Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ah yes, I seem to remember very similar crowing about there being no appetite for Brexit based of General Elections in the UK , and then endless panic when they realised the game was up 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

The panic was on both sides you know. They never expected to go through, they were just using it as a rallying tool, but they didn't actually wanted it (with some exceptions of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Thats sensible but you can bet a large number of these Brazilians will jumping on Helens amnesty plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I agree 100%. I'm just raising the fact that the guy arrived years ago and overstayed. I'd like to see a serious crackdown on crime, not the lenient legal gravy train serving slap on the wrist sentencing that's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Illegal migrants are illegal migrants.............unless they are Irish, then they are just undocumented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Even though reality have give them several punches politically, they never learn. They really struggle to grasp that their social media feeds and what news outlets and politicians have to say, doesn't reflect what's actually happening on the ground. It's the same with the LGBT stuff, they think the majority are their allies, but in reality the majority doesn't care, and spends little to no time thinking about them.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

There should be a crackdown on these make-pretend English schools which are legal visa for money rackets but apparently we need this cheap labor. Well, we don't, the hospitality industry does, we're just paying the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

Mathematics is not a philosophy. 8 people living in a 2 bedroom apartment is not a philosophical debate, it's a numerical problem. The housing crisis is not philosophical, the healthcare situation is not philosophical. It's raw reality that can be enumerated. Beyond the libellous rumour that 7 ate 9, there is no propaganda in addition and subtraction.

On the other hand, trying to circumnavigate raw reality does require propaganda, does require a philosophy. Justifying negative realities requires a simpering "but Plato said that 10 to a bed was righteous!"

My numbers versus your philosophical justifications are not comparable. And that's why you outright refuse to answer a simple question, "why expedite an extra 40,000 non EU migrants into a country patently bursting with too many people?"

The answer is that there is no justification, and your philosophy falls on its arse on the first hurdle.

I'm curious as I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but how do you know what his immigration status is /was?

was it reported somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Or unless you're Helen McEntee...

I view anyone working illegally in a country as an illegal migrant whether they're in Ireland or the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

The David Mamet principle:

In order to continue advancing their illogical arguments modern liberals have to pretend not to know things…

E.G

We have a housing crisis....lets have more migrants

We have a climate crisis...lets have more migrants

We have a biodiversity crisis...lets have more migrants

We have a school class size crisis...lets have more migrants

etc etc

It's a cult. To even suggest to a cultist that there may be an alternative way of looking at things leads not to reflection but rather to a frenzied piling of the pyre on which to burn the heretic.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I feel exactly the same about illegal Irish migrants. No sympathy whatsoever.

Going to ask again as maybe you missed it the first time. You claim:

The thing is, the Brazilian chap was here as an English language student and seems to have 'overstayed' his visa buy quite a few years. 

He came here on a study visa as mentioned in numerous articles. Such a visa is 8 months in length and you are allowed 3 for a total of 24 months.

He arrived here in Feb 2019 and would have gotten his first study visa taking him to Oct 2019, his second would have taken him to Jun 2020.

Due to covid, all study visa were given multiple repeat extensions, 8 or 9 in total I think. This was due to processing being suspended for study visas from the first lockdown, Mar 2020, onwards.

Do you have any evidence that confirms he overstayed any visa?

I doubt you have, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt to provide proof. I'd hate to have caught you in a lie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Do keep up. I know; I know in this latest trial it appears some Ahmed got stabby when the bronagh he was bangin decided to take it elsewhere.

Savoury lookin fella, of course

After a real fight, its great to see this family has been allowed to stay

*Opting out of the EU freedom of movement of people.

Everyone can complain all they want about housing and health care overcrowding but unless you are willing to do something its all just pointless complaining.

And the risk associated with it if Europe called Irelands bluff....there just isnt the support in Ireland to leave like Britain did and as pointed out it would be economic suicide.

So.....are we stuck with this and what are the alternatives?

There are billions of people in the world. Much of them very deserving of a better life.

We cannot take them all. We should not take them all. Swamping Ireland/EU with people, whether they are good people or not, is also economic suicide. Its impersonal, its simply numbers.

Muhammad's mother, Fatima Ali, has just given birth to her fourth child

Nice, the more the merrier. Maybe DP is not that bad after all, it would be irresponsible to keep popping out children there otherwise, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Yonce

Expensive bike , wish I could buy one too, unfortunately Im a health care worker, should have studied harder for my degree...

• Advertisement

Who said we should take billions of people into Ireland? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Tighten up on all non-EU visas.

