lives.

There absolutely is a rabid element to the movement. Filled with men who put on a dress and say "you can't touch me, I'm a persecuted minority, anything I demand I should get because I'm a persecuted minority"

They take away from the legitimate trans people who may actually need support and need community around them.

Advertisement