Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Championship Dreamers Thread II: Hyper Adverts Retro Gaming Edition!!!

• 11-05-2022 9:31am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭

From a comment by Cosmic Smash, of this parish, I think there is enough fúkwittery on Adverts to warrant this new dedicated Dreamers thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Great idea! Just going to lay a bit of black and white tiling down to get the thread kicked off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A little steep for a Gamegear with a screen mod €500!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yeah - saw that one alright - not like there's anything special with it and it's not even boxed at that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm dying, the game isn't even included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jeepers!

I must put up on Adverts those Sega magic beans I have...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I hear they take ages to grow

Speaking about Sega magic beans!

Only €300 for a Sega Master System!

Don't all bid at once!

These sellers are probably thinking there’s interest cause they’re getting a whack of views.

Nobody tell them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is that from a previous regular that bid on 20 master systems drunkenly and woke up to see he'd won 16 of them?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

I miss his stories about the Tallaght warzone :D

Ram raiding GameStop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Dublinandy3

The person commenting on it has told him it's worth 130, is it really? I would have thought that a boxed one would struggle at 130. I stopped selling on adverts about a year ago so maybe prices have just rocketed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

To be fair, this seller is always comedy gold. But folks seem to be buying despite everything being well above CEX prices and even eBay prices in most cases.

Been picking up a lot myself on adverts of late trying to rebuild my former collection (my timing could not be worse) and there seems to be 2 categories... flippers who have been watching too many YouTube flipping channels and dreamers who saw an article on the daily mail and think that their mouldy PS2 with 16 copies of Eyetoy is basically as rare as a faberge egg and worth just as much. Somewhere in the middle there are a tiny minority of actual collectors like myself trying to get a slightly better deal than CEX or Ebay prices.

Speaking of which, have CEX always been unrepentant gougers or is this a recent thing? When they landed here you could expect roughly sold listing on Ebay kind of prices but they seem to be charging that +15% these days.

Master of the Universe

I was looking through the game selection in CEX on Liffey Street last weekend, really frustrating experience.

Went basically like this:

Boring game, boring game, boring game - oooh! interesting game! - looks at price - HOLY **** **** WHAT ARE THEY ON - puts game back - boring game, boring game, boring game - ooh! interesting game! - looks at price - ###!!!~@~!!!! ffs!!! - puts game back - leaves shop with nothing.

CEX are largely overpriced and serve to set a market floor. Which has been detrimental to those of us trying to collect in general.

That being said they are massively underpriced on a select few things also (some PSP games spring to mind, but only pop up rarely).

That being said, at least they have some stuff of interest and you can trade. When I was trying to build up with Wii collection, I found that any non shovelware game was madly expensive so I ended up buying complete Wii bundles to get the games I want and trading the Wii's and the shovelware back.. then using that money to buy more expensive stuff that I wanted but would not in a million years walk in there and pay cash for.

Speaking of which. Anyone looking for about 9 Wiis ? Lol.

• Advertisement

She's a cracker alright, always a nice follow-up punchline in there as well with today's being the €50 postage casually tacked on.

Master of the Universe

Looking through their other ads - you have to wonder, why in god's name would anyone go to the effort of listing that many ads at such insane prices that will never sell?

Look at their sold ads, this stuff is actually shifting by the looks of it.

Master of the Universe

Wow, they sure make for some interesting reading.

Someone paid 85 quid for a Harry Potter PS2 game

Edit - looking at ebay LOTS of people paying that for a Happy Potter PS2 game. Mental stuff, you'd think a game like that would be insanely common and cheap as chips.

That's where collecting crosses the line and becomes a full on disease. Zero fun at that level.

The buyer or the seller in this instance?

I'm increasingly coming across that phenomenon where people are editing their sold ads to conceal sale prices. I get why but you can't help but squint at it a bit for the effort involved.

The buyer. The "need to have it all" at any cost just isn't enjoyable.

Re obfuscation of sold ads, half of me thinks that's to cover shill buyers, and/or abuse the bumping system.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Could be fake accounts they setup , making offers and accepting then leaving positive feedback just to up their numbers there? Deleting them afterwards like that to hide it could that be possible ?

• Advertisement

Was thinking a bit of that, but what's there looks legit, so figured it's a mixture of the bump thing mentioned and protecting prices. It's bleak reading regardless.

A little bit pricey for a very good game, €600 for SotN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Wood

I'm in a bit of a hole for cash and was going to put up my snes collection on adverts, so a question to the masses here:

Has the world of collecting gone completely insane with prices now?

It's gotten to the stage where i'd feel like Dick Turpin if i put it up for anything close to what's being asked. Has covid skyrocketed the prices or is it just greed at this stage? I'm genuinely curious as i wouldn't be able to afford to begin collecting now and i'm working full-time and am in my 40's

It's been on the up for years, increased exposure to collecting and copious amounts of greed have fueled prices to thr current bananas levels

Master of the Universe

Yeah it was already on the up as Inviere said, covid has had a huge impact too - across the board with lots of collecting hobbies, people just had more money to spend as they weren't going out/going away and were sitting board at home browsing the internet with loads of cash!

We might see a little bit of a cooling off period, watch collecting is cooling off a bit after prices going through the roof due to covid. Hard to know though.

Do you have many rare/valuable snes games? If I were you I'd start by putting them on ebay first.

Nothing too mad or rare, but even the likes of contra alien wars cart only going for 60 quid is madness.

I was thinking of a fair price for the lot but after going through my stuff, individually pricing them it's easily double what I thought. Might have to cash in on the NES too if it's gonna be like this for a while.

Really don't feel good about it though, i feel like i'll be ripping some poor sod off with rare prices for common/uncommon games.

• Advertisement

I doubt they'll go hungry if they are spending stupid money on snes games.

Master of the Universe

The really horrible aspect to this, if you do let it go for a song, there's a high probability the person who buys it from you will just flip it on to someone else for the higher prices.

At least you know if you're charging the market rate it can't really be flipped.

Yeah you're right, I'll stick em up on adverts this evening and see what happens. Sure it'll help pay the gas bill either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Definitely wouldn’t feel guilty about asking mad eBay prices if I needed to cover the cost of living!

I'm increasingly finding it harder to decipher what's being posted with an Adverts tax and what's actually just a mental price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Dublinandy3

When you list something at 150 euro more than it'd cost you to buy from the never reasonable local CEX you know you're doing it wrong:

https://touch.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/super-nintendo-mini-sega-mega-drive-mini-sony-playstation-classic/27037319

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

12" Monochrome Monitor for 120 yo-yos: https://www.adverts.ie/other-computers/vintage-philips-monitor-monochromatic-12/27091742?utm_source=email&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=SearchAlert

Unless it's some of sort of collector's item I'm unaware of

As much as I would like one, this is very steep for something that is still for sale from Analogue themselves and for over €100 less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye...even with any courier/duty costs on top of a freely available new one, it's taking the piss

Controller included might give some leeway, but not much, especially if you have others to hand. Great controllers TBF

I made an offer of €200 and they mentioned customs.

When I look for one shipped from Analogue themselves, it works out at $240, which is €228.

I don't know if that includes import duties, I know folk around here have been rode ragged with those before.

But, remember, that is for a brand new one, this one is second hand and not a rare machine at that.

I'm not bothered with the controller, to be honest.

I am happy to use the original controllers and other devices I have lying around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I think if you're willing to pay 300 for one, (as if you get stung for the customs it's gonna bring it up to about that, and all things being equal, id take it into account), then new I'd say it's a no brainer over a used one.

Don't see any indication how old it is, how much use etc, but in any event its over the odds for what can be purchased new right now as you say. It's the Super NT that's far more inclined to be hard to get. Simple systems, so not much can go wrong, but I'd be far more comfortable with a fresh one.

I do love the M30, which may be hard to find in the 2.4g model (havent checked of late, but they certainly disappear from the likes of Amazon pretty sharpish), but as you say, there are many, many options so it's not a deal clincher by any means. Certainly not at 50note more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

30 Euro for the M20 2.4g version on AliExpress. Considerable price jump from when I got mine.

This one from retro-bit for fifteen quid would do the job nicely anyway I'd say:

https://amzn.eu/d/fEDKyRu

Sorry. I know this has gone off topic....

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

MAME cab going for €1500 that looks to have consulted a checklist of ways to get featured on this forum.

People aren’t actually paying these prices, are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭dav09

Looking through this person's "Sold" items I would say no. Any comments seem to be 1/3 of the price offered which are mostly turned down. I'm sure the odd one does sell as I'm sure there are people out there, I heard of one or two "retro" arcades that have came and gone here in recent years who supposedly paid well over 1k per cab for a few retropie cabs (as they didn't know what they were buying). I also see there's some bartop company who seems to shift a lot of bartops for way over the odds too here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Managed to get a good deal on the shipping for the jaguar

http://www.adverts.ie/26950966

• Advertisement
Advertisement