Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

I don't see anyone saying its "not a f*ckin horrendous waste of life"

You also said

"Nobody's disputing who's responsible for all this"

You absolutely sure about that? Tbh there's the faux excuses being pushed about Putins invasion of Ukraine and its everyone else's fault but his own and that includes this thread. Then there's some hand wringers who seem to think its the Ukraines fault 'cos they should just acquiesce to Putins demands or wtte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

That sounds plausible, for obvious reasons. Germany is easily reachable by train, UK is awkward to get to. Also much closer to Ukraine. There are very few arriving here who aren't leaving a son or brother or partner or father behind, people don't want to be too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭rogber

Yeah there's maybe 1 in a hundred even here who's blaming NATO or saying Putin is great but why even bring that up? Just for the sake of disagreeing on something?The overwhelming majority of us, for all our other disagreements, agree who started this and who's to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Not just by train. It's a six-hour drive, motorway throughout, there are numerous long distance coach operators operating between the border area and numerous German cities. So it's really a surprise that not more have come there, all the more so since some Polish cities are apparently at capacity, or at least they were a few weeks ago. That might have eased a little, given the number of people who are heading back to Ukraine.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Is the threat of a nuclear ☢️ strike from putin still a possibility ……haven’t heard much of his ‘trash talk’ lately…..?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,499 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I imagine Solovyov and Skabayeva will have a lot to say tonight about Macron & Co's visit. It will be interesting to watch the clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Also from "nobody" to "1 in a hundred"? I reckon there's been a fair few recently of that view.

And why not bring it up? Afaik you said you didn't disagree. So what's the problem? If you're just looking for an argument for nothing, Id say don't bother.

Highly unlikely. There's been no change in the posture of the strategic missile and bomber forces. Whilst some land-based mobile ICBM units recently conducted exercises, this is nothing out of the ordinary. The same goes for the ballistic missile submarines, at least those operating out of the Kola Peninsula. There's been no reports from reliable OSINT accounts that would indicate an increase from their usual peacetime operations. It's a bit harder to keep an eye out on the subs operating out of the bases on the Kamchatka peninsula in the Russian Far East, given that there are no handy Nato nations nearby, but there's no reason to believe that those boats are operating under a different state of readiness to their Northern Fleet counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It's not going to happen. Use or threat of use of nuclear weapons would oblige both the UK and USA to directly defend Ukraine bring both the UK and USA into direct conflict with Russia. Russia will not want to provoke that into happening.

• Advertisement

That means Russia most have had some severe losses in their advances in Donbas as well lately

Ukrainian officials stated that Russian forces have already committed about 330,000 servicemen to their invasion of Ukraine without conducting partial or full-scale mobilization in Russia. Ukrainian General Staff Main Operations Deputy Chief Oleksiy Gromov stated that Russian forces grouped 150,000 servicemen into battalion tactical groups (BTGs) and other formations and involved additional 70,000 troops from air and sea elements, with the remaining personnel staffing non-combat support units.Gromov noted that Russian forces committed more than 80,000 servicemen of the mobilized reserve, up to 7,000 reservists of the Russian Combat Army Reserve (BARS-2021), up to 18,000 members of the Russian National Guard (Rosguardia), and up to 8,000 troops from private military companies. Gromov did not specify if Ukrainian officials included information about forcibly mobilized servicemen in the Donetsk and Luhansk People’s Republics (DNR and LNR) in these numbers. Gromov noted that the Kremlin may still increase the number of Russian military personnel in Ukraine by executing covert or full mobilization. Gromov noted that while it is unknown if the Kremlin will declare mobilization, Russian forces will still need time to execute the deployment and training of the new personnel whether or not the Kremlin announces full mobilization.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Love you confident response but this guy is unpredictable and totally blinded to reality……if you can believe the ****-talk that went on before and in the early days of this ‘special military operation’, he expected a 2/3 day cave in / welcome even from the newly ‘liberated’ Ukrainians….shots of vodka etc even being dished out to his ‘orcs’ from the general public…..remember the 40 mile convoy of Russian tanks etc that were lined up on the way to Kiev/Kyiv in the early days…was this not the dumbest military manoeuvre ever……?total sitting ducks for the Ukrainians to bomb/obliterate lines up with putins deluded mind……now we have the USA/Biden declaring on nearly a daily basis all the sophisticated weapons that is being delivered to take out naval vessels etc….. poking this ‘bear/abomination of a human’ too much is there not a serious risk that a version of the ‘red’ button could used….?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I would put it this way. Don't confuse a personality disorder with not have full cognitive ability. And don't think that having full cognitive ability makes you smart.

He obviously has a personality disorder. Sociopath maybe...paranoia definitely.

He isn't mad. But he is not emotionally healthy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shivaz

A boat transporting weapons to snake island was destroyed.Snake island has been heavily fortified over the last few weeks though.

The Ammunition stockpile in Luhansk that was hit yesterday was a major supply to the Severodonetsk area and may slow down operations for the russians.There was a similar hit in the Kherson area a few days ago.Russia have a lot of ammunition but these hits will weaken russian power and will probably become more common as Ukraine weapon ranges get longer and more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Russian Su-25 crashed in Belgorod region, pilot ejected and safe - Russian Western Military District

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Very interesting... That's well inside Russia, any further details?

Edit - Google translate...

A Su-25 aircraft crashed in the Belgorod region today during a planned training flight, the press service of the Western Military District reports.

The pilot ejected and was evacuated to the base airfield. There is no threat to the health of the pilot. The plane crashed in a deserted place, there is no destruction on the ground.

According to preliminary information, a technical malfunction could become the cause of the incident. A commission of the Russian Aerospace Forces is working on site.

That's fair low, the boys taking inspiration from Maverick 😅 "Stay on target!"

• Advertisement

Putin has more to gain from having nukes than he has from using them, and he knows it. Right now, the threat of the use of nuclear weapons is keeping NATO and the other western Allies from taking direct action in the war. If Russia were to start launching nukes, even just “small” tactical nuclear weapons for use on the battlefield, it would void that deterrence value that nuclear weapons have for the Kremlin at the moment. It would, instead, likely galvanise the west into taking direct actions both on the battlefield in Ukraine and by direct air assaults on Russia to attempt to eliminate the leadership, possibly even a land offensive, which is exactly what Putin does not want to happen.

Crucially, and arguably more importantly, such a move would seriously rattle China, possibly enough to make them side with Ukraine and the West in this fight. Whilst the Chinese leadership has been content with straddling the fence and playing both sides of the conflict thus far, the prospect of a neighbouring country that is so completely out of control that it is lobbing nukes around presents a threat to national security that Beijing will not be able to ignore.

Putin and his cronies may be psychotic, but they are not suicidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Im still not sure about this...

I get what your saying, but I think if Russia did start using nukes in Ukraine then the west would be even more wary of getting involved.

Once Putin and Russia show their hand in that way then the west knows that Putin and Russia are willing to go nuclear when things dont go their way. Would western nations then risk a full on nuclear war that could end civilization?

It would probably be the end for Russia as it would lose them just about any allies it has left like China, but I still dont think the west would directly engage Russia over it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Directly maybe not, but any pretence around supplying weapons to Ukraine would be gone, the West would flood the place with all they had. The Ukrainians have put up extremely strong resistance with the relatively small numbers of modern western weapons that have gone in, if that number went up to that degree Russia would be screwed and they well know it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

how long does candidate status last? Turkey has been a candidate for a generation now

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Until country is ready to join, and the current members agree to it (unanimously).

It is not a seniority thing. Do you think Turkey is ready to join?

IMO it is getting further and further away from ever joining the EU every single day. Even if it met all criteria and hadn't started a slide to being a dictatorship, + regularly making military threats to 2 of the members and now of course blocking another 2 of them from joining NATO out of spite, it would have been quite a tricky one!

It's very muslim and very poor + has a bad and violent history with several members who would be suspicious of it. Some of them could have vetoed it joining, no matter what the govt. there did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The bravery of these guys is just astounding. As you can hear by the accents, these are volunteer units who joined the UA to help defend the country.

I'm in awe of them.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I read that the US can launch nuclear weapons at the sole behest of the President whereas it takes the agreement of several people in Russia. Putin cannot unilaterally authorise a launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Turkey are a sort of weird 'frenemy' of the West. Allies on some topics, but opponents on others. What I think also plays a part would be that Turkey is more socially-conservative than Western Europe and probably wouldn't accept many directives in this realm. Basically, it would be like Hungary, but much larger. I don't think the EU wants to take that on right now, and probably not ever.

If Ukraine can fulfil the membership criteria, then I see no problem with them joining the EU, but it shouldn't be a rushed process. Lots of help can (and should) be given to Ukraine in light of their current problems, but it needn't extend to hasty EU membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,448 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Uhh... yathink that'd be a problem for him?

POTUS doesn't have the last word in the US even after giving the command afaik. This came up during the #2xIMPOTUS's tenure, people were nervous with such a wing-nut at the helm with the football within reach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

It will be at least a decade before Ukraine is ready to become a full member, I don’t see Turkey becoming one in my lifetime tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement