Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

These plumes always end in a bust for us. it's not a case of bad luck each and every time, it's a case of terrible geopgraphy. A few days ago it looked like we might tap into it for 1 day but sadly it's over before it started. I'm more dissapointed with the amount of cloud cover because the temperatures could have been very decent today and yesterday.

The only time we can get decent heat in this country (25C or more) is from a prolonged ridge of the Azores high lasting several days to a week anchored right over Ireland or drawing up south-easterly winds with as little sea breezes as possible. These Spanish/euro plumes will never be anything more than glancing blows of low level warmth for us. Very similar reasons why we don't get proper thunderstorms in this country either or proper cold in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The real heat is in Spain and France. Friend of mine is near Bordeaux and they may hit 41 degrees. Paris looks like hitting between 38-40 degrees. I would say its miserable though to be honest. I spent a lot of time over the years in Paris and it really can get sweltering heat there with no breeze. For me the perfect temperature is between 25-28 degrees. Anything over 35 is just awful.

Phoenix park 23 degrees at the moment. It will be interesting to see how high the continent goes, maybe 43 or so. I would say the south of spain around the likes of Seville and Cordoba will be unbearable heat but they are well used to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've experienced low 40s before in the Malaga/Fuengirola region, it's on the coast so they probably only see that sort of temperature 2 or 3 days per summer right on the coast but when i did experienced it, it was lovely as there was an extremely warm breeze to make it comfortable. Probably a very different story 20 miles further inland.

The warmest temperature I have ever experienced in Ireland is 29C and that was only briefly last summer and in 2018. I don't think Country Meath has ever recorded a 30C over the past 40 years, perhaps it did in 1976 but I was still in a nappy during the sweltering summer of 76.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The hottest I can remember in Ireland was one year in Kilkenny city, cant remember the year but I seem to recall it was between 31-32 degrees. I also have memories of holidaying in the midlands around the Shannon during the summer of 1995, it was really hot, low 30s. I seem to recall Dublin came close to 30 degrees around 2018, maybe 28 or 29 degrees.

The hottest place i have experienced was Phoenix in Arizona, i spent a few nights there in August one year, unbelievable heat but very dry heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

dark grey pish all day cork city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

The hottest part of Spain could be NE. Madrid got 40c today. Yesterday they were 0.7 off their record of 41.2c for June.

France will be up to 40c tomorrow.

Meanwhile in Sligo we may have breached the magical 20c today. Though maybe it was 19.5c. Back garden said 20.1c. Getting dark out to sea now and rain tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Gonzo, you'll have to move west! Can't remember the last summer we didn't have at least one 30C day in Roscommon. Definitely didn't in 2012 but not sure if there's been any sub-30 max summers since?

Red heatwave warning for parts of France

Qualification of the phenomenon

• Early and intense heat wave warning justifying red alertness. Records for minimum and maximum temperatures should be broken on Friday and Saturday.

Current situation

• This Thursday at the end of the night, temperatures were between 17°C and 21°C in the departments placed on orange alert.
    • At 3:45 p.m. in Auch, Albi, Toulouse, Bordeaux we raise 36 degrees, in Carcassonne 37 degrees.

Expected evolution

• After a month of May with record temperatures, France will suffer an intense heat wave of unprecedented precocity.
    • As is now often the case during heat waves in France, absolute records will probably be broken, mainly in the southwest of the country and the Centre-Val de Loire.
    • This afternoon, on the departments on orange alert, we are waiting for:
    • * 36°C to 39°C in Occitania, Nouvelle Aquitaine (except Poitou), and Rhône Valley (Drôme, Ardèche)
    • * 34°C to 37°C on Poitou (Deux-Sèvres and Vienne) and Vendée
    • * 33°C to 35°C on the lower Loire Valley (departments 37, 44, and 49)
    • Next night, the minimums on the departments in orange and red vigilance, will be between 19°C and 23°C, very high values for the season.
    • The heat will increase tomorrow afternoon throughout the country, and 40°C will frequently be reached or even exceeded over a large southwest quarter, with possible monthly heat records.
    • The night from Friday to Saturday will be very hot in the departments placed on red alert, with end-of-night values ranging from 22 to 25 degrees.
    • Saturday afternoon on the Landes axis, Poitou-Charentes, Vendée the maximum temperatures will still rise; absolute records could then fall.
    • Thunderstorm degradation is expected on Sunday, and should allow a drop in temperatures.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

1995 and some of 2018 are the gold standard of Irish summers for me.

Let's see if it reaches 23C down here tomorrow as forecast.

Regarding tomorrow in the Southeast, the 26's are gone from Carnew Co Wicklows forecast based on the ECMWF on Met Eireann and replaced with a 3pm peak of 24c

Kilkenny replaced with a 23

Carnew is an interesting place weatherwise ,far enough inland to ditch the marine layer,yet near enough to the coast to benefit from the east wicklow east wexford common coastal clearer skies

So tomorrow will be interesting there

Pity it doesn't have a weather station that I'm aware of

• Advertisement

according to this Dublin reached 25C today.

Unless somewhere gets this tomorrow, this temperature most likey won't be reached again until final days of June/early July.

The Churchtown Davis station reached 25c today

As Did Herberton in Harolds Cross

Also Knocklyon (almost 26c)

near Tallaght

All of them on the western edges of the great urban heat island

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

'Eh 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020? Even if counting in the fact that our official station network isn't that fleshed out, no chance was a 30C recorded in 2015. The other years I might see an argument for - mid June and mid July 2014, mid June 2017, late June 2019. Each of these had at least 28C. 2020 perhaps not, official highest was 27.1C on June 1st.

Also Gonzo, could have sworn I answered your exact question last July on if Meath observed 30C before? Regardless if I did or not and I am having a brain fart (my memory is allowed to fail me once or twice right 😂), Meath did achieve 30C in July 1983 and August 1975. Kells holds the record of 30.7C on 13 July 1983. The county records are in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Anyone any details on where that station in Churchtown is? I know the area well enough as grew up in Rathfarnham. But didn't think there was any station there. Obviously a bit of a heat trap. No more so than Heathrow I guess...

You forgot to include the few showers of hail and the mini tornado we got too...

Ah I remember you answering it last summer but thought it was around 29.5 or something like that. Surprised we didn't reach 30C in 1995.

Going on the reports above for Dublin I feel fairly certain 27C would easily have been reached today if it was wall to wall strong sunshine all afternoon. The temperatures today were fairly impressive considering the amount of cloud around. I reckon it did reach 24C here at Dunshaughlin today but it was probably only for a minute or two when the sun actually did shine for about 20 minutes straight around 3pm. If the sun had persisted into the evening no doubt the temperatures would have gone higher.

Now imagine if we had todays uppers combined with much more sunshine and it was the final week of July or first week of August. The plume that will affect England and France tomorrow if that was to occur around the August bank holiday weekend you could easily add a few more degree's to tomorrows maximums.

Thanks SRyan.

Yes 15 and 16 were sub 30 max years also. Still 6 to 7 out of the last 10 I've seen 30 on the station here at some stage, including 3 of the last 4 years.

We are generally the hottest part of the country when a well placed Azores high brings an easterly or South easterly airflow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

23.9 recorded at the Phoenix park today

Just for fun todays GFS 12z really turns things chilly from next weekend. It is most definitely a cold outlier and brings lying snow to the Scottish highlands and a frost to parts of Ireland. it also brings unseasonably cold daytime temperatures to Ireland, 7C in the middle of the afternoon towards the end of June in Ireland. I know we can get very cool weather in the summer but this seems almost impossible even for us. Almost certain this will not verify.

Heading to Spain tomorrow and overnight minima of 25 forecast 😳

Hopefully the AC is working!

Hopefully your hotel isn't setting the AC too high. Read something about the Spanish government wants all premises to set the AC to higher levels to save on energy with a minimum temperature of 27C rather than the 21C most places would normally use.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0526/1301311-spain-energy-effots/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Poor show this event for Ireland - nice today in the East and maybe again for the first half of 2morrow but this briefiest window of summer never got West of the Shannon. Looking more and more like that July is our only hope to save summer. We seem to be locked into a chilly feed from the NW since early May(some decent days were thrown in for the West when winds went East for a short while at the start of this month) and it seems that conveyor is not easing anytime soon as those GFS charts suggest. Interestingly it seems MT's part of Canada seems to be in a similar rut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautifully warm night in Southampton after a very sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Today was warm but disappointing with the lack of sunshine.

I actually preferred yesterday as much more sunny.

My husband was saying his phone(don't know what app he is using) is now showing showers in Dublin for tomorrow afternoon!

We will wait and see what tomorrow brings.

I wouldn't be getting hopes up in the Dublin area for tomorrow. The warmest part of tomorrow will be from 6am to about 10am and then the temperatures will fall back to about 15-17C by lunchtime or early afternoon. There won't be much in the way of sun tomorrow, maybe the sun might poke behind the clouds every now and then. Today really was the end of it.

The next half decent day will probably be Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dublin AP reporting 19c at 0500. Not often you see that.

Meanwhile, 17.6c atm in Greystones....and windy (yet again)!

Advertisement