Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

albert- it all depends what you want to do.

if you wanted a west Clare history trip-

iScattery island- you go via ferry from Kilrush marina- you’d have to google times or booking. take note- it’s about 2-2.5 in total and there is no coffee shop on island. Some parts are closed for renovation and the hill area closed for hen harrier. But the churches and round tower are open.

vandeleur walled gardens are in Kilrush also- you can walk the gardens for free and there’s a coffee shop there. There’s a forest walk if you wanted something longer.

there loop head lighthouse- (I think it’s open now. Tour is about an hour. Afaik there are baskin sharks there at the moment.

the little arc of kilbaha is en route (10-15 minute stop) - a tiny church used in penal times-

nearby is the grave of the yellowmen.

there’s plenty of restaurants on the route-

coffeys in Kilrush is ok.

the long dock in carrigaholt has a good rep for seafood but I’ve never eaten.

that’s a full day really depending where your base is.

you can continue up the coast towards lahinch. Towards lahinch- the armada in Spanish point usually has good food but it’s getting dearer by the day.

there’s a small memorial to the rineen ambush between Miltown and lahinch.

lahinch has a long beach with good restaurants.

ennistymon has restaurants.

the cliffs of moher are good.

ailwee caves are decent- the birds of prey centre onsite is good but heat can effect the birds so display may be shorter.

theres poulabrone dolmen near there and a ring fort that has sheepdog trials but may be only weekend.

caron in north Clare has michael cussacks homestead. It’s got a nice centre there and I think there is a perfumery nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭White Clover

We should nominate @Bass Reeves as tour guide. What we will need to know afterwards is if he has converted @Albert Johnson and there is a lorry of black and whites landed up west even before they arrive home!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

The Foynes Flying Boat & Maritime Museum is a great museum and they have a fab restaurant as well. They're building a new massive museum I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Be might decide to sell up in Donegal and move his operations to the Goldenvale

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Albert is gone very quiet. Maybe he didn't get to go after all. 😀

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭straight

You’d never do in Donegal anyway Bass. There wouldn’t be enough Friesian Bullocks there!!

I would say there is plenty of them. As yearlings. There is some dairying ateas in Donegal I taught

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I climbed Knockfierna as Bass suggested and after a view of the Golden Vale I've been rendered speechless. I don't know how I'll go home after seeing how the other side live. We have only cabbage gardens in comparison.

• Advertisement

You should try the Lough Avalla walk (PURPLE TRAIL) on Mullagh Mor. It's my favourite walk. Right beside Father Ted's house.

From Ennis pass tru Corofin. At Kilnaboy Cross take a right. On for about 4km or so. In the heart of the Burren.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The Fodder Support scheme is due to open in the next few days. Applications can be made up until the 2nd of August but it covers silage/hay cut and conserved until the 5th of September - I can't figure the difference between the application deadline of the 2nd of Aug and fodder saved up to 5th of Sept. It says that applications can be made direct by the farmer or through their ag advisor which I presume is through Agfood. Dairy and Tillage farmers are not eligible to apply.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/56m-scheme-to-pay-farmers-to-make-silage-launched-704012

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Tileman

Can u get it on your Glas traditional meadows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Mods delete if not allowed.

Might be of interest to some on here for a good cause and the top prize is a Pedigree Charolais Heifer donated by the late Christy Comerford.

https://www.idonate.ie/raffle/13178_win-knockmahon-tessy.html

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Bet they'd have no bother selling tickets if the top prize was 2 tonne of fertiliser

• Registered Users Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Don't know yet as there is a clause in GLAS that you can only get paid once on a land parcel although this is a exceptional aid measure so maybe. We will know more when the details come out in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

From glancing at the Journal there is going to be a steady increase in levels of a paper trail and accountability in new Schemes.

Whereas in reality a lot of it is only paperwork for paperwork’s sake.

I think it’s very harsh on older folk who are not Computer savvy making virtually everything go online.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Why would they omit category 1 lads on the worst ground from it? I make all my own haylage in category 1 land and pay more per bale to contractor as fields are smaller in disadvantaged areas, rocks to avoid, breakages , distance to next neighbour with land saved for silage . Our location makes diesel and fert dearer too than better farming areas. Crazy

Some land isn't it. Although it varies in quality.

I was once at a discussion group and some lad was on about the poor land in West Limerick. I said there was hardly any bad Land in Limerick.

Up in your own Donegal there is a view off Scealp Mountain that is second to none

You look down over the good land to the south and East and I I think you can see out over the Foyle estuary as well.

There is a road all the way up. You just pay at the gate of the farmers yard it's accessed from. One of the best views I ever saw

Knockfierna is a nice easy climb

Slava Ukrainii

TBH I think this is a gimme scheme. It's a thousand euro payment to drystock farmers. The reason for the for the September 5 date for cutting is so as to give lads an option to have two or three cuts to get to my the 10 HA limit.

How will they know if I cut silage in May again in Late June and again in September or if I took two cuts.

It's actually an encouragement to those with traditional hay meadows to reclose and take a second cut the end of August to get to the thousand euro.

Just make sure to apply and collect the thousand euro.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Excluding ANC land is an utter pisstake. Considering that dairy farmers and tillage farmers are also excluded, how much eligible land remains?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Walking through site this morning and the subject of weather came up and how it was to break the weekend "oh thatll suit the farmers so go on the piss for the weekend when the grass is growing and better still there being handed €1000/acre now too everyone of them", amazing how stories grow legs.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I know someone who was employed on a farm in Limerick. They put them through ag college. At the end they even offered to leave the farm to this person.

They turned it down. They were too young at the time and I think the thought and responsibility just overwhelmed them. Probably politeness and naivety too.

The farmer died soon after and the farm sold and money went to the church.

The farmer told how during the war years and compulsory tillage. The corn grew but went flat to the ground. Just naturally rich ground more suited to grass than cereal crops. But the powers that be at the time knew all.

Before the advent of bag artificial nitrogen fertilizer. Limerick had the name for breeding dairy stock and rich pasture, milk production.

Bass is right, only at the extreme west of limerick is the land poorer, around Abbeyfeale and north by Athea and on that way. From Newcastle west down to Bass Country and over to croom, charleville, Kilmallock and on over to JP’s is all savage land. A little bit around pallasgreen, murroe and along the Tipperary border is a little poorer too.

I used to know a man from a small village between kilmallock and Knocklong (I can’t think what it’s called) who reckoned that the land around there was as good as anywhere in the country, I didn’t disagree with him either.

Even alot of the land around Abbeyfeale is good land. There is bits around Carrikerry back into Ballyhahill and around there that is a bit dodgy or the bit around Tournafulla. But if you were a good farmer you would manage it away. It's still 7+ month land but to manage it.

In drystock no matter how good your land is you will still have a four month winter if you have an anyway decent stocking level

Ps

Where do you think Bass's country is

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Dozer1

From Newcastle west back there is little or no topsoil on the ground either stone or black ground. On a good year yes it'll grow grass but I'd much rather be around Croom or Kilmallock for the best ground in my view....as for Bass country I'd guess kildimo direction given the shine the grass there puts on those fr cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Advertisement

I am a blow in as the saying goes. It's all about know what is available in your area. I would be sedentary enough however I would be easy enough about sitting in front of a TV watching matches all the time.

It's a matter of knowing what available where you live

I wonder was Albert ever up Scealp Mountain

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement