Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

If you don't mind Star Wars, then the Force Unleashed is pretty much this. You can have an immense amount of fun with it if you know exactly what you are getting into

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Saints Row 4? I liked a lot of the gameplay in terms of powers and abilities. Story forces you into some awful gameplay sections, but for the most part it's laser weapons and superpowers, fighting against mostly aliens but you can just wreak havoc throughout the city too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

For over the top unhinged havoc and destruction nothing beats the Just Cause series.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have no interest in Star Wars and i didn't like SR 4 because of the super hero stuff in it oddly. I'm looking forward to the new SR though. Just Cause should be a leading contender but i got bored playing the last couple of games. I think what I'm looking for doesn't exist, would be a great time for a **** tv tie in game with The Boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I couldn't see a game where mass murdering people as a superhero would work out. If they were to release it, you'd be the good guy preventing it. Times be too sensitive these days!

But yes, I'd love a Boys type game too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure the way I play the Spider-Man games involves loads of killing. Either that or the bad guys somehow land safely after I knock them off high buildings. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

If you look closer you will see that any bad guy you knock off a building is automatically webbed to the side. The Arkham games do something similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whereupon they die of hunger and thirst, as they hang from the side of buildings, unnoticed by authorities 😎

I'm sure the next person coming into the office might notice a guy webbed to the outside of the window!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just back from Ace Combat Canyon Mission: Maverick and now I want an ace combat 8 even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I was browsing Steam last night, trying out some new games, particularly of the cinematic platformer variety (or very near it), since Flashback 2's trailer has me all warm and fuzzy with excitement.

Discovered 'The Way' (which I've had on Switch for years but never touched it), 'The Fall' and 'Black The Fall' (unrelated).

I've found myself more drawn towards 'Black The Fall'. Very much comparable to 'Inside', from the stealth right down to controlling other NPCs with your mind to solve puzzles. I haven't gotten very far so I'm hoping to stick with it. The Fall - I got 5 minutes into it and I was already stuck. It felt like a point and click adventure game, in that I have to pick up an item and hope it's the item that'll combine with another item - not a huge fan of them, nor the massive character models. I don't know if I'll go back. The Way seems more down my alley, but I might keep that for when I'm in bed with the Switch.

Rte showing Golden Eye. Its an omen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I got Uncharted Legacy Of Thieves Collection (A Thief's End & The Lost Legacy) a few days ago.

It was a while since I played them so I'm looking forward to see how they play on the PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Surprised to not see a thread for The Quarry

Fairly big budget game

Any good? (Anyone played it yet?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Thread link copying weirdly but it's in the general gaming forum

Played the first few levels of TMNT Shredders Revenge. Pretty fun. Kind of a simpler Streets Of Rage 4 due to fewer pickups and no weapons. Fewer enemy types too. Can feel fairly sluggish at times, particularly trying to jump. But still, it's a good bit of fun so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Anyone playing Neon White yet? Looks rad!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It is really, really bloody excellent.

Any first person shooter that is based on speed, movement and being as slick as possible while doing it is right up my street. And this feels extremely great to play.

Also, the surrounding story is nonsense - but it has the vibe and essence of an absurd Japanese visual novel that few western developers manage to land, but with a personality of its own. Reminds me somewhat of the superb Paradise Killer in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I assume for online co-op, friends need a copy of the game? Was hoping that it might be like It Takes Two where one would suffice but more wishful thinking than anything.

I've heard coop is where the game shines but it sounds like its excellent in single player too thankfully.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Highly recommended! One of the most pleasant surprises in a while - had only been half paying attention to it, but it feels fantastic from the second you start playing. And the level design (at least in the first batch of missions I played - and replayed - through last night) is magnificent.

I picked up the PC version and played on Deck (runs great), but I believe it's the rare excellent Switch port too that runs at a smooth 60 FPS for the most part. I did need to customise the controls a bit to make it feel more natural for me - personally recommend setting the special ability button (which includes double jumping) to the left rather than right bumper so it's the same side as jump, but your mileage may vary there. And Switch mapping might vary anyway!

Awesome, will pick it up on Steam over the weekend. Looking forward to it now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is rather awesome: Mark Brown of GMTK made a Video Essay Game, available on itch.io ... basically showing all the concepts he has covered about good Platforming "feel", in an interactive sandbox you can play with. Really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Playing Rebel Cops that's currently on 1.50 on psn, and i love it / hate it. I can't get past the first level but i can't stop playing it. Get a bit further each time and i love the mechanics (except you can't rotate the map which is very annoying) but man it's tough. Might drop to easy mode to see if it's still fun but maybe then i can clear the first level!

No idea about the co-op. Have been going pure solo.

Still enjoying it, but as you get further into the game the sluggishness in jumping really starts to become more of a problem. Some parts of the game can get very frustrating. Not difficult, just frustrating.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

"Any first person shooter that is based on speed, movement and being as slick as possible while doing it is right up my street. And this feels extremely great to play."

I reckon this might take your fancy too - Metal: Hellsinger, a rhythm FPS with metal music that looks and sounds fantastic. There's a demo on Steam too. 😎

Weirdly I was listening to a Waypoint podcast talking about this demo as I read your post :p

I gave the demo a try this afternoon and it’s pretty good! The combination of genres works well. Very Doom 2016 but with the rhythm side of things adding spice. Definitely more into the Neon White vibe and aesthetic (although it’s quite literally heaven vs hell!) but will give Hellsinger another look when it’s out for sure.

Also tried the Agent 64 demo while I was there as it was getting lots of attention: as overt and shameless a Goldeneye clone as you can get, but I guess that’s cleverly identifying a gap in market given everyone has so far refused to actually re-release Goldeneye (current rumours of an imminent port aside)? As someone who has no particular nostalgia for Goldeneye, they’ve got the look and feel eerily right but it’s kind of often a bad game because of that? 😂 The game feels extraordinarily crappy with a mouse as they’re totally trying to emulate the N64 controls (or at least the nostalgia clouded l version of the N64 controls): feels a better with a controller, but it definitely comes across as bad controls on purpose which is weird!

Oh, I do like the look of Hellsinger. Shall wait patiently. Not enough metal games out there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Has it got the insane levels of auto aiming that the N64 original had? I found Goldeneye awful until you realise the auto aim is really lenient and it becomes a lot better to rely on it, it feels a lot better although I still wouldnt call the game great.

Advertisement