Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

2011 will always be the big disappointment for me and I agree, dropping Sexton / Reddan for the Wales game was sentimental and foolhardy. France were there to be beaten - it was a big missed opportunity with a massively talented squad all fit and firing going into the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

How do ye think the 23 will look like for the first Māori game? Think it’ll be along the lines of:

Loughman Heffernan O Toole

McCarthy treadwell

prendergast coombes timoney

Casey byrne

frawley Hume

JOB Lowry Larmour

herring Porter Bealham Baird Pom Murray aki Lowe/Hansen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I doubt very much it will be that experimental. They are trying to replicate World Cup conditions. So most of the bench for the first test are likely to start this game. I’d imagine anyway.

For the first game I expect it will be. You’ve a Wednesday to Saturday turnover with four games yet to play after. The second Māori game could see more experienced lads get game time with a threat to Saturday turn over and only one game left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Bold prediction - Cian Prendergast will get a cap in one of the tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

I dont think its that bold a prediction, either him or Ryan Baird will get a run at 6 in one test I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Shehal

The first Maori game I expect it to be a complete scratch team plus maybe Beirne or Aki who needs minutes and as a result may only make the bench in the first test with an eye to them coming into the XV for the 2nd test.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Do you think? To be clear I was referring to the All Blacks games only, I don't think the Maori games are international tests but open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

cause stuart hogg is a lions class 10...........

have to disagree, after rwc 2011 things fell of a cliff largely but 2009 -2011 was decent, peaking at the start yes but it didnt dip too much pre rwc 2011. and sexton most definitely wasnt at his peak, for ireland at least anyway, england was pretty much the one game for ireland he played well that year, maybe the argentina game in the AIs in 2010 too. he was average at best against aus and his goalkicking wasnt cutting it so benching him made sense. may have been a bit harsh on reddan in fairness but it was 50/50 between him and murray so it probably made sense to keep the munster halves together.

sexton played fantastically for leinster that season but was largely poor for ireland apart from the england game (which he was lucky to start as he had been very poor when he came on in the wales game the previous week), it made sense to give him as many starts as possible to build his experience but when it came down to the crunch time in the rwc it made sense to bench him. kidney may have got alot of things wrong (a helluva lot after that especially) but how he dealt with sexton and o gara was one he definitely got right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Did you consider that maybe one of Sextons issues playing for Ireland at Test level was the constant in and out and an inability to build any experience in the position because of how Kidney juggled the two 10s? Sure ROG announced he would retire after the Aus game. That’s hardly a sign of good man management behind the scenes.

Also, we absolutely did get worse from 2009 onwards. We came 2nd in 2010 and 3rd in 2011. In each year we scored less tries and points while moving down the table. Bear in mind too that in 2011 we were home to the big 2. The England performance almost came out of nowhere and saved what would otherwise have been a very poor tournament. One where we only beat Italy by 2 points with a DG in the last few mins. And one where Kidney was pairing TOL with Sexton and Reddan with ROG until that last game. The one where we actually delivered a performance.

Then our best performance in the RWC was with Reddan and Sexton at 9 and 10, yet that was also the only time we saw that pairing all tournament. Our 2 best performances had the HEC winning half back pairing in them and yet in the 3 remaining games they weren’t selected to start together once.

In the 2012 6Ns we got a bit of a bump in terms of performances although still only came 3rd. We scored more and looked far better until the Tom Court fiasco in Twickenham (where we were playing for 2nd). And guess what changed? Kidney backed Reddan and Sexton. We had consistency in selection at 9 and 10 for the first time since 2010.

the 2011 6N was the only time he wasn't first choice for ireland after the 2009 SA game, as ive stated already o gara only started the first two 2010 6N games as sexton was out for the italy game and coming back from a layoff against france. o gara started one game of the summer tour and one game (samoa) of the AIs, sexton was backed and started every other game up to the scotland 6N game in 2011 where he had been playing so poorly that he had to be dropped, development or not. agreed TOL wasnt playing particularly well either and should have been dropped earlier, but they had played very well as a combination pre 2011 6N so that cant be too much of an excuse. i also wouldnt exactly read too much into o garas retirement announcement, he was visibly emotional and id imagine being away from his family for the extended period was much more of a reasoning rather than declan kidney's man management - something which he is pretty famous for (much as they didnt have a great relationship all the same)

again as ive said already, sexton was poor in rwc 2011, especially his goalkicking. fine, he and reddan started against aus but the missed penalties from sexton meant the game was much closer than it needed to be and he wasnt exactly doing anything amazing in open play either. (yet) again, it may have been harsh to bench reddan too as ive already said, but i can see the logic of keeping teammates together

completely disagree regarding the 2012 6N too, ireland were largely poor all tournament and in their one decent performance away to france sexton was shocking in the second half, though it made more sense to keep backing him since o gara wasnt likely to be around for the next rwc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Kidney oversaw perhaps Ireland's best ever World Cup outside 1991.

You can't ask much more than to break new ground by doing things that hadn't/haven't been done before. The Australia victory was Ireland's first win over a major rugby nation at a World Cup, and it was the first time Ireland topped their pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭ersatz

Whatever about ROG, Farrell has made his bed here in Carbery and H Byrne as 2 and 3 behind Johnny. I hope both start tests in NZ as we are definitely running out of time if they don't. HB has never started a test for Ireland and only has two caps. As third choice there's a very good chance he will play, and maybe start, a life or death WC match next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Realistically, unless someone comes storming out of the gate at the start of next season and looks like they could be a genuine replacement for Sexton, we are absolutely goosed if we need to use a third, or even second choice 10 in a crunch game in the world cup. Everyone below Sexton has either reached their ceiling, or is too young and a WC cycle away from their best.