Make Brazilians have to get visas to enter Ireland.

Deport ALL illegals.

Theres 3 alternatives to what we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You asked a question, you got an answer.

You didn’t like the answer you got, but it was an answer nonetheless.

I couldn’t even be bothered to get into entertaining your argument because it’s based upon pretending that you give a shyte about the country. It’s based upon pretending that we can’t address issues simultaneously, yet that’s what our Government with all it’s various departments does, every day.

You want to pretend Ireland’s population density means we don’t have any room for more people, yet one third of the population live in the capital city, like the rest of Ireland which isn’t as densely populated, doesn’t exist. The apartment analogy simply doesn’t work - Ireland can MAKE more room to accommodate more people if it wants to.

You can’t call your numbers reality, because mathematics itself is entirely philosophical, the figures you’re bandying about, don’t stand on their own. You’re arguing that it’s simple mathematics, but it’s not. Your example of it being a numerical problem for eight people living in a two bedroom apartment ignores the reality that it happens every day, and it’s not a problem. You DECIDE it’s a problem based upon your standards which are based upon your philosophy.

All the ‘crisis’ you mentioned, they’re based upon perspective. The latest one I heard this morning is that people are experiencing ‘energy poverty’. It’s not just a case that people are experiencing poverty any more, there appears to be an attempt to frame poverty in such a way as to make it into a crisis, like the ‘housing crisis’, which is predicated upon broadening the criteria for how homelessness is defined -

2.—A person shall be regarded by a housing authority as being homeless for the purposes of this Act if—

(a) there is no accommodation available which, in the opinion of the authority, he, together with any other person who normally resides with him or who might reasonably be expected to reside with him, can reasonably occupy or remain in occupation of, or

(b) he is living in a hospital, county home, night shelter or other such institution, and is so living because he has no accommodation of the kind referred to in paragraph (a),

and he is, in the opinion of the authority, unable to provide accommodation from his own resources.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1988/act/28/section/2/enacted/en/html#sec2

This is why I refer to your claims as propaganda -

: the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person

: ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause

also  : a public action having such an effect

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/propaganda

It’s why I can casually dismiss your rabble rousing bollocks referring to anyone who doesn’t share your opinions regarding immigration, as a bastard who wants to ruin the country, for the rabble rousing BS that it is. It’s obvious you’re not the least bit concerned about any threat posed by immigration - you’ll seek to condemn anyone who doesn’t share your opinions on a whole range of issues, their nationality or citizenship status doesn’t actually matter.

I think people will ignore that we have a housing crisis to suit their ideology. We have asylum seekers sleeping on floors.

And more and more are coming in over the summer. God help the students when they look for accommodation in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

AKA: Charity, one of the legs of the shaky stool of the politic of multiculturalism. It's the least woodwormed leg compared to the exoticism fetish and we wuz migrantz onze I grant you. Still, his question, clumsy as it is, does look around for an answer. If your fridge is looking empty, you don't invite more people around for a meal. 

Been in that situation more times than I’d care to admit to tbh, and that’s exactly what I did - admitted that the fridge was empty and I didn’t have anything, and could they bring something with them. Whoever turned up was fed and drank and everyone had a good time. From their perspective, some people who I’ve told that to have kinda scratched their heads and wondered have I any self-respect. Don’t get me wrong, I get the point of the analogy, but for me it’s always been the case that I’d do the same for anyone else if they were in that situation, and I don’t question whether they have any self-respect for themselves, because I don’t believe in kicking people when they’re down. I don’t generally go to the effort of explaining THAT much to anyone though - people either get it, or they don’t.

The current Ukrainian crisis is at least understandable in the response, if the apparently near complete lack of planning and foresight isn't. Though it speaks vloumes that a war in Syria that to date has more deaths and destruction and refugees and has gone for longer didn't tickle our "charity" fancy nearly so much. We took in one tenth of the number of Syrians over ten years and each one was vetted to the hilt. Yet in three months... Lucky for the Ukrainians that they don't tan so readily. 

Gonna be honest Wibbs I know SFA about the situation in Syria and that neck of the woods. I know even less about Ukraine and stuff, it’s why I don’t get involved in those threads. There probably is an element of being unable to relate to a group that we have no affinity with, like based upon the colour of their skin, but it’s probably more cultural and political reasons that we don’t have the same affinity with Syria as we do with Ukraine. I’m also willing to consider the idea that social media slacktivism has a greater part to play than any of the above factors though, because we aren’t too shabby about promoting other causes involving people who don’t look anything like the Casper white liberal types who display social media causes like merit badges on their profiles with as much understanding of the social and political contexts of conflicts in those countries as I do. Yesterday I was on Teams chatting to one of the girls from work who’s from Jordan. She was just gone home on holidays. I’d chat to her in the office before then and it never occurred to me to ask where she was from, I just figured she was from one of the *Stans 😁

My point is I guess that I don’t really care where people are from, I care about what I can do for people if they need help. It’s the standard I hold myself to, as opposed to the standard I hold other people to, or the idea of “well they never did anything for me, why should I go out of my way for them?” I hold Ireland as a country to the same standard - it’s our duty as a country to help people, no matter whether they’re Irish or foreign, or what country they’re from. I regard Ireland as a civilised society, and I’m proud of us as a nation that it’s people are as giving as they are, even if our Government aren’t. I don’t expect Government to do anything, it’s why I don’t encourage anyone to be dependent upon them to do anything. That’s why I’m never surprised by Government’s failure to do anything. Politicians, as demonstrated by their career choices, are inherently self-serving.

However the drive to pull more and more people that aren't "doctors and engineers" coming here legally from beyond EU shores is far less understandable. It's happy clappy pie in the sky come all, it'll be grand in our melting pot nonsense and it hasn't worked so well anywhere else in the "multicultural west". Again please give one example in any nation in the "multicultural west" where the exact same trends don't happen. Again, you can't, because there quite simply isn't one.

Now your position comes from a thoughtful and kind place rather than some hand me down blind faith seen in others, but IMHO it's still an extremely naive one and reality and social history demonstrates that.

Does the second part in bold go anywhere towards explaining the first part in bold? I mean, I can understand why… a lot of people really, wouldn’t be able to understand why I don’t care about immigrants social or economic status. I understand what the pull factors for them are - we’re a wealthy economy by comparison to the economies they’re coming from. I don’t want to STOP people from coming who can’t fend for themselves. That to me is like kicking people when they’re down.

I get where anyone is coming from who says it’s naïve, because it assumes the best in other people, as opposed to the opposite side of the coin which is to assume the worst of other people, and reality and social history have equally demonstrated how that perception and portrayal of other people plays out - it leads precisely to what we see not just in other countries, but even in our own with the conflict up in the North, conflict among communities, conflict among neighbours, even conflict among posters here where they say we have to help our own first.

Yet when the very people they claim we have to help - if one of them asks for help, the same people find every reason to say we shouldn’t be helping those people either, because this other group of people need help, and they always manage to find a group of people who we should help first. In reality there’s nothing stopping them from helping the people they claim need our help, but I disagree strongly with their idea that anyone else should only help the people who meet that person’s criteria. It’s false condemnation to condemn people who are helping one group of people and not helping other groups of people, because concepts like empathy and social responsibility just don’t function like that. That’s why this idea of “we should be helping our own people first”, while I get it, it just means I think to myself - we’re probably not talking about the same people.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

We have asylum seekers sleeping on floors.

Honestly, my heart isn't bleeding, even slightly, at hearing that.

What is Asylum intended for? To provide a refuge from danger, persecution, and the like. If they've made it to Ireland, then, they're safe.. and being fed, access to medical care, etc. So what if they have to sleep on some floors (although I'm seeing mattresses and duvets in the photo) for a while?

Part of the problem with Asylum or the Refugee programme for Ukrainians is this expectation that we should be providing top quality care for those who arrive. Meh. As long as they're in a place that is fit to live in.. what's the problem? Perhaps they should have brought enough finances to provide for themselves.. and no, not all Asylum seekers come from poor circumstances. Many come from reasonably decent backgrounds, and have their own funds on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,271 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Colleges are still housing them on campus… loads in the one near me.

come September my guess is they’ll be moved to hotels….can’t expect students from outside Dublin to live in hotels and there won’t be as many rooms going in houses.

then there might be a bit of a business vs business punch up of sorts…. 6 months later is Paddy’s day… the larger business community will lose their shït… especially after what a lot of them had to endure during covid if tourists are turned away due to lack of hotel rooms….I’d back them on this one..

ditto for other bank holiday’s ..

situation is a fûcking mess… as usual now in these scenarios the native taxpayers are the last to get considered and they sure as shît have no say in the matter. None whatsoever…

These people need to be somewhere and won’t disappear into the ether when we, Irish people require these resources, services and amenities all of which we have paid for and are paying for…for ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

You racist, why can we not take a billion non-Irish?

Surely we would live in some sort of multicultural utopia if this happened?

Advertisement