I've abandoned various debates on here as posters argue that no backups have taken the jersey off Sexton. It's whistling past the graveyard. It will be a miracle if JS can put together 3 or 4 or 5 games in the WC, it just won't happen. We will be lucky if he benches and survives the campaign. Someone was saying earlier that Eamon Coughlin ran sub 4s in his 40s. I wonder would he have been doing that if a 17 stone flanker was hammering him every time he ran. There's no chance we won't use a backup in the world cup and it's highly likely the third choice will be heavily involved. The coach simply has to plan for it.

Honestly, I'm assuming this tour is when we will find out. If Byrne gets starts agains the Maori, does well and starts a test then it could seal the deal for him. It's why I'd love to see both Carbery and Byrne start tests. I'd hate to go into next season in the same place we've been, which is to say there are 4 or 5 backups with nothing between them.

The coach can’t create a Test quality 10 with play doh and good intentions. By having a look at basically everyone he could have he clearly has been trying to plan for it. But you can’t come up with a good plan if you don’t have good options. It’s impossible.

But if that’s where we realistically are then we can’t change that.

• Advertisement

This is the circle that's driven me insane on here. The coach doesn't have a choice, he needs to name a team for every match regardless of whether he thinks they are good enough. If Johnny goes down, which the coach has to plan for because he's nearly 40, then he needs two other tens. He likes HB but the guy has never started a test! He needs to, end of story. Otherwise he should have taken Burns to NZ. If there is nothing between the others then he just has to toss a coin or go down the list of attributes and go with the two he is going with, give them as much coaching and experience as he can and just accept that it's one of those times when we don't have a great ten. It happens. I'd prefer HB to have a start agains the Maori and the ABs rather than not if there's chance he is starting a game at the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I agree with some of what you're saying. The other options do need game time, regardless of whether they're as good as Sexton or not.

But nobody can argue that Carbery hasn't been given plenty of game time. Since his return from his long-term injury in early 2021, Ireland have played 10 tests, and Carbery has started 4 of them, 2 of which were v tier 1 nations (3 if you count Japan as tier 1), and I'm 99% sure he'll start at least 1 test in NZ. He's also been playing big European games regularly for Munster. So Carbery has had every opportunity to establish himself as a test standard 10. Say what you will about Farrell, but he's been very consistent on who his no.2 out half is.

But this is why I find the H.Byrne selection strange. In nailing his colours to the mast that H.Byrne is his no.3, he's put himself in a position where he needs to give him minutes in big games and probably start him in at least one test between now and the RWC, when he's been playing virtually no big games for Leinster. Burns has been playing in massive games for Ulster and he's for the most part been very solid this season. Burns being 28 vs H.Byrne being 23 doesn't matter at this stage in the cycle. If the world cup was in 3 or 4 years I'd understand, but it isn't, it's in less than 18 months. H.Byrne, who's had an incredibly injury disrupted season with some very mixed form, will need to go through incredible growth in that time to become good enough for that level.

agreed, i find it bizarre that it will most likely turn out that the 3rd choice irish 10 at the next rwc will also still be the 3rd choice 10 at leinster

You're finally coming around TRC 😉. Carbery is the selection of the IRFU, Schmidt, JVG & Farrell for good or bad. He has had plenty game time and we know what he can't do. It doesn't matter as we aren't going to find someone a whole lot better in time for the WC. The real issue is the #3 (which I argued at length with you and others a few weeks ago). The third choice ten at the WC will likely play an important part in a knockout game, maybe more than one. Right now that guy has never started a test and he should in NZ. Maybe Carty or Burns are a better pick, it doesn't really matter now. I just hope Farrell sticks with these two and does as much work with them in preparation as its possible to do.

i dunno, cant see him playing 10 for leinster but frawley could leapfrog him though

It’d be a surprise to me if Carbery starts a test match ahead of a fit sexton, would be completely shocked if Harry byrne even makes the bench in a test match if the other two are fit. Not what I want personally just what I expect

It would be insane of Farrell to start JS in all 3 tests though that doesn't mean it won't happen.

I didn't mean Ngatai will play 10. But I believe we'll see far more of Frawley at 10 with Ngatai coming in.

I've got a feeling that Leo/Stuart are aware of Ross Byrne's limitations and know he probably isn't good enough to win a H.Cup and are looking to transition Frawley back to 10. I think that was a big part of the thought process behind the Ngatai signing. Ngatai won't be coming cheap, he's an ex-All Black and starter at a Top14 club, and splashing money on him wouldn't make sense if they had Henshaw and Frawley as their options at 12. But if Frawley is moving position it makes a lot more sense. Similar to how they signed Ala'alatoa to "replace" Porter last season. Just my theory.

• Advertisement

ah yeah i was wondering, dont think ive ever seen ngatai at anywhere other than 12 or 15 but i get ye

i think moving frawley back to 10 would just be another carbery situation tbh, hes a great player and can do a job at 10 if needed but hed be much better utilised elsewhere. think ross byrne comes in for a serious amount of unfair criticism too tbh, hes very good 90% of the time, but i think leinster (and Ireland) are so reliant on JS as a leader that any other 10 is on a hiding to nothing. that, combined with his poor performances coming in games where the rest of the leinster (again, and ireland) team were fairly terrible, means theres a very unfair and pessimistic view of his abilities

Advertisement